• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unconfirmed: PS5 to have 664GB usable space

Barakov

On the back of the PS5 leaks in the sub, we now have caps.

Source: Reddit

pUMf6ta.png

4DiVE4V.png

A1zeGaY.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is very true, however I only have one 5Tb external drive lol, guess I’ll just be downloading any games if I want to play them.

I need to get me an external just for the PS4 games. I wonder if the USB C will take advantage of SSD externals for the PS5 with PS4 games for faster than mechanical load times, and faster than externals on the PS4.

yohan12

Where and when can I buy it? You do know that we need to wait for Sony to confirm it, right? You can’t just buy any storage solution.
They havent confirmed which drives are compatible yet

Last edited:
These small hard drive sizes are unacceptable. After a year, new games are going to be 100gb install, minimum. I don’t care if SSDs are faster. The downsides just aren’t worth it until it’s more affordable. This seems like the generation of compromises to me.

MarkMe2525

The only good thing about PS5 storage solution, you can add 2TB of fast nvme storage in a few months time

Whereas poor Series gamers are stuck at their 1TB, unless you constantly swap memory cards :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Lazy console warring post. SHAME!!!!!!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You can do the same on the PS5 (the game swapping from external, or play PS4 games off external as well).

Both consoles are doing pretty much the same thing in that regards.
I think I would prefer the PS5 method of expandable storage myself. I'm hoping MS partners with some other providers down the line to bring some competition to the market. The one and only advantage I can think of with xbox's solution, is if you own multiple consoles or go over a friend's house that has an xbox, it will be easier to move games around.

Edit for clarification: I'm referring to a situation where you keep games on the external card and can just pop it in your other Xbox.

Last edited:
We're trading size for speed this generation. After sitting thru Borderlands 3 loading times, I think it is worth it. SSD prices will go down and sizes go up over time, and a few years from now PS5 and Xbox Series will ship with larger SSD's for the same price.

chonga

2nd screen -
Подключитесь к сети Playstation Network для использования этой функции

Войти в сеть

Connect to Playstation Network to use this feature

Sign in​

3rd screen -
Игры и приложения Games and apps
Галерея мультимедиа Multimedia gallery
Сохраненные данные Saved data
Свободное место Free space

It all looks a bit too similar to PS4 if you ask me.
Especially when the UI lead said no pixel was left untouched and "it’s a whole new visual language and a complete rearchitecting of the user interface".

But yeah I'm sure in spite of that quote this PS4 XMB clone is legit...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fine by me, I don't need more than 664GB of games installed at once. Since I moved from PS4 to Pro, and from 500GB to 1TB, the only difference is really that I now keep more games installed that I don't actually play. I have a fast internet connection with no caps (plus I still buy most big titles on disc), so reinstalling isn't really a big hassle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can't hotswap the ssd on the ps5, guys need to get over it and accept the ps5 has been outclassed in every aspect and is having a xbone launch while series is poised to surpass the 360 era market share Japan is already up 82%

Do you know how installing and switching out an additional SSD works on the PS5? Because I don't. Are you under the impression that you will be switching out the stock SSD, like you do with the HDD on a PS4? If so you are misinformed. You add an additional SSD, the stock one is not replaceable.

Kerotan

No, the internal one is soldered on for PS5 and there is an expansion slot.....somewhere.
That is absolutely fantastic. I bought a 1.5TB for the ps4 and because it was 500gb it was only a 1TB upgrade. And then when I put it into my pro and the upgrade was only 500gb. Now whatever I buy it's a pure upgrade.

Is the xbox the same?

fersnake

love how ppl are shocked on how drive space works. now go watch your pen drives your computers and have a meltdown.

reinking

Gold Member
Both the PS5 and the Series S better have some really good optimizations for storage this gen. Even the Series X is not going to be in much better shape. At least both companies provide and upgrade path.

Ozrimandias

Awesome company, it's saving us money.

1.- The games now cost 69,99
2.- With little space and high prices you can not spend much money on games

That is a consumer-friendly Sony

Suck on that xbox fanboys haha, how bout THAT Phil?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1tb drive same price there and no price for 2tb

Yes, the drive is way faster, will have much higher endurance, and it’s the same price.

that’s the point, that’s a high-end drive since it’s a Pro series, and it’s the same price of a slower proprietary Seagate.

So non Pro models and other brands that don’t charge the Samsung premium, will probably in the $150-$180 range when they come out with those speeds.

You can do it right away with the new 980. It’s faster and cheaper than the XSX proprietary joint.
Not exactly, the Series X SSD is 2.4 GB/s sustained, the 980 Pro is 2 GB/s sustained. Sure the 980 Pro has much higher peak speed but that's not even remotely the point or design of the Series X SSD.

The Series X SSD is intentionally limited to sustained operation so you get consistent performance at all times and in all use cases, it's predictable, and this is also good for developers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes, the drive is way faster, will have much higher endurance, and it’s the same price.

that’s the point, that’s a high-end drive since it’s a Pro series, and it’s the same price of a slower proprietary Seagate.

So non Pro models and other brands that don’t charge the Samsung premium, will probably in the $150-$180 range when they come out with those speeds.

how do you know it’s higher endurance?

Esca

In the ballpark of what i was expecting if it's true.
In reality the space probably isn't an issue in just fucking lazy and want to keep at much of my library installed that I can

smbu2000

What about them?

The 970 Pro is 7GB read

The cheaper 970 Evo should also be 7GB or just slightly slower

Edit - Meant 980 not 970
The 980 Pro is effectively the Evo version this time as it is using TLC to keep costs down, but it does affect speed (after the SLC cache runs out) and lifetime Write Endurance which is half that of the previous Pro so it will not last as long.

Previously PRO meant MLC (higher performance and longer usable life, but more expensive) and EVO meant TLC (generally fast speed and lower cost, but a shorter lifespan aka write endurance)

That’s why even the “older and slower” 970 Pro can beat out/or come close to the performance of this 980 “Pro” despite being limited to PCIe 3.0.

What will the Evo bring? It is hard to say as this 980 Pro is an Evo.

Along with the X this really isn't good enough.

In a world of 100gb+ games both companies needed to give us a proper amount of storage.

Even if it was 1.2tb solution to give us 1tb of useable storage would be better.

Transferring from external to internal will be the way forward for me on xbox, I hope it's less menus than the current process.

The only good thing about PS5 storage solution, you can add 2TB of fast nvme storage in a few months time

Whereas poor Series gamers are stuck at their 1TB, unless you constantly swap memory cards :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The 2TB addition will cost more than the PS5 DE, but yes. Personally, I would rather get a 2nd PS5 for the kids and for when friends come over for some online multiplayer fun. :messenger_beaming:

Stop jumping to conclusions. This is obiviously coming from a Devkit, and I really doubt Sony would pack in a full 1TB uber fast hardrives into all their devkits (since you don't need that much space if you're only going to run compressed dev builds of a single game) , as it would be wasted space for game development purpose. Likewise, it's pretty much a give than devkits would reserve more of the HDD than retail units, to account for all of the dev tools needed. So yeah, I'm guessing it's 750 GB SSD or something, or that if it's an 1GB drive, the used space is because of the dev tools and the actual OS on retail hardware will take way less space.

That Said , I do agree in this day and age it should be illegal to sell hard drives that do not contain the advertised space. I know it's because of bytes sizes conversion and all that , but why can't they sell slightly larger drives that , upon conversion to the computer's file system, will have the size you paid for is beyond me... There's nothing more frustrating than buying an 1 TB HD only to notice the thing is 70 GB short of target because of bytes conversion.

Last edited:
So it has 14GB more than the 650GB leaked but i think day 1 update will erase that 14GB extra storage so 650GB of usable storage will be correct.

Last edited:

psn

The problem is not 664GB, the problem is that shitgames like Modern Warfare 2019 take up 226GB on my PC SSD.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it makes sense with having Astrobot's Playroom game preinstalled. So it's 802GB in XSX and 664GB with a preinstalled game. As it is, it's a 138GB difference (gross difference is 199GB "1,024GB vs 825GB") without putting into account Astrobot's Playroom size.

Last edited:

FrankWza

These small hard drive sizes are unacceptable. After a year, new games are going to be 100gb install, minimum. I don’t care if SSDs are faster. The downsides just aren’t worth it until it’s more affordable. This seems like the generation of compromises to me.

This reads like a twitter comment. Bad take

leo-j

Sorry but, they need some better compression tech. How nintendo can get the entirety of BOTW to like 13 GB. And Mario Odyssey so like 6GB and those games are full HD and just as big or bigger than a game like CALL OF DUTY. How is it a 90GB of a games difference?

Andodalf

Banned
Sorry but, they need some better compression tech. How nintendo can get the entirety of BOTW to like 13 GB. And Mario Odyssey so like 6GB and those games are full HD and just as big or bigger than a game like CALL OF DUTY. How is it a 90GB of a games difference?

Call of Duty has far, far, far more assets, especially with all the post launch content, and in much higher fidelity.

Every launch has been like that. Larger storage space comes later and cheaper
Games were not 2/5ths of the device storage when ps4 was released
most people are only going to be able to install Cod/Spiderman/Assassins creed and then they will be wondering a week later where they are gonna fit cyberpunk

Top Bottom