• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

reKon

Banned
Look up the word hyperbole and reflect upon why a plainly stated opinion that differs from your own feels like an extreme exaggeration to you.

Are you serious with this post? His very first setenece is an extreme exaggeration with pretty much no thought put into it. I shouldn't even have to explain to why because it's pretty obvious. This is definitely an Uncharted game in every aspect.

Anyone have any specific questions? I'm awake and fresh. I was thinking of doing a review but I'm too lazy.

I've beaten the game in 11 hours with 609 enemies slain on hard. I will be completely honest in what I say.

Can you give an estimate on how many puzzles you had to solve? If you can't give a number, were there more or less puzzles than U3?

nib95

Banned
I guess I feel the need to explain it. So here goes.

I dislike stealth games in general. I'm terrible at them so I don't find them fun. That tended to sour me on TLoU I got about halfway through before looking up what happened via YouTube. It was cool for what it was. It's just not something I enjoyed. In general I preferred Amy Hennings scripts in uncharted 1 and 3 over Druckmans work on U2. So the fact Druckman dumped 8 months worth of Hennings work on U4 makes me look at it in a slightly negative light, As for Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the first and loved Riana Pratchett's work in TR2013 and in Mirrors Edge. So that game has more of my faith right now.

Stealth is optional in the vast majority of encounters in the game, in a similar way to RotTR, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you don't want to play it stealthily, don't.

AKyemeni

Did you try stealth much on Hard? I'm assuming pattern routes don't change since it has no chance of being a deep as something like mgs.

I stealthed in all my encounters at first. I had the markings and all that still on and marking is lenient as hell. You can just point in a general direction and spam L3 and they'll all be marked. It was fun to stealth the first couple of dudes and then start blasting them since the gunplay is so good.

Why are you being a hater on the single player? You suggested that other Uncharted games were better in this regard. That suggests that you had issues with story and pacing because if you're saying the gameplay is worse, I'm saying gtfo. Try not to give any type of spoiler in your response if possible and if you aren't able to do that, just ignore my post, lol.

Yeah, I did have issues with the pacing and story. The gameplay is the best the series has ever seen hands down. Playing through the story and watching the cutscenes, I was just thinking how much Druckmann had drunk the TLoU kool aid. I don't want to give too much of a spoiler, but when they said the story was more grounded, they fucking meant it, which could be good or bad according to who you talk to. (I didn't like it.)

How do you feel the "wide linear" approach works with the story pacing? Do things always move at a brisk pace, or is there potentially a lot of pointless dicking around without much payoff?

What I'm most curious about is how the game handles larger areas -- I'm really a story-driven rpg guy, and there the side content/exploration usually has some character progression/new item type payoff.

The wide linear approach to combat is great. It kinda doesn't have to do with the story and I don't feel like it had a negative effect to the story or pacing.

Some parts, especially towards the end (UC2 syndrome) drag on way too much, but I don't think that has anything to do with the wide linear approach.

The Lamp

hmmm..

What chapter are you on Lamp btw?

To be fair I'm not exactly sure what you mean by one note gameplay.

The guns feel better and there are more ways to tackle an encounter but the gameplay in every encounter is still the same tenants: cinematic shooting, climbing, and stealth. If that's what bothered you, it will still bother you in U4.

I don't want to comment much on the story, but I'm early in the game and the story is nothing groundbreaking so far (neither was The Last of Us), so if predictability is your main complaint, idk if you will like this game either.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are you serious with this post? His very first setenece is an extreme exaggeration with pretty much no thought put into it. I shouldn't even have to explain to why because it's pretty obvious. This is definitely an Uncharted game in every aspect.
I don't see a single exaggeration.

It's a dumb opinion and not well supported but there is no hyperbole in the text you quoted.

Are you saying "more stealth sections" is some kind of wild statement? I mean, it might be wrong depending on how you define stealth section. But it's not extreme it exaggerated.

