• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Trophies Detailed - Europe and North America Patch Up

Agent X

To receive Trophies in Uncharted you will have to start a brand new save game without any medals or rewards unlocked.

Hmm, I guess that means I have to erase my existing save. Oh well, I suppose I could always back it up to a USB drive for posterity.

What happens if you load in an old save file after the patch? Will it let you resume your game anyway (in case you're not interested in PSN trophies)?

IGN: Do you wish to take this time and formally announce Uncharted 2: The Search for Atlantis? =)

Arne Meyer: Hey, look at the time, gotta run!

Oh, no you don't! Don't let him get away, GAFfers. Hold him down and make him talk! :D

Oh no, people might use save games to get trophies that they didn't deserve!

Why such a big fuss about trophy whoring? It's not like the trophies translate into real-world currency or anything. Ah well, I've been meaning to play Uncharted again, so I guess this is as good a time as any. Having to replay Crushing will suck, though.

And I'm a bit confused about one of the answers Amy gives. Do I have to completely erase my Uncharted save file if I want to receive trophies, or can I just create a new file?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Just in case u didnt notice, there is a small video of a trophy being unlocked in uncharted on that IGN page.

So, remind me where all those relics are located again...
Yeah, that looked a bit... underwhelming. Nice looking medal tag first, then the generic looking trophy tag.

I wonder if you use a custom theme, will it pick up the popup window skin? I think it does pick it up wen you receive in-game messages, but the rest of in-game XMB reverts to the basic look.

Also, playing from total scratch to unlock trophies is something I knew was going to happen. No cheats available for that crushing playthrough... Hell, no Crushing available...

Jack Scofield said:

Why such a big fuss about trophy whoring? It's not like the trophies translate into real-world currency or anything
If I had to guess, they are doing this to sell more copies of the game. If they leave trophies be that super-easily obtainable, one hour rental would suffice.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Greg said:
Fucking stupid.

I'd gladly play the game through once, but I don't have enough fucking time to play new games more than once, let alone games I've already beaten 4+ times.
Just admit it. You will beat it a 5th and 6th time because you can't resist the allure of polished pixel gold and platinum.

Cronox

Banned
The sad thing is, trophies means the end of trade-able saves on PS3. I mean, if I just wanted to play with all the unlocked guns from MGS4 I could download a save from gamefaqs and have some fun. From what Naughty Dog seems to be saying, that will no longer be the case in newer games. Once trophies are in, we even might start seeing saves that can't be copied to another hard drive or transferred in any way, like on the 360 (prior to the hard drive transfer cable).

Greg

DenogginizerOS said:
Just admit it. You will beat it a 5th and 6th time because you can't resist the allure of polished pixel gold and platinum.
If Stardust is any indication, I won't.

However, I fail at Stardust and I'm amazing at Uncharted. :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cronox said:
The sad thing is, trophies means the end of trade-able saves on PS3.
That's not the case. The save file data has nothing do to with the way trophies work. Their unlocking is from what I understand saved into a separate file and has to be synced online. Copy protection of dave files can only have some significance for the retroactive trpohy patches.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Cronox said:
Once trophies are in, we even might start seeing saves that can't be copied to another hard drive or transferred in any way, like on the 360 (prior to the hard drive transfer cable).

doubt you won't be able to copy them. I believe Burnout Paradise's saves are locked to your psn name and those are freely able to be transferred to a usb stick/backed up. now if you want to play on a separate psn account...there's your problem.

arne

Agent X said:
Hmm, I guess that means I have to erase my existing save. Oh well, I suppose I could always back it up to a USB drive for posterity.

What happens if you load in an old save file after the patch? Will it let you resume your game anyway (in case you're not interested in PSN trophies)?

in that case it won't let you get any trophies for save games prior to the patch. you can still get medals, but it won't give you the corresponding trophy. so you can play your old save to your hearts delight.

Jack Scofield said:

Why such a big fuss about trophy whoring? It's not like the trophies translate into real-world currency or anything. Ah well, I've been meaning to play Uncharted again, so I guess this is as good a time as any. Having to replay Crushing will suck, though.

And I'm a bit confused about one of the answers Amy gives. Do I have to completely erase my Uncharted save file if I want to receive trophies, or can I just create a new file?

well, if you can use save games to get trophies then it devalues the entire system it's based on and all the work to put them into the system and in games would be wasted development time (=money).

also, it's NOT Amy. grrr. do i need to change my name or something? haha.

you should be able to just start a brand new save file without erasing the old ones. you'll just have to be vigilant to use your new(er) saved game to keep getting trophies.

