• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbalanced, unfair enemy encounters.

A story that meanders rather than thrills.

Weak villain.

Repeats the exact same third act from the second game "Find ancient city > Fight Boss > Ancient City get's completely destroyed forever"

Sure is pretty though but 2 is still the king.

Sounds like I should just skip 3.

Another batch from Alex840. He took some screenshots of the Madagascar market level which was demoed during the E3 presentation. However, if you haven't seen the making-of series, some of these screenshots can be seen as a spoiler.

Moreover, there's an additional filter that wasn't listed in Shinobi's post. Alex told me that he hasn't unlocked all filters yet.

Philippo

So have in this thread already posted what the (possibly) huge easter egg from the other thread is?

is it the playable filters?

Zemm

I'm playing through the collection now (in a weird order, 3, 2, 1).

The originals I've played as follows with these conclusions:

1: Solid game for the time, somewhat repetitive level design and slightly off combat, but elevated by the great characters and performances. Beaten on Normal, later Hard. B+ at the time.

2: Masterpiece. Best pacing in a game like this; the best set pieces; awesome regular battles with beautiful vertical level design; the best visuals; the best characters and tons of memorable story moments. Beaten on Normal, Hard, Crushing. A+ at the time.

3: Horrible aiming issues (The More You Know: I started and maintained the thread on here that got them to fix it). Once fixed, still a disappointing experience from 2 with seemingly rushed level design that regressed from 2. Set pieces were cool but had an aura of pummeling you into submission, like too much of a good thing. A lot of linearity that felt like meh, mostly because of U2 expectations. Mechanically a good game but really hurt by the aiming fuckup. Story had the patented character moments but also went kind of nowhere regarding the intriguing villains. Visuals were excellent but IQ felt worse than U2 at times. Beaten on Normal only due to lack of interest and the aiming ordeal. A- at the time but felt worst than that due to U2.

---

Collection replay (all on Hard with kid watching):

3: Wow, this came off a lot better than in 2011! Damn. Really enjoyed this time. Honestly it is a great example of how much better it is playing without forcing expectations onto your experience.

1: And this one came off worse than the original. Same game, of course, but the mechanical niggles like the cover system messing up, weak Moss-12 shotgun, breakdancing pirates, and the wave-based level design all seem quite damaging. It's really amazing how basic and somewhat unpolished this game was vs. 2 and 3.

2: This is officially now a game I can play an infinite number of times. It just doesn't get old. Everything between Nepal and the end of the game, minus a couple boss fights, is pure game design brilliance. I have some more to go through and can't wait to get back to it tonight. There are games I love, like Mass Effect 2, that I could not play repeatedly like this despite those games in some cases being much more open and free-form. Amazing.

I agree with all of this, it's almost like I wrote it. I'm replaying the collection now too and 3 is better than I remember, 2 is still a great and I had to stop halfway through 1 because it was so boring (liked it at release).

Sounds like I should just skip 3.
No. I played Uncharted 1 late and I really cannot fathom the people saying Uncharted 1 is better. All you have to do is play 1 first then go to three to see if that's the case. It doesn't even have a better story because none of the Villian's felt imposing.

Venom Fox

Banned
1) What was internal codename of UC1?

2) What was the model of Sully's airplane in UC1?

3) The decal on the (somewhat hated) Jetski in UC1 is featured in another ND game. Which game is it and where is it featured?

Edit: Bonus question.

Sully's airplane was called the "wild hog". What is this name referencing?

Composer

Just pre-ordered. So excited. Just FYI for some who don't know this (I definitely didn't) but if you have Amazon prime, and you order right now, they have about a $11-12 discount and of course release day delivery.

KKRT00

I was more talking about the way the scene was put together but yeah good point, I wonder how much of the market place was made in China.

Yeah, art direction is really great. I like color temperature in most scenes so far.

Huh? Source? Or am I missing something obvious here (excuse my ignorance)?
http://i.imgur.com/AJWqCSq.jpg

Google this presentation - Texturing Uncharted 4: A Matter of Substance

1) What was internal codename of UC1?

2) What was the model of Sully's airplane in UC1?

