• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

twdnewh_k

Thats fair enough but to not see how anyone can come away impressed by that seems pretty closed minded. It may have not lived up to your expectations but that doesnt change the fact that the game IS technically impressive.

That was in response to those who were attacking my impressions because they did not match theirs.

Again, it might be technically for you, but not for me.

Impressions:

1- The Good:
-I love the bigger environment, all uncharted games had really small playgrounds.
-I see huge improvements in stealth gameplay, playing stealth-ly in previous games were a chore.
-Gorgeous, everything looks great and above all it feels natural. this is extremely hard to achieve.

2- The Bad:
- It does not in any shape or form match the first trailer, they were either using some bullshit CGI or this is an extremely rough version of the final game.
- It borrowed a lot from other recent games, the climbing(TB) and the bush hiding(AC4) without making their own twist? I don't know, but it felt as i was watching another game.
- Where is our 60 FPS? i would forget about the obvious difference in graphics if they could meet their target.

Putty

Having just seen the 1886 footage, I think it tops this, however that is of course 2 month from release. In 12 month I fully expect an extra layer of polish that takes this to the very top of the pile.

I hope they figure out some other game mechanic other than climbing and shooting while looking fucking amazing. Sneak eater bush sneaking is not going to cut it.

Putty

how many times do i have to tell you this is pre-alpha wip footage?

why would they? are you kidding me? they are the opener to the psx, that's why they were up there showcasing that "disappointing" footage. people came to see a show, they put together one.

they didn't release a "30 fps version", they release a working gameplay demo of the game which showcases new traversal and shooting mechanics, melee, level design, etc.

people are so fixated with the numbers/graphics bullshit that everything naughty dog showed today flew way over everyone's heads. do you seriously think nd is so concerned about showing off a non-60 fps demo over showing off the improvements they have done with stealth, physics, animations, ai, sound effects, etc.?

Great post.

I don't see how people are saying the Order looks more impressive. The visuals take place in smaller, more scripted landscapes, so point to point it looks more evocative, but visuals on display here are just as impressive, and the scope is bigger. It is just as clean and runs at a higher res. I would definitely give U4 the edge.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, color me surprised because other games that run with 60fps often do so already in their stage demos.
And games that are shown at 30 a year before release don't launch at 60 as a rule either. In fact, I can't think of a single instance of this happening.

However, considering the performance here, I think it's clear that unlocked the game would be all over the place, they have a lot of headroom during a lot of this. There's even reason to believe they're still targeting 60 from some of the details in the video. For example, the alphas from the smoke cloud after the grenade are really crap looking. Heavy alphas are problematic for drawing the frame, something they'd need to be extremely concerned about while targeting 60.

It's an unusual case, but until someone gets a Dog to confirm they're no longer targeting 60, I'm going to presume they are.

Anteater

Just watched it. The video is really good, the play area is big and the level design and AI seem pretty decent as well, I like the new platforming elements like rope swinging which would mean better platforming sections and combat scenarios, pretty optimistic that I'd like this as much as UC2 if the rest of the game is similar (and possibly better with more interesting scenarios).

I love that the whole video is just combat/platforming/gameplay and not the usual cinematics, I think they did that with the last of us too with showing just a lengthy demo pretty early on instead of hiding the gameplay for last, so good job.

This will look pretty awesome if they can push it to 60fps, but it's usually something I'd expect to be 30 considering the size of the level.

Edit: The level design seems similar to those bigger and more open areas from UC2 (like the trainwreck site), that has some good use of vertical space, looks good and fun to play, hope the rest of the game will be as good!

Stealth elements seem improved as well and it looks like it's a step up in most aspects

And games that are shown at 30 a year before release don't launch at 60 as a rule either. In fact, I can't think of a single instance of this happening.

However, considering the performance here, I think it's clear that unlocked the game would be all over the place, they have a lot of headroom during a lot of this. There's even reason to believe they're still targeting 60 from some of the details in the video. For example, the alphas from the smoke cloud after the grenade are really crap looking. Heavy alphas are problematic for drawing the frame, something they'd need to be extremely concerned about while targeting 60.

It's an unusual case, but until someone gets a Dog to confirm they're no longer targeting 60, I'm going to presume they are.

well, asscreed unity was supposedly running at 9 fps weeks before release, and they got it to 20 fps so they doubled the framerate...

all kidding aside, gow3 e3 demo to gold master is probably that one exception. e3 demo ran around 30 fps, gold master was with better effects, better iq, better everything and it ran at 40-45 fps.

