• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

stn

I actually just finished UC3, looking to buy UC4 soon. I have a bunch of complaints, however:

-Very stiff platforming
-Many times I died due to rolling instead of taking cover (same button assigned)
-My pistol many times would get "stuck" and not fire
-The difficulty becomes pure bullshit around chapter 18, I actually haven't cursed like this at a game in many years

Has any of this been improved for UC4? Thanks.

listening to the OST on Spotify.

A normal life/For Better or Worse.

the elena/drake track through the libertaria is amazing. goosebumps. Makes me want to revisit the game.

JP

Finally got the "Charted! Crushing" trophy, will tidy up the rest of the trophies over time on the PS4 Pro when it turns up. Will play through it all again on the Pro but will drop the difficulty down quite a bit and just do it for the fun of completing the game without really having to worry about anything as I'm playing it. :)

NeoBob688

Replaying on the Pro.

My gosh Scotland is a terrible level. It just drags on and on with extremely mundane and uninteresting platforming sections and no payoff.

Scotland is one of my favorite parts of the game--if not my favorite. Love the atmosphere and platforming elements--the whole thing reminded me of the ice caves in Uncharted 2 which is a major high point in the series for me--it had cool trials, nice sense of progression, and I felt the combat was fairly well paced in the section and it built up to a suitable climax.

Do you need to have played the other Uncharted games to fully understand this one?

I finally got around to beating TLOU and I'm itching for another ND game

SDR-UK

They are stand-alone stories but you'd have a larger appreciation if you had been on the journey (1-3) with the characters. You'd do a disservice to go in with just Uncharted 4, imo.

Stuck in chapter 22 during "that fight" after
Nadine closing the door
. What a fucking cheap way to
make a boss fight challenging
. Always with the shitty melee stuff.

So, I'm having a bit of a performance issue and I'm not sure if it's the game or just me.

PS4 Pro
HDR on
LG 55UH6150, HDR vivid setting

I just got to Chapter 9, and suddenly, there's some pixelation going on when I move the camera around Drake and on some of the foliage. I tried messing around with the noise reduction on my TV, but it seems to have no effect. Any idea what this could be?

FirewalkR

Finally played and finished this, and just have to say...

That epilogue... them feels!

So good. Congrats, ND, there's your game of the year!

Finally played and finished this, and just have to say...

That epilogue... them feels!

So good. Congrats, ND, there's your game of the year!

Same! I started in June and had to stop because of bed bugs and evacuating my then apartment. Finally got my ps4 hooked up in my house and got to play it this week.

Jesus, I loved it. I love this series so damn much. And you're right
that epilogue was so great. I just want to watch them on the boat for hours trying to convince Cassie all the shit they did.

Edit: anyone have the guard writing a letter to his family before drake kills him?

Hey all, after a couple years I've finally decided to pick up a PS4 and the Slim I purchased came with Uncharted 4 (and The Last of Us)! I've never really had a Playstation before so I've never gotten to play any NaughtyDog games, but have always wanted to get into the Uncharted series. Seeing how I know barely anything about any Uncharted game (save a couple set pieces), would it be okay to start with 4 since it has gotten amazing reviews, or should I (which I assume is the proper way) pick up The Nathan Drake Collection and play through everything in order of release?

Hey all, after a couple years I've finally decided to pick up a PS4 and the Slim I purchased came with Uncharted 4 (and The Last of Us)! I've never really had a Playstation before so I've never gotten to play any NaughtyDog games, but have always wanted to get into the Uncharted series. Seeing how I know barely anything about any Uncharted game (save a couple set pieces), would it be okay to start with 4 since it has gotten amazing reviews, or should I (which I assume is the proper way) pick up The Nathan Drake Collection and play through everything in order of release?
Uncharted 4 stands on its own, however, I feel like you'd get more out of Uncharted 4 if you play the first three (some will tell you to skip the first, but I personally find it pretty great, and it's a great introduction to the characters).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I got this on Black Friday and the game crashes right as I start on chapter 1. Tried everything, from deleting my save file to reinstalling, even waiting to update until after the install completes. Do you guys know any potential solutions?

