• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 story trailer

dialogue option moment is so good. our first adventure was in 2007 and look at where we now. i will miss this series and al the memories we had so much.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone post what he said? I'm not watching

the character's appearance was decided after laura was cast. there was no definite appearance at the time of the casting. they decided she was still the best fit for the eventual end character despite the differences between the character and real life va.

Gbraga

Druckmann absolutely nailed it.

Calling it now, his brother is the villain.

I really hope not, not just because it would be too predictable, but because I just want that nice relationship between them all the way through. How often do you get the missing brother coming back and just the two of them looking out for each other?

styl3s

He said that when he cast he had no idea if the character was going to be black or white etc. and hired the best possible actress and that there is also a character in the game who is white and played by a black man.

He gave solid reasons why this isn't a big deal and it isn't but we live in a world where you can't not upset some people.

Vire

Good answer. Good ansssweer. *family feud*

... I want to make fun of Troy for wearing a fedora, but he kinda pulls it off?

They auditioned a good number of actors, some black, some white and she was the best fit. Laura came in and killed it, they didn't have the race of the character decided at this point. He basically said that they talked about it internally, discussed if they should change the look of the character, but Neil ended up deciding against it after they put everything together in game. He also mentioned that there is a black actor who's playing a white character he can't mention yet. He then said that the beautiful thing about our medium is that the actors don't have to look like their characters.

Shin-Ra

I found this reunion genuinely touching, incredible character performance, graphics and eery sound design.

Gbraga

For people who didn't see it, an amazing example he gave was how Troy and Ashley can't play Joel and Ellie in the movie version, even though they were absolutely perfect in the game, and how that is so beautiful about acting in games.

Good answer. Good ansssweer. *family feud*

... I want to make fun of Troy for wearing a fedora, but he kinda pulls it off?

He's too hot to look bad in anything.

-griffy-

Banned

Neil was up late reading GAF last night despite his better judgement, so he wanted to address it. Essentially, when they cast the role of Nadine they didn't even have a look for the character yet. They auditioned actors of all ethnicities, American, South African, white, black, etc. Laura Bailey won the part. Laura was Nadine when she auditioned, so she won the role. Then they started capturing scenes, while still working on art. Then a concept artist drew a piece of art of Nadine as a black character, and Neil thought it was great, and Neil though it was a great opportunity to have a strong, prominent black character in the game. But Laura was white, and they had internal discussions about that and it inviting controversy. So they decided not to finalize the look until they could actually see it in scenes. Meanwhile they kept capturing scenes with the actors they hired for the parts. Months later, when they finally started to get character designs and animations and stuff into scenes they captured and could actually see everything in context, they thought Nadine was a great character and Laura's performance vanished into the part and you didn't see anything but Nadine and Nate as characters, so they decided not to change the character to a white character. There's also a prominent white character that they aren't ready to reveal yet that's performed by a black actor.

Top Bottom