• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 PSX Panel: Drake Has 800 Facial Combination, Hair Has True Physics - More

3xpdoAO.gif

In addition to the rope physics you can see his hair flopping around too!

It's physics demonstration, i'm sure it's easy to add rigidity to the hair strands if needed.
Y'all being intentionally dense.

So why show a exaggerating example?
Of course it's more "impressive", it's also unrealistic. Being a male, my side hair hardly moves even at its longer states. My top hair flops shifting side to side... Doesn't move like grass in a beautiful windy meadow in the Netherlands.

If they say every hair moves then they probably do, doesn't mean they will at any scene.

the cloth did moved by the wind in the close up intro of Drake's face. it's subtle, but well, it's a t-shirt and jeans. it's not like Drake wear long coat or cape to show off cloth physics.

Drake's accessories did move beautifully though, like his grappling hook fastened at his waist, assault rifle holster

Exclalty they are using subtle effects. Wind isn't magic.

AdanVC

Chest-hair physics... now it's when the next-gen gaming can truly begin woah. But jokes aside, is really THAT necessary to have that insane level of detail??? But still, I think it's pretty impressive what they're trying to achive this time around. Kudos to Naughty Dog!

You guys are right, it being superior on every level and using exaggerated movement to show off its technical strength makes it look like shit.

Thank you for proving an unfortunately indelible bias.

Hair flops and swifts, doesn't flow like water. Exaggerated movement of hair wouldn't look like that at all.

UrbanRats

So why show a exaggerating example?
Of course it's more "impressive", it's also unrealistic.

Because it's a techdemo about one particular tech, as well as a benchmark.
It's not meant to show how realistically they can NOT move short hair.
The fuck would be the point of a tech demo where the hair barely moves? Again, it's showcasing a larger tech that can be applied to many other areas, not just showcasing how realistic they can make short hair.

Also, during the (more recent) NVidia hairworks showcase, they clearly show that rigidity is one of the options you can tweak, so they were clearly pushing the movement to the max in that fairy tech demo, to let you see what it is all about.

Vizzeh

Banned
chest hair? are we going to finally have shirtless Drake? I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't had any shirtless Drake scene after 3 games, lol. would have gain a couple more female fans I'm sure.

nathan_drake_shirtless_by_iloveyouspntvdhsm-d4zyp8r.jpg

That is just pure Objectification of drake! :p

That is some crazy detail going into this title, 800 facial Animations and chest hair physics lol.

I noticed the AI got beefed up too, it seems to follow TLoU style: Check over there, I'll check here teamwork. Seems TloU combat has been used too which is hugely positive albeit modified for a more action orientation. Really looking forward to see further sneak peaks.

HyperOne

Banned
Still a boring and generic brown haired scruffy thirty something male protagonist. No amount of polygons and physics will change that,

GnawtyDog

Banned
Still a boring and generic brown haired scruffy thirty something male protagonist. No amount of polygons and physics will change that,

A wild generic post appears. Seems to have missed the first 15 mins of the panel presentation.

Here is the panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jVUBnp6lQ&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

Very interesting: just checked in the middle: he said there is even dirt under the fingernails just wow !

Thanks.

Superflat

The shy artists are constantly stumbling over their words (they probably don't get the spotlight often), but it was pretty darn cool seeing them explain the step by step process and work pipeline from the character design front.

What a wildly inappropriate comment.

B4TDMuQCcAAKpoF.jpg

That's one hell a handsome looking Drake.

As then 20 something male when the first game came out to now 30 something male and this being my favorite PS3 series. Thank god for that. There is plenty of games with anime, soldier, bald, crazy haired, styli-shed games out there for everyone. I like Drake the way he is.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

He's not generic though, he's written very specifically, especially in the video game world. His personality has been copied so much that now it may seem generic, but that's not ND's fault.

Of course, if you're just saying a white brown haired person is automatically boring and generic, then I guess you're entitled to that racist opinion.

ND putting in some extra effort to take the monopoly of insane attempts at hair rendering from Square-Enix.

Joel demands a patch for improved beard and chest hair physics. And that waterfall thing. And air billowing under the shirt in the wind. Holy shit.
I won't be impressed until I see Nate's pubic hair affected by the wind.
Not going to lie... I would also be interested in this. For scientific and technological precedent, if nothing else.

^^^^^

I still watching the video, but holy crap the level of detail on Drake is ridiculous. Some more pics I grabbed.

Uncharted4Drake2_zpsb98a67da.png

Uncharted4armhairfinalrender_zpsfed624c9.png

Dude, they detailed the arm hair!

Top Bottom