• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it last night. What a beautiful game, and I don't mean just visually. Some of the story beats definitely affected me way more than I thought they would in a game like this. I'm still left thinking about some of the messages, and the conclusion. Finally getting why the "the groundbreaking ending" thread was made, definitely not what I was expecting. The game was really phenomenal, and such a distinct
counterpoint in optimism to The Last of Us.
. Everything about the way it plays, looks, or pays homages (
Guybrush Threepwood integration to the story
was probably the best homage of any game I can think of) was just so on point.

Grinchy

Banned
lmao, Summit1g is playing the single player right now on twitch. He refuses to use grenades or stealth, and he never picks up ammo. He keeps jumping off platforms to his death. He is raging at every single enemy encounter that I've seen so far. Very entertaining.

leng jai

Man this game is a slog on the second play through. I've been at my crushing run for weeks and only up to chapter 14. I blasted through UC2 and TLOU 5+ times with ease, but UC4 is proving to be very tedious.

Grinchy

Banned
Man this game is a slog on the second play through. I've been at my crushing run for weeks and only up to chapter 14. I blasted through UC2 and TLOU 5+ times with ease, but UC4 is proving to be very tedious.

In all honesty, my first play through was already a slog on many occasions. I've just had it with the Uncharted formula, I think. After Uncharted 1-3 and Golden Abyss, and the fact that I played Uncharted 1 six times, that's probably natural.

I'm just surprised by how addicted to the multiplayer I am. I never liked U2 or U3 online.

zoukka

Just finished it. Ending was very good, did not see it coming.

As a whole the game did not grip me much, I had to force myself to return to it in many chapters. The combat is just too shallow in the sense that there's no continuity, resource management, progress or choice outside of single encounters. Killing enemies is pretty fun in short bursts, but nothing beyond serviceable. The aiming felt off to me and I definitely felt some input lag in the controls.

The climbing was a goddamn chore and hearing the same "no no noo" and "jesus that was close", or pushing another box on wheels made me sleepy and bored. I honestly felt like quitting the game at some of these sections.

The story was the best of all four games imo. If I had to grade the game I would give it 6/10. 10 from presentation, 4-5 from gameplay. The shooting was way better than that but the majority of the game is climbing and walking.

ND needs to move on and go beyond TLOU. Give us this presentation coupled with actual deep and rewarding gameplay and you'll have a masterpiece in your hands.

Drencrom

Am I the only one who wonders [UC4 Ending spoilers]
what happened to Orca? (image) Orca as you may not know is one of two mercs that Nadine always have around her that then turns on her at the end with Rafe when they found Avery's ship. As you board the ship after the explosion you can find Knot (the other merc guy) dead on the ground presumably killed by the explosion but Orca is nowhere to be found, which makes me think it's intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if Orca maybe turned on Knot and Rafe when they boarded the ship and caused the explosion that killed off Knot and maybe went off with Nadine after she locked in Rafe and Drake or something like that.

I know that no one probably cares but I like the thought
that Orca may be alive at the end of UC4 as he's a great character in the MP

Still stuck on the firefight in Chapter 13. I'm at the point where I'm in danger of drifting away and never picking up the game again, so I'm going to bail out of Crushing. (It's been a long time since I've said uncle with difficulty settings mid-game).

Grinchy

Banned
Still stuck on the firefight in Chapter 13. I'm at the point where I'm in danger of drifting away and never picking up the game again, so I'm going to bail out of Crushing. (It's been a long time since I've said uncle with difficulty settings mid-game).

It's not surprising. This game put me in sitations where my checkpoint was 8 enemies spraying bullets, rockets, and grenades at me while I had 3 bullets in one gun and 8 bullets in the other. I thought I was going to have to restart the chapter on multiple occasions.

Finally beat the infamous chapter 20 on crushing. It was tough, but I didn't find it too frustrating. Now the last thing I'm dreading is
the fight with Rafe. Anyone have any tips for this fight on crushing?

Finally beat the infamous chapter 20 on crushing. It was tough, but I didn't find it too frustrating. Now the last thing I'm dreading is
the fight with Rafe. Anyone have any tips for this fight on crushing?

I'm thinking that should be an easy part because it's just recognizing and responding to the incoming attacks, not really a test of the usual mechanics and skills.

I'm thinking that should be an easy part because it's just recognizing and responding to the incoming attacks, not really a test of the usual mechanics and skills.
But if its anything like the rest of crushing, I don't think there are any checkpoints, and
you get killed in one hit.

