• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm going through a game at a relatively slow pace, but I really love it. I actually kind of cherish every new time I play it, as I know there won't be anything like this again anytime soon. So many things I love about the game:
- More exploration than ever.
- Puzzles at least as good as UC3.
- Environments that at times make you think a bit as to how to navigate and progress (a lot of the time thanks to rope, which is a great addition)
- Better combat options than ever. I love how you almost don't have to shoot if you don't want to except at some pre-scripted moments. But when the shooting starts it's fantastic.
- Lots of moments with relaxed pace and exposition where you still 'do stuff'
- A joy to control and to look at. The game really looks astonishing, animates even better, and is truly the best looking game right now, overall.
- Every time Elena shows up in the game I get goosebumps. I don't want to elaborate as it could be spoilery. But they did something incredibly right with the interactions between her and Drake.

Paganmoon

Considering the story DLC for TLoU was released as stand alone as well as game "bound", you figure they'll do the same with story DLC in UC4?

Alienous

Art dump (potential spoilers): http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?200729-Uncharted-4-A-Thief-s-End-Characters-Art-dump

Some avatar worthy stuff:

iATWU6w.jpg
7o7yPnB.jpg
gBe0geJ.jpg
2bVbcuM.jpg

A lot of that is awe-inspiring.

Some talented folks, definitely.

I feel the same. This was the first game I purchased since GT5 and was looking forward to it simply because the last game these directors made was TLOU. It's not a good game, unlike TLOU I will never play the SP again and unless co-op delivers, I'll just delete it off my hard drive.

It's only been a few weeks but can already tell this ain't going to be the kind of game that people have very fond memories of in a few years time, which TLOU and UC2 have enjoyed. It's a fuck up from Straley and particularly Druckmann, who should go write a book if he's serious about storytelling rather then forcing that down the throat of someone playing a game. Let's see where they go next, Druckmann was also writing that film but from the sounds of it, things don't look to be going brilliantly so hopefully he can put all his attention to fixing that. whilst Straley makes another game without such distractions.

It's such a shame that with this generation 3 years in, there's been no great game released. Mirrors Edge impressions are killing me, nipples going hard from Overwatch shows that standards are really really low at the moment. What a shit generation. :(

8/10

brau

Rich and Jack from Pre-Rec diddnt like UC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI

These guys are awesome haha. I watched this and had a good laugh throughout the whole video. They raise some interesting points, even if my experience with the game was not the same.

I would not rate them based on this video, they are actually super nice guys, and they care about gameplay, game mechanics and good design, and their talks on story and what not are usually very insightful.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My GOD

Chapter 11

MY GOD.

I am so happy I didn't spoil that. How in the name of all that is holy is that possible. How did they do this?
Total insanity. I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing beforehand as well. I love how they make you feel that anything can lead to anything. Like there's no technical limitation to what the game can do.

daripad

This encounter at chapter
is driving me mad. Makes me want to do a whole new run on Easy because I can't continue the story and I already want to know how this all ends lol

Any tips for that fight? Consider I'm playing on Crushing :/

brau

This encounter at chapter
is driving me mad. Makes me want to do a whole new run on Easy because I can't continue the story and I already want to know how this all ends lol

Any tips for that fight? Consider I'm playing on Crushing :/

I went to the left side where there is a bit more cover here. Tried to dispense as many with headshots. Once i had the sniper i could kill the big guys with the mini guns with headshots and steal one. Once i had the mini gun it was easy peasy.

I've seen plenty of replays of that level of people doing cool kills by swinging on the rope and shooting. I felt i was getting hit even when i was shooting on Crushing so that didn't go so well. Also, the right side has water you can swim under to avoid shooting.

Wait, you didn't spoil that set piece?

It's nuts, isn't it? Greatest Uncharted set-piece easily.

No man. I've learned my lesson after Uncharted 3. I don't watch anything but the reveal trailers anymore. That includes movies.

I wish people would at least mention (even in Spoiler tag) what the chapter is. lol. but yeah. welcome to unchartered 4. I need to replay soon.

Total insanity. I'm glad I didn't want the whole thing beforehand as well. I love how they make you feel that anything can lead to anything. Like there's no technical limitation to what the game can do.

That is it exactly. I don't know how they achieved it, its just absolutely unbelieveble. I truly didn't believe what I was seeing.

The other aspect that is just so incredible is how tight the gameplay is. With Uncharted 3 - (Spoiler for Uncharted 3 that will give the section away:)
They had a vehicle chase where you were going from vehicle to vehicle but it was nothing like this. The flow of the whole battle and being able to choose how to approach the fights(Either by ramming them off the road and jumping from car to car or lassoing onto the lead truck and sniping from the ground) to the fire spilling around Drake that looks like something out of a CG movie to the chase with the HUMVEE of HELL is just......