Agent X

Cronox said:
The sad thing is, trophies means the end of trade-able saves on PS3. I mean, if I just wanted to play with all the unlocked guns from MGS4 I could download a save from gamefaqs and have some fun. From what Naughty Dog seems to be saying, that will no longer be the case in newer games. Once trophies are in, we even might start seeing saves that can't be copied to another hard drive or transferred in any way, like on the 360 (prior to the hard drive transfer cable).

That's a good point. I'd like to know what would happen if I decide to upgrade my hard drive, or if my system breaks and I have to purchase a new one to replace it.

The ideal situation would be to allow the save files to be copied, but trophies would be bound to your PSN ID. You could back up your saves, bring them to your friend's house, and whatnot, but trophies will only work if you happen to be logged into the same PSN ID that was used to create the save file in the first place. I think Burnout Paradise is doing something like this.

arne said:

Whoops, when I read the OP I thought it said "Amy" for some reason. Maybe I was just assuming the person speaking would be Amy Hennig. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :D

angelfly

Agent X said:
That's a good point. I'd like to know what would happen if I decide to upgrade my hard drive, or if my system breaks and I have to purchase a new one to replace it.

The ideal situation would be to allow the save files to be copied, but trophies would be bound to your PSN ID. You could back up your saves, bring them to your friend's house, and whatnot, but trophies will only work if you happen to be logged into the same PSN ID that was used to create the save file in the first place. I think Burnout Paradise is doing something like this.

If you update your hard drive the backup tool can copy saves that can't manually be copied.

Grayman

arne said:
in that case it won't let you get any trophies for save games prior to the patch. you can still get medals, but it won't give you the corresponding trophy. so you can play your old save to your hearts delight.

well, if you can use save games to get trophies then it devalues the entire system it's based on and all the work to put them into the system and in games would be wasted development time (=money).

you should be able to just start a brand new save file without erasing the old ones. you'll just have to be vigilant to use your new(er) saved game to keep getting trophies.
If a person does this will crushing be available for their first trophy active game?

interesting, is the new save going to be locked then? I hope they could do something like Criterion did with Burnout so you can still move the save but its locked to your PSN account.

Agent X said:
Hmm, I guess that means I have to erase my existing save.

I hope not

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrTroubleMaker said:
interesting, is the new save going to be locked then?

I don't think it needs to. I guess patched Uncharted will simply reward you the trophies AS YOU UNLOCK THEM but still saves the game the "old way".

AmMortal

Banned
BeeDog said:
GIVE THE PATCH TO ME! rawr

8xr69v.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Justin Dailey said:
Has anyone upgraded their hard drive since getting Stardust achievements? What happened?

Early reports: OMG my trophiz am disappeared???!!
Later reports: Oh I played a bit and here they are again.

BeeDog

Justin Dailey said:
Has anyone upgraded their hard drive since getting Stardust achievements? What happened?

It seems they disappear first (locally), but start up the game again, and then compare your trophies with another PSN friend, and they'll sync back again.

maxax

Justin Dailey said:
I didn't, but here is what I heard happened:
Directly after the upgrade, the trophies didn't show up in the XMB trophy tab anymore, only on the profile card. After a few days though, everything was back to normal.

Seems it just takes some time for it to synch with your online profile. Nothing is getting lost in the process.

jmd494

Thanks...that's awesome...

I'm about to try upgrading to the 500GB Samsung drive...

I hope it doesn't max out at like 300 GB though

maxax

Justin Dailey said:
Thanks...that's awesome...

I'm about to try upgrading to the 500GB Samsung drive...

I hope it doesn't max out at like 300 GB though
I'm getting a 250 Samsung this weekend. I hope it'll be enough for the next few years. :)
And from what I heard, it doesn't max out at anything. Supposedly the PS3 takes a pretty big chunk for itself and does whatever with it though.
I heard from people with a 250 GB drive ending up with 203/232 GB after a clean format.

jmd494

maxax said:
I'm getting a 250 Samsung this weekend. I hope it'll be enough for the next few years. :)
And from what I heard, it doesn't max out at anything. Supposedly the PS3 takes a pretty big chunk for itself and does whatever with it though.
I heard from people with a 250 GB drive ending up with 203/232 GB after a clean format.
Cool, thanks...

and wtf at IGN saying "very, very soon" if August 22nd is true?