I got this on Black Friday and the game crashes right as I start on chapter 1. Tried everything, from deleting my save file to reinstalling, even waiting to update until after the install completes. Do you guys know any potential solutions?

You tried rebuilding database?

The stealth in this game is so damn improved and pretty fun to play. I know the spirit of the game is shoot em up but I am really enjoying the stealth play.

DonMigs85

Just realized there's a Nate Nendo lol
15390692_1488560747839441_5924311374246836075_n.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What's everyone's aim assist preference on the higher difficulties? None, low or high?

Dalibor68

Banned
Just finished this game on my PS4Pro. A lot of the time the graphics are absolutely amazing, only sometimes the lighting seems a bit boring and vegetation moving too much(from aliasing). Of course the voice acting, soundtrack etc are great, the platforming is probably better than ever. Also the exploration in general, although they should have added a "find hidden inscription" part to the collecting artifacts like in Tomb Raider.

Combat is better too I guess, but for me Uncharted never had really good combat and even in UC4 I didn't really like it and the aiming felt sluggish compared to Quantum Break which I played before that.

But now the feeling I have directly after finishing it is "meh". The epilogue feels completely unnecessary and I don't see what the point of it was. The daughter seems annoying. It seems like they just added this to say "look, they're old now and have a child!". Sam is just gone. Nothing really impactful happened.

Of course not everything needs to end ultra-dramatic or something but still I'm now left with "Well, I guess that's that" and not much more.

HIUHAU

Just finished this game on my PS4Pro. A lot of the time the graphics are absolutely amazing, only sometimes the lighting seems a bit boring and vegetation moving too much(from aliasing). Of course the voice acting, soundtrack etc are great, the platforming is probably better than ever. Also the exploration in general, although they should have added a "find hidden inscription" part to the collecting artifacts like in Tomb Raider.

Combat is better too I guess, but for me Uncharted never had really good combat and even in UC4 I didn't really like it and the aiming felt sluggish compared to Quantum Break which I played before that.

But now the feeling I have directly after finishing it is "meh". The epilogue feels completely unnecessary and I don't see what the point of it was. The daughter seems annoying. It seems like they just added this to say "look, they're old now and have a child!". Sam is just gone. Nothing really impactful happened.

Of course not everything needs to end ultra-dramatic or something but still I'm now left with "Well, I guess that's that" and not much more.

Just finished it on my Pro too after playing through Nathan Drake Collection. Imo Uncharted 4 is leagues ahead of the other 3 games, especially the first one, which I find to be very boring. It's incredible how writing is so much better now (It built up from shitty 1, ok 2, interesting 3), it's the game where I finally felt like caring for the characters (
ok I worried about Sully in 3
). Besides, I know there is no one-of-a-kind setting like the train or the plane (
ship cemetery in the third games is the real deal tho
), but the sense of exploration and freedom with the many possible paths when traversing the stunning environments really bring the level up here.
The innovations even come as far as to solve one with my biggest problems with the franchise: the encounters. Again, it is nice to see how it greatly built up from the extremely linear first title (
Sic Parvis Magna, huh?
) to now being able to make it through an encounter in many different ways, be it sneaking (finally it works) or shooting explosive barrels or using the great variety of guns while jumping here and there with the rope. Talking about the rope, platforming too took a refreshing revision, with the additon of the ropes, sliding sections and that other thing used to climb porous rocks which I don't remember the name.
Anyway, it's cool to see a lot of people seems to like 2 and 3 more, but to me those were only "ok" to "good" games, whereas 4 may surprisingly (as I originally never expected much from it after the collection) actually take a place at my "best games" list (let's see if it holds up in some time)

Qurupeke

Just finished the game. I finally experienced an Uncharted game when it got released, so I was really impressed by the animation, the facial expressions and all those landscapes. Really outstanding game from a technical aspect.