Alpende

But if its anything like the rest of crushing, I don't think there are any checkpoints, and
you get killed in one hit.

I did it on crushing with cheats and sometimes
I did get killed in one hit and other times I could take two hits. I think you die from one hit at the first strike but if you block the first one and get hit you can take two hits. Not sure though.

Gbraga

Just finished it. The feels. It's like saying farewell to old friends, I'll miss Nate, Elena and Sully :(

It really hurts me to say this, but that's what I was expecting to feel when finishing the last Uncharted game. I was expecting to be smiling and taking a deep breath, thinking back on all of my memories.

But I just finished my first playthrough, and all I was thinking was FINALLY.

I really wish that wasn't the way I felt, I really wanted to love this game, but I kind of hate it.

Shame it's ending on what is, to me, such a disappointing game.

When it's good, it's REALLY good, but there's just so much tedium.

I hope I can have some fun in multiplayer, at least, brilliant combat mechanics, overall the best TPS combat I've ever played. Too bad it doesn't allow itself to take advantage of it as much as it should. RIP in Peace Enemy Variety, you were getting in the way of story, I guess.

iLLmAtlc

I finished my Crushing (no bonuses) run yesterday. All in all it wasn't so bad, the gun fights were pretty intense but all doable. I know Chapter 20 is pretty notorious but it wasn't too difficult for me. I hate the enclosed areas and that was a massive area with lots of good weapons. You could also bring in a Copperhead from before. I just camped near the beginning and hung on the cliffs to recover.

To me it was no where as difficult as Chapter 13 because it dropped you in naked and didn't have many good weapons in the field.

Overall I'd rank the most difficult encounters as

1. Chapter 13
2. Chapter 18 mansion
3. Exploding
mummies

Also thank you ND for the non existent load times. I died so many times.

Noobcraft

Thought this was pretty fun.
augUBQ0.gif

mdubs

Banned
Finished tonight, I had played the other 3 a couple years ago, and while fun, I always felt they had a decently interesting storyline with good characters but mediocre actual gameplay. This game made me a believer, and I feel like I finally feel the love for this series, everything just clicked so well in this game. It feels like they learned from the problems with the previous games, and the plot, graphics and general gameplay was top-notch. Bravo Naughty Dog on this one, loved it.

Bumped difficulty down to hard and blew though chapter 13. I still died once, stupidly jumping to my death (which must have accounted for 50% of my deaths in that area on crushing; it's oddly hard to judge distance in some spots there), and I laughed when it checkpointed midway through the encounter. If it had that checkpoint on Crushing it would have been so much easier, lol.

Happy to be back into the game, though. Between Overwatch and a pile of books (these stacks of dead trees that I think I used to open more often years ago) I got sidetracked and stopped trying to continue past that encounter.

One question regarding difficulty and trophies, though. So in Chapter Select, it lists Highest Challenge Level Completed for each chapter, and 13 is now listed as Hard. I'm starting 14, and it looks like in Chapter Select I can choose to start the chapter back on Crushing. Assuming I finish out the game at that difficulty, does this mean the only part I'd have to redo is going back and completing 13 on Crushing? Or would it need to be 13 on through the end?

iLLmAtlc

Bumped difficulty down to hard and blew though chapter 13. I still died once, stupidly jumping to my death (which must have accounted for 50% of my deaths in that area on crushing; it's oddly hard to judge distance in some spots there), and I laughed when it checkpointed midway through the encounter. If it had that checkpoint on Crushing it would have been so much easier, lol.

Same, falling to my death was a big obstacle in that area.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm part way through Chapter 12.

Thinking of just sending this back (rental). It's hands down the most beautiful game I've played, and the motion capture and acting are fantastic, but man the game is a bore. I would love the exploration bits if they weren't so painfully easy and linear. The combat is boring as hell and I've just turned on auto-aim to make it easier to brease through.

Just finished it. Ending was very good, did not see it coming.

As a whole the game did not grip me much, I had to force myself to return to it in many chapters. The combat is just too shallow in the sense that there's no continuity, resource management, progress or choice outside of single encounters. Killing enemies is pretty fun in short bursts, but nothing beyond serviceable. The aiming felt off to me and I definitely felt some input lag in the controls.

