• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated GameCube Games

Hardly any of the games mentioned so far came out in Australia that I can remember.

The Gamecube library in NA was lacking, the Gamecube library in Oz was woeful.

:(

Sadist

X-Men-Legends-2_391x450.jpg

Some people posting non underrated games, lol. Maybe it's a better idea to make a "What Gamecube games did you enjoy?"

So I can't believe how MUCH FUN THIS GAME IS. I'm almost finished with it but it's pretty much classic mega man platforming with a wide array of weapons and an absolutely amazing soundtrack. The artstyle is really great as well. The only thing I hated were the abundance of tutorials that weren't skippable, but I think that was only in the first area.

Mega_Man_Network_Transmission_Coverart.png

This deserves an honourable mention as well. Overall great game that did an amazing job for a first time genre switch. gr8 OST, gr8 gameplay, gr8 artstyle, gr8 fucking everything.

Mega_Man_X_Command_Mission_cover.jpg

I never really had the money to buy Gamecube games left and right at the time, so my library was pretty small (I'm expanding my library a lot right now though), and the only games I really had were the popular ones like F-Zero GX, Windwaker, Melee, Mario Sunshine, etc. There were only a few maybe obscure games that I bought, including the 2 above that I mentioned.

koma

Already mentioned, but Gotcha Force is really one of the must fun game that i have ever played on the GameCube, it's a shame that this will never get a sequel. One of the best Capcom brawler, a mix between Virtual On and Power Stone with hundreds of playable characters, everyone with their own style and combos. So good.

Gotcha_Force_Coverart.png

Cubivore is another hiddem gem, an action-puzzle game with weird art-style and a complex level-up / evolution system.

256px-Cubivorebox.jpg

Doshin The Giant, released in english only in Europe, a remake of the original 64DD version, it's a great god-simulator.

Doshin_the_Giant.gamecover.amazon.jpg

ec0ec0

pP5s34S.jpg

The best JRPG of the current millennium, yet it was highly overlooked (probably because it was released a month or two before the wii).

and probably because we didnt see it in europe... ;_;

Also, in europe, the first one was released in that 50Hz nonsense... double ;_;

saskayzx

Neo Member
WWE_Day_of_Reckoning_2_Coverart.png

heavily overshadow by the SVR games even though this little gem is better and has hold up better than many of the recent entries.

DLaicH

256px-Assaultbox.jpg

2005 favorite, in my opinion the best star fox out there, controls didn't bother me, on foot was phenomenal, and the BEST multiplayer out there by far.

I also really liked Assault, and I thought it had the best multiplayer of the series, although I liked 64's single player as well. Still, definitely an underrated game.

I also really enjoyed Star Wars Bounty Hunter for what it was, but it didn't get great reviews at the time.

XJzeBPA.jpg

WWE_Day_of_Reckoning_2_Coverart.png

heavily overshadow by the SVR games even though this little gem is better and has hold up better than many of the recent entries.
The character models in DoR:2 were in-fucking-sane at the time. I was never really a wrestling fan, but rented this because of my fond memories of No Mercy and remember being blown away by how good it looked.

Anyway, my vote goes to1080° Avalanche.

Koozek

As for the subject at end:

pP5s34S.jpg

The best JRPG of the current millennium, yet it was highly overlooked (probably because it was released a month or two before the wii).

My (wo)man! I bought the first Baten Kaitos for crazy cheap in Japanese not understanding a single word :D But I still nearly finished it until that effin' fight against three strong bosses where I couldn't get out of the area as I had no older savestate.
Years later I then bought the PAL version of it and now that I could finally understand everything. After finishing that I realized that there was a sequel (or rather prequel story-wise) that wasn't released in Europe, so I imported the US version of Baten Kaito Origins.
I enjoyed it even more than the first one. Great improvement/evolution of the battle system and lovable characters. Check it out if you don't know it yet, guys! :)

Koozek

I am not sure if it's considered underrated but I have fond memories of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles especially playing with friends. One of the best looking gamecube games with an amazing soundtrack.

dat intro!

Oh, yeeeah! Played the Japanese version (GC was the only console I imported JP games for as it was easy to play them with a Freeloader disc) with three friends (luckily we all had a GBA) and although we couldn't read anything we just memorized what all the symbols stood for and managed to get quite far :D
I especially loved the soundtrack!

Impala26

I actually had no idea until just now that this game was also available on the PS2 as well as GCN.

