• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I'm up to about chapter 16 now; just in
another flashback scene where Nate and Sam break into a mansion looking for their mother's journal
. The last few levels have been incredible, and have had a terrific sense of pace between the bigger exciting set-pieces and the slower exploration levels (I seriously loved
the levels where they were looking around the islands and then exploring Libertalia
). Not so keen on the
flashback stuff
, although I know they're trying to give us
backstory and depth on the relationship between
Nate and Sam.

Kamion

Anyone else had a problem getting the speedrun and accuracy trophies to pop? I just finished the game in 5:22 with 92% accuracy on Explorer...

and the trophies both didn't pop. I'm kind of pissed right now, I sunk a weekend into this. :/

Alpende

I glitched them and they popped for me
wtzgU.gif

Q8D3vil

Just finished it.

Pro's
-Very pretty game with good animation and graphics.

Con's
-Everything else.

6.5/10
It feels like a graphics tech demo to show what ps4 is capable of.

Ydelnae

I started the game yesterday. Like I said in the other thread, I think that the change of tone works for the narrative but it doesn't work for the gameplay the series is based on. In the past three games, I spent most of the time wishing there would be less enemy encounters and more explorations, but now I got less enemy encounters, less explorations and more narrative.

With that said, when I reached
Madagascar
I was blown away. Seriously, this is amazing. I'm still wandering around and it just feels like playing MGSV. I'm loving this chapter. So far, my favorite bits have been
Drake and Elena's house and Madagascar

I haven't heard any reviews, watched any new trailers other than the announcement one and the one with the car persecution, because I wanted to go spoiler free, like I did with TLoU. What I've noticed is that the game feels like "we don't want to do another uncharted game, so let's do another type of game that looks like uncharted so we can send off the saga". Another thought is that the game is not going to be replay-friendly. TLoU already suffered from this because the game doesn't really starts until you leave the city. And this one hasn't properly started until I was 5 hours in.

Just finished it.

Pro's
-Very pretty game with good animation and graphics.

Con's
-Everything else.

6.5/10
It feels like a graphics tech demo to show what ps4 is capable of.

Right so the voice acting is bad, the gunplay is bad, the action sequences are bad, the music is bad etc? I understand the complaints towards the games pacing, and why some may not like the pacing the way it is, but to say everything in the game is a 'con' aside the visuals feels a little unfair.

valkyre

Right so the voice acting is bad, the gunplay is bad, the action sequences are bad, the music is bad etc? I understand the complaints towards the games pacing, and why some may not like the pacing the way it is, but to say everything in the game is a 'con' aside the visuals feels a little unfair.

Actually its more like complete hipster bullshit imo...

Game has flaws I have mentioned quite a few myself but people acting as if this game is BAD... seems to me more like an attempt to get attention rather than constructive critique.

Unknown?

Man i love this game, its right up there as my personnal contender for GOTY.

I platinum'ed it as well. Its a very well crafted game.

But the enemy aiming is such bullshit. I am replaying it now for fun for the 3rd time in hard difficulty just to experience it one more time. And the enemy aiming makes it rather frustrating. Not because it is difficult as much. The game has a ton of checkpoints anyway. So its not hard per se, it is just irritating that enemies can hit you through a fucking keyhole from 100 m away while you are swinging on a rope. Its really bullshit. It actually messes around with my immersion.

I dont know why ND made this decision. Yes old uncharted games were like that but they improved so many things already with Uncharted 4, why didnt they do the same in this regard?

I love the game but sometimes it makes me really want to smash the controler on the wall. Perfect enemy aiming is stupid and i hope Naughty Dog doesnt bring this crap in thrir next IP. TLOU was perfect.

I loved it too!! Just starting to get through it again. Yes it started off slow but it was a necessary slow to make a point. This game must be hard to platinum!! I can't find even half of the hidden treasures.

Roussow

Whilst playing through the game again indulging in photo-mode, I happened to freeze the camera in chapter 3 as Drake is coming out of the lake on the crane. This newspaper flies past Drake for a few seconds. I had to laugh, I take it this is joke in reference to the placeholder Assassins Creed art in the trailer, I wonder if the text in the article translates to anything?

