• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkorejo

No. Not in writing.

3's story was a mess that was thrown into some scripted set pieces. It tried and failed at a lot of things.

Uncharted 1 had a very simple, focused story that was tightly developed between Sully, Elena and Nate, and the island setting came around that. It succeeded at this.

U3 failed at whatever it was trying to write.

I agree with this. Its mainly because the game was not designed according to the story but it was the other way around.

Amy said it in one of the making of videos, that she had to come up with the story according to the locations and set-pieces the game designers wanted to include in the game. Not really her fault that the story wasnt as good as everyone expected it to be.

I believe they wanted to top the setpieces of Uncharted 2 and the whole thing just needed a much better direction, more focus on a well told story and a bit more time to finish it.

farisr

It's sad that this and the civil war review thread are my currently most visited threads. Both about things that I'm really hyped about which members of the public in others parts of the world have access to days/weeks earlier than I will.

How are you finding the game so far?

Incredible! The combat is a joy to play because of how each encounter feels like its own little sandbox.
The pacing has been fairly good too, especially after Uncharted 3 left a bad taste in my mouth although the game feels a lot more serious.Maybe it's because I'm not seeing the big picture yet though.

Im always amused how totally superfluous that whole shipyard part of UC3. Like could just exercise that entire thing and skip right to Drake reuniting with Elena to go rescue Sully.

Like they really had a dope idea for a bunch of shipyard sequences, and just had to put it in, narrative justification be damned. No sully, working radio, no treasure, no Marlowe, but we're doing this fuckin Titanic set piece, fam.

I-hate-u

Im always amused how totally superfluous that whole shipyard part of UC3. Like could just exercise that entire thing and skip right to Drake reuniting with Elena to go rescue Sully.

Like they really had a dope idea for a bunch of shipyard sequences, and just had to put it in, narrative justification be damned. No sully, working radio, no treasure, no Marlowe, but we're doing this fuckin Titanic set piece, fam.

Was freaking awesome to play though.

Well it was an amazing sequence to play, so there's that.

Edit: I-hate-u? More like i-love-u! brofist.gif

SomTervo

all uncharted games have incredibly shallow gameplay imo. what do you like about uncharteds gameplay?

TLOU was a huge step in the right direction for actually playing the game

Have you played Uncharted 2 on crushing?

Uncharted 1 and 3 are good fun, but not particularly great on the gameplay stakes. UC1 has a lot of bad pacing for that and UC3 had some really bad encounter design; play it on Crushing and you'll get cheap shotted from spawning enemies and have cover in stupid places, etc.

Uncharted 2, though? That was Druckmann and Straley's first triumph, before they went on to do The Last of Us. Play it on Crushing. The enemies constantly grenade and constantly push you, so you have to keep moving. If you expose yourself for more than two or three seconds, you're dead. (You're invincible while rolling so you use that to get to clamber points/new cover). You have to know Drake's moveset inside and out and know the levels and AI inside and out.

Best of all is that you have to move a lot. On Easy-Hard it's very easy to stay behind cover and just pop n shoot. But on UC2-Crushing you have to actually clamber, use verticality, use stealth, lose your enemies and flank them (yep, you could do this in Uncharted 2) and stay on the move to survive.

Plus loads of Uncharted 2's encounters could be stealthed 100%. You can stealth the majority of the train level with some good movement strategy. And some of the bigger fights can be rendered inconsequential if you use stealth and take out 8/10 of the guys in the combat bowl.

Basically UC2 actually nails little sandbox arenas, with lots of tools and roaming, intelligent AI around. It really comes into its own on Crushing. For instance, the fight in the snow after the train crash. I recently replayed that and one of the shotgunners managed to sneak up on me. That has never happened to me before. I was in cover, looking out for one shotgunner I'd lost track of, then BAM I get grabbed from behind.

And the big fight in the ruins in Shambala, with Chloe and Elena when you travel across this large area, then henchmen come in from behind you and start patrolling, then smurfs come in once you've killed a few of them. You remember that bit? I stealthed almost the entire thing when I played it again two weeks ago. I'd never done that before, and this is my 7th playthrough or something. When the goons appear behind you you can use certain routes to snap all their necks without being spotted. Of course, when the chaingun guy comes, that's out the window, but you can do a lot of it this way.

