• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

(I bought the Order for God's sake!)

Jpi9CvA.gif

nib95

Banned
i dunno breh. Sounds like you ran through the game just to see errthang so you can hop on MP. $80 DOWN THE DRAIIINNNNN!

I'm guessing you're jesting, but he bought it for the multiplayer anyway. In earlier posts asking why they even bothered with the campaign, so I doubt he cares too much about it, nor feels it'd be a waste of his money. For him the multiplayer is obviously the meat and potatoes.

Loris146

Yes I did. It was simply more interesting to me.

How I would rate TLOU's story? Hmm...

UC3 > TLOU > UC2 = UDF > UC4 = UGA.

That last time I compared them like this I just got a bunch of reaction gifs >_>

James-Franco-Drinking-Water-laughing-to-shock.gif

Sorry man but this is one of the worst chart i ever read on neogaf :)

AKyemeni

Well that's good but you gotta remember the back half of the game is what has the more explorative bigger environments so that could definitely play a factor as well if you rush that back end.

I know. I did explore them as well. I'm pretty sure most of my collectables are from the back half of the game.

do the collectibles unlock anything or are they just bullshit to check off the list for trophy hounds or to extend the game length

AKyemeni

I'm guessing you're jesting, but he bought it for the multiplayer anyway, in earlier posts asking why they even bothered with the campaign, so I doubt he cares too much about it. For him the multiplayer is the meat and potatoes.

Like I said, I was just shooting the shit :p

But the multiplayer is the meat and potatoes for me. I never touch the MP before I finish the single player.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yes I did. It was simply more interesting to me.

How I would rate TLOU's story? Hmm...

UC3 > TLOU > UC2 = UDF > UC4 = UGA.

That last time I compared them like this I just got a bunch of reaction gifs >_>
I'd get a gif but I'm on mobile, hah. Your opinion definitely differs from mine on the stories. I'd probably go TLOU > U2 > U3 > U1 and I don't even remember UGA's story, lol. I really enjoyed TLOU's story so I'd guess U4 will resonate well with me.

I loved the game, here is my personal ranking for those wondering.

My Uncharted ranks:
Story:UC4 > UC2 > UC3 = UDF
Gameplay:UC4 > UC2> UC3 > UDF
Puzzles:UC4 = UC3 > UC2 > UDF
Set peices:UC4 > UC3 = UC2 > UDF

Note I don't even include GA, while I enjoyed it for a handheld game, it can't compare.

Revven

TBH I was having fun with those posts because it's interesting to see people's reactions when I tell them I prefer multiplayer to single player (I do, not denying that)

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not a single player guy (I bought the Order for God's sake!). I was very much looking forward to the single player.

Hey, answer this:

What are the single player unlocks (tweaks)? Character skins? How many of them? Any new tweaks or is it just a repeat of UC2/UC3 (in the Nathan Drake Collection)?

I'm playing on hard, I love the aggressiveness of the enemies. When you get spotted they swarm from all sides. Trying to hide in one spot is basically death, you have to move constantly which goes with the games strength.

I agree completely. Also playing on hard and finding the difficulty just perfect.

Really looking forward to playing the game again tonight. There are some really great moments so far, and the gameplay is Uncharted perfected. The firing mechanics are just so refined, with guns sounding incredible and firing very snappily and responsively.

The story is really good by any videogame standards, but I hope they kick it up a few notches since so much of the game is so heavily story based. I think my final score will be very influenced by where the story goes since ND is making the narrative so aggressively front and center this time around.

Haven't seen any huge set pieces yet, but there have been little touches that have really, really impressed me. I'm about a third of the way through the game at chapter 8.

Will write more later.

viHuGi

Banned
Total treasures: 22/109
Total journal entries: 10/25
Total notes: 11/23
Conversations : 14/36

Note: I wasn't rushing through or anything. I did my fair bit of exploration, but the treasures are hard to spot and the conversations are glitchy, much like TLOU in that sometimes they wouldn't trigger or an animation cancels the triangle prompt.

Wow 11h with that kind of rush? This is a big game lads!

Only 22 treasures? Were you just running until the end or what?

The 6h Trophy will be hard i see.