3) The decal on the (somewhat hated) Jetski in UC1 is featured in another ND game. Which game is it and where is it featured?

Edit: Bonus question.

Sully's airplane was called the "wild hog". What is this name referencing?

Sounds fun! Haha

1) Pretty sure it was Project Big
2) Dont know this one actually
3) The decal on the jetski was later used as Ellies Shirt design if I recall correctly
4) Hog Wild is a level in Crash Bandicoot

Venom Fox

Banned
Sounds fun! Haha

1) Pretty sure it was Project Big
2) Dont know this one actually
3) The decal on the jetski was later used as Ellies Shirt design if I recall correctly
4) Hog Wild is a level in Crash Bandicoot
Haha, great answers, all correct apart from 2 which was a pretty cruel one tbh ;P

Jesus, I'm a huge Uncharted fan and I know none of these! Shame is where I'll hang my head in.
Haha don't worry, I only remembered 1, 3 and 4 myself. Had to look up No.2 lol.

I'm having a great time with 3 at the moment, just got to the Chateau.

Do we know if Cutter comes back in 4? He cracks me up.

The biggest problem with Uncharted 3 is its pacing. That and the story. It suffers from "The Matrix: Reloaded syndrome" in that all the story choices were tailored around the epic set pieces. The Matrix: Reloaded tailored the movie around the massive freeway chase scene at the end. While it is cool to look at or play, there is no sense of urgency or purpose to a lot of it. When Nate boards the ship in UC3 to "save Sully," I remember thinking that something was finally happening with the story. And then it turns out that Sully was never on board, just in time for the boat to sink. What a fucking joke.

DoomGyver

Just pre-ordered. So excited. Just FYI for some who don't know this (I definitely didn't) but if you have Amazon prime, and you order right now, they have about a $11-12 discount and of course release day delivery.

Yeah you can get the special edition for 63.99 + tax.

Libertalia...

RbwdcXN.gif

Haha, great answers, all correct apart from 2 which was a pretty cruel one tbh ;P

s01qN5X.gif

Venom Fox

Banned
1) UC2's Chapter two had newspapers on the floor scattered about. What was on these newspapers?

2) In Chapter 1 of UC2, there's a cutscene with writing on a blackboard behind Nate. What language is this writing and what does it translate too?

3) What was the original title of Chapter 14 in UC2 and what was it referencing?

Bonus question:

The Tibetan village section in UC2 was inspired by which game?

Damn, now these are tough! I only know number 3 off the top of my head, I think it was "Drakes on a Train" referenceing "Snakes on a Plane" lol.

EDIT: Chalupa on point.

I also think 2 had Latin, but I dont recall what it said.

Great questions! Looking forward to the answers.

2) In Chapter 1 of UC2, there's a cutscene with writing on a blackboard behind Nate. What language is this writing and what does it translate too?

Bonus question:

The Tibetan village section in UC2 was inspired by which game?

2) Something in Greek related to Odysseus.

As for the bonus one, probably ICO.

Gurish

Another batch from Alex840. He took some screenshots of the Madagascar market level which was demoed during the E3 presentation. However, if you haven't seen the making-of series, some of these screenshots can be seen as a spoiler.

Moreover, there's an additional filter that wasn't listed in Shinobi's post. Alex told me that he hasn't unlocked all filters yet.

So pretty, but I think there is a cute thing there that I would consider as a very light kind of "experience spoiler", let's say I wish I didn't see those pics.

Anybody getting early shipping from Amazon..mines showing expected ship date May 2 and may get it Tues. or Wedns.

I've had the SE preordered for a while (still didn't cancel after Menugate), but I just ordered the standard copy just to see if it'll ship early. If I don't see anything in the next few days I'll cancel.

This is all likely a ploy by Druckmann to get people to preorder more than one copy.

Venom Fox

Banned
2) Something in Greek related to Odysseus.

As for the bonus one, probably ICO.
Yes! It was Greek, related to The Odyssey/Odysseus and translated to:
"Much enduring devine Nathan".

Bonus one is sadly incorrect, I didn't even know this one and had to research it!

Edit: I did think ICO as well but it isn't that apparently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom