• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated GameCube Games

mAP4XTmE-csMJnTa0OTiuwA.jpg

I recently bought this because of the recommendation thread on here. Need to play it sometime.

Can anyone recommend some platformers? I think the only one I played was Mario Sunshine. I'm pretty sure there were some third party ones. Don't care if it's 2D or 3D. Thanks.

Also, lots of love for Beach Spikers. Can anyone explain why they like it?

Subbing this thread.

sphinx

the piano man
I want to say GEIST but whenever I do so in threads like this one, people give me shit and tell me I am out of my mind :(....

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sega Beach Spikers Volleyball. So many days spent in my garage with a keg of beer while the Gamecube is up on a sheet hung from the rafters over a projector.

It's an absolute blast!

This. This right here.

Segas interns studios were gods back in the day.

sphinx

the piano man
you know, for a console that was considered a failure, those are plenty of images with the "only for" legend in the corner, many by thrid parties, (megaman, gotcha force, lost kingdoms, etc..)

poor WiiU.... :/

Only if played with interior view and the force-feedback wheel. Very good force-feedback effects and really nice physics. The cars really have weight and feel different from eachother. Driving tips while you are driving.

Meffer

Was multiplatform but superior on Gamecube (if my blind fanboyism serves me correct).
Really fun shooter.

I would also say the Baten Kaitos games as they are my favorite RPGs of any console ever.
All the posts here are great but this one really surprised me. Got this for Christmas long ago and I had no idea about this game. So I played it and was absolutely amazed by this game. All parts from enemies can be taken apart, and you can hack into enemies and control them. And it played great! Wonderful game, anybody should play this.

WWE_Day_of_Reckoning_2_Coverart.png

heavily overshadow by the SVR games even though this little gem is better and has hold up better than many of the recent entries.
Wrestlemania XIX is also a very fun game. I remember the character creator being in depth enough that I could make a decent looking Spider-Man, Superman, etc. Even Godzilla too I think.

Robbit

Banned
Chibi Robo isn't underrated, but amazing nonetheless.

squash-02.png

I think Kururin Squash is great fun four player.
I remember some people writing off Chibi-Robo as a janitor simulator. Of course, those that actually played the game knew it was much more than cleaning.

The first game was also highly underrated.

As for the subject at end:

pP5s34S.jpg

The best JRPG of the current millennium, yet it was highly overlooked (probably because it was released a month or two before the wii).

Came in here to post this! This is one of the greatest RPGs ever and the cast is flawless.

Some people posting non underrated games, lol. Maybe it's a better idea to make a "What Gamecube games did you enjoy?"

So I can't believe how MUCH FUN THIS GAME IS. I'm almost finished with it but it's pretty much classic mega man platforming with a wide array of weapons and an absolutely amazing soundtrack. The artstyle is really great as well. The only thing I hated were the abundance of tutorials that weren't skippable, but I think that was only in the first area.

Mega_Man_Network_Transmission_Coverart.png

This deserves an honourable mention as well. Overall great game that did an amazing job for a first time genre switch. gr8 OST, gr8 gameplay, gr8 artstyle, gr8 fucking everything.

Mega_Man_X_Command_Mission_cover.jpg

I never really had the money to buy Gamecube games left and right at the time, so my library was pretty small (I'm expanding my library a lot right now though), and the only games I really had were the popular ones like F-Zero GX, Windwaker, Melee, Mario Sunshine, etc. There were only a few maybe obscure games that I bought, including the 2 above that I mentioned.

Came here to to post these.

Network Transmission specifically is a lot better than people give it credit. Once you get over the steep learning curve in the beginning, it's a great mix of network/traditional megaman gameplay. Command Mission is a fun enough rpg that megaman fans will enjoy.

Came in here to post this! This is one of the greatest RPGs ever and the cast is flawless.
Character development is sublime in BKO.

Masterful, even. It helps that you have the whole cast together right from the beginning (I remember Milly joins in less than hour and a half in, perhaps less than an hour), from then on, cast is complete so there's character development after character development, and the story is good.

Such a great game, They should do an HD version of the two games for the Wii U, re-render and re-sample artwork and go from there. (I'd redub the first baten kaitos too or include dual audio just to sweeten the deal)

This title would account for over half of the Gamecube's library, as the Gamecube was an underrated system.

In some ways it felt like a spiritual successor console to the Dreamcast.

freedomfighters_gcnbox.jpg

This was a recommendation made by RMC countless times on GN, and I figure any man crazy enough to give this one a shoutout as often as he did was worth a purchase. Sure enough, the first time I went to FanExpo in Toronto, there it was for $15 CIB.

I think the only thing that beats this out is when I got MGS: Twin Snakes for $25. Think the plot of Red Dawn (the 1984 original, cause it's better). You round up civilians to form a militia and fight the enemy army invading NYC. It's actually pretty inspiring to see your squad of six work together tactfully in this TPS. Y'all definitely need to check this out.

Freedom fighters was great, played it on PS2. Twin Snakes is funny, because I feel like it was well recieved, but a lot of fans tend to shit on it now, for it's shitty voice acting and over the topness. But it had a good soundtrack and I guess it's hard to go wrong with a pretty version of MGS1 with MGS2's gameplay.

Twin Snakes is funny, because I feel like it was well recieved, but a lot of fans tend to shit on it now, for it's shitty voice acting and over the topness. But it had a good soundtrack and I guess it's hard to go wrong with a pretty version of MGS1 with MGS2's gameplay.
They're just sore PS2, Xbox, X360 and PS3 didn't get a port and probably never will.

Biggest complain most fans had wasn't the dub it was the fact it wasn't on a dualshock.

Nobody should prefer MGS1 to MGS:TS, but Kojima Productions seems to feed the notion of it never having existed (footage reels of older games never show it even on flashbacks and stuff like that), the rest is some fans going along with it for the very same reasons, it's not canonic they say or some utter nonsense.

jholmes

Cubivore is another hiddem gem, an action-puzzle game with weird art-style and a complex level-up / evolution system.

256px-Cubivorebox.jpg

Came here to make sure someone mentioned this. I'm not disappointed.

I don't know if it's truly underrated though, as apparently it's pretty pricey now.

Doshin The Giant, released in english only in Europe, a remake of the original 64DD version, it's a great god-simulator.

Doshin_the_Giant.gamecover.amazon.jpg

Not getting this in North America still burns, so thanks for opening up an old wound.

Generally underrated and also underappreciated by users.

A fine CRPG, indeed.

$T2eC16h,!z!FJ3,7jUtPBSeUFGqQdw~~60_35.JPG

So glad this was the 2nd post. This game was quiet good, bonafide real time w/ pause PC style party RPG combat with some crazy environments and a fully realized setting.

Came here to make sure someone mentioned this. I'm not disappointed.

I don't know if it's truly underrated though, as apparently it's pretty pricey now.
It was always niche, so not a lot of stock existed.

I bought mine for $20 back in the days.
Not getting this in North America still burns, so thanks for opening up an old wound.
You're not missing out much.
You assholes made me go buy Baten Kaitos Origins :(
You'll thank us.

How much did it cost you?

s_mirage

I really enjoyed P.N. 03. It's a very misunderstood game.

Seconded. Too many people treated it like it was a Devil May Cry style action game, and slated it for obvious reasons. Trouble is, it's not really that kind of game, its really a shmup in a third person action skin. Get your head around that and it's a bit of a rough diamond IMO.

Celine

Seconded. Too many people treated it like it was a Devil May Cry style action game, and slated it for obvious reasons. Trouble is, it's not really that kind of game, its really a shmup in a third person action skin. Get your head around that and it's a bit of a rough diamond IMO.
Thirded.

Phil S.

Banned
I didn't see this one posted, Wario World. It's a short 3D platformer with a side-scrolling perspective.

I also enjoyed both Bomberman games, Generations and Jetters.

From Russia With Love 007 was a nice near-final Bond effort from EA.

Blues1990

While not perfect, I remember my friends and I had this game in rotation with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Sega Soccer Slam. A lot of fond memories with this underrated gem, so check it out if you can find a copy.

58923_front.jpg

Ludist210

Agreed 100%. It's one of the few GameCube games that I refuse to sell (even though I'm cleaning out my collection slowly). That and the Baten Kaitos games.

freakzilla3000

Billy Hatcher IS AMAZING!

Metal Arms is literally Halo for Gamecube

Timesplitters 2 is fantastic

Custom Robo
Eternal Darkness

The list goes on and on.

The_Lump

Banned
Not sure if it's strictly "underrated", but its certainly overlooked by many (or it was at the time, anyhow):

1080%C2%B0_Avalanche.png

A really great sequel to 1080 (N64). A lot of love went into the game; great soundtrack, atmosphere, setting, menu design and really pretty graphics. It was quite short to play through but it's one of those gems where you always fancy another race with friends. SSX3 managed the open mountain concept way more successfully (and I dreamed of a 1080 follow up with that same set up!) but there is still something about Avalanche that seems to fit the vibe of snowboarding much more for me

I really enjoyed P.N. 03. It's a very misunderstood game.
I skimmed through this thread only to find this being mentioned. Luckily it was among the latest posts. And seeing that others are quite fond of it makes me all sentimental. It's one of my favorites, despite its flaws. It's just infinitely replayable and always challenging.
It's also definitely misunderstood as you guys said.

Also nice to see Beach Spikers being mentioned a lot. I've always been somewhat interested in it, so maybe it's time to finally go for it.

ChibiRoboBoxArt.jpg

Not sure if this one is more underrated or underappreciated, but it feels like no one ever brings this game up when discussing the best of the Gamecube library. Understandable giving how niche it is and how late it was released into the GC lifespan... personally, it's my favorite game on the system. I love everything about this game. <3
Chibi Robo needs all the attention it can get. One of the quirkiest and most original adventures Nintendo have ever put its name on. You need to play this if you have a Gamecube.

leroidys

Chibi Robo needs all the attention it can get. One of the quirkiest and most original adventures Nintendo have ever put its name on. You need to play this if you have a Gamecube.

I love this game a lot. Still need to go back and finish the last couple hours though.

Shame the DS and 3DS titles were nowhere near as good.

I came in expecting to be the first to mention Custom Robo. Glad I was wrong.

Gaunlet Dark Legacy 4 playera co-op is fun as hel, too.

Top Bottom