As for the game itself, it was good, though I don't think its met my expectations. Unfortunately, no over the top set pieces other than the
car chase
, which is one of the main reasons I enjoyed the series. Still, I'll probably remember it for the characters, the attention to the detail(like the Crash game!) and those cool driving segments with the jeep.

antibolo

Banned
I made a thread for this but it went unanswered, hopefully I'll get something here:

Ever since the update 1.17 or so (I think it's the one that added Survival), Uncharted 4 fails to start, it just stays stuck at the pre-game screen (Nate looking down in a jungle). Eventually I found out that it works if I disable the network connection. which seems to imply that it locks up somewhere along the communication with the multiplayer infrastructure or something. I have no clue what the problem could be. I have a Plus subscription and Overwatch works fine.

Anybody else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do to solve this?

I just finished the single player campaign, and I would like to play some Survival before deleting the game to make some more space...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I did try to reinstall the game from scratch, no difference. I even tried deleting my profile and save file (after backing them up). Still nothing.

What is packet loss?

I keep getting lagged out of multiplayer games.

Is it because everyone in my neighborhood is in their homes using the internet?

Chris R

Just finished (trying to catch up for GOTY votes)

So glad this game didn't
go supernatural
at the end like the others.

Game was a lot of fun, granted the piton should have been introduced much earlier. Also would have liked a silenced weapon to stealth around with.

Story was very well done, keeping the locations two just a few reminded me of the first game, only real gripe I have is with the ending.
No followup on Nadine or Sam/Sully? The Avery treasure is there, go salvage that instead of Malaysia, even more so since Drake left the entire thing mostly intact after going through it.

Give me a
Cassie
game in 2 years with minimal gunplay and I'm there.

danthefan

Making my way through this. I love the series, the stories, the character, the settings, the detail... But I just fucking hate the shooting. I really can't stand it. Has always been a problem for me in this series. But we'll plug on.

Beat this last week (finally - I bought it last summer) and just replayed the ending a second time. Loved the game, really like the ending. One of my favorite video game endings of all time - up there with TLOU, Super Metroid, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, and Portal. Maybe not objectively the best ending ever, but certainly one of my favorites. I'm older now with two kids and so the family theme hit home and just the general feel of that epilogue ... stellar.

Hard to say goodbye to this series. I've played and loved all five entries. So much fun.

UncleMeat

Been playing some this weekend; they should've just gone ahead and made the rope a whip. It already sounds like one and functions just like Indy's whip.

AniHawk

well this came with my ps4 and i've really been putting it off because i didn't want to play it at all, but tonight i popped it in for some reason and it's definitely a lot better than uncharted 2, at least as far as making you care about the people in the game and not making nathan drake seem like a huge asshole. he does come across pretty naive at this point though (heading to scotland), and his mass-murdering tendencies are thankfully intact.

if this was my first uncharted game, i think i'd be enjoying it even more.

Wollan

It's quite a lengthy campaign. Some people feel that the first half-or-so of the campaign has pacing issues but it all gets gradually more and more turned up. Not just the action, large playgrounds and general 'epicness' but also the personal moments.

JCtheMC

I just finished the game after buying it on a whim because i found it on sale... absolutely loved it. I tried one of the PS3 trilogy games a few years back but didn't enjoy it much, is it worth getting the remaster collection?

AniHawk

well i finished it and it's a lot better than uncharted 2. like, it actually feels like an action-adventure game and not a bullet sponge counter, which is neat.

drake is given proper motivation and backstory, which was sorely lacking in uncharted 2, to the point where his murders make sense in context.

regarding the end of the game, i remained pretty unmoved, but i probably would have to be a fan of uncharted as a series to actually care about any of it.

overall, it was a lot better than i expected. i felt a lot of stuff from the last of us creeping in there when it came to game design logic, which was welcoming.

mf.luder

I hope the Uncharted series gets flak for having bad (read unrealistic) aiming. Like, if I'm standing behind a pillar and aim at an enemy, I can shoot him through the pillar but he can't shoot me.

