• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I had more luck just gun fighting. The first half is easy enough I imagine, the trouble is usually the second half with the laser, grenade launcher and machine gun guys. The key for me was moving back and forth and making the machine guy following me, then quickly running back to the other side to pick off guys when he wasn't there.
The last part is brutal .. The sheer destruction of the machine gun + the sniper is SUPER DEADLY

Either you do a full stealth run , or you need to separate and kill everyone 1 at the time.

I still can't understand how people wouldn't think this games gameplay isn't good. If they are talking about the platforming, they really need to specify that, because the combat and gun play are brilliant. I've seen reviews that barely mention gun play and move sets...like wtf are you doing? You need to let the people know.

The only problem with the mecanics is how the jeep runs in chapter 11

The last part is brutal .. The sheer destruction of the machine gun + the sniper is SUPER DEADLY

Either you do a full stealth run , or you need to separate and kill everyone 1 at the time.

The only problem with the mecanics is how the jeep runs in chapter 11

What was wrong with the Jeep?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
First enemies don't have pin point accuracy especially if your running around. Swinging, jumping over obstacles, rolling and going from cover to cover instead of staying in one spot greatly reduces their ability to accurately hit you. To the point that even on crushing I was able to beat most combat scenarios the first time they happened without knowing where enemies were coming from because I knew if I stayed moving I could get in a better strategic position. I am actually putting together a long video of my playthrough showing exactly that. So I guess that long paragraph was me saying. That statement isn't true.

Next, enemies do lose track of you and can even go back into search mode. In
Madagascar
that happens constantly if your putting distance between you and them by running inside of buildings or outside. You can flank, get to higher ground, break line of sight by swinging and so on.
Correct on both accounts. I was able to get them lose sight of me and go back into search mode on several occasions in the game so far. Hell, the game even tells you this can happen somewhere early on. Running and rolling around also really works, and they are much less likely to hit you if you do so - plus you get to feel like a badass with what you can do during the firefights (and it IMO controls better than any 3rd person game I've played too)

I also really like how almost all of the game's enemy encounters can now be played through stealth, or even avoid some encounters altogether. I am constantly trying (and succeeding) in playing in a most non-violent way possible, unless there's clearly a scripted moment in which enemies burst in and start shooting at you.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finally tearing myself away from Overwatch to finish this wonderful ride.

Just wrapped up chapter 18 this morning, and saw the title of chapter 19 (
Avery's Descent
)

How many hours of the game do I have left to finish through to the end/past any epilogues?

I want to know if I have time to beat it in one sitting tonight... really itching to see how this ends.

Pachimari

I have been with this franchise since before the release of Drake's Fortune (when I reviewed it), and have completed all four games - yet I haven't bought A Thief's End. Starting to feel bad about this lol. I have already been spoiled on the playable teaser but I hope I'm in for more surprises than that.

What was wrong with the Jeep?

I can't control the jeep in chapter 11 when i have no problem at all in chapter 10.

it's sliding too much, i can't progress like i want too.
Thankfully that chase can be done in so many ways ( without driving ) in the last part that it's not a game breaking problem.

I can't control the jeep in chapter 11 when i have no problem at all in chapter 10.

it's sliding too much, i can't progress like i want too.
Thankfully that chase can be done in so many ways ( without driving ) in the last part that it's not a game breaking problem.

Oh yeah I feel you. That was so hard I couldn't figure out why

Finally playing this, and it's so good so far. Only up to Chapter 4, and it's exactly the kind of pacing and storytelling I wanted from post-TLOU Naughty Dog and their final Uncharted

Noobcraft

Just got to chapter 18. I'm getting so sick of gunfights D:

At least it's easy to get stealth mode back during some of these encounters.

Phreak47

Had this since launch but finally got around to finishing it the other night on hard.

About the epilogue:

When the camera panned to the dog at the start of this, I literally thought it was a real dog for a good two seconds, it looked so convincing.

Cornbread78

Had this since launch but finally got around to finishing it the other night on hard.

About the epilogue:

When the camera panned to the dog at the start of this, I literally thought it was a real dog for a good two seconds, it looked so convincing.

The whole mood between the music and
the nervousness Cassie hinted at during that scene made me think they were going in a completely different direction then what they did. Pre-launch we heard that the ending was sad and the staff was really upset at the ending, but they were just throwing up smoke bombs to divert our attention. It was excellent.

Really good write up on the ending as well. It's hard to imagine, but I agre with this guy almost 100%, including the part about
the final battle sucking, lol

Discussion about the ending, so major spoilers....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-final-chapter-for-nathan-drake/#1904fcc6111b

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Finished U4 last night, here's my verdict:

I have very mixed feelings after finishing it. It's visually an achievement and I never seen any other game on this detail level. Facial animations, fire/smoke/water effects and char-models totally wow'ed me. Storywise it's a fine conclusion of the series, exciting from beginning to the end. Loved the story!

