• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated GameCube Games

Kart94

Banned
Some underrated Gamecube Games. I only have but one.

Kirby_Air_Ride.jpg

I think i'm the only one who liked the racing as much as city ride, even if it was simple. Would have been better if it had twice the track it did. Could do without the Top Ride though.

Torgo

Sega Beach Spikers Volleyball. So many days spent in my garage with a keg of beer while the Gamecube is up on a sheet hung from the rafters over a projector.

It's an absolute blast!

TwistedN

custom-robo.jpg

Custom Robo is a 2004 favorite of mine, belongs in my GameCube top 10

256px-Assaultbox.jpg

2005 favorite, in my opinion the best star fox out there, controls didn't bother me, on foot was phenomenal, and the BEST multiplayer out there by far.

dock

Chibi Robo isn't underrated, but amazing nonetheless.

squash-02.png

I think Kururin Squash is great fun four player.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat really doesn't get the love it deserves, if you ask me.

There's nothing like it out there, at least not as far as I know. Getting into the rhythm of controlling DK with the bongos and maintaining the momentum is such a joy. It's a simple concept that's fleshed out into something outstanding. Just a shame that it's pretty much overshadowed by the DKC games, when it can really hold its own.

I also have to give a mention to Warioware Mega Party Games. Yeah, it's pretty much a port of the GBA game with added multiplayer mode, but the multiplayer is so worth it.

GamerJM

Banned
Air Ride was the first thing that came to mind. It's not even that negatively viewed, most people seem to have fond memories of it, but it's honestly one of my favorite games on the console period. City Trial is just fantastic, and it's sad how poor of a job Smash Run does at recreating the fun of that mode. Air Ride, the main race mode, was also really fun. There was just a lot of content in that game in general.

DK Jungle Beat is probably the actual most underrated Gamecube game though. A platformer developed by the team behind Super Mario Galaxy with an incredibly unique and intuitive control scheme that somehow works perfectly. The best Donkey Kong platformer there is IMO, Tokyo EAD was a brilliant team from the start.

Mario Party 5 is far and away the best Mario Party game imo. A lot of people think the series stopped being good after the N64 games and I feel like those people never played 5. It pretty much has the best everything (maps, minigames, etc.), and the Battle Royale mode is like a game in itself; it's the sort of thing that would qualify as a cheap downloadable title these days.

Others....I really liked the Gamecube Pokemon RPGs back in the day. In retrospect I know they have their flaws, and they definitely don't measure up to the mainline entries, but XD in particular I think is still great on its own merits. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles are a blast in local MP, though the former is a multiplat and the latter requires a crazy GBA setup.

CHIBI ROBO.

Yeah, it gained momentum afterwards, but back then it was not recognised as the prime work it is.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was boss too, I loves the control scheme, shame the port lost it.

PN03, Cubivore, Billy Hatcher, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, XIII, i-Ninja and Sphynx were also good. (these last four were not exclusive, but I've played them on the cube)

And I have to say... Baten Kaitos Origins.

Lately I've even grown to think Baten Kaitos 1 is underated considered how ignored it gets, but origins is a masterpiece.

Was multiplatform but superior on Gamecube (if my blind fanboyism serves me correct).
Really fun shooter.

I would also say the Baten Kaitos games as they are my favorite RPGs of any console ever.

Burnout 2 doesn't get the rep it deserves. Best racer of the series that actually has a tight risk/reward system with great drifting.

Edit: just seen Beach Spikers below. Easily my favourite sports game on the console.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Spartan : Total Warrior was awesome, and so it was Gladius. Two fantastic rpg action turn based hybrids that noone bought

Generally underrated and also underappreciated by users.

A fine CRPG, indeed.

$T2eC16h,!z!FJ3,7jUtPBSeUFGqQdw~~60_35.JPG
The first game was also highly underrated.

As for the subject at end:

pP5s34S.jpg

The best JRPG of the current millennium, yet it was highly overlooked (probably because it was released a month or two before the wii).

emb

I rented Lost Kingdoms once, and thought it was pretty fun. I've been meaning to get around to buying that. I'm guessing the sequel is probably good too.

I think Donkey Kong Jungle Beat turns off a lot of people when they first hear about the controls. Definitely give it a shot if you haven't!

Phantasy Star Online is pretty popular, so probably not under rated... I just wanted an excuse to throw this recommendation out there. I still play it. Maybe PSO Episode III is under rated though. While it really is a shame that it's not a sequel to PSO, it's good if you go in without that expectation. It's a fun card battle/strategy kind of game, that just happens to use the monsters and items for PSO Ep. I & II.

Tom_Cody

custom-robo.jpg

256px-Assaultbox.jpg

2005 favorite, in my opinion the best star fox out there, controls didn't bother me, on foot was phenomenal, and the BEST multiplayer out there by far.
I am so sad to have missed out on these. I lived with various non-gamer roommates from 2001-2008 (college and early 20s) and I very had the freedom to play these.

I would really like to get a Custom Robo for 3DS.

custom-robo.jpg

256px-Assaultbox.jpg

Came in to post this essentially. Good Job

krizzx

This title would account for over half of the Gamecube's library, as the Gamecube was an underrated system.

TwistedN

I rented Lost Kingdoms once, and thought it was pretty fun. I've been meaning to get around to buying that. I'm guessing the sequel is probably good too.

I think Donkey Kong Jungle Beat turns off a lot of people when they first hear about the controls. Definitely give it a shot if you haven't!

Phantasy Star Online is pretty popular, so probably not under rated... I just wanted an excuse to throw this recommendation out there. I still play it. Maybe PSO Episode III is under rated though. While it really is a shame that it's not a sequel to PSO, it's good if you go in without that expectation. It's a fun card battle/strategy kind of game, that just happens to use the monsters and items for PSO Ep. I & II.

Definitely, in love with Episode III(even though I never beat it) it's like my one game I don't want to finish because every time I come back to the game it's always new to me.

Cubivore was actually really fun.

Odama was seen as an oddity and never given it's due as a real game.

Custom Robo is another good one already mentioned.

I loved Wario World (even though I 100%d it in like 3 hours).

Wave race was the shit at launch and then no one remembered it.

Monkey Ball 2 was better than the first.

1080 Avalanche is still probably my favorite snowboarding game.

Top Bottom