The climbing was a goddamn chore and hearing the same "no no noo" and "jesus that was close", or pushing another box on wheels made me sleepy and bored. I honestly felt like quitting the game at some of these sections.

The story was the best of all four games imo. If I had to grade the game I would give it 6/10. 10 from presentation, 4-5 from gameplay. The shooting was way better than that but the majority of the game is climbing and walking.

ND needs to move on and go beyond TLOU. Give us this presentation coupled with actual deep and rewarding gameplay and you'll have a masterpiece in your hands.

This is pretty much how I feel at the moment.

mulac

On the last chapter (i think)
made it to Avery's boat under the mountain

and...and...I think this is the worst game I've played all year.

Sure its pretty, the music/sound/graphics and locations are so realistic my wife watched me playing it the other night and asked "what movie is this, when is it on IMAX?".

But my god its a bore, i dragged myself through the last 3 chapters just waiting for it to reach the conclusion which I really hope I'm nearly at.

I'll complete the game because its Uncharted and because...reasons; but I will never go back to this one - till the Story DLC comes out of course.

vs U1/2/3 which I've replayed each around 3 times since release; U4 is the most technically sound but it has been a serious drag to get through.

2/10 (Sorry NaughtyDog; Last of Us still remains in my top 3 games ever though!).

Alpende

On the last chapter (i think)
made it to Avery's boat under the mountain

and...and...I think this is the worst game I've played all year.

Sure its pretty, the music/sound/graphics and locations are so realistic my wife watched me playing it the other night and asked "what movie is this, when is it on IMAX?".

But my god its a bore, i dragged myself through the last 3 chapters just waiting for it to reach the conclusion which I really hope I'm nearly at.

I'll complete the game because its Uncharted and because...reasons; but I will never go back to this one - till the Story DLC comes out of course.

vs U1/2/3 which I've replayed each around 3 times since release; U4 is the most technically sound but it has been a serious drag to get through.

2/10 (Sorry NaughtyDog; Last of Us still remains in my top 3 games ever though!).

2/10 makes it seem like the game is unplayable and totally shit :p. You're practically at the end.

------

Anyway, I got the platinum Trophy and that's it. The MP is not for me, TPS online games aren't my thing anyway.

Just got to chapter 9,
Madagascar
today. It's gone from being a fairly slow paced game I felt quite ambivalent about to an excellent, awe-inspiring and most importantly, incredibly fun game in the space of one chapter. The combat has become incredibly fun, and tackling these little enemy encampments is really enjoyable, and the kind of thing I can see myself replaying. I don't know why they took so damn long before getting to good action sequences because the game has all of a sudden become quite brilliant. I love how dynamic the combat feels with the use of the rope.

Prologue

i rented the game today, 6gb update. before it finished, i loaded game and just got a black screen.

I guess its mandatory to have the update before playing single player?

mulac

Beat the game last night - and ok fair enough I was harsh. Its a 6/10 for me personally.

Like I said; beautiful; great sound and a fitting swangsong but thats it. Empty and boring story, Sam just annoyed me constantly in the 2nd half, predictable action scenes to tie off and Rafe was never the badass evil villain we needed.

Also am I alone in expecting Avery to come to life as a ghost-skeleton-pirate at the end to fight over his treasure? Thats what Uncharted is to me...realistic with a healthy dose of supernatural thrown in.

Anyway, I will play the story DLC but Im looking forward to Tomb Raider on PS4 later this year.

Now onto Dark Souls 2 :)

someday

Banned
Finally finished the game tonight. I'd rate it an amazing story. I really feel like I lived the lives of these characters. That said, it wasn't a great video game to me. I'm not one of those people who bitches about "movie games" or whatever, but this didn't feel wholly like an Uncharted game to me. I loved TLoU but I kept thinking that they were making Uncharted become more like TLoU when it never needed to be. I wanted Drake, not this.

I also hated the sword fight with Rafe and I abhor the sections when we are facing the camera and running for our lives. Nothing sucks as much as this.

So, I'd rate it 7/10 using no actual rating system in existence. The story was fantastic but the game was not and I wanted to play a game. I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls but I didn't expect Uncharted to be like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A mate and I began playing through the game tonight and we stopped at, well, more or less where the E3 demo begins, funnily enough. Approximately how long do we have left? We're playing on Hard and tend to die a handful of times whenever there's a firefight (my controller aim isn't what it used to be, haha).

