• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

underrated Disney animated films

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanW

I would a say A Goofy Movie not because people dislike but because they forgot about it. I still pull up Stand Out and Eye to Eye and jam to it on the way to class

zeemumu

Pocahontas, Herc, and Hunchback. They're never listed with the second golden age quartet (Mermaid, Aladdin, B&B, Lion King) even though the whole group make up an amazing series of films imo.

People just seem to love those four and Mulan. Lol

Maybe. Animation and song-wise they're on par with those four and villain-wise they nearly surpass those four (at least Hercules and Hunchback do) but story and character-wise I can see how people might consider them to be a bit weaker. It's kind of like how Pinnochio and Dumbo are to Sleeping Beauty.

JJH

ebf1544a530cf3c8028d63e94fd4100e.jpg

At least in my eyes. I see hardly any merchandise or exposure for FATH. Been to Disney World a dozen times and I can't find a single merchandise for my all time favorite Disney animation :(

zeemumu

Milo's Return is a tv pilot though, salvaged as a movie sequel.

There's that, Return of Jafar (it did get a tv series so I guess I'll let that pass), a Tarzan sequel (same as Aladdin), a Beauty and the Beast sequel, and at least one Cinderella sequel that are all pilots.

Litan

A Goofy Movie.

It's never talked about, but stars one of Disney most iconic characters.

It's a friggin masterpiece!
I don't think I've watched any movie as much as this one. My brothers and I would finish watching it, rewind the tape and go again. We loved that shit.

Voror

I've always had a fondness for The Great Mouse Detective. I feel like that one is largely considered quite good though I suppose not as well known.

I really like Treasure Planet too, but feel that one has more problems. It's been a while since I saw it but the particular thing that comes to mind is the robot that shows up as he's just irritating and barely adds anything.

Could Robin Hood be considered underrated? At least it's my favorite from the cheap-ass xerox era. Definitely one of my childhood faves.

26a1d159-7193-49fa-b915-4773910354ad.gif

Robin Hood gets my vote, it feels like most people forgot that it existed but it remains one of my favourites.

Osahi

Was Tangled even underrated? I recall it doing well, and it has a good amount of merchandise.

People seem to forget it when they talk about the new Disney golden age.

I would also add Princess and the Frog btw. For all it's faults, I really enjoyed that one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's that, Return of Jafar (it did get a tv series so I guess I'll let that pass), a Tarzan sequel (same as Aladdin), a Beauty and the Beast sequel, and at least one Cinderella sequel that are all pilots.

Tarzan sequel wasn't related to the animated series though. It actually two direct to video releases - the sequel which is pretty much pointless since it's about Tarzan's youth, and three unaired/never released episodes of the animated series.

For BatB and Cinderella, they were "three stories tied into one" that weren't meant to be a pilot but more of a Disney Princess thing.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Rescuers Down Under. First Disney movie to move to full digital production under the CAPS system. The camera does utterly insane things you'd never seen in an animated movie before.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really liked Bolt but I haven't seen it in nearly a decade.

Could Robin Hood be considered underrated? At least it's my favorite from the cheap-ass xerox era. Definitely one of my childhood faves.

I wish there was some sort of push to get these movies something between a remake and a remaster. Like use the same base animation, but remake it with cleaner lines, and give the whole thing better audio design, scene transitioning, and soundtrack cues. The animation on this era of movies is undoubtedly feature film quality, but everything around it seems rushed and undercooked.

70's Disney animation is an interesting case study in how really impressive animation can be sabotaged by cutting corners everywhere else.

People seem to forget it when they talk about the new Disney golden age.

I would also add Princess and the Frog btw. For all it's faults, I really enjoyed that one.

Princess and the Frog I would consider underrated, but I feel Tangled is popular/successful enough.

GCX

A theater near me has been screening the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie pretty much every weekend since its release. That has to be some kind of record.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
A Goofy Movie and Bolt would be my top two. I2I and Stand Out are two of the best songs that have ever been in a Disney movie.

For all the crap The Hunchback of Notre Dame gets for those annoying gargoyles, it really is a very well written film with great themes of bigotry, religious hypocrisy, corruption of government, and perception. Even those gargoyles work in concept, as figments of Quasimodo's imagination that let the audience look into his mind.

It's not a perfect film, especially with the sharp contrast between the lowbrow humor and an extremely dark plot for a kids movie, but I appreciate the attempt at doing something more grounded and mature than what most Disney films had been up to that point.

A theater near me has been screening the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie pretty much every weekend since its release. That has to be some kind of record.
Not sure about western movies, but there's an Indian movie that's been in theaters for over 20 years since its original release (I think it's still playing in at least one theater).

ebf1544a530cf3c8028d63e94fd4100e.jpg

At least in my eyes. I see hardly any merchandise or exposure for FATH. Been to Disney World a dozen times and I can't find a single merchandise for my all time favorite Disney animation :(
Oh my god when they voices of the kids come in at the end of that film, the tears well up in my eyes. They just wanted to be friends, dammit!

