• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

J-Rzez

Looks great already and will only look better from here. Can't wait to see and play the final product. Probably going on a media blackout though outside of maybe seeing some new screenshots as we move along.

Posting for the new page. I have cropped this close up of Drake.

wiwwkz.gif

Hair and clothes are reacting to the wind here.

Is it still looking like PS3 level to some guys? SMH.

can we actually talk about gameplay now after all this drama?

first off, even the solid rock covers get chipped away when shot at.

hopefully they can soften the clue/hint edges. it catches the eye but it catches it too soon.

melee looks to be more interactive and cinematic, don't know how complex it is going to be, though.

shooting sideways from a ledge, i don't know if that was in previous ones. i know in uncharted 3 you can aim upwards as you're climbing.

combination of traversal and melee was great. that indiana jones moment with the lasso was good, same thing with the slide and melee finish.

plants as cover for stealth feels organic, especially if the plants aren't 2d cutouts. helps with immersion and it being believable.

level design makes for great strategy and dynamic action.

traversal still needs work and improvement. i don't know how, but the first 2-3 minutes of pure traversal was kinda ehhh for me. would love more platforming instead of traversal.

reKon

Banned
Still very surprised that some of you can't see the gameplay jump here. Shit looks so refined and the animations are pretty much already perfect. I feel like I'm going to love melee encounters in this since they've learned and improved all the contextually mechanics from UC3 and TLoU. There's just so much detail that makes everything that much better than you're average TPS. When Drake is fighting that bald guy, the entire sequence was awesome. He punches the dude and either a bunch of spit or water comes flying out of his mouth. I hope ND makes a ton of melee animations and make all the contextual crap work.

pLow7

Really Guys ? This was AMAZING, that Game look beautifull and you still have something to say. Can't believe this. And it's their first Game this Generation, i mean only God knows what they can achieve.

See the differences last Gen:

Uncharted 1

Uncharted 3

Elfstruck

Wasn't thoroughly impressed. Was expected to be blown away. I can't believe they tried to pass that E3 trailer off as a representation of how the game will look. I had always been skeptical about that, but I thought I would see something that look notably better than anything else on PS4. It's certainly looks good, and the cutscenes are stunning, as usual, but during gameplay, nothing** strikes me as a significant leap above what we've seen so far this gen, or even the previous gen for that matter.

** As a whole, I mean. One individual aspect that's pretty impressive is how dynamic the foliage is. Most games these days render nice foliage, but very few do it dynamically.

maybe you should check the uncompressed version and see how its compared to E3 version.

All the little animation touches added so much to the atmosphere.

And yeah, the combat looks leaps ahead of last-gen. Grappling hook is wicked, as is finally being able to break line of sight and jump back into stealth mode, new kills, it's all good.

EGM1966

If this is pre alpha then it's looking terrific. Not just visuals with many great little details but gameplay mechanics too already look very stable.

I see an evolution from U2/3 of the gameplay as well as elements from TLOU too. Looks like it could be set to raise the existing bar set by U2 for action adventure where various combat and traversal mechanics blend seamlessly and standard action blends with set pieces.

Interesting to know, thanks! Makes sense really :p The possibility of something like that going wrong must be one of the most nerve-racking things about doing a live demo. But like they said in the first link, at least it shows that it's live and not just video!

Broly

Banned
The difference netween PS3 UC and PS4 UC is, imo, comparable to Crysis PC on Low vs. Ultra DX10. The difference is really big.

Not to forget UC4 runs at 1080p/60 (target), which was 720p/30 on PS3. That alone limits the recources a 720p/30fps version might have.

UC4 looks great. My only complaint so far are the animations. They are so fluid that I lose sense might lose sense of control, like Prince of Persia 2008 for wxample. Have to play it first obviously :)

Keihart

The bald guy that drake fist fights right after being caught was holding a mosquito repelent spray , i bet you can shoot at it to make it explode. It was super bright yellow and orange , like asking for your atention.

AuRoN89

Banned
do you see the drake model at the start?? it's the same damn model of the E3 presentation. nothing more, nothing less. of course tyou can't notice that while the camera is zommed out and you are playing...

tahsutify

The animations are just unbelievable. It adds so much to the immersion. There is no game close to the what Naughty Dogs does in their games. They were already very good at this but It is close to perfection at this point.

The game looks gorgeous. The attention to detail is amazing. The gameplay is improved significantly. It is Uncharted allright but improved in every way possible.

Most people wanted to see huge set-pieces and that is why they were disappointed, but I think they are for E3 etc.

Also as someone already said this place would be great for a multiplayer map.

Interesting to know, thanks! Makes sense really :p The possibility of something like that going wrong must be one of the most nerve-racking things about doing a live demo. But like they said in the first link, at least it shows that it's live and not just video!

You are welcome :)

Download the full 1080p video here. You will see it maintains the same level of graphics from the teaser trailer from e3.

https://mega.co.nz/#!chNjgABD!ht0ZmUnDXVA08e9sFkLfq0UKoW0r3CRoLHm0lVUnQSg

This is only 1 GB even less than gamersyde version. I thought the original press one is around 1.7 GB. From where did you get this?

Posting for the new page. I have cropped this close up of Drake.

wiwwkz.gif

Hair and clothes are reacting to the wind here.

Is it still looking like PS3 level to some guys? SMH.

Dude, the only people underwhelmed by this are trolls and people expecting CG film quality graphics which was never going to happen.

This destroys PS3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This thread highlights an issue I'm having lately with GAF - any threads filled with GIFs now run like crap on all of my PCs. Scrolling is slow and I see checker board patterns when scrolling quickly. That doesn't make sense and it's happening across all of my systems making it especially strange. :\

Toparaman

Banned
This doesn't look like a must-play the way Uncharted 2 did. I guess diehard fans of the series will enjoy it though. Personally I need something a bit more than what past games have offered.

This thread highlights an issue I'm having lately with GAF - any threads filled with GIFs now run like crap on all of my PCs. Scrolling is slow and I see checker board patterns when scrolling quickly. That doesn't make sense and it's happening across all of my systems making it especially strange. :\

Same here, and I think other Gaffers are experiencing it too.

This doesn't look like a must-play the way Uncharted 2 did. I guess diehard fans of the series will enjoy it though. Personally I need something a bit more than what past games have offered.

This looks like it plays differently from past games though. At least the multiple levels, fast traversal techniques and open areas, make more possibilities. What else were you expecting out of this series? This is just one area, it is going to be globe trotting.

-SD-

Banned
This thread highlights an issue I'm having lately with GAF - any threads filled with GIFs now run like crap on all of my PCs.
No issues here with Firefox 34.0 and this ancient PC I have:

Win7 64-bit + Intel E6600 2.4GHZ dual-core + 4GB 800MHz DDR2 + GeForce 750Ti + SATA2 Intel SSD

It's not just you. I've been having the same exact issue lately, too.

Hurley

Yeah what is with that? And it makes replying so hard too, laggy as fuck

imae

I'm getting the same issue... in Chrome, in IE it's fine.

-SD-

Banned
Oh, it's a Google Chrome issue. Just tried and saw the checkerboard patterns when scrolling. Yet another reason to stick with Firefox.

Seems platforming is a lot more interesting and hopefully more of a focus this time around.
No issues here with Firefox 34.0 and this ancient PC I have:

Win7 64-bit + Intel E6600 2.4GHZ dual-core + 4GB 800MHz DDR2 + GeForce 750Ti + SATA2 Intel SSD
It's a Chrome issue. No problems with firefox but with chrome it's terrible.

Superflat

Yeah that is with that? And it makes replying so hard too, laggy as fuck

I don't get the checkerboard effect but it lags like a mother.

It's been especially bad with this thread for me so I just stop the loading and it helps sometimes lol. Even typing this post is a nightmare unless I force stop the page load.

It's a Chrome issue. No problems with firefox but with chrome it's terrible.

Ugh. Firefox eats up way more memory quickly and causes slowdown for my computer. I went to Chrome to get away from this shit >:U

Harlock

Same here, with Chrome.

It is time to neogaf put youtube embed support. They don´t wanna a topic full of videos, but this animated gifs are worse.

I love the attention to detail on the foliage and vegetation, looks really good. Verticality gameplay looked fantastic as well. I'm sure this will look amazing on release on my 55" LED.

Huggers

I was ever so slightly underwhelmed by it. Graphically I thought it was pretty stunning but I dunno, the gameplay was a little underwhelming. 'Oh that rock has slipped I'm climbing on' etc. I finished the first 3 and platinumed the first 2 so maybe I'm a little burned out with the series. I certainly still pick it up though.

All the little animation touches added so much to the atmosphere.

And yeah, the combat looks leaps ahead of last-gen. Grappling hook is wicked, as is finally being able to break line of sight and jump back into stealth mode, new kills, it's all good.

I don't see what is so great about the combat? When a normal player will play through that section it will look much more like every cover shooter out there. For the demo purposes the guy in control seemed to know exactly where and when to move forward and around his enemies in a cinematic fashion. How quickly he moved forward is usually a sure way to get surrounded by enemies.

Some Nobody

Agreed.

Sure, it's not as 'wow' as Uncharted 2 at first glance, but after a few seconds, it sinked in that this wasn't a set-piece moment. It was just one combat encounter.

I think this is what blew me away. It really seemed like there were a ton of potential options in the way you could go about things. I'm sure the game will have its share of "chest high walls" or whatever, but this really seemed like it encouraged you to fight on the move and think tactically.

Some Nobody

I don't see what is so great about the combat? When a normal player will play through that section it will look much more like every cover shooter out there. For the demo purposes the guy in control seemed to know exactly where and when to move forward and around his enemies in a cinematic fashion. How quickly he moved forward is usually a sure way to get surrounded by enemies.

lol, then get better at the game? Srsly though, most "normal" players aren't going to complain like this, so we're talking about the core gamers who should've been going nuts at the amount of options available.

Same here. Even quoting you and typing this reply is laggy as fuck. But as soon as all of the GIFs load it goes back to normal, but it takes ages.

Same here, with Chrome.

It is time to neogaf put youtube embed support. They don´t wanna a topic full of videos, but this animated gifs are worse.

Use this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ytma/ijioppmkelhobdlpbcgojamecmailcnh

Top Bottom