Mully

It was a great gameplay video.

Not much more I can say than that. A lot of what was a part of The Last of Us appeared in this video and I'm happy it did. It seamlessly incorporated platforming, stealth, gunplay, and an indication there would be contextual resource gathering.

UC4 looks promising although I'm more interested in the story rather than the visuals at this point.

That was in response to those who were attacking my impressions because they did not match theirs.

Again, it might be technically for you, but not for me.
May I just suggest to maybe lower your expectations from a technical stand point towards the PS4 to avoid a generation of disappointment.
I only say that because if you dont think that UC4 or The Order are impressive from a technical perspective then any chance of you being impressed this generation (on the ps4 anyway) might be a lost cause.

ND and RAD are wizards with the visuals. Nobody is going to top them.

ShamePain

Banned
P6PHrbQ.jpg

I think the hair looked much better on lastgen Drake than on currentgen. Like in this screen it has a realistic shape and shine. Ps4 Drake just looks like a bunch of textures on his head and a very flat look of it all.

Game4life

Banned

why would they? are you kidding me? they are the opener to the psx, that's why they were up there showcasing that "disappointing" footage. people came to see a show, they put together one.

they didn't release a "30 fps version", they release a working gameplay demo of the game which showcases new traversal and shooting mechanics, melee, level design, etc.

people are so fixated with the numbers/graphics bullshit that everything naughty dog showed today flew way over everyone's heads. do you seriously think nd is so concerned about showing off a non-60 fps demo over showing off the improvements they have done with stealth, physics, animations, ai, sound effects, etc.?

Finally the talk is veering towards the excellent gameplay instead of the graphics.

well, asscreed unity was supposedly running at 9 fps weeks before release, and they got it to 20 fps so they doubled the framerate...

all kidding aside, gow3 e3 demo to gold master is probably that one exception. e3 demo ran around 30 fps, gold master was with better effects, better iq, better everything and it ran at 40-45 fps.

I'm assuming the finished product at 60 will have to cut a couple more corners to get there. Not downgradeton level, and nobody will really care because the "big stuff" (like Drake's face or vegetation) will still look great.

Still maintaining my prediction that The Order will be pushing better looking frames on average.

Sotha_Sil

Just saw the video from gamersyde. I've never been a fan of the series, but that was obviously better from a gameplay perspective than previous entries (even if there are some fundamental issues that would make it difficult for me to enjoy). I'm at least a little interested in the game now.

I cannot understand why some people are disappointed with the graphics. I thought it looked wonderful.

L4nnist3r

No, I'm actually enjoying it. But if you can offer something a little bit more informative and constructive then that would be great.

Really? Get out of here ;P

Just having fun don't take it to seriously, it's video games after all. Game looks good just not as good as ND said it would, just calling it as I see it and that is just my opinion. Of course not everyone will agree, if you think the game looks great I respect that, opinions are opinions nothing more.

Kinyou

Well, simply said, if I were setting the expectations for 60fps I wouldn't want to show off my game before it also hits that mark. I guess unlike you I just don't have that confidence that they can just bump it up from 30 to 60 within a year. Mostly because I haven't seen that happen before.

P6PHrbQ.jpg

I think the hair looked much better on lastgen Drake than on currentgen. Like in this screen it has a realistic shape and shine. Ps4 Drake just looks like a bunch of textures on his head and a very flat look of it all.
To be fair, that UC3 screen is taken from a finished product.

Somewhere out there must be a game which is so damn impressive (graphically) that people who have seen / played it now think Uncharted 4 is not impressive.

Well, I have not seen that game (I saw The Order, though) and I think, that Uncharted 4 looks awesome while hiding in the superb animated fauna adds an additional gameplay feature. And the fighting choreographies are as well on a whole new level.

Face it ladies and trolls, Uncharted 4 is as good as the current gen consoles will get including every launch titel of at least 2016. The earlier you make peace with that, the earlier you can stop posting your dissappointment.

Reg

Banned
Really? Get out of here ;P

Just having fun don't take it to seriously, it's video games after all. Game looks good just not as good as ND said it would, just calling it as I see it and that is just my opinion. Of course not everyone will agree, if you think the game looks great I respect that, opinions are opinions nothing more.

zPLQhrh.gif

StuBurns

Banned
I'm assuming the finished product at 60 will have to cut a couple more corners to get there. Not downgradeton level, and nobody will really care because the "big stuff" (like Drake's face or vegetation) will still look great.

Still maintaining my prediction that The Order will be pushing better looking frames on average.
I'm just not seeing what's so impressive about The Order.

Here's a direct-feed of the area from today's showing:

order_1337224b.png

Take a normal game, keep pressing blur until all detail is lost, and boom, The Order-look.

Jonm1010

Banned
Any word on a possible completely uncompressed or lighting corrected version of the trailer?

You would think naughty dog or Sony would have that ready and out there pretty quickly for marketing reasons.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It might - in some ways. I doubt Order will have such impressive interactive open spaces. It also runs at lower resolution. I've been switching between the latest footage of the two to see which one seems more impressive to me. They both look amazing.

Take a normal game, keep pressing blur until all detail is lost, and boom, The Order-look.
But that's not what The Order is doing. Fine detail is all still there because they are not blurring - they are doing 4xmsaa, which is really an edge supersampling.

Keihart

But i love the smoke from the bullet impacts :C , why does it look soo cool?, are they low quality in the sense that they are not volumetric? i wouldnt be so sure about that tho...

Ding-Ding

After Uncharted 3 & TLOU, I really thought I had moved on from this franchise. This stage demo has managed to spike my interest in this game again.

Looked great and what looks like the more expansive levels certainly seems to help with the gameplay, if for no other reason Drake could go back into stealth without finishing the previous gunfight

It might - in some ways. I doubt Order will have such impressive interactive open spaces. It also runs at lower resolution. I've been switching between the latest footage of the two to see which one seems more impressive to me. They both look amazing.

Yeah, I can't really see how someone can say one smokes the other. I do think the bigger environments in U4 edge it however.

Finally the talk is veering towards the excellent gameplay instead of the graphics.

don't count on it.

i'm honestly lttp on this thread because i am also excited for the order and until dawn and i thought uncharted would just get a lot of praises anyway...ahaha was i wrong. i guess this is the downside of selling 14 million units is that we also get more of the bad in addition to the good apples.

i mean, a 60 vs 30, one pushing twice the date on screen for every moment...it would be weird to have the 60 looking better.

personally i think the games are too different to make direct comparisons. order will have a lot of sharp textures on smaller things, while uncharted will boast grander vistas.

if i were to predict i think that would most likely be the final look of the game barring special effects like particle,etc., except that gold master will be at 60.

remember we are only in year 2 when this thing will arrive, although i predict the "leap" won't be as big because ps4 is easier to develop for.

Rand6

Somewhere out there must be a game which is so damn impressive (graphically) that people who have seen / played it now think Uncharted 4 is not impressive.

This.
Please someone, show me a better looking game, with open level and animation as good as what I've seen in Uncharted 4.

Smokey

A little more impressed with the graphics now that I've seen the Gamersdye stream. It's definitely not a solid 30 fps though. It takes a noticeable dip when Drake gets to the top of the ridge and the camera pans around. I don't have a ton of faith that it'll hit 60fps.

Aces&Eights

It is not relative to anything. I don't know why so many of you cannot accept this. I watched the demo like all of you and simply came away disappointed. I do not need to give you a detailed report on what and why. I simply expected something better. That's all there is to it.

I can relate to what you are saying. I don't think the universe is that impressive, nor do I think it is that big. There is zero left in the 3 dimensions to use as reference so I won't but nonetheless, the universe as a whole is small and unimpressive because I said so.

camac002

Well, simply said, if I were setting the expectations for 60fps I wouldn't want to show off my game before it also hits that mark. I guess unlike you I just don't have that confidence that they can just bump it up from 30 to 60 within a year. Mostly because I haven't seen that happen before.

AW e3 analysis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itNFYTmXTw8#t=227

Same analysis at release is solid 60.(right link) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLr0vcoFLk#t=28

This is what I think as well, for the same reasons, until I'm told otherwise.

I actually feel sorry for some of you. This looks amazing to me. Some of you are so hard to impress. After watching that video i can't wait for this game.

Sorc3r3r

I think that the game will look insanely good when will be released, seems foolish and naive to me doubting ND ability to push on the gfx side of the thing.
If a year before the release they are achieving these results....

But, what struck me was the fire fight, was "seamless'' i can't find another word to describe my impression while watching it,
and looked very fun to play.

Top Bottom