I actually have a video of that. Maybe I'll upload it.

Anyway, Uncahrted 4 looks like it's upping the scale of that sort of encounter enormously, and then adding in more mechanics and TLoU's level of AI/stealth work. Goody.

SomTervo

A guy on the previous page confirmed that distributors in America were shipping the game to retailers now.

Whether they've started elsewhere who knows but I hope so.

Deffo. I know my local mum and pa store are getting it on Saturday 7th May.

Perhaps another local store will get it sooner.

The Lamp

And then he
survives basically a hurricane and conveniently washes up on the right shore completely fine and makes his way back to Elena! Lmao

God U3 was a mess.

Gurish

And then he
survives basically a hurricane and conveniently washes up on the right shore completely fine and makes his way back to Elena! Lmao

God U3 was a mess.

Story was shit, no other way of putting it, worst in the series by far.

zsynqx

Incredible! The combat is a joy to play because of how each encounter feels like its own little sandbox.
The pacing has been fairly good too, especially after Uncharted 3 left a bad taste in my mouth although the game feels a lot more serious.Maybe it's because I'm not seeing the big picture yet though.

Great to hear man! Reckon you will do any videos on it?

I love that, he just so happens to survive the equivalent of the Titanic sinking in the middle of nowhere, just so happens to wash up shore, and of course the first house he goes to Elena just so happens to be there.

I think ND even know what a huge contrivance that was

uc3howconvenient.png

Set piece first, story later on full display here.

And then he

I love that, he just so happens to survive the equivalent of the Titanic sinking in the middle of nowhere, just so happens to wash up shore, and of course the first house he goes to Elena just so happens to be there.

I think ND even know what a huge contrivance that was:

uc3howconvenient.png

They were doing this ship thing no matter what, we can get back to the plot later

Philippo

Silly question for those who bought it: is the side of the cover (the part with the name of the game) black, white or colored?

I think ND even know what a huge contrivance that was:

uc3howconvenient.png

They were doing this ship thing no matter what, we can get back to the plot later

Yeah idk why they did it that way. I'm fine with them working around set pieces, but I'm sure they could have thought of a better way to integrate it into the story rather than it being an almost totally unrelated, story-lite, tangent that takes up like 1/6th of the game's time and is bolted into the narrative in an awkward, contrived way.

zsynqx

I always wished this will happen, I even tweeted ND about this idea: when this selection shows up: if Uncharted 4 is digitally downloaded and so is Uncharted Collection if you own it ( it can work by swapping disks too), You click one of the option or one by one in order and you start playing the older games as if Nathan was telling his brother Sam about his past adventures like a memory that you play. If Uncharted 4 finds out that you don't own the collection or that you finished one of the adventures or all, this slection scene ends and there is no need to play the past games. It would be just perfect in terms of story telling for those who got both Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Collection but never played the series. This is something akin to Kojima touch in MGS games or saves carrying scenario between Witcher games and Mass Effect games.

Would be a prefect way to kill the pacing ;)

Yeah idk why they did it that way. I'm fine with them working around set pieces, but I'm sure they could have thought of a better way to integrate it into the story rather than it being an almost totally unrelated, story-lite, tangent that takes up like 1/6th of the game's time and is bolted into the narrative in an awkward, contrived way.
The ship graveyard would have worked alot better as DLC. Just rework some of the story to be a bit more self contained (wouldn't be too hard considering how lazily it was worked into the main story).

Someone at ND (I think it was Bruce) mentioned that they had to cut one of their favorite set pieces from Uncharted 4 due to it not working narratively. I wonder if its something they would consider using for the DLC.

I've always shot this thinking down with saying how much it adds to the theme. Losing Sully was hung over Nate's head several times during the game so for one, that threat was there to give him/the player motivation to save him, and two, boom deception... the other theme of the game.

Some of the best parts of the game imo.

SomTervo

And then he

God U3 was a mess.

The 100% worst thing for me was how they wrote Marlowe into nothingness.