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

What the hell. How is this game possible? I just started chapter 12 and the amount of freedom and the visuals is just incredible.

We're you guys all freaking out from chapter 10 on? I can't believe how good this game is. They took the best parts of UC1 and 2 and mashed them together

Cornbread78

Fuck this fucking
sword fight with Raef. Such bullshit timing..
so poised after like the 10th try, I had to stop for a butt.. dammit.

My controller is about to be launched, this is ridiculously stupid.

This is ruining my thoughts on the entire game right now.

What the hell. How is this game possible? I just started chapter 12 and the amount of freedom and the visuals is just incredible.

We're you guys all freaking out from chapter 10 on? I can't believe how good this game is. They took the best parts of UC1 and 2 and mashed them together

How are you just playing this now?

Ya Ch 10-12 were nuts. Totally ludicrous visuals, gameplay, story and locations.

Noobcraft

I finally picked it up today. Playing through on crushing and so far I'm not having too much trouble, but the game has a really slow start. I just got to
ireland
and nothing has been that fun so far. My favorite part was the nostalgia trip in the attic so far. Kind of glad to hear that it should pick up soon.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is there still an easy way of getting the Sharpshooter trophy? I got the speed run trophy but really don't want to have to play through again for one trophy

Finish first level as accurately as possible, quit then choose the last level. I think that's how I read it being done.

My GOD

Chapter 11

MY GOD.

I am so happy I didn't spoil that. How in the name of all that is holy is that possible. How did they do this?

I did this a few nights ago with the bullet time modifier on and it was somehow even more unbelievable. Playing that whole section with unlimited slow mo crushing difficulty just blew me away. I took some pics of me being pulled by the rope, shooting a Jeep while it was exploding, while being pulled through some chicken coops and the chickens all flew out into the road. Totally fantastic chaos and perfectly smooth.

Glassboy

Man I can't believe the shooting sections are still just as terrible as they were in the first three games.
I still don't understand why people say this. I felt like 2,3, and 4 especially were all great shooters. Uc4 feels like one of the best controlling third-person shooters ever. What do you not like about the shooting? Don't say bullet sponges because anyone who actually plays the games knows that crap isn't true (aside from a few enemies)

SlickVic

Man I can't believe the shooting sections are still just as terrible as they were in the first three games.

Having just played Uncharted 2 right before this, definitely can say this wasn't true for me. To clarify, I'm specifically talking about the design of the combat encounters and not the "feel" of the shooting (never had an issue with the shooting itself in any of the games). Uncharted 2's combat encounters in the final 30-40% of that game were just exhausting to me. They just throw wave after wave of enemies at you seemingly every 5 minutes. You definitely get slapped with a lot more cheap deaths in the game as well. Oh the enemy just threw a grenade at you? Better hope you already cleared the rocket launcher dude in the area else you're probably about to be one hit killed by a heat seeking rocket as soon as you get out of cover.

Uncharted 4's combat scenarios are just so much better balanced. Even in more hectic fights, the areas tend to be big enough that even if enemies start going after you, you can maneuver around to a new vantage point or even have enemies lose track of you. UC4 to me does a much better job incentivizing you to get out of cover (beyond the old trick of enemies lobbing grenades to flush you out) by opening up the environment more so you can better use it to your advantage to flank enemies and also to get out of harm's way. It may not be the best third person shooter I've ever played, but coming off the Nathan Drake Collection, I can definitely see how much they've improved it, and I definitely had a lot more fun with the combat in this game. Exception being
the final boss battle, which IMO was just wonky. I failed a good 10 tries or so because I parried "wrong" and then randomly got it at the end even though I still missed a lot of parries. I'll just say Uncharted as a series never figured out boss battles, and it's kind of funny that the best one for me was Uncharted 3. Not because it was particularly exciting, but rather it was simply the least frustrating of the bunch.

How can anyone really feel this way? Honestly I don't get it. The shooting is fantastic and with 4 the refinements they have made put it at the top of great TPS mechanics

How are you just playing this now?

Ya Ch 10-12 were nuts. Totally ludicrous visuals, gameplay, story and locations.

My life has just been so crazy I finally got some time to enjoy it

I'm sorry but this is objectively wrong. I started Uncharted 1 right after 4 and they are simply night and day apart in terms of how the shooting feels. I was actually shocked at how much they've improved it in 4. Not just in relative terms though, the shooting is really great in U4, not MGSV-great but still excellent.