Pacing was unbalanced and I had prefered a more continuous tempo, intro/epilogue was great though.

Unfortunately, I felt the hand-holding was my biggest issue with this game. I chosed hard as difficulty setting and the only challenge came in some of the firefights. All the climbing should be way more challenging, where it felt like you couldn't fail, just find the climbing pattern to proceed - therefore major parts of the game felt tediuos.

Gameplay in U4 was a big let-down, but I feel the rest raised the bar for upcoming PS games. A very mixed experience indeed. A big plus for the steady framerate and for how polished the game actually was. 7.5/10.

Oh bro you are in for such a treat!
I'm up to Chapter 13
Marooned
, about how many hours do I have left?

Chapter 4 was amazing. Just perfect. Genuinely one of my favorite sections of the entire series. Kind of how Civil War was the payoff for fans of the MCU, that chapter felt like emotional and narrative payoff for those who have followed Nate through the games

just got the game. is the hardest difficulty frustrating and imbalanced, or is it a fun time?
Frustrating tbh

Just stick with Normal, or maybe Hard if you find any of it too easy.
I'm up to Chapter 13
Marooned
, about how many hours do I have left?

Chapter 4 was amazing. Just perfect. Genuinely one of my favorite sections of the entire series. Kind of how Civil War was the payoff for fans of the MCU, that chapter felt like emotional and narrative payoff for those who have followed Nate through the games

little more than halfway I'd say

MaxHouse

Banned
My impressions of this game are mixed..

I do think the pacing issue is something that is going to be brought up in the future when we look back at this game...I don't see it being a full on "MGS 4" type scenario but its going to be one of those recurring criticisms that is going to talked about

I think the boss fight is a shame, its thematically good, but I always felt the best boss fights are the ones that challenge you with every mechanic you have learned...Take Splatoon's final boss..instead of trying to shoe-horn in new mechanics

this was like the opposite of Splatoon's boss....although visually it was stunning

my overall thoughts are an 8.5/10..I still prefer UC 2 the most

Phreak47

I think the boss fight is a shame, its thematically good, but I always felt the best boss fights are the ones that challenge you with every mechanic you have learned.

That's generally the formula, but UC has never been a "boss fight" series, though they definitely went even a step further away from it this time out. I'm okay with that.

What I'll say about the end fight though...
It annoyed the fuck out of me, how many times i had to die and listen to that asshole gloat in his 5 or 6 different ways. I don't know how much more difficult playing on Hard made it, but I was having a hard time figuring out if some of those attacks were "left" or "right" and it became a tiresome task of memorization and many retries. Thankfully there's a checkpoint in the middle of this fight.

Ultimadrago

I've just gone through Uncharted 4 and I really enjoyed it! The only portion I disliked was around Chapter 18-Chapter 19 with
the exploding mummies
, I found that portion dull and repetitive without really adding to the adventure at all aside from
making out what a maniac Avery turned to be
. Overall, it was fun, extremely atmospheric and a fine way to end the adventures of Nathan Drake. At this point Uncharted 4 is equal to Uncharted 2 in terms of enjoyment. Both of those titles had their respective role in the series and played on their strengths well despite some weaknesses in each.

This game will likely be in my Top 10 for 2016, but there's still a few more titles of interest up for release!

On Nadine, I really wish they did a little more with the character. Even with that caveat, I ended up quite liking her when I was uncertain from trailers preceding the title's release.

P.S. The combat was alright. I personally wasn't a big fan of it, but the series on a whole has gone a fair ways in the department.

Cracklox

Beat this the other day, and didn't love it. Enjoyed it enough I suppose. As someone who rarely gives a stuff about videogames stories, I found it the main hook to keep me coming back and find the motivation to finish it. There were def times when I had to force myself to play though.

Ending was cool too but like damn near everything else I think about the game, it always comes back to 'Not as good as TLOU'. I think I just preferred the setting, characters, more stealth focused combat and the need to actually be careful with your resources (on higher difficulties at least) in that game. It was also a game where I couldn't put the controller down and didn't want it to end, and crazy shit was happening the whole way through
mutherfuckin Giraffes!!
, whereas UC4 was sorta the opposite in that I had to force myself to keep going to see the cool set pieces and basically just wanted to get to the end as quick as possible.

Still, I don't regret my playthrough. I don't think anyone can deny how amazing it looks, and some of the set-pieces were all sorts of awesome and made it worthwhile. That said, I'm not sure how interested I'd be in a fifth game using the same formula

MaxHouse

Banned
I feel like Sam was an unnecessary retcon

I think Troy did a great performance as always, but I felt they could of crafted the story around Sully, Elena and make it a more personal drama between them

Sam just kind of came out of nowhere

Man, this game really is a trip down memory lane.