Just shocking. She had so much potential.

Betty

Banned
Uncharted 3 is the best in the series to me, COME AT ME

Unbalanced, unfair enemy encounters.

A story that meanders rather than thrills.

Weak villain.

Repeats the exact same third act from the second game "Find ancient city > Fight Boss > Ancient City get's completely destroyed forever"

Sure is pretty though but 2 is still the king.

rdytoroll

Jaime Cantizano + Google Images

Too bad he is not an actor :(

Fillion and Renner too old to be Drake...

Yeah, he looks the part, but I'd rather have a better actor than someone that looks exactly like Drake.

I don't think they're too old, especially if you look at Drake's look in UC4.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I always wished this will happen, I even tweeted ND about this idea: when this selection shows up: if Uncharted 4 is digitally downloaded and so is Uncharted Collection if you own it ( it can work by swapping disks too), You click one of the option or one by one in order and you start playing the older games as if Nathan was telling his brother Sam about his past adventures like a memory that you play. If Uncharted 4 finds out that you don't own the collection or that you finished one of the adventures or all, this slection scene ends and there is no need to play the past games. It would be just perfect in terms of story telling for those who got both Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Collection but never played the series. This is something akin to Kojima touch in MGS games or saves carrying scenario between Witcher games and Mass Effect games.

How much of the game would you play as a memory? Why would I want to play Uncharted 1, 2, or 3 for 8-12 hours if I had just booted up Uncharted 4?

Was freaking awesome to play though.

Exactly. Which, you know, isn't a totally valid excuse... ideally the narrative and action should mesh well... but it shows how spoiled and strident people can be. Basically we get a world-class series of action sequences, the likes of which few if any other devs have ever matched, and we react with "lame game, 6/10."

I am guilty myself. After 2, I criticized 3 to death for this and other reasons. Time has given me perspective. It's a very good game.

Someone at ND (I think it was Bruce) mentioned that they had to cut one of their favorite set pieces from Uncharted 4 due to it not working narratively. I wonder if its something they would consider using for the DLC.

Wait, what?

I haven't heard anything about them cutting a set-piece; I remember it being that they re-did the ending section to make it perfect.

I could also be wrong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How was the first page entirely lacking in someone making the observation that the game appears to be...

Among Thieves

I have never been more disappointed in this forum

Wait, what?

I haven't heard anything about them cutting a set-piece; I remember it being that they re-did the ending section to make it perfect.

I could also be wrong.

Troy Baker, this month: "Games are a very of an iterative process. There was a huge set piece in Uncharted 4 that I was massively in love with that had to get cut. Because it was either the game shipped broken and that scene is in there, or we put out a better game and that scene isn’t in there. And no one will ever miss what they didn’t know."

ltBRG1O.gif

Amy's statement about how the narrative is tailored after the set pieces was so true, but man if it isn't fun.

Lets also not forget so many movies do this very thing. If said person didn't do said thing at right the said time they never would have ended up where they did.

Perhaps example... Indiana Jones 2, we just so happen to jump out a crashing plane, use a raft to slide down a moutains. Then fall a shit ton of feet, into a river and we just stumble upon a person from a city who needs help. Yeah moments like that are eye rolling but the happen all the time.

Lets also not forget so many movies do this very thing. If said person didn't do said thing at right the said time they never would have ended up where they did.

Perhaps example... Indiana Jones 2, we just so happen to jump out a crashing plane, use a raft to slide down a moutains. Then fall a shit ton of feet, into a river and we just stumble upon a person from a city who needs help. Yeah moments like that are eye rolling but the happen all the time.

Correct--almost every movie is like this. It's a classic genre trope, which is what they are trying to emulate. They've been very clear about this since Uncharted 1.

Troy Baker, this month: "Games are a very of an iterative process. There was a huge set piece in Uncharted 4 that I was massively in love with that had to get cut. Because it was either the game shipped broken and that scene is in there, or we put out a better game and that scene isn’t in there. And no one will ever miss what they didn’t know."

Um, Naughty Dog needs to make this set-piece DLC. I would be more than happy to pay for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom