• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Amy Hennig or Neil Druckmann?

Paracelsus

I’m playing through Uncharted 2 on the ND Collection. I plan to play through Uncharted 3, but I have U4 and the expansion in my library.

TBH, I’m not a fan of Druckmann’s writing style and characterization, but I am a fan of Amy Hennig. How much is U4 a Druckmann game vs a Hennig game? Does it have Hennig’s style in it?

The original sounds better.

Amiga

The Last of Us 2 exists now so it's second best and after that it's the first Jak and Daxter. 🐻

It's Amy Hennig's creation, Druckmann sort of muscled his way into it and I think UC4 is by far the weakest game in the series I'd rate the first game and the Vita game higher.

Not gonna lie though I'd love to have seen the alternate universe version of Uncharted 2 with the mute girl and Elena dying. It would certainly be interesting but it's not in the right tone of the series. Considering it's Indiana Jones for Spring Breakers.
U3 is better than 4. it had great action set-pieces like the plane and the ship. It was still a fun adventure.

Niel claiming the story in U4 didn't work is hilarious in retrospect. he made it an awkwardly serious drama, and that fake playable and over dramatic prison escape was a sign of things to come from Druckmann. we need to admit we let a lot things slide because we were fans of ND. but now they seriously need an intervention. After the successes and quality of GOW, SpiderMan, HorizonZD and Ghost of Tsushima ND dropped from the #1 Sony studio to #5. and if Bend Studios upgrade they can get ahead of ND as well.

I’m playing through Uncharted 2 on the ND Collection. I plan to play through Uncharted 3, but I have U4 and the expansion in my library.

TBH, I’m not a fan of Druckmann’s writing style and characterization, but I am a fan of Amy Hennig. How much is U4 a Druckmann game vs a Hennig game? Does it have Hennig’s style in it?

I think Amy's touch isn't quite apparent and it's purely a Bruce & Neil's uncharted game. The game's pacing is absurd in many areas, for me UC4 and RDR 2 are two of the greatest looking games but can make you yawn the hell out when playing through them. Never experienced that with UC123 nor RDR2010

slade

It depends on how invested you were in the characters after the first 3 games. Uncharted 4 is a great send off for Nate Drake and company. Coming of the disappointing narrative in Uncharted 3, I liked that it actually explored Nate and Elena's relationship.

Uncharted 2 is my fav uncharted.
So I would've liked to see what Amy could have done with the series.

Still for me TLOU > Uncharted.
In both game play and story.

sephiroth7x

I want to start by saying, 'Absolutely 100% play UC4'. It is a great game in its own right and holds up in both graphical accomplishment and design.

Now for the caveat - It is the worst in the series. My understanding was that Hennig had very little to do with it, and her lighter style while still tackling quite serious issues is lost for a far more dramatic and heavy approach which as people in this thread have already stated, totally ruins the pace of the game. If you fell in love with the original three, then four will no doubt be too ponderous and slow. What I will state, is that Lost Legacy (its DLC spin off) is actually quite good as, shedding its heavy emotional approach, it runs along just like one of the originals.

Summarised - Play it and find out for yourself :)

Hudo

Amy Hennig understood that at the end of the day, she's making a video game. While Uncharted 1 to 3 are cinematic experiences, they still are replayable to this day IMHO because there's a fun gameplay loop there. I have actually played through Uncharted 2 multiple times because it was fun to play. I never touched any of Druckmann's "games" again. I dropped 4 and didn't complete it. I did complete The first Last of Us but never played it again and also dropped Last of Us 2 after some hours because I felt like it was trying to shove certain viewpoints down my throat instead of giving me the freedom to make up my own mind and present the subject matter at hand in a way that a player can explore for himself. But that doesn't mean that Druckmann's productions are bad. There are apparently many people out there who like those and that's cool. His stuff so far just isn't for me. But maybe that will change in the future? Who knows.