Just don't be a part of Misusing "Hyperbole" GAF.

AKyemeni

Can you give an estimate on how many puzzles you had to solve? If you can't give a number, were there more or less puzzles than U3?

There were about the same number as UC3's and about as interesting (or even more so). There's alot of box dragging then jumping on them though (TLOU dumpsters).

Sounds like ND took gameplay criticisms to heart and made that a huge focus this time around. Beauty of that is ND are masters of storytelling and presentation so those areas likely didn't suffer.

zsynqx

I stealthed in all my encounters at first. I had the markings and all that still on and marking is lenient as hell. You can just point in a general direction and spam L3 and they'll all be marked. It was fun to stealth the first couple of dudes and then start blasting them since the gunplay is so good.

Yeah, I did have issues with the pacing and story. The gameplay is the best the series has ever seen hands down. Playing through the story and watching the cutscenes, I was just thinking how much Druckmann had drunk the TLoU kool aid. I don't want to give too much of a spoiler, but when they said the story was more grounded, they fucking meant it, which could be good or bad according to who you talk to. (I didn't like it.)

The wide linear approach to combat is great. It kinda doesn't have to do with the story and I don't feel like it had a negative effect to the story or pacing.

Some parts, especially towards the end (UC2 syndrome) drag on way too much, but I don't think that has anything to do with the wide linear approach.

I don't think Ive ever asked you before, but what are your opinions on TLOU campaign?

Appreciate the perspective -- so basically the game still has the same tightly paced story, just opens up how the combat encounters work. That does sound pretty appealing, although I'm not a big TPS fan....

reKon

Banned

Damn well I guess this won't affect me as much because I never thought the story's in Uncharted games were amazing. I thought they were just solid and was always more impressed with the dialogue and writing. Maybe this direction that Neil has taken is where there were creative differences with Amy's story. I guess we'll never know.

I don't see a single exaggeration.

It's a dumb opinion and not well supported but there is no hyperbole in the text you quoted.

To be fair when you label a ND game a bargain bin title or call Uncharted 3 a piece of shit game, in my mind that is hyperbole because you have to recognize even if you don't like it there is a certain level of quality in these titles from a technical standpoint that makes those labels invalid.

But I'm the kind of guy in general who prefer a "I hated it" to "this game is ___".

Edit: ah he said "for me." my bad.

That's not an exaggeration, nor it is hyperbole.

Next time you feel the need to post but "shouldn't even have to explain why" then maybe consider not posting. Save us the trouble.

To be fair when you label a ND game a bargain bin title or call Uncharted 3 a piece of shit game, in my mind that is hyperbole because you have to recognize even if you don't like it there is a certain level of quality in these titles from a technical standpoint that makes those labels invalid.

But I'm the kind of guy in general who prefer a "I hated it" to "this game is ___".

It's not hating on a game to say "I'll wait for this when it's cheap." Which is what that poster said.

I am trying to explore most areas, I have no damn clue where they are hiding these treasures. I got maybe half of the ones I could get so far. They are tough to find.

That's not an exaggeration, nor it is hyperbole.

Next time you feel the need to post but "shouldn't even have to explain why" then maybe consider not posting. Save us the trouble.

It's not hating on a game to say "I'll wait for this when it's cheap." Which is what that poster said.

Actually I went back and looked at his post and he did say "for me" so yeah you're right that's no problem.

The other situation of Uncharted 3 hyperbole reigns true though (in other GAF threads). To add to the people giving their opinions earlier, it's my favorite in the series.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I read it to mean that for him it is not worth purchasing until the price is much lower.

Again, I think it's a silly opinion badly expressed, but not a patently ludicrous statement.

AKyemeni

How many treasures did you find in your first playthrough?

Total treasures: 22/109
Total journal entries: 10/25
Total notes: 11/23
Conversations : 14/36

Note: I wasn't rushing through or anything. I did my fair bit of exploration, but the treasures are hard to spot and the conversations are glitchy, much like TLOU in that sometimes they wouldn't trigger or an animation cancels the triangle prompt.

driver116

Look up the word hyperbole and reflect upon why a plainly stated opinion that differs from your own feels like an extreme exaggeration to you.

The whole thing is an exaggeration of how bad the game is (without having playing it). And try and tone down the school teacher manner if you don't mind.

The Lamp

Agreed, the treasures are very hard to find this time around. I feel like I've found very little, but I keep exploring.

AKyemeni

Man, I wish the multiplayer was up again. I have no intentions of playing through the single player again (On crushing) for a while.

The gameplay is simply too good.

HMD

Man, I wish the multiplayer was up again. I have no intentions of playing through the single player again (On crushing) for a while.

The gameplay is simply too good.

Did you seriously like UC3's story more than UC2's? Also how would you rate TLoU's story with the UC games?

nib95

Banned
MP was fun until you play it for 2 years and start to realize why you have been playing it for so long and see all of its faults.

Lol. I don't think I've ever played any multiplayer game for 2 years. With the exception of maybe Counter Strike Source, bolstered mostly by custom play lists and servers, mods, free updates, professional leagues etc.

brau

I have a question.

Playing Quantum Break and wanting to get the most out of the "narrative" of the game i often feel like the hunting for them takes me out of the game in a bad way. I pay more attention to go out and explore for the pick up than immerse myself in the game.

In previous Uncharted games if i find the treasures then great, but i have always finished my first play through with very few treasures.

So... my question. Did you feel like exploring was rewarding enough and immersive? or was it more of a hassle and takes you out of the game?

Total treasures: 22/109
Total journal entries: 10/25
Total notes: 11/23
Conversations : 14/36

Note: I wasn't rushing through or anything. I did my fair bit of exploration, but the treasures are hard to spot and the conversations are glitchy, much like TLOU in that sometimes they wouldn't trigger or an animation cancels the triangle prompt.

Sounds like you rushed through the game.

AKyemeni

Did you seriously like UC3's story more than UC2's? Also how would you rate TLoU's story with the UC games?

Yes I did. It was simply more interesting to me.

How I would rate TLOU's story? Hmm...

UC3 > TLOU > UC2 = UDF > UC4 = UGA.

That last time I compared them like this I just got a bunch of reaction gifs >_>

you calling him a liar?
I have no doubt that he's telling the truth personally but for all his previous post you can tell he was looking forward 2 multiplayer didn't care too much about the single player and wasn't like fully invested in trying to find hidden treasures or exploration. Well there will be some others that play the game like this the majority most likely will not.

HMD

That last time I compared them like this I just got a bunch of reaction gifs >_>

Our tastes don't match at all, so hopefully I'll enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed UC2's story.

I swear I didn't lol. I took my sweet ass time in the first 60 percent of the game. After that, I was pressed for time a bit but I didn't rush it to the point of where I simply ignored everything.
Well that's good but you gotta remember the back half of the game is what has the more explorative bigger environments so that could definitely play a factor as well if you rush that back end.

I swear I didn't lol. I took my sweet ass time in the first 60 percent of the game. After that, I was pressed for time a bit but I didn't rush it to the point of where I simply ignored everything.

i dunno breh. Sounds like you ran through the game just to see errthang so you can hop on MP. $80 DOWN THE DRAIIINNNNN!

Jpi9CvA.gif

AKyemeni

I have no doubt that he's telling the truth personally but for all his previous post you can tell he was looking forward 2 multiplayer didn't care too much about the single player and wasn't like fully invested in trying to find hidden treasures or exploration. Well there will be some others that play the game like this the majority most likely will not.

TBH I was having fun with those posts because it's interesting to see people's reactions when I tell them I prefer multiplayer to single player (I do, not denying that)

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not a single player guy (I bought the Order for God's sake!). I was very much looking forward to the single player.

Top Bottom