Prologue

Really slow burn in the beginning but such a wonderful ride. Wish there were more set pieces, but I'm fine with it after that ending, especially after the burn that was ME3.

Those pirates though, they all kept jerking each other around.
I wish there was another way of progressing the story instead of going from place to place looking for the gold, only to find it to be somewhere else again.

Standing ovation!

gadwn

The combat is boring as hell and I've just turned on auto-aim to make it easier to brease through.

I can't comprehend how someone can't enjoy the combat unless that said person don't like third person shooters at all. UC4 have the best shooter gameplay I have ever experienced. No other comparable game give me the same pure joy just playing with the combat sequences.

One of my few complaints is that there are too few of them though. And they often feel unnecessary short, I wouldn't mind a few more waves in the bigger arenas.

I'm on my crushing play-through at the moment and even there you can be aggressive during big gunfights, I captured this recently during on of the awesome arena fights in Madagascar:

https://youtu.be/LXenqNOL_ek

(damn that audio sync bug from sharefactory)

Strange that an encounter in chapter 19 (
blue-tinted cave battle
) actually has a checkpoint on Crushing when no other big fights have.

Definitely not complaining, though :lol

Edit: Man, I don't know what people are talking about when they complain about a lack of spectacle in this game.

Edit edit:
"En garde, dickhead."
*springs to his feet, spills popcorn* YOOOOO

This final boss battle is badass. I've died a number of times, but it's mostly since I keep fumbling for the Share button.

Fuck it, edit edit edit: I was relatively happy as the story was wrapping up, but the final segment upped it to me having a dumb fucking grin on my face and wanting to run around high fiving people. I can't imagine a better ending for the series.
And I would not complain if we someday get another developer making DAUGHTER OF UNCHARTED

I'm up to the bit immediately after Madagascar where
Nate and Sam are boating around the islands looking for a hint at the treasure
. This is a really great change of pace and I love exploring around the wonderful environment. I was investigating a shipwreck and dived underwater, and I was actually a little taken aback by how beautiful the undersea environment looked. I think tropical islands are my favourite environment in videogames.

valkyre

Man i love this game, its right up there as my personnal contender for GOTY.

I platinum'ed it as well. Its a very well crafted game.

But the enemy aiming is such bullshit. I am replaying it now for fun for the 3rd time in hard difficulty just to experience it one more time. And the enemy aiming makes it rather frustrating. Not because it is difficult as much. The game has a ton of checkpoints anyway. So its not hard per se, it is just irritating that enemies can hit you through a fucking keyhole from 100 m away while you are swinging on a rope. Its really bullshit. It actually messes around with my immersion.

I dont know why ND made this decision. Yes old uncharted games were like that but they improved so many things already with Uncharted 4, why didnt they do the same in this regard?

I love the game but sometimes it makes me really want to smash the controler on the wall. Perfect enemy aiming is stupid and i hope Naughty Dog doesnt bring this crap in thrir next IP. TLOU was perfect.

I hope the DLC is filled to the brim with REPLAYABLE gameplay content. This game has WAY too much slow moments which makes replays harder. Like I skip a lot of cutscenes and try to "get to the point" more so than in UC2. In UC2 I'd enjoy most of the scenes as they're short and brief and accompany lots of gameplay. Here, there's too many movement and slow areas, followed by cutscenes and then short brief engaging gunfights which is weird for a game like this to be so sparse and shit. I tend to play the MP way more.

I had entirely forgotten about the forthcoming SP DLC, honestly. Having finished the game, I'm kind of excited to see what it could be. I'd be happy with
The Sully and Sam Adventures
, but I would absolutely love to see a bit more of
DAUGHTER OF UNCHARTED

Doing trophy cleanup now, saving the speedrun for last. Jumping into the few chapters I had to bump down to Hard with infinite ammo, slow motion aiming, no gravity and a Barok 44 is a deeply cathartic experience.

Edit: The absolute best thing this took from TLOU was
recontextualizing the ending by placing you in the shoes of a different character
. It works so damn well.

I hope the DLC is filled to the brim with REPLAYABLE gameplay content. This game has WAY too much slow moments which makes replays harder. Like I skip a lot of cutscenes and try to "get to the point" more so than in UC2. In UC2 I'd enjoy most of the scenes as they're short and brief and accompany lots of gameplay. Here, there's too many movement and slow areas, followed by cutscenes and then short brief engaging gunfights which is weird for a game like this to be so sparse and shit. I tend to play the MP way more.