Currently on Chapter 18, and so far the homages include

Uncharted 1
- Nate and Elena together in the jungle again
- A jeep drive through the jungle

Uncharted 2
- Convoy chase + cat & mouse with the truck
- Inside a collapsing building being shot by missiles/rockets
- Fleeing armed guards when a job goes bad
- The search for one treasure turns into them finding a lost city and then blowing it up

Uncharted 3
- Revisiting Nate's past
- Playing as young Nate
- Nate, Drake, and another going uncover among criminals
- A lone hurt/weak Nate stumbling along
- Elena finding Nate and patching him up

Oh, wow, they did it. They finally topped Uncharted 2's
collapsing hotel with the collapsing watchtower. That set-piece was great

So insane right? On replays of that section the most amazing part by far is the gameplay systems. You can pretty much do whatever is in your imagination and it works.

Alienous

Man, this game really is a trip down memory lane.

Currently on Chapter 18, and so far the homages include

Uncharted 1
- Nate and Elena together in the jungle again
- A jeep drive through the jungle

Uncharted 2
- Convoy chase + cat & mouse with the truck
- Inside a collapsing building being shot by missiles/rockets
- Fleeing armed guards when a job goes bad
- The search for one treasure turns into them finding a lost city and then blowing it up

Uncharted 3
- Revisiting Nate's past
- Playing as young Nate
- Nate, Drake, and another going uncover among criminals
- A lone hurt/weak Nate stumbling along
- Elena finding Nate and patching him up

Outside of Uncharted 1 references I'm pretty sure those aren't homages, just similar events.

Outside of Uncharted 1 references I'm pretty sure those aren't homages, just similar events.
The back half of 4 feels like Uncharted 1 done far, far better (
one island setting
), but similarly without an ideal structure and with underused ideas.

I still would like to see the theoretical UC2 (where all the elements introduced in the first game are fully realized and used to their best potential, along with being well-paced) to this game's UC1.

I think that it has such similar events and beats to the other games in the series, in a story
that purposely made a point of looking back at past games
, definitely means they're intentional callbacks to the past games.

I mean, related to Uncharted 1,
Elena is practically wearing the same outfit.
It's definitely meant to make you think of the other games.

Alienous

I think that it has such similar events and beats to the other games in the series, in a story
that purposely made a point of looking back at past games
, definitely means they're intentional callbacks to the past games.

I mean, related to Uncharted 1,
Elena is practically wearing the same outfit.
It's definitely meant to make you think of the other games.

As I said I agree regarding the Uncharted 1 references.

The rest you mentioned just seem like the tropes of the series, not homages. To me it felt more like a franchise exhausting its ideas than it going "Remember this?". Except, again, the
UC1 callbacks

Anyway, it's a pointless observation on my behalf. Don't mind me.

KevinG

Without spoiling too much, I just made it to
Libertalia
Chapter 13, I think.

How many hours do I have left? What percentage of the game do I have?

I've been chipping away very slowly since launch.

I'd agree about there being a lot of freedom in the part you're talking about, but you don't even fight people through normal gameplay in the other part.
Yeah, its you standard
run while everything falls apart, and then keep running to avoid getting shot section.

Looked pretty tho.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm visiting some family while my other half is on holiday. Brought my PS4 along and thought it a good opportunity to finally start Unharted 4.

Is there any reason I NEED the update files? Just to play the campaign? The internet here is archaic.

ODDI

I'm visiting some family while my other half is on holiday. Brought my PS4 along and thought it a good opportunity to finally start Unharted 4.

Is there any reason I NEED the update files? Just to play the campaign? The internet here is archaic.
You should be fine without it... I think.

So I might be speaking to the crowd by asking in an OT full of people who absolutely love this game, but please actually consider my situation:

1) I didn't like Uncharted 2, or what I played of Uncharted 3. The platforming and set pieces was fun, but at its core, the majority of the game was a third person shooter. I don't like shooters, and I don't find gunplay to be fun, ESPECIALLY on a console as opposed to a keyboard and mouse. I am absolutely terrible at aiming with a joystick. When I saw the now-famous gif of Polygon playing Uncharted 4, I was immediately reminded of my own experience with Uncharted.

2) I don't own a PS4, and there are very few PS4-exclusives I actually want to play (although Uncharted is admittedly not the only one). So this would be a very[/li] expensive purchase.

All of that said, I really like cinematic video games, when their done well. Everyone keeps talking about how polished the storytelling in this entry is.

I have quite some time to decide—I won't be buying anything until the Neo comes out, since that will presumably cause the base model PS4 to drop in price in somewhat. Just curious to hear opinions.

15 hours, and done

That was a great ride, and nice end to Nate's story. I really liked the grapple hook mechanic; it made the combat feel even more dynamic and open. And of course, swinging around while fighting brought to mind the classic trope of pirates swinging from the masts.