Uncharted 3 is the worst out of all the games (really bad game in my opinion) and then probably uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 is mostly a Amy henning game Neil just took over towards the end when she left

Uncharted 3 is great. After playing UC2 it felt immediately like a big jump up in quality across the board.

UC4 I didn't even finish can't remember why but I got it with PS+ and I will retry it.

UC2 was great but it drags on like a bitch.

Last edited:
Must suck caring who made/directed the game. It's universally praised and you won't know until you play it. Uncharted 4 has one of the best moments in gaming ever.

4 had pacing problems, especially at the end where it just dragged, Nadine and the other villain where just kind of lame, and the lack of the usual supernatural elements made the entire thing seem more low stakes and small scale than previous adventures, ending Drakes treasure hunting career on a bit of a damp squib, but it was still a very, very good game.

My personal ranking for the games:

2 > Lost Legacy > 1 > 4 > 3 > Golden Abyss.

Exede

I'm mixing up UC games, which one had the supernatural evil spear guys in it? It's still super weird couse the rest of the series is pretty much grounded in reality.

Saaleh

Banned
I prefer Neil's development vision but i hate the fact that he involves politics and controversial topics into ND games. Like israel and LGBT stuff. Previous games didn't have that bad feeling..

Other than that really no one can deny the ND games keeps evolving.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Amy is a far better writer compared to Neil. Anyone that disagrees is a zoomer or never played Soul Reaver. Uncharted bored the shit out of me though, can't say I care about 1-4. 🤷‍♂️

Kamina

Golden Boy
We're gonna have to stop posting so close to each other.
People will start getting confused!
🤣
Hope so! All part of the plan!

iu
You mean you two are not each other’s dupe account? 🤨

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Druckmann.

Nathan Drake comes out of the closet and turns out to be gay.

Also, in an amazing plot twist, Sir Francis Drake was not a man, but in reality she was Miss Francisca Drake, a female explorer.

They somehow deleted some letters in all historical evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Humdinger

UC4 shows more of Druckman's style, for sure. For my money, it's the worst of the Uncharted games. It lacks Hennig's focus on fun and instead devolves into "mature" themes related to marriage and family. In Druckman's hands, It basically becomes a family drama -- not entirely, but that's the predominant feeling I got from the story. It lacks a lot of the fun, free-wheeling style of Henning -- you know, where she was trying to ape the feel of Indiana Jones and the like. Instead, it focuses a lot on "adult" family relationship issues, which honestly I could give a crap about.

I suppose they were trying to craft a more "mature" story for Nate's finale. To me, it lost the magic of what made Uncharted fun, and it came off more like a TV family drama. Just didn't care about that.

The influence of Druckman brought it down, imo. I enjoyed all the other Uncharteds more.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted 4 is such a great game and I think it's great it gets criticized on the internet.

GustavoLT

Uncharted - good game
Uncharted 2 - masterpiece
Uncharted 3 - great game
Uncharted 4 - great game
The Last of Us - masterpiece
The Last of Us II - good game

Bartski

Gold Member
I only played Uncharted 4 because it was bundled with my PS4 and I thought it was fun, amazing looking technical feat but I'd never call myself a fan of the series. I respect the art and the craft, and I'm happy other people liked it - mainly because without it we wouldn't have TLOU and TLOU2 which imho are both staggering achievements of the medium I love.

Soul Reaver was GREAT tho.

Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 would have obviously been much better than Druckma's version.

Sam and Rafe were going to be the villians. Sam was going to have a grudge against Nate for leaving him in prison for 15 years. At the climax, Nate would have had to convince Sam to switch back to his side to take Rafe down.

Also Nate, Sully and Elena were going to be together for the entire game. Elena was also supposed to be part if ballroom scene and there was going to be a silly quicktime section where you had to ballroom dance with Elena in order to pick-pocket someone. There was also going to be a mini game where you cook pasta for Elena in your house.

