• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Amy Hennig or Neil Druckmann?

sainraja

I really enjoyed the first Uncharted game. I've played that a dozen times. I loved the twist they had in the game with the cursed! The best part about that was they dropped subtle hints during the game but never spent too much time dwelling on that (even Drake + Elena discussed it but quickly dismissed it) so when we finally encountered them it was a little scary – then I secretly wished they'd work on a survival horror game, the likes of Resident Evil, and they did! lol. I also enjoyed Uncharted 2, didn't like the twist in it as much as the first but still liked it. Uncharted 3 was also very fun, I enjoyed the twist with the Djinn. Too bad they didn't carry that forward with Uncharted 4 =[

I can't neglect what drove me towards story based games and it was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, which lead me to God of War......after which I was looking forward to Assassins Creed and randomly purchased UC1 (also Gamestop was giving it early to people before release so I said why not?) and never looked back!

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the whole series, and I don't know or care who directed/wrote what, but The Lost Legacy and Uncharted 3 were my favorites.

Last edited:

Fbh

Hennig by Far.

Uncharted 4 was The Dark Knight Rises of the Uncharted franchise for me. Liked it well enough on my first playthrough, but thinking back on it a few days after finishing it and then replaying it made me realize how big a of a step back it was for the franchise in most things except visuals and gunplay.

Very slow pacing with lots of cutscenes or very slow scripted sequences, combat encounters got massively reduced and replaced by more walking and talking, box "puzzles" (if you can even call them that) and braindead platforming, big open areas with literally nothing to do in them other than finding the same old basic collectibles, pretty much just 1 good setpiece moment which was the big chase they spoiled during E3 and no supernatural elements which I always enjoyed in previous games.

It's really a shame how they cut back combat encounters, the game does have better gunplay than the Ps3 entries (also way less sponges which is nice), but Druckmann was too busy playing movie director to really take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Uncharted 1 reminded me of why I liked The Mummy. Uncharted 2+ reminded me of why I disliked The Mummy 2, 3 and all other action movie sequels that do the same thing as the original only bigger and more convoluted. I liked some of the set pieces, some of the dialogue, and how they've sown it up in 4 but they completely failed to set up a compelling mystery like they did with the first one

edit: so neither Druckmann or Hennig. They both botched it

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Without any spoilers.

1 built a fun little world.

2 expanded on the formula established in 1 and nailed it. It is the Terminator 2, Empire Strikes Back, Godfather II to Uncharted 1.

3 is neat but does not do anything better than 2. It doesn't even fully realize the great formula established in the previous two titles.

4 feels like a mix of Uncharted and The Last of Us-great on their own but what works in one game doesn't necessarily work great in the other. It, like 3, fails to really make use the full Uncharted formula and I think it suffers from it. The story is too focused on personal relationships and not the adventure itself, again something that works for TLOU but not uncharted.

MrS

Banned
Straley and Druckmann. The story is bad but that gameplay is un fucking forgiveable. Garbage game and I don't care how many copies it sold. It's dogshit. The worst Sony published game I've played this gen by some distance.

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 has one of the coolest chase sequences ever made in a videogame. Apart from that it's garbage. Terrible pacing.
It's a 3rd person shooter that's ashamed of being a shooter. Instead we have lots of braindead climbing and a story that takes itself too seriously.

"Buh... But it has a good story"

How is it good? Being serious and depressive doesn't mean it's "deep".

tsumake

Uncharted 4 has one of the coolest chase sequences ever made in a videogame. Apart from that it's garbage. Terrible pacing.
It's a 3rd person shooter that's ashamed of being a shooter. Instead we have lots of braindead climbing and a story that takes itself too seriously.

"Buh... But it has a good story"

How is it good? Being serious and depressive doesn't mean it's "deep".

Serious and depressive? Yeesh.

Collin

Banned
4 is my favorite tbh but it’s definitely a noticeable change in tone. i prefer it.

i remember before it came out everyone thought it was gonna be dark and gritty because of druckmann, but it really isn’t, it’s just more grounded. lost legacy is also a great time

brenobnfm

Uncharted 2 is a piece of shit, poster boy for the most mediocre gameplay trend in history of video games: the braindead cover shooter with spongy enemies for a dozen of hours non stop. You can't pay me to play this garbage again.

The comparison is insulting to Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I’m playing through Uncharted 2 on the ND Collection. I plan to play through Uncharted 3, but I have U4 and the expansion in my library.

TBH, I’m not a fan of Druckmann’s writing style and characterization, but I am a fan of Amy Hennig. How much is U4 a Druckmann game vs a Hennig game? Does it have Hennig’s style in it?
Uncharted 1-4, LL and TLOU are good. Haley Gross is what ruined TLOU2 story, that's the bigger issue!