MGS4 had 2 reticles that showed you when your gun was behind something.

Not a huge concern but something I noticed while doing my crushing play through. Without it, I don't think I would've made it.

Sora_N

Great game to wrap things up, I just finished it. I got real busy and didn't finish it until now even though I got it at launch.

The ending was pretty good, I didn't like the first half of the game but overall the package was wonderful.

I'm gonna miss this series. :(

EDIT: Also some of the encounters were BS and I'm playing on normal. I thought Chapter 20 was awful but then I figured out the easiest way to get through it and it worked. I kind of suck too.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished it.

My first ever Uncharted. What an amazing game. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The facial animations were top notch, the area design was superb (I've never pressed the screenshot button so much!) I loved the set pieces and all the characters. Wouldn't mind a spin off with Nadine and her crew or Sam, or even the daughter.

Best game I've played all year :p

Only weakness imo, was the shooting parts. I'd sigh whenever the mercs would appear.

Arex

Finally got to play and finish it :) Luckily I managed to stay off any spoilers so the ending kinda surprised me. Great end to Nate and co. story. Spent almost 20 hours and didn't feel like it lol.

Amazing game all in all, and the best looking game I've ever played.

Ending Spoiler:
I hope if they do continue this franchise (I'm kinda torn, I really like the franchise XD ) that
they try to do pure exploration/treasure hunting oriented game with maybe D&F Fortunes or their daughter Cassie.. although I suppose they gotta have shooting to sell :\

Solo

So I finally gave in and got a PS4 2 nights back and have been playing this (around Ch.8 or so)......as far as the game itself, it's pretty much what I expected from Uncharted, albeit surprisingly action-lite and more guided than the older games.

But what made me want to post is the visuals. Good christ. ND always delivers in this department, based on the 3 older UC games and TLoU, but UC4 on the PS4 is a quantum leap beyond that. Wow. There is barely a second that passes that I'm not flabbergasted by the animations, or textures, or the gorgeous locations, or the character models, or the most minute of details. The subtleties in facial animation, the way clothes ripple, it's simply the most beautiful looking game I've ever seen.

Radec

After months of not playing the last 4 chapters, i finally finished it. Goddamn that was an experience.

Boss fight was great too with all that
sword fight on burning ship.

Total time : 17.03 hours

Goddamn broke my 0 treasures run when i accidentally picked one. 1/109 lol

Got to chapter 9 now and enjoying the game more than I thought I would. Only ever played a bit of Uncharted 1 back then, but 20 bucks for a supposedly good game this holiday season were too good to pass up. Definitely worth the money so far. Gameplay isn't overly deep but at least it's smooth unlike TLG where the gameplay is shallow as hell in addition to being a hassle to control.

Only weakness imo, was the shooting parts. I'd sigh whenever the mercs would appear.
Yes, that's how I feel too. Right now it's about 50/50 in terms of how the ratio between shooting and platforming section is. I'd prefer 80:20 in favour of platforming tbh.

Solo

Just beat Uncharted 4 last night. Damn. What a ride. I think it was not only the best in the series, but a perfect way to end the series and a worthy winner of GAF's 2016 GOTY award. What an incredible, unforgettable experience.

AndersK

Wayyy late in this one despite being there day one for the other three. (And the vita one, I uh, guess.) Got too many damn games.

Damn fine game! I can definitely see the pacing issues at the start that people have been mentioning, but after that it was a fantastic ride. And I'm just in love with the overall gun/gameplay. Swinging around like a maniac and/or snapping half the grunts necks is just amazing.

Epilogue got me good too.

Also
Rafe killed me more than Blood Starved Beast. Like. Shit man.

Top Bottom