XG3-Extreme_G_Racing.jpg

One was an N64 exclusive and two was available only on N64 and PC. Damn the sense of speed in this game is only rivaled by that of F-Zero GX. Though not sure if it was running at higher than 30fps or not. Plus it had awesome techno/dance/trance tracks.

Spartan: Total Warrior.

It's a multiplat, sure, I played the fuck out of it on Gamecube. The controls were super tight.
It's basically God of War meets Dynasty Warrior.

spartan-total-warrior-20050812065153100-1201701_640w.jpg

Brofield

I'm just realizing now how devoid I am of underrated Gamecube games I have that haven't already been mentioned. I gotta build up my collection.

The only games I can mention here aren't necessarily exclusive, but you should endeavour to play them all the same on any console you can.

Don't expect the graphics to hold up, like at all. But the multiplayer is the meat of the game, and that NEVER gets old. I do plan on getting the new Gauntlet game on Steam as soon as I can convince my friends I played this with the first time around to do the same.

freedomfighters_gcnbox.jpg

This was a recommendation made by RMC countless times on GN, and I figure any man crazy enough to give this one a shoutout as often as he did was worth a purchase. Sure enough, the first time I went to FanExpo in Toronto, there it was for $15 CIB.

I think the only thing that beats this out is when I got MGS: Twin Snakes for $25. Think the plot of Red Dawn (the 1984 original, cause it's better). You round up civilians to form a militia and fight the enemy army invading NYC. It's actually pretty inspiring to see your squad of six work together tactfully in this TPS. Y'all definitely need to check this out.

Yep, Kirby Air Ride was good! I'll also mention both Baten Kaitos games because I feel obligated to, but since the rise of Monolith Soft both Baten Kaitos games have been given more respect and I am glad.

Dimmle

Aw, I miss when Nintendo was still trying to make Custom Robo a thing in the States.

It was a good thing.

GameCube might just be my favorite system ever and it had a bunch of gems on it:

Beach Spikers and Sega Soccer Slam were both amazing games. Sega really delivered on the GameCube.

DK Jungle Beat is one of my favorite 2D platformers and the gimmick controls added a ton to the game.

Pac-Man VS is one of my favorite party games ever and I can't believe a WiiU version hasn't come out yet.

Servbot24

Banned
Some people posting non underrated games, lol. Maybe it's a better idea to make a "What Gamecube games did you enjoy?"

So I can't believe how MUCH FUN THIS GAME IS. I'm almost finished with it but it's pretty much classic mega man platforming with a wide array of weapons and an absolutely amazing soundtrack. The artstyle is really great as well. The only thing I hated were the abundance of tutorials that weren't skippable, but I think that was only in the first area.

Mega_Man_Network_Transmission_Coverart.png

I loved this one! Got every chip except that it said I was missing a second Roll chip. Never figured out how to get that.

Four Swords Adventures was incredible once you managed to get over the logistical hump of assembling GBAs and Link Cables to play it. Far, far better than the original GBA Four Swords and a more fulfilling asymmetric co-op experience than Crystal Chronicles (not bad itself, though beyond the cooperative excitements of combining spells and lugging a bucket around, the base game underneath was a fairly generic beat-'em-up).

Viewtiful Joe 2 tends to be overlooked next to all the praise directed at its predecessor. It was a worthy sequel that only erred in being too generous with its save points, watering down the original game's notorious tests of stamina, while refining or adding to everything else and providing a robust challenge mode as a playground for the combat mechanics. But I often get the sense that people don't remember it exists.

As for Jungle Beat, I can see why Miyamoto took one look at that development team and said, I'm putting these fellows on 3D Mario. You can spot remnants of Jungle Beat design all the way up through Super Mario 3D World. I played it on a rented copy but have half a mind to acquire it again along with the original drums.

ELAMOR

kururin is on the 3ds?! how has this passed me by?!

also it is warming my heart to see so much appreciation for beach spikers, trust this forum to love that game :)

sorry bro, i confued with chibi robo, chibi robo is on the 3ds

Drago

ChibiRoboBoxArt.jpg

Not sure if this one is more underrated or underappreciated, but it feels like no one ever brings this game up when discussing the best of the Gamecube library. Understandable giving how niche it is and how late it was released into the GC lifespan... personally, it's my favorite game on the system. I love everything about this game. <3

Damn, looking at all this GameCube game boxart really brings me back. I would say Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life was pretty underrated from what I remember. I spent countless hours on that game. Geist had an interesting concept to it but it seemed like everyone stopped talking about it soon after release.
One more: Star Fox Adventures. I had so many friends hate that game but I absolutely adored it. It was a pretty good Zelda clone (although a bit clunky).

Top Bottom