This game definitely felt like a swan song for the series, Naughty Dog definitively closing the book on Nathan Drake and his adventures. They revisited a lot of the big moments and story beats of the past games, doing them bigger and more viscerally. They took Drake's story to its natural conclusion. Seeing the credit's roll was like finishing the series finale of a favorite tv show.

It was one hell of a journey

Noobcraft

If anyone is into speed running I found a sequence break that skips an entire encounter. It could potentially be expanded to skip even more of that segment.

https://youtu.be/aWxWknip54k

Also I beat the game on crushing. It was a pretty excellent way to end the series, although some of the encounters felt unfair if you were unlucky enough to have the wrong weapons equipped when they came up. I ended up getting stuck in a long range encounter (multiple snipers) with a shotgun and fully auto pistol with little ammo that made me rage. Overall I'd give the game a 8.5-9 out of 10.

reKon

Banned
THIS RIGHT HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0udlBu41KQ (spoilers)

THIS is why a hold Uncharted 4 to one of the best third person shooters of all time. The campaign wasn't as cohesive as Uncharted 2's. but the gameplay is BY FAR superior to any other Uncharted game and pretty much all other TPS's (IMO). The combination of gun play and the contextual melee system is sublime.

I hope really the DLC delivers to bring more crazy moments and features a lot of gameplay.

Seriously just watch the video and show me a more dynamic TPS that's out on the market. I want Sony Santa Monica to bring this diversity in melee combat to God of War with multiple brutal animations depending on the environment. TLoU 2 is going to be nuts.

MrJTeera

I don't like shooters, and I don't find gunplay to be fun

Not sure if this is your case, but I felt that a lot of players just don't appreciate the melee animation as much as it should. Most playthrough I saw, they just gun down enemies point blank, and I find that to be very redundant. People need to mix shootin' with punchin' more.

Just finished it and damn, it really is both the best looking game of all time and the best Uncharted game (though not as jaw droppingly impressive as Uncharted 2 back in its day). It also just plays great within the combat sandboxes where new options like rope and stealth are both a fun and viable options.

And it's the first Uncharted game that actually has good villains and a good overall plot. Over the years I've kinda come to the conclusion that while Amy Henning can write good characters and dialogue, she is pretty bad at writing interesting plots. Compared to the cliched "Drake's long lost brother comes back to haunt him" storyline that was presented in the original teaser trailer, I've no doubt what we got was a lot more interesting. I do wish it got a little darker though, especially at the very end, the consequences of killing and constantly risking your life are eluded to throughout the game, but not really followed through on.

There are some problems though. First of all the pacing. I didn't really have a problem with the slow pacing at the start, but the loop of "find a new area. What we want isn't here. Fight some guys. Find a new area" became a little tedious especially towards the end. When you have been killing guys for an hour and think it's about to wrap up to the final, it's suddenly back to pushing around boxes to stand on.

Second of all the Uncharted games might just be the most logically inconsistent games ever made. A lot have already been written about ludonarative dissonance in these games and that is really in full swing here. From the rope not being able to be used a hundred places were it feels like it should, to the game seemingly arbitrarily deciding that some ledges needing a box to be reached, even though you could just as easily just use you partner as a boost, to all the standard stuff like Drake the wise cracking killing machine and enemies showing up out of nowhere.

Even with the increased focus on story, Uncharted 4 is still a video game ass video game. One of the worst offenders were in chapter 11 where
You are ringing bells in a huge clock tower in the middle of a big city and in the end have pretty much destroyed the whole interior, yet nobody even though the building is surrounded by people nobody goes to check what the hell is going on. When you walk out of the main door people are just minding their business like normal and even seem surprised somebody was in there.. Stuff like that is even dumber than your average action movie.

I still loved it though and were even moved by it at times. Uncharted 4 has one of the best and most human (weirdly enough considering the shit they do) relationships in any game I have ever played and that deserves a lot of praise.

Apdiddy

Going through first time playthrough on Hard and up to Chapter 8 -- the stealth system is really broken compared to Uncharted 1-3. It was easy to abuse the enemies with stealth takedowns. To me, the gunplay isn't as great so they tried to make it more of a stealth focused game but this isn't MGS.

I like the story so far but the actual gameplay makes me like it less.

Chitown B

Going through first time playthrough on Hard and up to Chapter 8 -- the stealth system is really broken compared to Uncharted 1-3. It was easy to abuse the enemies with stealth takedowns. To me, the gunplay isn't as great so they tried to make it more of a stealth focused game but this isn't MGS.

I like the story so far but the actual gameplay makes me like it less.

I found the gunplay just fine. But I like stealth so I was happy about that - until it seemed like it was almost impossible to stealth a whole area without taking an hour.

Top Bottom