Noobcraft

Whilst playing through the game again indulging in photo-mode, I happened to freeze the camera in chapter 3 as Drake is coming out of the lake on the crane. This newspaper flies past Drake for a few seconds. I had to laugh, I take it this is joke in reference to the placeholder Assassins Creed art in the trailer, I wonder if the text in the article translates to anything?
The text is just placeholder text afaik. The interesting thing to me is the date of May 10, 1985.

Ambitious

Didn't have much time to play games in the last few months. But today, I finally finished Uncharted 4. The credits are rolling right now. Great game, as expected. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed by how long it was. Well, or at least by how long it felt to me.
Didn't see that epilogue coming at all.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just got to chapter 17 so just had some big plot twists. the game looks fantastic. maybe the best looking game out. the face animations are maybe the best i've ever seen in a game. it really feels like watching a movie at times.

maybe it's because i played the uncharted games after one another in a short space of time along with Rise of the Tomb Raider but I've been feeling a bit bored up until now to be honest. it's all the same. go to find treasure and there is some private organisation after it as well so you need to race them there. every now and then you need to go through a big shoot out of these people. also with uncharted 4 it feels like a game of hide and seek.
first you go to the prison, it's not there, go to scotland, it's not there, kings bay, it's not there, the little islands, it's not there, libertalia, it's not there. now i'm off to New Devon...

with uncharted 2 and 3 i couldn't get enough of them and would play for a few hours at a time. uncharted 4 i just feel like i need to take a break from it after about an hour. started playing it 10 days ago. i got through 2+3 in just 4 days.

once i finish i'll make my mind up on it but right now i'd rank the games from best to worse as 2 > 3 > 4 > 1. 2 was fantastic, 3 was enjoyable but felt a bit off. 1 i ended up giving up on. i'm interested to see how the story ends in 4 and the game is great visually but otherwise i feel disappointed.

Are multiplayer unlockables as bad as they look? Because this is pretty silly.

no it's actually easy to unlock things in MP ... There is no duplicates so that make you advance no matter what you do unlike many other online shooters.

You can also get the paid stuff , by playing regulary and it doesn't take that much time to get those items. Imo it's one of the most harmless progression system i've played.

Fezan

Just Ended the game. Really really loved it. Ended it in just two sittings .
After MgsV which I haven't ended yet I thought that I was getting bored of video games but you can say that UC4 has rekindled my love for gaming.

My only complaint is there are no big set pieces like Uc2 and Uc3 and verticality wasn't used as much in combat

HussiZooT

CnwJ7PEUAAEJFxU

OMG, this is amazing!

Finished last night, couldn't stop playing

First Uncharted game for me and I loved it, and this isn't even the best UC game? I may need to get the collection

eFKac

Finished last night, couldn't stop playing

First Uncharted game for me and I loved it, and this isn't even the best UC game? I may need to get the collection

It is the best Uncharted game.

If you enjoyed this game then it's gonna be really hard going back.

Very different style of exposition and pacing, linear, more stop and pop gameplay with mediocre gunplay.

Try them, they are still great games, but don't expect something close to UC4.

Hydrargyrus

I've just beaten the game and it has been awesome. The best Uncharted in the series, even better that Uncharted 2.

Idk what to say. Now I'll try on crushing and I'll search the remaining treasures... and, of course, the MP.

jrush64

Banned
I got a question. I've been playing the collection and just about to finish Uncharted 1. I loved the reveal in 1 and 2. 3 on the other hand was just meh.

I want to ask, is there a big reveal for Uncharted 4 at the end also?

KyleCross

Does the game have a major slow start? I'm up to chapter 10 and I feel like the game is just picking up the pace?!
The game never really picks up the pace. It's a slow burn all the way through, it's paced more like The Last of Us than previous Uncharteds.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I've had it from Gamefly for 2 months. I finally went to play last night and the disc is unreadable after the intro part. I guess it's a common issue.. but for fuck's sake.

That stinks! But funny, I also had it from Gamefly for the last two months and finally got around to playing it and beat it last night.

I feel like the game had way more and longer cutscenes than other entries, with a story I didn't really get into until the end. The beginning definitely dragged - not shooting anyone until 2 or 3 hours in made me want to drop it. I'm not crazy about the jumping since Drake clings to cliffs like a magnet anyway, so it was kind of like playing an interactive movie.