I think they'll just be focusing on MP and Co-op for that side of things. I really doubt that the story expansion will be much beyond a story expansion. If you want gameplay value then I'm sure MP and co-op additions will be very replayable.

Drencrom

Regarding the SP DLC, it's pretty likely we'll either get
Sully and Sam's Portugal job that is mentioned at the end or Drake and Elena's Malaysian job

DeviantBoi

Not sure where else to post this, so I'll post it here.

I've had the game since day one and I still haven't finished it. Despite loving the series, the characters, and getting the Platinum trophies on all Uncharted games (even the Vita game), I just don't like playing this game.

I love the story and I wanna know what happens to the characters, but the gameplay I dislike.

As a cover-based shooter, I think it fails. I take cover and I'm still getting shot from every direction. I hate the new map designs. I hate the stealth mechanics. I hate that if I finish an encounter, it wasn't because I had a handle on the situation, but because I was running around like a chicken without its head and eventually I outlived all the enemies.

I guess I'll force myself to finish the last few chapters and then put away the game. Don't feel like I could finish this game on Crushing even if I was so inclined.

If Naughty Dog's next game is Last of Us 2, I'll definitely be passing on it. I don't think I got halfway through that game because I just didn't like the gameplay.

Sully and Sam's Portugal job that is mentioned at the end or Drake and Elena's Malaysian job
I don't think it'll be either of those considering neither will add to the main story. It'll likely be
us playing as Sam after Rafe gets him out of prison. They'll go on an adventure together, and it'll end with Sam standing outside Nathans door after ditching Rafe.
If you recall, TLoUs DLC wasn't a random side story. It was something that added a whole new layer to the overall narrative. I don't think
either of the ideas you mentioned would add anything to Uncharted 4s story.

Branson

Finished this today. 14 and a half hours later and it was an amazing experience. Loved the pacing. Took in the atmosphere. Gunplay felt fantastic. Story was interesting and was always super interested in what was going on with the Pirates. Damn. I can see this being GOTY for a lot of people.

I can't comprehend how someone can't enjoy the combat unless that said person don't like third person shooters at all. UC4 have the best shooter gameplay I have ever experienced. No other comparable game give me the same pure joy just playing with the combat sequences.

One of my few complaints is that there are too few of them though. And they often feel unnecessary short, I wouldn't mind a few more waves in the bigger arenas.

I'm on my crushing play-through at the moment and even there you can be aggressive during big gunfights, I captured this recently during on of the awesome arena fights in Madagascar:

https://youtu.be/LXenqNOL_ek

(damn that audio sync bug from sharefactory)

My beef with the combat was that the encounters felt so few and far between that I never felt like I really mastered the mechanics.

Either way, I hope it's structured more like how the game was initially presented (open linear type areas with lots to explore and shoot) vs. what the majority of the game ended up being.

I finished this game shortly after it came out and it left me pretty sour. 6/10 would be accurate. The main reason I felt compelled to keep going was to see how gorgeous the next environment would look. I'm going to give it another shot, see if I can get a bit more out of.

Drencrom

I don't think it'll be either of those considering neither will add to the main story. It'll likely be
us playing as Sam after Rafe gets him out of prison. They'll go on an adventure together, and it'll end with Sam standing outside Nathans door after ditching Rafe.
If you recall, TLoUs DLC wasn't a random side story. It was something that added a whole new layer to the overall narrative. I don't think
either of the ideas you mentioned would add anything to Uncharted 4s story.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea either. That's pretty likely and falls in line with Left Behind yeah.

That would add a bit more to
why Sam worked with Rafe for 2 years and not telling Nate about it only to ditch Rafe. I kinda thought that whole premise was a bit weird and that the game kind of glossed over that part a bit too quick.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea either. That's pretty likely and falls in line with Left Behind yeah.

That would add a bit more to
why Sam worked with Rafe for 2 years and not telling Nate about it only to ditch Rafe. I kinda thought that whole premise was a bit weird and that the game kind of glossed over that part a bit too quick.

I agree. I also think it would be an opportunity learn more about Rafe, and maybe even Nadine assuming she was hired before Sam ditched Rafe. And the banter between Sam and Rafe would be fantastic. I just imagine Rafe acting salty about Nathans accomplishments, trying to convince Sam that Nathan's the "bad guy" for moving on with his life while Sam was locked away.

Top Bottom