Most importantly, I believe Greg Edmonson would have come back and we would have gotten Nate's Theme 4.0 on the main menu of the game and a whole lot of actual iconic tracks. I hate that Druckman went for a silent main menu and I think the work that Henry "Jackoff" Jackman did for Uncharted 4's soundtrack was a horrible and total and let down compared to the original trilogy's music.

It's just such a disgrace that they didn't bring Greg Edmonson for the finally. I LOVE Naughty Dog but honestly fuck them for that decision. He was what made Uncharted iconic.

Edit: Also I see everyone rating the games. Here's my list from Best to Worst.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Overall best experience, and an incredibly iconic score.
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Best Atmosphere, awesome Raiders of the Lost Ark style plot twist at the end.
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Best side characters.
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Best locations, awesome misty jungles.
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Best gameplay, solid game but seriously lacks the iconic soundtrack.
Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Best action sequences of the franchise, best music, worst story.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 would have obviously been much better than Druckma's version.

Sam and Rafe were going to be the villians. Sam was going to have a grudge against Nate for leaving him in prison for 15 years. At the climax, Nate would have had to convince Sam to switch back to his side to take Rafe down.

Also Nate, Sully and Elena were going to be together for the entire game. Elena was also supposed to be part if ballroom scene and there was going to be a silly quicktime section where you had to ballroom dance with Elena in order to pick-pocket someone. There was also going to be a mini game where you cook pasta for Elena in your house.

Most importantly, I believe Greg Edmonson would have come back and we would have gotten Nate's Theme 4.0 on the main menu of the game and a whole lot of actual iconic tracks. I hate that Druckman went for a silent main menu and I think the work that Henry "Jackoff" Jackman did for Uncharted 4's soundtrack was a horrible and total and let down compared to the original trilogy's music.

It's just such a disgrace that they didn't bring Greg Edmonson for the finally. I LOVE Naughty Dog but honestly fuck them for that decision. He was what made Uncharted iconic.

Edit: Also I see everyone rating the games. Here's my list from Best to Worst.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Overall best experience, and an incredibly iconic score.
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Best Atmosphere, awesome Raiders of the Lost Ark style plot twist at the end.
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Best side characters.
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Best locations, awesome misty jungles.
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Best gameplay, solid game but seriously lacks the iconic soundtrack.
Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Best action sequences of the franchise, best music, worst story.
It was said that Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 didn't have any gunplay for the 1st half of the game 🚶‍♂️

Valentino

Uncharted 4 is so fine tuned and fun to control. Guarantee - GUARANTEE, if Uncharted 4 was done by Hennig again, years down the line the game would be criticised for not evolving the franchise and not trying something new and "all Uncharted are the same!". Uncharted 3 was already criticised for being Uncharted 2.0. And don't make me laugh if you think Uncharted 4 isn't light hearted. Define light-hearted for the Uncharted franchise?..........
U4 is more nuance, yes. Takes the somewhat serious notes set up in previous games and really expresses them even further, yes. But it was still light-hearted and bright as hell. Thank god we got some form of evolution for the franchise before it's send off. The swing rope is fun as hell too. A lot of you bum Amy Hennig but only rave about Uncharted 2............anything else? I mean U1 was good. U3 was very good too...... but you KNOW U3 is plot hole ridden, and basically follows U2 story beats. And you all talk about the setpieces....... okayyyyy..... they are hella fun - but you also know they made the set pieces first and built story around them, which in the long run didn't help the story. (Shipyard level)
Uncharted franchise is my top game franchise - But LEZ be real about the Amy Hennig situation.

Principal

I can't believe no one is mentioning the fact that they ruined hand to hand combat in Uncharted 4, 2 has the best package, 3 has the best experience because of the bombastic action, one has best atmosphere, LL has an interesting set up, but 4 is a literal slog in the beginning. I liked Scotland but it's clear that they were missing a major set piece, seeing as there was a crane set piece.

BTW, did you guys know that Uncharted 3 crashed badly at the end of the cycle and had to be rushed to completion, hence a jarring section in the game where it feels like things aren't really connected? That Ramzes had a bigger part and so did the Salim :)

Top Bottom