Pejo

Uncharted 2 was my favorite of the series, 3 was ok, 1 was a good start. I absolutely hated 4. The pacing as others have mentioned was awful and the story was all over the place. Also, maybe this was just because I had already beaten this game essentially 3 times, but the "move to a new area and fight a group of enemies then move to the next area" was so obvious in this game. There were no surprises and it never felt organic to me.

Bolivar687

Banned
I definitely think the characterization, and likely almost all of the rest of the game, is Druckmann. Characters take themselves a little more seriously than they did in the previous games. Forced sentimentality among lots of killing. The kind of story that someone would only think was laudable in a video game. Worst villains in the series.

Uncharted 4 is bad. Some of the worst pacing I've seen this generation. Shootouts that feel like a painful chore. They tried to make some open levels and they just feel like a waste of time, as do the flashbacks with Sam that keep coming back and feel like they'll never end. Uncharted 3's opening with Nate's childhood feels like a master class in comparison.

The comments in this thread comparing UC4 favorably to the older games are kind of fucking with my head a little bit.

I'm replaying uc4 (after finishing TLoU 2, which I liked... But found too long)... Anyway, the game starts way too slow, you have about two straight hours of exposition with minor action straight at the beginning... I'd say it's the worst thing about the game (also, the story is less interesting than uc2 and 3, which are two games that I love and replay from time to time).

I suspect Drunkmann had his hands in breaking the pace, and he may have added the intersectional elements too... But the worst thing is how they invented a brother for Nathan Drake, this is soap opera level B.S.

MrS

Banned
4th is the best one.

I played them one after the other and the result is this.

U4>>>>>>>>>>U2>U3>U1

The difference regarding quality is insane.
They’re all shite so 4 being better than the rest isn’t saying much.

Uncharted 1-4, LL and TLOU are good. Haley Gross is what ruined TLOU2 story, that's the bigger issue!
Given it’s impossible to discern who wrote what unless you’re part of the ND writing team, how the fuck do work out what she is and isn’t responsible for? Stop talking nonsense. It makes you sound sexist.

Last edited:
Druckmann wrote for every uncharted.
Uncharted 2 got him the job to do any project he wanted.
Uncharted 3 is the only title he didnt have any influence on since jak 3.

UC4 is by a wide margin the least fun game in the series. The story is dull, the setpieces are uninspired, the exploration bits felt tacked on and out of place for an uncharted game, the pacing is awful, the characters are boring. This all coming from a guy who played UC 1-3 multiple times through and thought they were/are all fantastic.

Ellery

Since my biggest problem with Uncharted was always the enemy A.I. I found Uncharted 4 to be more enjoyable, but I understand that people love the pacing and action of Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 4 and TLL is more what I would want to see in the future, because besides a few things I think they overall improved tremendously. Balancing gameplay, pacing, environments, story, dialogues, exploration and then being more grounded is not an easy task.

Though I do have to add, as some have already pointed out, the beginning of Uncharted 4 might be a tiny bit too long, but technically well made.

I am surprised we see so much polarization in this thread and with Uncharted. I found all of those games to be pretty solid and fun.

Justin9mm

They’re all shite so 4 being better than the rest isn’t saying much.

Given it’s impossible to discern who wrote what unless you’re part of the ND writing team, how the fuck do work out what she is and isn’t responsible for? Stop talking nonsense. It makes you sound sexist.
Are you joking? She was brought on to assist with the story of the TLOU2, she has done many an interview and podcasts with Neil and they basically wrote the story together.

Your comment makes you sound like an idiot because you clearly know nothing about it.

THEAP99

Banned
Are you joking? She was brought on to assist with the story of the TLOU2, she has done many an interview and podcasts with Neil and they basically wrote the story together.
That’s not true. Amy has nothing to do with either the last of us game

MrS

Banned

Your comment makes you sound like an idiot because you clearly know nothing about it.
Err, no it doesn’t. Neil Druckmann had developed an interest in SJW shit long before Halley joined the ND writing team(did you even play Left Behind?), so what are you talking about? You can’t just blame that shit on Halley. You have no idea who wrote or suggested certain parts of the story, so how you can pin the blame on Halley for the parts you didn’t like is ludicrous 🤡🤡🤡

If, as you say, they wrote the story together how the fuck can you blame her for ruining the story? Neil is equally culpable.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Uncharted 4 is alright, I much prefer Amy Hennig's style of writing, but in U4 Druckmann hadn't gone SJW crazy, or at least not completely. The character of Nadine stands out due to how ridiculous she is, but outside of that, the writing is alright.

Atrus

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 is the worst of the series.

As with 3, it focuses on building a narrative around set pieces that at times hurts the story, doubles down on flashbacks that hurt the pacing, and inexplicable takes the main character to task for the call to adventure in an action adventure game.

It’s the only game on the series I haven’t platinumed because it is a chore to “play”.

SpiceRacz

UC2 = UC3 > UC4 > UC1

People typically place 3 below 2, but 3 is every bit as good imo. 4 kinda drags. Could have been about 4 or 5 hours shorter.

