• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

So basically that's how the game would look on Xbox One? So much pop

Nah, not even close. This is what it should look like, with a full range of colors, blacks being blacks and white being white, not grays. Even in the dark scenes I can still see what is on the screen, unlike most crushed blacks on the X1.

StuBurns

Banned
I'll say the same thing I said to you in other threads. This game will not be 60fps. Ever since the reveal they stated the reveal was 60fps and that they were aiming for 60fps, people ran with it as a fact the final game would be 60fps and maintain what was in the trailer. Same as when Evolution said they were aiming for 60fps for Driveclub and people ran with it being 60fps for months.
They also said they were targeting 60fps for TLoU Remastered, and they did that. They said it was an internal decision, it's not some arbitrary thing they might or might not achieve, they said they decided they want that, and are aiming at it.
There is no way that was going to happen. When you say Drake get up and his weight displace the sand underhim, the other details in that scene; there is no way that was ever going to hold up in gameplay. Anyone who thought that scene was indicative of how this game would be during gameplay has their expectation way beyond what is possible.
And why would they do that during the normal gameplay when you couldn't appreciate it? Only applying levels of detail and a richer simulation when they can be appreciated is fundamental within game production. The deformation mesh is a great example, it should happen in that cutscene, it shouldn't be happening in normal play, because it's a performance resource that is completely wasted if used constantly. That is not a downgrade, that's intelligent application of resources when they make sense.
They were never going to get close to what they had in the reveal, in actual gameplay, at 60fps. The gameplay they were showing off today looks about as would be expected. Solid 30fps with some really good character models and foilage that is individually rendered and displaced as you move through it. Game looks great and the evolution you would expect for the series but lets be real here, if you expected that reveal and 60fps you were setting yourself up for massive disappointment.
In no way am I disappointed, so I don't know what you're referring to. I was just addressing why someone would be disappointed at the game not being 60fps, I didn't even say I was disappointed by it.

Wow, what an awesome demo. A battle arena with swinging, 360 degree combat, stealth and everything. If that were an action movie, I would have been floored. And to think that the fight could play out in infinite ways using the tools they've given you. Like with TLOU, the gunfight itself is a set piece. Great work.

I'm officially hyped.

Contrast this with that Zelda demo, where horse riding and a map screen were spotlighted...

Mohonky

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but tell something similar to Watch Dogs and Souls 2 threads after they didn't deliver. See how that goes. ;) Heh

This is an Alpha though, plenty of time.

Oh I always keep my expectations in check. I never followed Watch Dogs or Souls 2 though so I dont know what level of optimism was given to those games.

So i am not allowed to give my opinion?

Oh wait, ND circle jerk in process, nvm.
i dont have a ps4 yet, anyone who thout a console game could look as good as the reveal and run at 60fps is just kidding themselves. didnt they say the CG trailer was running at 60 fps? im kinda confused how people translated that into the full game running at 60. atleast admit the level design is impressive.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Wasn't able to get any sound on your upload. Any ideas?

Yeah, sorry that was my mistake. I'm uploading a fixed version now and I changed the file name to warn that there isn't any audio, so hopefully no one else will download it in the meantime. I'll edit my post too, just so everyone knows.

Again, sorry guys. I know it's a huge file to download, especially twice.

Kuro

Someone should post the old neogaf thread of the original Uncharted gameplay reveal and then the thread for the full game release. I remember people shitting on the original gameplay graphics and calling downgrade and then the final product looked even better.

Someone should post the old neogaf thread of the original Uncharted gameplay reveal and then the thread for the full game release. I remember people shitting on the original gameplay graphics and calling downgrade and then the final product looked even better.

ahem...I may or may not have like over 100 bookmarks from that thread...

FATALITY

Banned
Oh look, personal attacks, though im the fanboy allright.

Animation1.gif

The more I watch, the more impressed I get by the openness of the game area, the animations, the foliage and the maniacal attention to detail. I am pretty certain that ND will have one of their set-pieces shown at the next E3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The demo felt like it was Uncharted 1 (samey setting to the first few chapters of that game) with nothing new to structure and formula we already got from Uncharted in the past (Drake walk while talking to himself , climb stuff then shoot guys for 5 mins) They don't try to do anything new here at all. I'm not sure why, maybe because this was based on what U3 team original did and the other team don't have the time to undo that or add new ideas because they need to release it in 2015 but yeah.

with no changes this might be another AC Unity situation where critic destroy it because lack of new gameplay or ideas.for me it's just sad see ND taking step backward after all the new stuff they did with TLoU.

Also the graphics were pretty average. with awful water effect and bad animations. it looked like an upscaled PS3 game with no "next gen graphics feel and effect" but I guess ND will improve the graphics before the release.

This trailer was simply breathtaking to behold.

Everything was perfect.

The mood was set in such a palpable way, the environments were so luscious, the animations were inimitable, the action was utterly thrilling.

The whole trailer was simply enrapturing from start to finish.

My favorite moment? When Drake used that hook line thing to swing into that enemy sentry and knock him down. So astonishing.

There were so many amazing little touches, like that part where Drake gets pushed by the enemy into the miniature waterfall and the water cascades off of him and drenches him in the process. Its only for a brief second, but you can see how incredible it is.

Myansie

What's so friggin hard to understand about the fact that was a close up of drake in a super small environment against an ENTIRE JUNGLE with dynamic gameplay.

