• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Amy Hennig or Neil Druckmann?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
UC4 is crap. UC2 is infinitely better than UC4 and the best game ND has made.
The Last of Us 2 exists now so it's second best and after that it's the first Jak and Daxter. 🐻

It's Amy Hennig's creation, Druckmann sort of muscled his way into it and I think UC4 is by far the weakest game in the series I'd rate the first game and the Vita game higher.

Not gonna lie though I'd love to have seen the alternate universe version of Uncharted 2 with the mute girl and Elena dying. It would certainly be interesting but it's not in the right tone of the series. Considering it's Indiana Jones for Spring Breakers.

Last edited:

tsumake

I don’t mean this to be a Hennig vs Druckmann thread. Just trying to get an idea of the narrative style of U4.

I dont know why but i LOVE Uncharted 2 heaps more than 4 even though the last one is just beautiful to look at.

What are the strengths of both Druckmann and Hennig?

jonnyp

I’m playing through Uncharted 2 on the ND Collection. I plan to play through Uncharted 3, but I have U4 and the expansion in my library.

TBH, I’m not a fan of Druckmann’s writing style and characterization, but I am a fan of Amy Hennig. How much is U4 a Druckmann game vs a Hennig game? Does it have Hennig’s style in it?

As much as I dig Hennig, her idea of having Nate's long lost brother as the antagonist for UC4 didn't really sound like a fun, adventure romp that you'd expect from an Uncharted. Don't think Druckmann was the right choice for it either of course. Still, UC4 is good but probably my least favourite in the series though and I really missed Edmonson's music (cannot stand Jackman's generic and boring stuff).

Last edited:

tsumake

I dont know why but i LOVE Uncharted 2 heaps more than 4 even though the last one is just beautiful to look at.

What are the strengths of both Druckmann and Hennig?

Druckmann has a different approach to characterization. I call it « HBO style ». His writing’s not my cup of tea, but often a game is more then the sum of its parts.

Amy Hennig’s writing for the Uncharted games is a bit more light hearted but still character driven. I think she’s written better games (Soul Reaver) but it’s still solid.

tsumake

As much as I dig Hennig, her idea of having Nate's long lost brother as the antagonist for UC4 didn't really sound like a fun, adventure romp that you'd expect from an Uncharted. Don't think Druckmann was the right choice for it either of course. Still, UC4 is good but probably my least favourite in the series though and I really missed Edmonson's music (cannot stand Jackman's genering and boring stuff).

Yeah, I heard about that original plot. I agree it’s not the most compelling narrative but I think she could have done something with the idea that was palatable.

brenobnfm

As much as I dig Hennig, her idea of having Nate's long lost brother as the antagonist for UC4 didn't really sound like a fun, adventure romp that you'd expect from an Uncharted. Don't think Druckmann was the right choice for it either of course. Still, UC4 is good but probably my least favourite in the series though and I really missed Edmonson's music (cannot stand Jackman's genering and boring stuff).

Dafuq? Uncharted 4 music is so much superior to anything before in the series it's not even funny, tbh i can't even remember anything apart from the main theme in the original trilogy, which has a superior remix in Uncharted 4 anyway.

Kokoloko85

I love 4 and 2.
Ive played 4 more times And really enjoy it, it mechanically and graphically amazing and better in most ways than 2.

But 2 is the most special of the 4. Its genre defining, it was something new and awesome, it set a new bar and it was the game that boosted the PS3 and changed its future

jonnyp

Dafuq? Uncharted 4 music is so much superior to anything before in the series it's not even funny, tbh i can't even remember anything apart from the main theme in the original trilogy, which has a superior remix in Uncharted 4 anyway.

Nah, it's generic boring shit. Nothing in it comes close to Edmonson's Nate Themes or Reunion.

Last edited:

RCU005

I loved Uncharted 4 but hated two things:

1) Retconning Nate's brother. It could have been a great friend or something else, but making Sam his brother sucked, and ruined it for me. It invalidates the story of how Nate and Sully met. The child sequences just to try to justify Sam's existence sucked!

2) Nate would never go and leave Elena, much less lie to her!: I mean who the f... is Sam? Nate would never choose him over Elena. Period! In fact, he would go to Elena first!

Other than that, the game was great! The story could have been even better if Sam was someone other than his brother. He could have been a very best friend from childhood, or maybe he saved Nate's life at some point. It would've made more sense, they would've dropped Elena and Nate's story to the dump, and there would've been better interactions. The pacing would've been better because there would be no unnecessary childhood sequences.

OT, I do like Neil Druckmann's style better, though.

jonnyp

We're gonna have to stop posting so close to each other.
People will start getting confused!
🤣

Hope so! All part of the plan!

iu

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Eh, aside from pacing issues (more towards the end of the first act and the beginning of the final one, I typically don't mind slow burn beginnings, myself) it's a pretty tight gameplay experience. It has some of the more annoying trappings of narrative driven wide-linear models of AAA games in the past few years. it flirts with market tested 'widest net possible to catch the most diverse fish,' gameplay mechanics without actually committing to any that change the formula in any substantial way. There's elements at play that just reek of "we put this in here specifically because it would make a nice quotable paragraph in reviews," like the Madagascar section.

The few new mechanics that do get introduced are used over and over and not changed up to increase the difficulty, or make the player think about things too much. TLOU2, for all it's vitriol, be it earned or not, does a little better in this regard with a few variations on rope puzzles and what not. Uncharted 4 is essentially just "look, a rockslide! Look, a grapple point! Now check this out, a rockslide AND a grapple point!"

Also, there's this weird quirk where Uncharted influenced the Tomb Raider reboot but the Tomb Raider reboot clearly influenced Uncharted in turn, and it creates a paradox that just screams dev laziness in the name of throwing all of their money into visuals.

That said, what worked before works the same or better now, but if you feel like climby climby shoot bang was getting boring, this shit doesn't reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: Looking back on this post, I apparently don't actually like this game that much. Go figure. Make up your own mind.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Uncharted 4 is pretty much a Druckmann game. Pacing suffers greatly as a result.
No the pacing suffered due to the fact Amy did nothing but fuck up the game for two years before straly & Druckman had to take over her mess. Not having enough time to make levels smaller

Strategize

If UC4 had the extra year of development (Neil said they made a 3 year project in 2 years), then it'd be the best one by a mile.

Instead, it's just arguably the best one.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Uncharted 3 is the worst out of all the games (really bad game in my opinion) and then probably uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 is mostly a Amy henning game Neil just took over towards the end when she left

Why is it a really bad game? What score do you give it?

THEAP99

Banned
Maybe it’s cus I didn’t play them at the time of releasing but uncharted 4 & lost legacy are way better than the first 3 games I think. The first three are basically like the fast & furious franchise or movies you go see in the summer for fun but forget about it ASAP.
Would love for them to be remade on the updated engine and mechanics though so it would be more enjoyable

Top Bottom