• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy |OT| Ladies Trip

Hesemonni

Banned
TL:DR, don't play on Crushing. Just don't do it. It is complete BS, and even the devs know it, hence why they let you cheat and still get a trophy. I love this game, but Crushing difficulty sucks ass. Hard may provide a better experience due to still allowing you to mark enemies, although I really do get the impression that the only difficulty ND balanced this game for was Normal. Crushing is where everything just falls apart, sadly.
Much appreciated. I'll give it a whirl on hard, but brace myself for normal.

just finished and man, this might be the best uncharted game? it's everything i dug about 4 with better set pieces, slightly diluted 2 pacing, and easily the best final chapter in the series.

i would say it was too short but frankly i'd rather a game leave me wanting more than outstay its welcome. i just hope this serves as a blueprint for the series going forward, whoever the protagonist is (but chloe was awesome).

YeRcr1V.gif

Drencrom

Ok...now explain why Chloe is so good at kicking ass.

Not sure, she wasn't really that big of a fighter in UC2 or UC3. I guess she's been training a lot between UC3 and TLL aka ND didn't want Chloe (the player) to look bad in comparison with Nadine and put her on the same footing fighting-wise lol

Not sure, she wasn't really that big of a fighter in UC2 or UC3. I guess she's been training a lot between UC3 and TLL aka ND didn't want Chloe (the player) to look bad in comparison with Nadine and put her on the same footing fighting-wise lol
Maybe she spars with kangaroos in her spare time.

yuoke

Banned
just finished and man, this might be the best uncharted game? it's everything i dug about 4 with better set pieces, slightly diluted 2 pacing, and easily the best final chapter in the series.

i would say it was too short but frankly i'd rather a game leave me wanting more than outstay its welcome. i just hope this serves as a blueprint for the series going forward, whoever the protagonist is (but chloe was awesome).

Who knows if there will be anymore uncharted though? ND says this is it. At the least, it will be the last one for a long time since after TLOU2, there will either be maybe one more, or a new series after.

I could see a reboot way later with
cassie, but I honestly don't want to see that. Nate and elena don't want her getting into that, but the door is kind of opened with her finding out at the end of 4.

Who knows if there will be anymore uncharted though? ND says this is it. At the least, it will be the last one for a long time since after TLOU2, there will either be maybe one more, or a new series after.

The leads of The Lost Legacy recently said they'd be open to making more if fans wanted it iirc

LiK

ND said they're interested in making more UC. Never say never. If they have a story to tell, it will happen.

-griffy-

Banned
They pretty overtly set the stage for more games starring Chloe and Nadine. Nate's story is done. Uncharted doesn't necessarily need to be done.

yuoke

Banned
I'd totally be open to it if they can make good stories. I don't want to see anything forced though. Plus honestly 3 and 4 is when they started to probably do a little too much background info about nate. I don't really want to see everything that happened to nadine and chloe in the past. Just fun adventures, along with sam.

MauroNL

I just started playing this on my OG PS4, does anyone else notice the dithering shadows or is it just me? I notice it quite a lot and I can't remember UC4 having this? (that much at least) I took some off-screen photos to show what I mean.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That kinds of bugs me or makes me think abit.
Mainly because of Nadine, she was an unstoppable force in U4 not even Nate and Sam could handle her, here not so much.

Wow just beat this. What a god damn ride!
Nadine and Chloe are such an awesome pairing.

Crazy what ND pulled off making this in less than a year.

I don't want Uncharted dead long term after beating this. Couple years off sure but hopefully ND have more stories to tell in the future.

The leads of The Lost Legacy recently said they'd be open to making more if fans wanted it iirc

I'd love to see these leads get a 2-3 year cycle to work on a completely fresh UC game with this cast and the same core values (tighter momentum based pacing, better puzzles, pulpy spelunking, grand structures and mechanisms). I didn't think this franchise had much life left in it before TLL, but the energy in this game brought it all back for me.

tootie923

Mainly because of Nadine, she was an unstoppable force in U4 not even Nate and Sam could handle her, here not so much.