I'm too old for anything that I've seen and loved to be considered underrated. I mean, Pinocchio was my favorite growing up and everyone knows how good that is. Sleeping Beauty is recognized for its amazing artwork and villain.

I missed out on the Atlantis and Treasure Island films, so I'll have to check them out.

Phu

Banned
Goofy Movie, Emperor's New Groove, Winnie the Pooh 2011, Fox and the Hound, Atlantis...

I'm on the same wavelength as the rest of this thread.

jett

D-Member
I wish there was some sort of push to get these movies something between a remake and a remaster. Like use the same base animation, but remake it with cleaner lines, and give the whole thing better audio design, scene transitioning, and soundtrack cues. The animation on this era of movies is undoubtedly feature film quality, but everything around it seems rushed and undercooked.

70's Disney animation is an interesting case study in how really impressive animation can be sabotaged by cutting corners everywhere else.

No doubt cost prohibitive considering the returns it would yield, re-inking everything would be more expensive than the 3D process some of their renaissance movies went through. They could use CAPS I guess, but do they even still have the original animation somewhere?

The worst thing though is that Disney themselves are ashamed of how they look apparently, turning in these monstrosities when remastering them for Blu-ray:

edfd5390_dtt1.jpeg

8452_8_1080p.jpg

8453_3_1080p.jpg

Just leave 'em the way they are, this is a disgrace.

Phu

Banned
No doubt cost prohibitive considering the returns it would yield, re-inking everything would be more expensive than the 3D process some of their renaissance movies went through. They could use CAPS I guess, but do they even still have the original animation somewhere?

The worst thing though is that Disney themselves are ashamed of how they look apparently, turning in these monstrosities when remastering them for Blu-ray:

*sins against humanity*

67b.jpg

Bolt was my first thought as well. Definitely seemed to be the beginning of Disney turning things around after some down years.

Tangled doesn't seem to be underrated, but I'm always surprised at how infrequently it comes up. Probably my favorite Disney movie (which was the last thing I thought would ever happen when I sat down to see it for the first time).

Sho Nuff

Banned

edfd5390_dtt1.jpeg

8452_8_1080p.jpg

8453_3_1080p.jpg

What in the crispy fuck filter are they using on those. Holy shit

Ultimadrago

The Emperor's New Groove.

I was surprised how well this film held up when watching it recently. I will not make the mistake of sleeping on it again. It's seriously more enjoyable than anything recent (Non-Pixar and even then only Toy Story 3 is an exception) Disney has made in the current 3D era (barring Zootopia...maybe).

The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under

Also correct, though more for The Rescuers Down Under than The Rescuers, I think.

DemWalls

As a kid I would have said The Black Cauldron but I went back to it a few years ago and woow... that movie is bad.

Was gonna say something like this. I watched it a few years ago after reading about it as some kind of hidden gem... it was awful through and through.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Robin Hood is pretty high rated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

edfd5390_dtt1.jpeg

8452_8_1080p.jpg

8453_3_1080p.jpg

oh god it's like those washed out emulator filters

Bolt was my first thought as well. Definitely seemed to be the beginning of Disney turning things around after some down years.

Tangled doesn't seem to be underrated, but I'm always surprised at how infrequently it comes up. Probably my favorite Disney movie (which was the last thing I thought would ever happen when I sat down to see it for the first time).
it usually pops out as a comparison piece for Frozen, usually saying it's better than Frozen

(which I agree)

What was bed knobs and broom sticks when they fought the nazi's?
That was a buena vista/Disney film no? I mean it was live action but had Disney animation in it.

underrated might have been wrong, forgotten is more applicable. It just fell by the wayside to frozen.

Schlorgan

p19654_p_v8_ad.jpg

A fun adventure. Good cast, good songs. Love it.

It blows my mind every time I think about how Joseph Gordon Levit is Jim in Treasure Planet.

No mention of Princess and the Frog? Watching it in theaters I was blown away, I loved everything about it. Thought that hand-drawn animated movies finally would make a comeback, but instead they're now gone for good. Criminally underrated movie, it really captures the Disney magic while giving it an appropriate modern flavor.

Necron

My favourite Disney film alongside Sword in the Stone (is that also considered underrated?)

giphy.gif

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm not sure Lilo & Stitch counts as underrated. It's a beloved movie that spawned two sequels and two TV shows (one's an anime!), and undoubtedly has sold billions in merchandise worldwide. Certainly not in the same company as Treasure Planet, Bolt and Atlantis, anyway.

BadWolf

Atlantis and Treasure Planet for sure.

Great style, animation, story, characters and music. Just really solid adventure flicks overall.

Atlantis in particular I've re-watched countless times over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom