• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unconfirmed: PS5 to have 664GB usable space

cormack12

Gold Member
On the back of the PS5 leaks in the sub, we now have caps.

Source: Reddit

pUMf6ta.png

4DiVE4V.png

A1zeGaY.png

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo once again being way ahead of the times by teaching us all how to keep that fridge clean.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's not a lot... and with expansion/replacement being expensive it's going to be a pain point for sure.

Better hope ps5 has a second slot so you can get by with a 1 tb nvme, because if you have to pony up for a 2tb 980 pro that's going to be expensive...

yurinka

2 of the shots feature a mouse cursor, I call it fake.

But regarding the available disk space I bet is going to be around that, probably a bit more.

Last edited:

martino

The only good thing about PS5 storage solution, you can add 2TB of fast nvme storage in a few months time

Whereas poor Series gamers are stuck at their 1TB, unless you constantly swap memory cards :messenger_grinning_sweat:
imo waking up and walk is innaceptable in 2020 and i'm only half joking (i'm that lazy)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The only good thing about PS5 storage solution, you can add 2TB of fast nvme storage in a few months time

Whereas poor Series gamers are stuck at their 1TB, unless you constantly swap memory cards :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You can do it right away with the new 980. It’s faster and cheaper than the XSX proprietary joint.

Orky

Banned

why bring series even into this thread? Is this thread about series? Lol

also, this is only for the Launch. Later on there will be bigger cards. And At least MS has a solution ready at launch so that anyone can get 2TB in total at launch.
How about Sony? Can you show me where and when I can buy a compatible drive for my PS5? 1TB is enough. Thanks. Would love to buy one actually.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Lines up with what we heard before right? That amount of storage in this day and age isn't good enough TBH.

But why is there a mouse cursor in the first and last screenshots?

Not clear, some have said its the rest of that video being watched and capped

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
why bring series even into this thread? Is this thread about series? Lol

also, this is only for the Launch. Later on there will be bigger cards. And At least MS has a solution ready at launch so that anyone can get 2TB in total at launch.
How about Sony? Can you show me where and when I can buy a compatible drive for my PS5? 1TB is enough. Thanks. Would love to buy one actually.

Not sure why you're laughing though, the PS5 SSD is more expensive than what Xbox is using, and you will be paying $225+ just for 1tb, never mind 2tb. Poor PS5 gamers won't be able to afford it regardless.

Dogman

Not sure why you're laughing though, the PS5 SSD is more expensive than what Xbox is using, and you will be paying $225+ just for 1tb, never mind 2tb. Poor PS5 gamers won't be able to afford it regardless.
$225 VS. $220 or 250 euros for the xbox card? For half the speed? lmao

T-Cake

2nd screen -
Подключитесь к сети Playstation Network для использования этой функции

Войти в сеть

Connect to Playstation Network to use this feature

Sign in​

3rd screen -
Игры и приложения Games and apps
Галерея мультимедиа Multimedia gallery
Сохраненные данные Saved data
Свободное место Free space

It all looks a bit too similar to PS4 if you ask me.

Last edited:

Holammer

System/OS and swap disk needs some space, maybe it is legit.
COD with Warzone is going to guzzle up a lion's share of that space

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope both consoles have a good baked in cold storage transfer system. Something better then digging thru menus to manually transfer stuff.

Orky

Banned

you do know that Sony will have to tell us if it’s supported or not right? You can’t just pop in any random storage solution, it’s not only about speed. Also about size and Heat dissipation etc.

I wouldn’t buy anything before Sony confirms that it will work otherwise you might waste your money.

Yea, that’s not good but what’s with the incredibly ugly UI? Holy shit, this disincentives me even more from buying this thing early.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
you do know that Sony will have to tell us if it’s supported or not right? You can’t just pop in any random storage solution, it’s not only about speed. Also about size and Heat dissipation etc.

I wouldn’t buy anything before Sony confirms that it will work otherwise you might waste your money.

Bookmark this post. The Samsung series will be confirmed. They are the best drives on the market, and I believe Samsung is what Sony is using internally.

Daffy Duck

Absolutely woeful. What a joke. Series X isn’t much better but at least I can use my 5Tb drive for my xbox games and swapping out games.

Last edited:
$225 VS. $220 or 250 euros for the xbox card? For half the speed? lmao

Why are you acting as if i know the actual price? I just threw out an estimate based on what i remember of the Xbox SSD price, i was a bit off. I'm not aware if the proprietary nature of the Xbox card makes it cost more to manufacture and sell, but it's safe to assume that a PS5 type SSD will either cost a little bit more, to a lot more. Are there even any PS5 compatible SSD's available yet that can match the spec and meet the requirements needed?

All that aside, we can all admit that both 600+ & 800+ gb's of storage is piss poor all in.

Eliciel

If that's the real UI, wow...god damn, that would look really bad. I can't really believe it..
However, I never play more than 2-3 games in parallel to be honest, the rule is rather 1-2.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Why are you acting as if i know the actual price? I just threw out an estimate based on what i remember of the Xbox SSD price, i was a bit off. I'm not aware if the proprietary nature of the Xbox card makes it cost more to manufacture and sell, but it's safe to assume that a PS5 type SSD will either cost a little bit more, to a lot more. Are there even any PS5 compatible SSD's available yet that can match the spec and meet the requirements needed?

All that aside, we can all admit that both 600+ & 800+ gb's of storage is piss poor all in.

You are paying just $399 to 499 for a full fledged gaming system with ssd.
Please be mindful.

If you cant add extra ssd storage if need be, who is piss poor? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Absolutely woeful. What a joke. Series X isn’t much better but at least I can use my 5Tb drive for my xbox games and swapping out games.

You can do the same on the PS5 (the game swapping from external, or play PS4 games off external as well).

Both consoles are doing pretty much the same thing in that regards.

Last edited:

Snake00

I guess a lot of that space is reserved for quick resume.
Suspending 5 games, if each takes up 12 gb of ram, would need 60 gb of disk space.

Top Bottom