• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale is [has won] the GameFAQs Best. Game. Ever. poll

Rematch: Best video game character of all time?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Meia

...wait, do you think Mario needs more story? Do you think that wanting a story-free Mario means someone is against interesting characters?

Just going to throw out there that when Mario had a story with Galaxy, we got a cool brand new character for the franchise with Rosalina.

Miyamoto is a great game maker, hardly infallible. Going from Galaxy 1 to 2 angered me to no end. :\

MrBadger

The writing in the Paper Mario previous to Sticker Star was actually rather similar to Undertale, right down to the meta humour and the
part where you role-play with a weeaboo lizard
. Then there's Sticker Star

Also nice to see that Undertale is now officially the Best. Game. Ever.(tm)

Haganeren

Much like OOT, Undertale is a game where its fans are pretty reluctant to admit problems with gameplay or content.
They're both pretty flawed games.

Hum ? Or maybe i don't think a game without flaws exists.

Ocarina Of Time have an horrible framerate, some very stiff controls, a world a little too small (especially visible on Hyrule) and some camera problems.
Mother 3 have some boring moment, and the battle aren't very deep. If the story don't grab you, you will find the finale very boring actually.
Final Fantasy VII lack cohesion, battle are too slow and it have somme boring moment. (In French, the translation was also awful)
Wonderful 101 have some problem to explain its mechanics, make the player buy an indispensable move like the shield is absurd and the game lack interesting environment for a the first tiers of the adventure, it's also less understandable than a Devil May Cry game.
Undertale need to be replayed to be fully understood/loved, humor don't work for everybody, the graphics lacks cohesion (the OST too), the writing have some problem here and there and the short lenght of the game have made a lot of people not caring enough for the world to be interested in it. Hidden mechanics tends to upset a lot of people too.
Trails in the Sky : Don't have a really original atmosphere. A little too chatty. Take too much time before being totally interesting.
Sam & Max : Some puzzles are too obscure, humor don't work for everybody, the dialog system isn't as fun as Monkey Island or DOTT with different choices. Isn't as dark as the comic.
Super Smash Bros : Too hard to understand for a newbie, can be quite confusing too as you lost your character a lot at the beginning, lack proper balancing for tournament, not as "cool" to look at as a "classic" fighting game with the camera being so far from the characters.

I can go on and on. Those are parts of my favorite games of all time. I have a lot more of course but the point being : Yes, they have flaws and yet i can consider them being the "bests" game I have ever played.
I will go as far as say i prefer a flawed game which make something new and surprise me than a "perfect" game which will always seems a little boring to me.

It's not that people don't see flaws on Undertale, it's more that those flaws seems irrelevant to them because of all the good things Undertale do right.

The writing in the Paper Mario previous to Sticker Star was actually rather similar to Undertale, right down to the meta humour and the
part where you role-play with a weeaboo lizard
. Then there's Sticker Star

Also nice to see that Undertale is now officially the Best. Game. Ever.(tm)

I still think the writing of Sticker Star is excellent actually.
... It's just that we don't have a lot of writing in the game...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I haven't played Undertale, but I don't get, from what I have read, what makes it an SJW game. Is the maker known for being an outspoken feminist or otherwise associated as SJW? Or is it about the content of the game? From what I have read it seems to be a normal RPG?

Kinsei

Banned
I haven't played Undertale, but I don't get, from what I have read, what makes it an SJW game. Is the maker known for being an outspoken feminist or otherwise associated as SJW? Or is it about the content of the game? From what I have read it seems to be a normal RPG?

Content of the game. There are gay and lesbian characters and the protagonist is genderless.

Thud

Ocarina of Time is flawed because Majora's Mask followed it.

That doesn't sour my experiences with the game tho.

Anyway Undertale is the goat, mettaton dance~

Probably for the content, not that it contains anything controversial.
- Its protagonist's gender and race is undisclosed, and the NPCs use the genderless pronoun "they" to refer to the character.
- There's several homosexual characters, spanning across both genders.
- One of the core features of the game is to play non-violently, and using words and feelings to overcome your differences. This is pretty much one of the main themes of the game as well. It also shows how ugly it is if you don't adhere to it, rather than the standard industry practice of glorifying it.
- There's simplistic discrimination plot happening between the human and monster dynamic, where the humans are treated as the bad guys. Stuff you've seen a million times before in saturday morning cartoons.
- The game features strong female characters,
one whom is referred to as the true hero.
- Plenty of furry characters are present in the game. It makes some direct references to it, but also says it's not going to judge.
- The game sets up a mother and father relationship with you and two prominent characters,
where the father's role is being rejected by the mother after they grew apart. They basically start the game separated and in the end of the game they still are.
- One of the main characters did not feel comfortable in his original body,
and asked a scientist to help him get a new one that more reflected his identity.
- One recurring character's actions are based on confident pick-up artists, whom the game plainly mocks for being harassing.

