• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 PSX Panel: Drake Has 800 Facial Combination, Hair Has True Physics - More

adelante

It does look like alpha blended planes, I am curious what they are using.

And btw, wait for everyone to hate on your second giff. It looking good threatens them somehow.

Too late. Heh

Anyway, them claiming Drake having much facial combination further reaffirms my assumption that they're sticking to key framing instead of facial capture (see Infamous SS, Ryse, Halo 4, and if I'm not mistaken, Order 1886). Would've preferred the later as it's easy to see for me to see the drawbacks of the method used by ND (having preset facial animations morph into each other. Granted, they have 800 preset animations now), especially since they already have character models of such high fidelity

Too late. Heh

Anyway, them claiming Drake having much facial combination further reaffirms my assumption that they're sticking to key framing instead of facial capture (see Infamous SS, Ryse, Halo 4, and if I'm not mistaken, Order 1886). Would've preferred the later as it's easy to see for me to see the drawbacks of the method used by ND, especially since they already have character models of such high fidelity
Isn't TLoU's facial animation done by hand? Because that stuff is insanely good.

Nestunt

people just react to much to this stuff

then dont complain in one year or more if things are different (when there has been some downgrade to benefit the overall experience of the game - memory limits everything)

no one should preorder games with so much time in advance with risk of things changing. Or do, but know your reasons and dont be naive

thats the way we teach publishers how to stop false advertising

b0bbyJ03

I think everyone should download the 2.1gb direct feed video from gamersyde before talking about the graphics of the demo. I thought it looked really good when I was watching the streaming, but only when I watched it in good quality I realize the level of detail that they are putting into this game, it really is an amazing work by ND.

Also, you can see his hair getting wet in the close combat part of the gameplay, it's looking good.

How about people just stop looking for shit to hate and, u know, like, enjoy games.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
And this is what i expect when I see "every single hair moves" and " true hair physics":

ibgb8aLgq2MXXA.gif

I just went into the bathroom and blowdried my hair. Apparently I don't have true hair physics :(

adelante

Isn't TLoU's facial animation done by hand? Because that stuff is insanely good.

Yep, it is. All the more impressive and testament to their talent, considering it's done that way (by hand, key framing. That, or computer generated thru audio and cleaning up with key framing). I just feel it would much better if it was done with a facial capture setup. Certain facial movements just feel fake, like the inertia of raising and dropping of Sam's eyebrows, lower lip for instance.

Joeki11a

Banned
This game has a full year of dev time still
Also that demo was probably old ass code to
by E3 it will blow this away

How about the fact its the first Uncharted?
remember how quality jumped from UC1 to
UC3?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I do this in about 50% of threads related to tech talk, graphical fidelity and framerate. I do not care for Sony or any other manufacturer. I'm solely playing on PC as well right now, but my roots are on console and I love Uncharted.

You might want to try a less snidey approach.

martino

Nothing about cloth physic ?
I didn't spot any in the demo gameplay and imo would a nice add (more noticeable than short hair physic most of the time)

pottuvoi

Banned
Chest hair physics is the new boob physics.
Perhaps they will combine them in the final form.
I didn't spot any in the demo gameplay and imo would a nice add (more noticeable than short hair physic most of the time)
In the beginning of the demo you can see wind rippling the shirt.. might not be true physics, but it's better than what they had before.

To everyone saying that the game won't evolve in the future lol: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Didn’t Look Like the PlayStation Experience Demo Just Three Weeks Ago:
http://goo.gl/ad9xZh

2 days ago I was talking about how UT4 is still using the old UE3 UT3 weapons models in the pre-alpha. Yesterday's update just brought some of the new weapons using the PBR materials (and shields are using it now too) and the novelties featured in 4.6 update like the emissive textures and we are still in the pre-alpha.

pLow7

Seriously this is a crazy Time we live, discussing Hair movement ( Also Chest-Hair )... I mean, it's nice and fancy looking, but do we really need it ? they're probably spending a lot of their ressources on this.

foxbeldin

And this is what i expect when I see "every single hair moves" and " true hair physics":

ibgb8aLgq2MXXA.gif

I need to know what shampoo i need to use to have such soft hair. Seriously though, it looks amazing. It's probably just set up like that for the demonstration purpose.
I hope we'll get hair like that on PS5.

the cloth did moved by the wind in the close up intro of Drake's face. it's subtle, but well, it's a t-shirt and jeans. it's not like Drake wear long coat or cape to show off cloth physics.

Drake's accessories did move beautifully though, like his grappling hook fastened at his waist, assault rifle holster

the cloth did moved by the wind in the close up intro of Drake's face. it's subtle, but well, it's a t-shirt and jeans. it's not like Drake wear long coat or cape to show off cloth physics.

Drake's accessories did move beautifully though, like his grappling hook fastened at his waist, assault rifle holster

Darke's shirt moved in that in teh close up intro and you can spot that too when he teh camera is close in some gameplay parts. Sam shirt moves too and so deos his jacket. You can check that. The movements are very subtile though and accurate and aren't so floppy like a cape physics for example since it would be wrong exaggerating that.

Darke's shirt moved in that in teh close up intro and you can spot that too when he teh camera is close in some gameplay parts. Sam shirt moves too and so deos his jacket. You can check that. The movements are very subtile though and accuarte and aren't so floppy like a cape physics for example.

I just saw the video again and look at his grappling hook at his waist, man, is it just me, or does the physics there is really good. seems like no clipping at all and it move appropriately during jumps and everything. I'll try to make a gif out of them later.

Ambient80

See I'll be honest and I know I'm in the minority, but I liked the visuals on everything BUT the characters in TLoU. They looked, I dunno, I want to say grainy but I know that'll be misconstrued. They just looked really weird to me. Like they were trying really hard to be as realistic as possible to the point that it looked bizarre. I dunno, just my opinion.

Presented in amazing 30 FPS

Clearly. I don't get how devs are making their priorities.

Chest hair have their own physics lol
At least, if they don't manage to achieve 60 fps we'll all know why. Because chest hair si so fucking important guys !!!

Just make a good game and then add everything you can / want.

Yeah it's impressive for sure but I'd rather have less impressive graphics but having other improvements which are actually affecting gameplay.

I just saw the video again and look at his grappling hook at his waist, man, is it just me, or does the physics there is really good. seems like no clipping at all and it move appropriately during jumps and everything. I'll try to make a gif out of them later.

Yep, you are so right I mentioned that in the otehr thread. the rope attached to his waist moves very realistically and the ring attached to the grappling hook jiggle whenever he uses it and he chnages the hand holding it according to the climbing position and situation. The grappling hook leaves a hole mark when he plnats it on the rock and when he almost fell, using the hook to hang on in emergency left a long scar on the rock. Such details just distinguish the game and ND.

I read somewhere that demo is locked to 30fps with no framedrop at all. locked 30fps with still 1 year left in development where usually optimization is done at the end seems to suggest that their current build are well above 30fps right now. maybe they're still targeting 60fps, just locking it to 30fps for the demo.

Top Bottom