I've been saying that since the E3 guys... Don't you think there is a certain logic in having different level of details regarding the context ? The fact that people are still talking about downgrade over that fucking close up where you saw a fucking FLY near the nose of Drake.. That was microscopic shit! Why would you want them to have that level od detail in game, why ? That doesn't make any fucking sense!

Also guys uploading contrasted vids, you're making it way too much... Look at how i did it on my screens, there is a middle ground lol.

Yep, an amazing amount of detail and 60 fps. Your agreeing with me there's a big drop in quality and it's down to 30fps. I'm genuinely surprised they can't match the E3 clip in game at 30fps.

In hindsight, I expected a drop. The level of detail we've seen, but at 60fps. Not 30fps.

If it is at 60, then colour me impressed.

Kuro

The demo felt like it was Uncharted 1 (samey setting to the first few chapters of that game) with nothing new to structure and formula we already got from Uncharted in the past (Drake walk while talking to himself , climb stuff then shoot guys for 5 mins) They don't try to do anything new here at all. I'm not sure why, maybe because this was based on what U3 team original did and the other team don't have the time to undo that or add new ideas because they need to release it in 2015 but yeah.

with no changes this might be another AC Unity situation where critic destroy it because lack of new gameplay or ideas.for me it's just sad see ND taking step backward after all the new stuff they did with TLoU.

Also the graphics were pretty average. with awful water effect and bad animations. it looked like an upscaled PS3 game with no "next gen graphics feel and effect" but I guess ND will improve the graphics before the release.

I can't believe I'm reading this right now. Bookmarked for when the game launches next year.

delta25

Banned
i dont have a ps4 yet, anyone who thout a console game could look as good as the reveal and run at 60fps is just kidding themselves. didnt they say the CG trailer was running at 60 fps? im kinda confused how people translated that into the full game running at 60. atleast admit the level design is impressive.
I think there's been enough comparisons showing that the current build looks pretty darn close to the reveal trailer. And the whole 60 fps thing was meant to be taken as a design target, I have no doubt in my mind the final build will probably come close.

Honestly I would've preferred a sister, but does anyone know if there was even a hint of it in the past games? It's kinda like a soap opera with a random sibling popping out of nowhere.

Hurley

It's not that confusing since ND said they were aiming for 60/1080p.

Will it reach it? No idea but they said it was their target.

Honestly I would've preferred a sister, but does anyone know if there was even a hint of it in the past games? It's kinda like a soap opera with a random sibling popping out of nowhere.

Drake's Anatomy!

Edit: Has Sully ever mentioned if he had kids of his own, I can't recall?

Persona7

Banned

What Uncharted 3 team are you talking about? I compared the credits between uncharted 2 and 3 a while back and it was 95% or more the same naughty dog names.

ib3coPFfxjkv9.gif

Some of you guys are just too funny.

The brother is obviously going to betray him, and then sacrifice himself at some point to redeem himself, and because his betrayal will be due to some treasure, his demise will be A Thief's End.

hqdefault.jpg

And then people will proceed to jack Druckmann off some more.

That was the guy who left, IIRC. I don't think it was Troy Baker in the launch trailer.

I think that actor and character was completely cut from the game after Amy Hennig left.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/21/star-wars-co-writer-todd-stashwick-recast-in-uncharted-ps4

Oh right, Todd Stashwick.

Also, what the hell? That first trailer set up such an intriguing conflict and possible villain, it'd be so irritating if they completely jetisoned that. Has anyone asked?

Persona7

Banned

Also, what the hell? That first trailer set up such an intriguing conflict and possible villain, it'd be so irritating if they completely jetisoned that. Has anyone asked?

Apparently they tossed six months of work with that actor so I am assuming he was a major character and they had to rework everything.

For better or for worse, this is Druckmann's train now. Dude has an iron fist, if that "Grounded" making of from TLoU is right.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

If you didnt see any new gameplay here then you either have never played uncharted or didnt watch the video.

Bad animations?

This is naughty dog, you really think their wont be any new settings.

troll account much?

Apparently they tossed six months of work with that actor so I am assuming he was a major character and they had to rework everything.

Todd's character was recast.

It's probably Troy that got the role.

Did Todd leave with Amy?

If they recast with Troy Baker but they've kept that conflict, I'm still interested. If they reworked six months of stuff and completely redid the script... I'm still in, but I'm curious as to what the original stuff would have been.

Wait I thought Drake was an orphan? I wonder how they met. If they don't have any emotional attachment I can see the brother betraying him.

KorrZ

These kinds of posts are just.....yeah.

StuBurns

Banned
The question as to how much of this game represents Hennig/Richmond's vision versus Druckley's is going to plague me for years I suspect.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Here is a much higher quality version of my fixed RGB levels video.

For those just joining us, several of us have noticed that both the official YouTube and Gamersyde videos have been rendered incorrectly, using limited RGB range, instead of full RGB range.

When viewed on a display that uses full RGB range (such as a computer monitor), this causes the image to appear "washed out". You are not seeing the correct colours because the video is rendered incorrectly for your dispaly.

Because both the lower and upper ranges of colour values are limited, this results in a reduction in contrast level. This is most obvious when looking at the Naughty Dog logo at the start of the video - the black background is a very dark grey instead of black.

I used the Sony Vegas Levels plugin to correct the RGB levels (it has a preset for this exact thing).

Download - 817mb - 5:40

Comparison screenshots - limited RGB on left - full RGB on right
Thats awesome thanks. Much better. Do you think it would be possible to torrent this video of yours?

Cuyejo

Please don't mention that abomination of a series when talking about Uncharted please, it makes me nauseous.

I hope you are not serious :\

Top Bottom