I guess they had to tone Nadine down so things wouldn't be too easy for them. They made it a point to say
Asav probably wore his glasses as an affectation to mask that he was a deadly fighter.
Plus it made for some good brawls in the game.

Venuspower

TL:DR, don't play on Crushing. Just don't do it. It is complete BS, and even the devs know it, hence why they let you cheat and still get a trophy. I love this game, but Crushing difficulty sucks ass. Hard may provide a better experience due to still allowing you to mark enemies, although I really do get the impression that the only difficulty ND balanced this game for was Normal. Crushing is where everything just falls apart, sadly.

IMHO Crushing is really well balanced in TLL.
Of course it is hard and at some points you need a lot of attempts (say hi to the APC). Especially when you are playing it for the first time. But I never had the feeling that crushing is unfair or annyoing.
UC4 on crushing on the other hand is really unfair at some points.

I think thats probably because she has been out of the business for a few months.

TsuWave

Finally finished it. brilliant. top 2 uncharted game and one of the instances where the dlc is better than the main game/titled entry

chloe > lara croft.

hell, even nadine's awesome and the chloe+nadine combo > drake+sully.

can't believe i got this as part of the season pass. robbery. shoutout to ND

TsuWave

I'd love to see these leads get a 2-3 year cycle to work on a completely fresh UC game with this cast and the same core values (tighter momentum based pacing, better puzzles, pulpy spelunking, grand structures and mechanisms). I didn't think this franchise had much life left in it before TLL, but the energy in this game brought it all back for me.

pretty much my thoughts.

This game plays remarkably well in no-HUD mode.

You get no aiming reticule, whether looking down the sights or not, but you're still fully capable of spraying and walking your targets. Picking up items is tougher, but as long as you spam the button a lil bit when near a downed enemy you should be able to stay equipped. And the way combat works, if your weapon runs out of ammo, you can melee somebody to automatically take their weapon. Nice touch, especially when running No-HUD.

Lockpicking is rumble and sound based so you don't need the UI. Perfect.

If you want to swing on vines you have to keep an eye out for them - there's no everpresent icon getting in the way of these vistas. Perfect.

So far, replaying this has been great. Collected all the tokens on my first playthrough so I've got the special item to help on this second run - and I don't have to worry about completing the aiming/bell token challenge without a HUD.

Props for including the mode and making it so playable. My only gripe is that weapon optics should still show up when looking down the scope in marksman rifles, but that's it. Highly recommended (for a second or third playthrough).

Yeah I was okay saying goodbye to the series after 4, but the ending of TLL brought back all those vibes I felt after Uncharted 2 where I was brimming with possibilities for where the series could go next. These guys are probably hungry for more and I bet could do some real wild shit with a full-fledged Uncharted.

Servbot24

Banned
The graphics I thought were pretty on par with UC4 although UC4 had slightly better animations. There were a couple awkward motions in TLL that stood out especially with bumping into Nadine (and a bug with the camera getting stuck where I had to reload the game). Super nitpicky - all in all I think the games are quite close in terms of polish.

I loved chapter 4. Felt like an organic treasure hunt, especially since I found the first three tokens before finding the deposit area. It was basically like, "this area looks cool. Let me check it out... Wow, there's a hidden puzzle here!"

Loved it.

I could see a reboot way later with
cassie, but I honestly don't want to see that. Nate and elena don't want her getting into that, but the door is kind of opened with her finding out at the end of 4.

i believe naughty dog when they say they won't be making any more, but i feel like this game really sets up the series for different takes from new developers. now that the canonical series isn't tied to nathan drake, we know what it's like to get a game with other characters that still undeniably feels like uncharted.

granted, it's going to be a high bar in terms of writing and production values. but the brand is far too strong for sony to let it die, so i have no doubt we'll see another in the not-too-far-off future.

i'd be down for a full-length game starring chloe, or a totally new character in the universe, or whatever. i think lost legacy's seemingly universally positive reception makes it a lot easier to imagine a whole bunch of possibilities.

Servbot24

Banned
Is there a post that explains your point of view? I'd love to read it :p

Yeah I forget where though.

Basically my argument was that pacing is a tool that can be used to achieve different emotions. An uncomfortably slow moment can be used to convey to the audience what a character is feeling - in UC4's case, Nate's longing for a return to adventure that he was trying to suppress. I also said that the interaction between Nate and Sam felt a bit unnatural and uneasy compared to Nate and Sully. Now maybe that's because ND suddenly forgot how to write characters, but I think it's more likely that this was intentionally used as a tool to convey that Nate was forcing himself into a world he no longer belongs in and it was unnatural compared to how it used to be for him; it gives that sunken feeling of "this isn't where I should be". I think if Nate and Sam were having a jolly time with bubbly chemistry it would have been in contrast with the theme of the game and with the history of their relationship.

Of course the responses took that as me saying "they made it bad on purpose which is somehow a good thing" :p

kikiribu

After my second playthrough, this has become my favorite Uncharted. It's just perfect. I love Nadine's character so much. When she finally decides to have a sense of humor she's really funny and messed up. Chloe's character development is brilliant. Between this and Horizon, I don't know which one's my GOTY.

Servbot24

Banned
After my second playthrough, this has become my favorite Uncharted. It's just perfect. I love Nadine's character so much. When she finally decides to have a sense of humor she's really funny and messed up. Between this and Horizon, I don't know which one's my GOTY.

I like how literal she is sometimes too, it's a nice contrast to all the sarcastic characters.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is there a post that explains your point of view? I'd love to read it :p

I am pretty sure it was this post of his. i remember reading it and making fun of it. had no idea it would get the poor guy a tag. lol

I think people don't realize that a lot of the "faults" of the game are intentional. For example Sam not gelling with Nate. That's on purpose. Sam is bad for Drake, they have a strained relationship, and having been reunited after a long time they are awkward together and not really clicking. That's why when they're together you feel a little bit uneasy. You may simply not enjoy being told a story about a severed relationship, but your enjoyment of a story isn't really an indicator of the quality of the story.

Same goes for the pacing. It's slow because Nate's life is slow. Slow to a degree he's not really comfortable with.

Things like this are some of the reasons this game is ahead of its time and won't be appreciated for a while. Not that it's super advanced story-telling or anything, but gamers are used to being catered to and being given gamer-y things. The unease of reunions is not gamer-y, and communicating unease through tools like pacing is very not gamer-y.

shandy706

FINALLY dusting off my PS4 to get to this game. Sat down and have sat through a system update, a Horizon update, and now just waiting on this to download. 😂😂

Come ooooooooon

No idea why it says 3 hours and 12 hours though. At 1.5 gig in like 15 minutes now.

SlickVic

I like how the dialogue changes a bit depending on how a scenario goes down. Without spoiling much, there's a part where Chloe and Nadine get the drop on 2 enemies and it enters the classic trope of 'you take one and I'll take the other'. Except if you don't do it quick enough, Nadine winds up taking down both of them down herself and I believe Chloe makes a light comment on how efficient Nadine is. Out of curiosity I reloaded the checkpoint and this time made sure to get to one of the enemies before Nadine could, and she comments something along the lines of 'you know I had that under control right'.

It's not a huge moment or anything, but I just appreciate the polish of having different dialog recorded reacting to what the player did or did not do.

george_us

Nadine seems just as beastly as she does in Uncharted 4. She takes out common soldiers with relative ease. It's just that Asav is the only Uncharted antagonist (that I can think of) who's an absolute monster when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. He would have easily handed both Drake brothers' their asses if they fought.

psychotron

I like how the dialogue changes a bit depending on how a scenario goes down. Without spoiling much, there's a part where Chloe and Nadine get the drop on 2 enemies and it enters the classic trope of 'you take one and I'll take the other'. Except if you don't do it quick enough, Nadine winds up taking down both of them down herself and I believe Chloe makes a light comment on how efficient Nadine is. Out of curiosity I reloaded the checkpoint and this time made sure to get to one of the enemies before Nadine could, and she comments something along the lines of 'you know I had that under control right'.