AKyemeni

Hey, answer this:

What are the single player unlocks (tweaks)? Character skins? How many of them? Any new tweaks or is it just a repeat of UC2/UC3 (in the Nathan Drake Collection)?

The character skins are limited (I think I only saw like 8 or so)

The modifications and gameplay tweaks are way, WAY better (new and more of them) than in the previous uncharted's though.

viHuGi

Banned

My Uncharted ranks:

Note I don't even include GA, while I enjoyed it for a handheld game, it can't compare.

Great to hear, game looks great!

How many time did it takes to beat the game not rushing it?

nib95

Banned

My Uncharted ranks:

I liked what you said earlier about being able to relate now that you too are married and living a more traditional life. Hoping the story will hit a similar chord with me.

do the collectibles unlock anything or are they just bullshit to check off the list for trophy hounds or to extend the game length

Points to unlock more stuff. Plus they look really pretty. Nice materials, shaders, designs, different objects, artifacts, jewellery etc.

My Uncharted ranks:

Do the set pieces get crazier? I'm about a third of the way through.

Revven

The character skins are limited (I think I only saw like 8 or so)

The modifications and gameplay tweaks are way, WAY better than in the previous uncharted's though.

Damn, really? Only 8? That really fucking sucks. Are the skins Drake only or are there some that are of completely different characters (like Sully)? Or is it much more like how TLOU handled the skins, where it's just different clothes for Joel?

Good to hear about the gameplay tweaks, though. I was expecting them to just do the same they've been doing since UC1. I'm excited to see what they are now.

AKyemeni

What are the customizations in the MP lobby for custom games?

The server was down again after they reopened them up. I never got a chance to connect. AK is very sad.

Damn, really? Only 8? That really fucking sucks. Are the skins Drake only or are there some that are of completely different characters (like Sully)? Or is it much more like how TLOU handled the skins, where it's just different clothes for Joel?

All different characters that you interact with.

Revven

All different characters that you interact with.

Ooohhh, okay well then GOOD! That's good! I'll take that at least. Sad it probably looks like old outfits for Drake won't be available for single player, though (no Heist or Desert Drake :( ). Unless more are coming down the pipeline for free for whatever reason.

If you could try this real quick (I know you said you weren't going to return to the single player for awhile) but could you (if you have any of the skins) try and see if the skin affects the cutscenes? Or, is it just like UC1-3 where no matter what (because they were pre-rendered cutscenes) it was always Drake even if you were using a different skin? Really want to know because they said the cutscenes are in-game (not pre-rendered) or whatever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I thought that E3 set-piece was pretty crazy as it is. Don't think I'd need anything more bombastic than that.

I really hope there is more stuff like that in the game, if not this would be a huge letdown for me.

The puzzles and platforming are so far ahead and easily the best in the series.

None of the puzzles so far have stumped me so as to halt progress and ruin pacing but are still pretty creative and challenging.

And the platforming is just so much better.

reKon

Banned
That's not an exaggeration, nor it is hyperbole.

Next time you feel the need to post but "shouldn't even have to explain why" then maybe consider not posting. Save us the trouble.

It's not hating on a game to say "I'll wait for this when it's cheap." Which is what that poster said.

I don't see a single exaggeration.

It's a dumb opinion and not well supported but there is no hyperbole in the text you quoted.

Are you saying "more stealth sections" is some kind of wild statement? I mean, it might be wrong depending on how you define stealth section. But it's not extreme it exaggerated.

Just don't be a part of Misusing "Hyperbole" GAF.

You have to look at the post in its entirety to see why it's an exaggeration. I highlighted the first sentence because that's what the purchase is based on. Based on the impressions, this game doesn't have more or less stealth sections. The level/encounter design, and AI have improved so much that you can play how you want. Others who have been playing the game seemed to have confirmed this. There aren't levels dedicated to only being stealth. His post took a very myopic viewpoint on the combat as stealth is merely more of an easier option this time to use as a tool to get past combat scenarios if the person desires.