Overall I liked it but still think Uncharted 2 is far superior.

Well I just finished the game. What a ride...
Except for the
mummy room which was total bullshit
I enjoyed this last Uncharted a lot. Exploring the ruins was ton of fun even if the areas were kinda small, all the detail they put into it makes up for it. I took a lot of screenshots and I'm sure seeing them in 2/3 years will make me want to play the game again :p

Oh and an another thing that bother me is the music in the credit... I expected the original theme and a couple of pictures, as a fan of end game credit I'm disappointed :(

RedSwirl

Just started my copy of this game. At chapter 10 and it's pretty dope so far. Some clever bits of interactive storytelling in my opinion. I think it's doing a nice job of toeing the line between game and movie. Story-wise this is the most interested I've been in an Uncharted entry.

Game-wise I'm not sure yet where it sits among the games. The Italy section was some good level design but I haven't experienced anything else yet that hits the highs of Uncharted 2, as if the series kind of hit a plateau since then and Naughty Dog can't push the basic design framework much further than that game did other than a couple nice new gimmicks here and there.

Looks pretty amazing too. I've seen people hold this up as some kind of standard-bearer for console gaming against PC gaming though, but let's not pretend that Uncharted 4 wouldn't be running at 60fps on a 970 or something if it wasn't a first party game, and perhaps with better AA and without the ridiculous shadow dithering. It's really just a matter of money -- no PC exclusive game is probably ever going to have as much money pumped into it as Uncharted 4 -- unless Star Citizen ever comes out. There are PC games that make similar amounts of money, but these days none of them are linear singleplayer action games because it doesn't make sense to not release such games on a console also. Uncharted looks great though. Only recently having bought a PS4 after playing PC games on a GTX 1070, I'm slightly surprised that I'm still impressed by games like this and the recent Call of Dutys. The facial tech in the cut scenes in Uncharted 4 and Black Ops III in particular is phenomenal.

SDR-UK

how old was nathan during the majority of the campaign? i remember a naughty dog twitch stream with them saying he's in his 40s

Assuming the given age of Nathan Drake in Drake's Fortune is indeed correct at 29 then he's 31 by the time Among Thieves takes place, 33 by Drake's Deception and then 37/38 by the time he gets back in the game for A Thief's End.

Assuming the given age of Nathan Drake in Drake's Fortune is indeed correct at 29 then he's 31 by the time Among Thieves takes place, 33 by Drake's Deception and then 37/38 by the time he gets back in the game for A Thief's End.
that makes sense, i'm just saying what i saw ND say themselves

SDR-UK

that makes sense, i'm just saying what i saw ND say themselves

Remember though, when it was first unveiled, Nate looked a lot older than he ended up being in the game. They went back to the drawing board and redesigned the model making him look a lot less aged. Maybe that is where the confusion stems from?

Just hit chapter 18 (
New Devon
). How much longer is the campaign (in hours)?

Approximately hour and a half, maybe two if you're scouring through the areas.

Remember though, when it was first unveiled, Nate looked a lot older than he ended up being in the game. They went back to the drawing board and redesigned the model making him look a lot less aged. Maybe that is where the confusion stems from?
they said 40s during the extended madagascar gameplay live twitch stream, which was a year after that teaser

Dizzan

MINI Member
Just finished it.

Gameplay wise, premise, scale, to me are perfect.

Storyline - Still a massive divide between the film and game industries regarding story telling and the difficulties of trying to keep a story interesting for 14 hours is probably part of the problem.

Can't wait for the next one. Would love to play a game like this with a virtual reality headset. Immersion would be off the chain.

JaseMath

Also just finished. Overall, fantastic experience.

Pros:
• Story was very, very well told. It felt like there were legitimate personal stakes and no character actions ever stood out as forced or unauthentic. Flawless work by all actors
• Mindblowingly beautiful. Literally photorealistic in places; I could not look away
• Sense of scale/wonder is without equal
• The car chase/crane/motorbike scene is the best set piece of all the Uncharted games
• I liked the ending, though I felt the epilogue was unneeded and a bit self-indulgent

Cons
• Huge pacing issues as the game is driven more by narrative than action
• Frustrating difficulty spikes that ruin climactic scenes
• Unclear objectives (at times)
• I liked the ending, though I felt the epilogue was unneeded and a bit self-indulgent

Overall, it's heavy exploratory focus and less action-oriented gameplay led to a more narrative-driven experience than I was expecting. That's not to say it's bad—the game is fantastic from top to bottom—but it wasn't as fun to play as, say, Uncharted 2 which, in the end, I feel is the superior game.

Score: 5/6

RedSwirl

The graphics in this game look fucking ridiculous. With the exception of the egregious shadow dithering, the lighting in this game is perfect most of the time.

What recent games even look nearly as good? Black Ops III at its best moments? Assassin's Creed Unity? DOOM might have some moments too.

Come to think of it, there aren't too many linear games coming out these days that are in a position to challenge Uncharted 4 in the graphics department. Not too many of them are getting the same production budget. So many AAA games now are open-world which means they can't have quite the same visual attention to detail as Uncharted. Witcher 3 looks amazing -- when you're riding past vistas of vast fields or into massive forests, but the nature of the game and the tech keeps it from having any building interiors with lighting as perfect as Uncharted 4's.

jg4xchamp

On chapter 20 on Crushing, and I'm starting this segment with like 15 bullets for the uzi, and two shotgun shells, and it's super frustrating.

HiiiLife

Finally picked this up and beat it over two days. Put it behind two and ahead of 3 / 1. That finale
is how you handle a boss battle.

Now to go back and YouTube all the set pieces to rank em.

Also. The shooting is STILL the worst part of this franchise. I feel TLOU spoiled me because I enjoyed how guns felt in that. Idk. I was hoping ND could kinda bring that feeling of impact over to this. (the pacing was mehhhhh too) but everything else? Whew. Loved walking around and taking in the scenery.

Fjordson

Finally got around to finishing this and loved it. Thought the last third of the game was really strong.

And that epilogue gave me chills. Made me realize how much I'll miss these characters. The performances from Nolan North and the rest of the cast in this are just incredible.

Wanted to replay a few chapters and realized since I started a new game on hard I can't use chapter select at all despite already having completed the game.

How did that go unnoticed

Rated-G

Wanted to replay a few chapters and realized since I started a new game on hard I can't use chapter select at all despite already having completed the game.

How did that go unnoticed

I'm guessing it's intentional, it's been like that for all 4 games if you selected New Game, as opposed to chapter select and then choosing your difficulty from there.

Blinck

Just finished this game!

Man, I have to say, this is definitely the most impressive game I've ever played. From a production perspective I think nothing comes even nearly close. From the way each chapters opens with an impressive vista that look like paintings, to the consistently jaw-droping environments, to the insane amount of little details, the incredible voice acting....it's just absolutely impressive. It's the best way I can describe this game - Impressive.

That being said, there was way too much padding, too little combat. The combat is drastically improved but there was very little of it, which made the pacing pretty bad, specially towards the end where I wanted it to pick up but it never did. The "set pieces" were explosive and awe-inducing, but I needed more "normal combat" sequences as well.
The
young-drakes robbery sequence
was extremely long, and while the last part was important for the story, they should have cut it in half at least. Just way too much walking around without anything happening and no meaningful dialogue until the end.
There was just too much walking. I don't mind the traversal, but I do mind the endless walking sections.

Still, best story of all the uncharted by a mile, a really cool ending, and overall a beautiful send off to this awesome series.

I really wish the pacing was better. I want to replay the game but never feel compelled to do it by just thinking about the extremely slow start and those other slow sections. I needed more actual gameplay.

phoenixyz

That being said, there was way too much padding, too little combat. The combat is drastically improved but there was very little of it, which made the pacing pretty bad, specially towards the end where I wanted it to pick up but it never did. The "set pieces" were explosive and awe-inducing, but I needed more "normal combat" sequences as well.
The
young-drakes robbery sequence
was extremely long, and while the last part was important for the story, they should have cut it in half at least. Just way too much walking around without anything happening and no meaningful dialogue until the end.
There was just too much walking. I don't mind the traversal, but I do mind the endless walking sections.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I thought after finishing it. The shoot/stealth sections often felt too long. I would have preferred more exploration and dialogues/story.

Top Bottom