I'm sorry but this is objectively wrong. I started Uncharted 1 right after 4 and they are simply night and day apart in terms of how the shooting feels. I was actually shocked at how much they've improved it in 4. Not just in relative terms though, the shooting is really great in U4, not MGSV-great but still excellent.

Yeah the only other TPS that feels better to me this Gen is MGS5. Coming off of Quantum Break though I actually prefer UC4 in some ways though I think QB is still quite great. Being as good as a Remedy game is pretty high praise

Finished the game tonight. Hmm.

It fixes all the problems with 3, so I'd probably consider it to be the best in the series. However I enjoyed 2 more because I enjoyed this type of game more at the time. Basically I grew to hate the shooting sections you hit at 4, even though I appreciated them being relatively infrequent.

I hope ND drop a lot of the shooting moving forward. Their games don't need it and I think they are more than good enough to make games that don't tick all the standard action boxes.

Oh and I must say I have been reading how it isn't graphically impressive, even when compared to something like Tomb Raider. Well fuck me, shit is amazing.

Overall, great game. Will be very interested to see what they do next.

zoukka

The graphics are the best in the business for sure. You have impressive landscapes on many games, but only in UC4 the fucking leaves sway in the wind as far as your eyes can see. Of course the lighting coupled with their great artistry makes everything blend together like in no other game. The light, shadow, colour temperature, all blend in a consistent and beautiful image with no flaws really.

I just wish ND would develop something more mechanically deep from here on out. The incredible visuals are kinda wasted on the quick and shallow game play.

The graphics are the best in the business for sure. You have impressive landscapes on many games, but only in UC4 the fucking leaves sway in the wind as far as your eyes can see. Of course the lighting coupled with their great artistry makes everything blend together like in no other game. The light, shadow, colour temperature, all blend in a consistent and beautiful image with no flaws really.

I just wish ND would develop something more mechanically deep from here on out. The incredible visuals are kinda wasted on the quick and shallow game play.

Zoukka what about chapter 12?
The combination of exploration and context sensitive dialogue was to me a perfect marriage of mechanics and atmosphere. I honestly felt like I was on vacation in the most incredible scenery on earth. I just got such a kick out of exploring every nook and cranny.

zoukka

Zoukka what about chapter 12?
The combination of exploration and context sensitive dialogue was to me a perfect marriage of mechanics and atmosphere. I honestly felt like I was on vacation in the most incredible scenery on earth. I just got such a kick out of exploring every nook and cranny.

For some reason I don't explore in UC games ever, it somehow ruins whatever pacing the game has. UC4 works when I think of it as an interactive movie, if I try to explore, find secrets, tryhard in fights it gets frustrating and my disbelief gets unsuspended. So I just rush.

Anybody saying the combat in Uncharted 4 is bad, or they're happy there's not more of it, is out of their damn mind. It's some of the absolute best action ever pressed on a disc.

For some reason I don't explore in UC games ever, it somehow ruins whatever pacing the game has. UC4 works when I think of it as an interactive movie, if I try to explore, find secrets, tryhard in fights it gets frustrating and my disbelief gets unsuspended. So I just rush.

Ahhhh that makes sense why it wouldn't click with you. They spend so much time on atmosphere and exploring off the beaten path that the pacing really only works if you're adapting to the pace the game sets. I honestly feel like the pacing in UC4 is sublime outside of the opening chapter which goes on for far too long. That pacing is only great though if you're spending large play sessions with the game. Then it just flows perfect. If you don't have a lot of time or are playing the game in short spurts then it reality doesn't work cause then your either spending too much time exploring, solving puzzles or in combat.

Anybody saying the combat in Uncharted 4 is bad, or they're happy there's not more of it, is out of their damn mind. It's some of the absolute best action ever pressed on a disc.

Yeah there is really no way to defend that feeling as it's so mechanically fantastic. It, QB and MGS5 are at the top of the pack.

I don't even understand how someone could call the combat in this game bad. Like at least with UC2, which I still think is a better designed action shooter than UC4, I can understand if you thought combat was a little soft and unsatisfying, but UC4 feels and looks so good. So much so that if you boiled down all of my complaints into one statement it would be: "Not enough combat." If this game played like UC3, which I genuinely think has bad combat, I'd just say "UC4 is bad" and move on. That would be way easier to accept, actually, instead of feeling frustrated similar to how I felt after Max Payne 3 and MGSV.

I think the combat is good, but I wanted much less of it. I don't think that makes me "out of my damn mind", it just means I don't really care for shooting random dudes until the random dudes stop coming.

I just don't find it interesting and would rather be solving environmental puzzles instead.

Top Bottom