I'm sorry but 24 days in not "very, very soon" in the video game world.

Justin Dailey said:
Cool, thanks...

and wtf at IGN saying "very, very soon" if August 22nd is true?

I'm sorry but 24 days in not "very, very soon" in the video game world.

Arne already said it wasn't the 22nd.

Maybe it's sooner? :D

Probably not, but I can hope, right?

jmd494

Private Hoffman said:
Arne already said it wasn't the 22nd.

Maybe it's sooner? :D

Probably not, but I can hope, right?
Well he did say it took a month to develop (past tense). If not for that August 22nd link, I'd say it would be out any day now (this week or next).

maxax

Justin Dailey said:
Well he did say it took a month to develop (past tense). If not for that August 22nd link, I'd say it would be out any day now (this week or next).
I stumbled over this as well, he said something like "it took a month to develop and release the patch", which sounds like it's already on its way to PSN.

Lince

Banned
although I've already achieved 100% in Uncharted whatever excuse is a valid excuse to replay the best game of the generation :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
A new uncharted save file and having to get all the medals again? No thanks, I don't care that much.

andycapps

Ok, I was replaying this again, but I guess I'll stop until the trophy patch is released. Can't wait to start unlocking trophies in this!

hulot

Good reason to replay. So Burnout saves are locked only to a single PSN ID? If that is the case, perhaps it's how all trophy games will be going forward.

Evander

"industry expert"
This type of portability would have allowed gamers to get Trophies unfairly and we couldn't let that happen.

Boo for trophies being treated as a competition.

Who the fuck cares if some one cheats for their trophies?

BeeDog

Evander said:
Boo for trophies being treated as a competition.

Who the fuck cares if some one cheats for their trophies?

Depends. No one knows it your trophy level will have a future impact in Home, for example (like higher levels unlock certain furniture or whatever).

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
n8SMASH said:
how could you not? this game is awesome and worth a many replays
Already played through it three times dude. I'll play through it again someday too, but it won't be for trophies. I'm not giving up my slo-mo for that.

zoukka

It's fun to see how much Sony fans crave for these :) The next new game that has trophies will probably sell like 200% more just because of massive virtual dick rubbage that will commence :D

Fuck Uncharted, where are my MGS4 trophies!? I need an excuse to play it through again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Steroyd said:
Playing a fresh new save on Crushing Difficulty hmmm.
Can you even do that? If you start a new game from scratch (by removing save files so that all your medals and treasures are removed) you won't even be able to select Crushing difficulty, and you can for sure forget about unlocked cheats as well.

I dunno. I love this game so much, and I don't want it to turn into a chore in my mind by completing *everything* I already completed again. It's probably better if I just ignore this update :\

Evander

"industry expert"
BeeDog said:
Depends. No one knows it your trophy level will have a future impact in Home, for example (like higher levels unlock certain furniture or whatever).

If it does that is kind of dumb.

It's all a bunch of virtual furniture. If some one cares THAT MUCH to go through the trouble of cheating it, who really gets a shit if they didn't really earn that chair in their apartment?

I'm just not a fan of forced competition. Let games have leader-boards, for the competetive types, and leave me my achievements/trophies as just an incentive to play deeper into the game; nothing more.

Agent X

Evander said:
It's all a bunch of virtual furniture. If some one cares THAT MUCH to go through the trouble of cheating it, who really gets a shit if they didn't really earn that chair in their apartment?

I'm just not a fan of forced competition. Let games have leader-boards, for the competetive types, and leave me my achievements/trophies as just an incentive to play deeper into the game; nothing more.

There's already an in-game medal system. If you don't really care about online trophies, and only need "just an incentive to play deeper into the game; nothing more", then what are you complaining about?

Draft said:
Finally.

I'll buy Uncharted when the trophies are ready.

I realized, as I played through MGS4, how empty console games feel without a tiny, gray reminder of what I had just accomplished.

I'm not sure what we ever did without it, TBH. :)

Truth be told, I do find that I'm actually finishing more games these days then I used to. I suspect that has something to do with achievements/trophies systems.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
They need to give Lair and Heavenly Sword some trophies, and keep the prices and 30-40 bucks...make some of that money back sony! And yes I bought both of those games day 1.

Can't wait to play Uncharted again, superb game.

andycapps

Agent X said:
There's already an in-game medal system. If you don't really care about online trophies, and only need "just an incentive to play deeper into the game; nothing more", then what are you complaining about?

thisisneogafdude.gif

Top Bottom