Secondly, he's saying that it's a story by the last of guys. What about Uncharted 2 which was directed by the same individuals. Didn't Neil have some creative input in Uncharted 1 as well? Maybe this part of the post was more being misinformed than a exaggeration of what kind of game that we would be getting Regardless, I when you look the reasoning for why this a bargain bin game, to me it just looks like a silly exaggeration (aka it's more of a TLoU game than a Uncharted game). And I don't even have issue with him buying it cheap - I did that for TLoU Remastered because I bought it when I actually had time to play and it was on sale.

brau

I have a question.

Playing Quantum Break and wanting to get the most out of the "narrative" of the game i often feel like the hunting for them takes me out of the game in a bad way. I pay more attention to go out and explore for the pick up than immerse myself in the game.

In previous Uncharted games if i find the treasures then great, but i have always finished my first play through with very few treasures.

So... my question. Did you feel like exploring was rewarding enough and immersive? or was it more of a hassle and takes you out of the game?

no love for my question?

AKyemeni

Ooohhh, okay well then GOOD! That's good! I'll take that at least. Sad it probably looks like old outfits for Drake won't be available for single player, though (no Heist or Desert Drake :( ). Unless more are coming down the pipeline for free for whatever reason.

If you could try this real quick (I know you said you weren't going to return to the single player for awhile) but could you (if you have any of the skins) try and see if the skin affects the cutscenes? Or, is it just like UC1-3 where no matter what (because they were pre-rendered cutscenes) it was always Drake even if you were using a different skin? Really want to know because they said the cutscenes are in-game (not pre-rendered) or whatever.

It should affect it, since it's real time, but I'll try.

Loudninja

None of the puzzles so far have stumped me so as to halt progress and ruin pacing but are still pretty creative and challenging.

Awesome!

Great to hear. I like that basically everybody agrees that gunplay, melee, platforming and puzzles are the best in the series.

Alienous

I completed The Last of Us in one sitting, and ended up have a total playtime of 10.5 hours. I found about a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the collectables. And I didn't feel like I was rushing until perhaps the final 2.5 hours or so, but that was just "I want to see how this ends".

I only say that as a counterpoint to the "you were rushing" argument, which seems to have the implication that it invalidates AKyemeni's opinion in any way. I could barely view The Last of Us any more highly, so I doubt playing in one long sitting impacted my experience much, if at all. Also you tend to get pretty efficient at playing a game when you complete it uninterrupted. So, from that perspective, I view AKyemeni's opinion as validly as some who took perhaps 20 hours completing the game, or 15.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear your thoughts, AKyemeni. If you were to distil it down what you be your top three positives and negatives for Uncharted 4?

AKyemeni

I have a question.

Playing Quantum Break and wanting to get the most out of the "narrative" of the game i often feel like the hunting for them takes me out of the game in a bad way. I pay more attention to go out and explore for the pick up than immerse myself in the game.

In previous Uncharted games if i find the treasures then great, but i have always finished my first play through with very few treasures.

So... my question. Did you feel like exploring was rewarding enough and immersive? or was it more of a hassle and takes you out of the game?

Exploring is rewarding. There are journals and bits of artifacts that flesh out the history and environment (similar to TLoU). Sometimes, Drake comments on them.

Revven

It should affect it, since it's real time, but I'll try.

Thanks, I know it should but you never know sometimes. Because they have to rig the model to Drake's animations I could see, if things went awry (to where they would deem it unnecessary to fix since it's an optional skin), them forcing Drake's model to load to avoid all the headache. But if it works, it just means that the trade-off for this was less character skins for full-character implementation unlike the previous games -- meaning they had to go in and rig everything and test it and fix anything that could possibly go wrong by rigging a different character model up to Drake's cutscene animations.

If they work in cutscenes less character skins isn't a terrible trade-off for it. It means you have even more reason to replay it with each character skin in the future than the previous games (since the previous games it was gameplay only).

I really wonder if they might add more in the future via patches but I doubt it.

Could talk about that more in detail? The traversal in previous UC games mostly feels like a means to an end. A very simplistic analog stick pointing and button mashing along the one path available to get to the story/combat/puzzle/set piece moments. Occasionally a ledge will break in a scripted way to give off a false sense of danger, but you really aren't.

I know its not gonna become Prince of Persia: Sands of Time or 3D Mario World, but what is it about this entry that makes it "so much better" than the previous entries?

Top Bottom