While it touches upon a few subjects that ruffles jimmies of people who are afraid of the SJW boogieman, the game honestly doesn't really have a lot of social commentary to share. It just uses these elements in its characterisation and little more. Just being present is enough to set some folks off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Probably for the content, not that it contains anything controversial.
- Its protagonist's gender and race is undisclosed, and the NPCs use the genderless pronoun "they" to refer to the character.
- There's several homosexual characters, spanning across both genders.
- One of the core features of the game is to play non-violently, and using words and feelings to overcome your differences. This is pretty much one of the main themes of the game as well. It also shows how ugly it is if you don't adhere to it, rather than the standard industry practice of glorifying it.
- There's simplistic discrimination plot happening between the human and monster dynamic, where the humans are treated as the bad guys. Stuff you've seen a million times before in saturday morning cartoons.
- The game features strong female characters,
one whom is referred to as the true hero.
- Plenty of furry characters are present in the game. It makes some direct references to it, but also says it's not going to judge.
- The game sets up a mother and father relationship with you and two prominent characters,
where the father's role is being rejected by the mother after they grew apart. They basically start the game separated and in the end of the game they still are.
- One of the main characters did not feel comfortable in his original body,
and asked a scientist to help him get a new one that more reflected his identity.
- One recurring character's actions are based on confident pick-up artists, whom the game plainly mocks for being harassing.

While it touches upon a few subjects that ruffles jimmies of people who are afraid of the SJW boogieman, the game honestly doesn't really have a lot of social commentary to share. It just uses these elements in its characterisation and little more. Just being present is enough to set some folks off.

Yeah, this doesn't seem much SJW to me, but I see why someone could see it as such. However, what's the "problem" with the bolded part, I cannot see how anyone could associate this with SJW. Having explicit representation of a female "real hero", gays, lesbians, transsexuals and genderless people, as well as the third person plural form for a single person has at least something to do with the "SJW topic", because this might be inspired in parts by the recent call for inclusiveness in games, but the parent part? I can't think of any connection to SJW complaints.

Much like OOT, Undertale is a game where its fans are pretty reluctant to admit problems with gameplay or content.
They're both pretty flawed games.

No such thing as a perfect game, but there is such a thing as a great game. Undertale is the latter, flaws and all.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, this doesn't seem much SJW to me, but I see why someone could see it as such. However, what's the "problem" with the bolded part, I cannot see how anyone could associate this with SJW. Having explicit representation of a female "real hero", gays, lesbians, transsexuals and genderless people, as well as the third person plural form for a single person has at least something to do with the "SJW topic", because this might be inspired in parts by the recent call for inclusiveness in games, but the parent part? I can't think of any connection to SJW complaints.

It's almost like the people that link it to that are totally unhinged and jump at shadows.

A divorced man is evidence of cuckholdery or something.

Glad to know Undertale is the best game ever. This question has been asked time and again and it's frustrating how it always goes unanswered. Now we finally know what is objectively the greatest game known to the universe.

The salt is strong with this one.
When you think about it, taking popularity polls this seriously is just silly.
In a nutshell:
2658633-5257751709-13377.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
One recurring character's actions are based on confident pick-up artists, whom the game plainly mocks for being harassing.

wait what? I've played and finished the True Ending and I don't remember this.

brian!

diminishing of male power where a particular trope is being subverted here:
the "i just want my family back" dad commits hyperbolic acts that, in other media, usually results in him getting what he wants (think jim carrey in big daddy), but here the figure is rejected and sassed to a very entertaining extent. His own position in the world (a king) also doesnt automatically provide him with the ability to attain absolution, and his ex doesnt consider taking him back, instead moving on to another. The burdens of his position are a big part of his character, but do not result in automatically swaying his ex back to him, subverting a trope where the (usually female) ex has a moment of clarity realizing that all the awful things about their partner has been sacrifices for their sake and all is forgiven. These are all things that bother ppl obsessed with the idea of sjw

brian!

Who? You are not one of those Sans X Toriel shippers no?

woops i meant in general lol, "another" was the wrong word shoulda been something more like "another thing besides him". I love the dynamic between the king (legit forgot his name, played a while ago) where hes like yo toriel our relationship tho, and toriels just like cmon man not now

wait what? I've played and finished the True Ending and I don't remember this.
Aaron the seahorse
will incessantly flirt with you and any of the female characters. He'll wink, ask personal details, talk himself up, playfully tells people what they should like, patronise you when you try to shoo him go away... all that jazz. The characters that talk about him think he's obnoxious for obvious reasons.

A cute detail I noticed was that if you tell Shyren to smile when you first encounter her, she will become quiet and uncomfortable, to which the flavour text completely out of nowhere says that Aaron nods and approves. I remember when that viral video came out where some lady filmed herself walking on the street in NYC, a lot of people had trouble accepting that that telling people to smile could be harassment in some cases. Since the game narrates the reactions your actions have, it felt fitting to see Shyren's and Aaron's responses next to each other.

The only way to properly deal with Aaron and get his name yellow is to wig him out himself. You do this by playing one of Napstablook's spooky jams. He'll get uneasy by the tune, and ask if the creepy music is his punishment for being creepy himself. After that you won't have to deal with Aaron again in battle.

I suppose he's more "masculine idea of flirting" than specifically pick-up artists. The character itself is supposedly loosely based on a friend/acquaintance of Toby Fox', but those things are hard to confirm, nor does it matter that much.

diminishing of male power where a particular trope is being subverted here:
the "i just want my family back" dad commits hyperbolic acts that, in other media, usually results in him getting what he wants (think jim carrey in big daddy), but here the figure is rejected and sassed to a very entertaining extent. His own position in the world (a king) also doesnt automatically provide him with the ability to attain absolution, and his ex doesnt consider taking him back, instead moving on to another. The burdens of his position are a big part of his character, but do not result in automatically swaying his ex back to him, subverting a trope where the (usually female) ex has a moment of clarity realizing that all the awful things about their partner has been sacrifices for their sake and all is forgiven. These are all things that bother ppl obsessed with the idea of sjw
Pretty much. I assume that's where I think the strange cuckolding remarks from that same crowd are coming from too.

Top Bottom