It's not a huge moment or anything, but I just appreciate the polish of having different dialog recorded reacting to what the player did or did not do.

Same thing happens if you climb the tower after finding all the things you need in
chapter 4
. Instead of showing you the way, Chloe makes comments about what happened after you got to each location. It was a fantastic touch. She also remarks to Nadine how it showed you all the places you've already been. Nadine says that at least it was a nice view.

SlickVic

Same thing happens if you climb the tower after finding all the things you need in
chapter 4
. Instead of showing you the way, Chloe makes comments about what happened after you got to each location. It was a fantastic touch. She also remarks to Nadine how it showed you all the places you've already been. Nadine says that at least it was a nice view.

Yeah that's pretty neat. I went to Token temple before the tower and liked how Chloe commented on having already been there rather than a standard line of "wonder what that place is all about". I'm guessing at least some of this comes out of observing people play the game in QA, but it's kind of cool to see developers run through the different order people go through different parts of the game and then write and record dialogue that reacts to those choices. It's not necessarily about making a game where "choices matter", but it makes the game feel more personal and reactive to what the player is doing even in these smaller moments, which I really like.

Tyaren

Nadine seems just as beastly as she does in Uncharted 4. She takes out common soldiers with relative ease. It's just that Asav is the only Uncharted antagonist (that I can think of) that's an absolute monster when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. He would have easily handed both Drake brothers' their asses if they fought.

Yep, Nadine is still very capable, that's why Asav warns one of his men to not get too close to her. He however isn't afraid to get very close to her a second later, for the simple reason that he knows only he is able to take her on. That's already cleverly established at a very early point in the game.

JP

Completed it for the first time and thought it was absolutely fantastic. I would have been very happy to have paid full price for this but having it included with the digital deluxe edition makes it quite possibly the best value game that I've played.

I was slight;y concerned about the banter between the two main characters after watching a gameplay video a couple of weeks ago but it seemed spot on whilst playing it.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I complete it the second time but I did feel that maybe (last big event spoiler)
the train chase went on a little longer than it should have.
It's difficult to complain about it and it's quite possible that I'll change my mind next time but that's what it felt like when I was playing it.

I really need to have that silenced pistol added to the main game now but maybe only have it as an unlockable for people who have played the game because it will change it quite a bit. I would have liked it more often in this but I can use it when I want on any following playthroughs.

I never really agreed with the Tomb Raider/Uncharted comparisons were are so often thrown around on places like here but I'll be damned if this isn't the first of them that has actually felt like a Tomb Raider should feel, for me. Not only that but it's by far the best Tomb Raider game there's been for absolutely years. The upcoming Tomb Raider game really needs to learn from this game as I've been so disappointed with the last couple of attempts as they did feel like they were trying to be Uncharted in some ways but they never quite got there so Naughty Dog always had the best Uncharted style game and now, for me, they also have the best Tomb Raider style game.

So happy to have played this, particularly at the stupid price that I paid for it. Wonderful game.

Dat hair product commercial is already done

Yup.

they did it, bruh

I didn't think they could, but they did it

LL really seems like the best possible sequel for everyone. Actually follows through on the attempted exploration half-measure of 4, makes good use of the dialogue/banter, does clever stuff with the traversal (e.g. that well cover), has adequate amount of combat arenas, the action chapter in the series, characters more regularly comment on artifacts and environments, actual tangible rewards for exploration and completing optional encounters (ones that affect gameplay, like the extra weapons) ...

It feels like someone at ND was going through one of my disparaging posts about 4 and was like "okay ... you'll see. Yeah ... you'll see."

Nadine seems just as beastly as she does in Uncharted 4. She takes out common soldiers with relative ease. It's just that Asav is the only Uncharted antagonist (that I can think of) that's an absolute monster when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. He would have easily handed both Drake brothers' their asses if they fought.

I'd say Lazarevic would be up there as well. When you fight him as Nate the best you can do when he melees you is escape and run away. But while
Nate beats Lazarevic by luring him into explosions, Chloe and Nadine beat Asav by teaming up to beat the shit out of him. Much more satisfying that way.

Top Bottom