Justin9mm

Err, no it doesn’t. Neil Druckmann had developed an interest in SJW shit long before Halley joined the ND writing team(did you even play Left Behind?), so what are you talking about? You can’t just blame that shit on Halley. You have no idea who wrote or suggested certain parts of the story, so how you can pin the blame on Halley for the parts you didn’t like is ludicrous 🤡🤡🤡

If, as you say, they wrote the story together how the fuck can you blame her for ruining the story? Neil is equally culpable.
You got no idea wtf you are talking about, you have obviously never watched an in depth podcast or interviews with them. Neil took on most of her own idea of where they took the story, they said it together. There were so many of the story aspects that were her idea. So you have no clue what you are on about. Stop talking like you actually know. Go do some research.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS

MrRogers

Uncharted 4 wrecked my suspension of disbelief when a skinny black girl fought nathan and won multiple times... So Henning?

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's certainly got touches of the magic Hennig and Straley brought to the table, namely because Straley co-headed the project I suspect. And this is enough to stop it from being a bad game, and even reminds us of why the series is so beloved. It can be fun and exciting. But, unfortunately it has Druckmann's signature excess and pretense smothered on it, so fun is frowned upon. Uncharted 4 suffers from a lot of self-indulgence and abject dourness that any editor would've cut. The game's narrative structure is the worst of the series by a large margin - it has, if I remember rightly, three "beginnings" and a flashback structure that is simply beyond the writing competency of the people involved. There's little reason for such convolutions, other than the writers thinking its fancy story structure, which they can't and didn't pull off. The narrative is a horribly convoluted affair, with the biggest moments all being spoiled by the trailers and E3 presentation, and the most sincere moments just being a retread of the things done better in U2. With TLOU2 being the Neil Druckmann show, and seemingly suffering from all of the same problems, it's fair to say U4 is more Druckmann than Hennig. And it's worse for it. Luckily, as I said, Straley's there to keep it on the rails for the most part - it's not bad, just not as good, as whats come before it.

It's biggest sin, though, is the narrative's botched attempt at "deconstruction" and "re-contextualisation" - things Druckmann attempts with TLOU2 and seemingly fails at again. According to Uncharted 4, U1-U3 were bad things and us, like Nate, should feel bad that we ever found it exciting, interesting, and fun. It's like making an Indiana Jones movie where the plot is Indie learning that adventure and fun is bad. The spirit of the narrative and the characters just doesn't come together. For me, it's a very dour game that's very unenjoyable, mostly because it fails to understand its predecessors. And that's Druckmann's signature.

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Last edited:

Arachnid

Uncharted 2 is the best in the series by a large margin.

U4 had the best story IMO, but it was a complete bore to play through compared to 2 or 3.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
To be honest and fair... Both Neil and Amy get a TON of undeserved shit from all sorts of people with varying agendas or opinions.
But at the end of the day, they're both just game creators, and the absolute horrendous abuse that both of them get from utter cretins is atrocious!

It's just the same toxic "fandom" you see everywhere. It's almost hard to share your enjoyment of things with others because of these shitbags. They just like to shit all over everything because they get some kind of joy from it. They enjoy taking happiness away from others and would be ecstatic if they could make creative people feel bad with their hate. It's pretty pathetic and with any luck it will eventually be shit out by our culture for the useless shit that it is.

Astral Dog

Amy Hennig made the best Uncharted games (and basically created the series) before she was pushed out from Naughty Dog by that ass Druckmann, now she is doing some mobile /VR game i don't remember

Astral Dog

Uncharted 3 is the worst out of all the games (really bad game in my opinion) and then probably uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 is mostly a Amy henning game Neil just took over towards the end when she left
Not really he throwed away her story and started again, its 100% a Druckmann game

If you don't like Druckmaam's writing, don't play Uncharted 4. I don't like it either and I regret playing it.

Only Uncharted 1 and 3 are canon as far as I'm concerned.

CitizenX

Banned
Fck me, i just went to see what A. Henning was up to and surprise shes a fcking left wing puppet who cant think for themselves. What an idiot, but thats OK, your ignorance to be brainwashed does not lessen your awesome writing talent and I would never, ever censor your voice.

Yoboman

Amy Henig

Pros:
Funny
Short and sharp dialogue, good pacing
Fun set pieces
World building
Strong companion characters

Cons:
Struggles past surface level conflicts and themes
Weak villains
Weak character motivations, goals
Weak final acts

Neil Druckmann

Pros:
Great character writing
Deals with deeper themes
A more "mature" style
Provocative endings
Master of getting the player emotionally invested
Good antagonists
Not afraid of controversy
World building

Cons:
Not really funny at all
Some bloating in the stories - could use some editing down
Controversial story making decisions if you didnt like them

Overall I pick Druckmann. TLOU1 and 2 will stay with me for ever, and UC4's ending was just a perfect goodbye to the franchise. But UC2 is still arguably Naughty Dogs best game ever

Top Bottom