• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

underrated Disney animated films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't care if The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stich got crummy tv spinoffs or sold some merch, those are some of the best things animated Disney has produced and need all the love.

My wife has always had a soft spot for The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under...Having watched them i think they're pretty underrated 🐀🐁

Ratrat

People mentioning Mulan and Lilo & Stitch must be living in an alternate world because no one would consider those films underrated considering the amount of love they get from Disney themselves.

Just because they don't get mentioned in the same breath as their biggest films such as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King doesn't make them underrated. They may not be S-tier in the eyes of Disney and fans, but they're certainly near the top if you ask the majority of people.
Agreed. Stitch is one of the most popular Disney characters after Mickey Mouse.

why are talking mice so common anyway? are they just easier to draw expressively because they kind of have hands?

Along with most animals, they're generally fairly easier to draw. During the early years of Disney animation, for example, the animators had a hard time drawing humans, and that's why an extra focus was placed on making the goofier looking characters much more prominent. Since then, it's basically stuck.

Along with most animals, they're generally fairly easier to draw. During the early years of Disney animation, for example, the animators had a hard time drawing humans, and that's why an extra focus was placed on making the goofier looking characters much more prominent. Since then, it's basically stuck.

I get that, but why mice and small rodents in particular. Not just Disney but Don Bluth has done this multiple times.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
open-uri20150422-12561-1xea9yh_6b504853.jpeg

One of the best Sherlock Holmes adaptations. Also pretty dark for an animated Disney movie.

Unain

Like some people already mentioned:

Atlantis - So good, great visuals, superb voice cast.
Emperor's New Groove - Laughed so hard when watching this.
A Goofy Movie - such a great feelgood movie and that final song!

GamerJM

Banned
Rescuers Down Under and Emperor's New Groove are both really good.

I think a good number of these are just kinda forgettable though. Like Treasure Planet is just...mediocre IMO.

Linkura

People mentioning Mulan and Lilo & Stitch must be living in an alternate world because no one would consider those films underrated considering the amount of love they get from Disney themselves.

Just because they don't get mentioned in the same breath as their biggest films such as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King doesn't make them underrated. They may not be S-tier in the eyes of Disney and fans, but they're certainly near the top if you ask the majority of people.

Disney is more about giving love to Stitch as a character rather than the actual film.

ultra7k

Atlantis
Great Mouse Detective
DuckTales the Movie
Hercules

All pretty underrated IMO.

I mean, Atlantis - Michael J Fox, James Garner, Leonard Nimoy? Just fantastic.

.JayZii

Banned
I don't know what it is, but so many Disney movies from '60 to '90 I have a clear image of what happens in the first 30 minutes or so, but everything after that is completely wiped from my brain. Sword in the Stone, Aristocats, Black Cauldron, Oliver and Company... all of their resolutions were apparently not compelling enough or inoffensive or something, but... yeah.
That's a good way to put it. They were mostly animation and aesthetic exercises with lackluster plots.
I get that, but why mice and small rodents in particular. Not just Disney but Don Bluth has done this multiple times.
Small, cute animals that live in parallel to humans, but have a world of their own.

Tangled did get a lot of presence and positive buzz but what ended up happening is Frozen came out like 2 years later and completely eclipsed it. I definitely wouldn't call it underrated though. It's getting a cartoon series afterall.

I think people are listing it because of the comparison to Frozen, but that's a bit unfair considering Frozen is one the most popular and over pushed Disney franchises.

Doesn't make it underrated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Funny thing about the underrated titles most often mentioned here (Great Mouse Detective, Atlantis, Hercules, Treasure Planet) is that their company history is hilariously enough shared

rjinaz

Rescuers Down Under
A Goofy Movie.

I think A Goofy Movie is my favorite Disney animated movie period. Great story, a lot of real life emotions and issues that reach you, especially for teenagers.

it has yet to get an HD touch up by Disney. Shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom