• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menchi

I genuinely hope you experience the same thing, multiple times. Only so that you can understand how it actually feels. You miss an important gathering, an interview, anything just so you can change your god damned awful way of thinking.

I've experienced it. It's extremely inconvenient and I complained to high heaven about it. Once I'd gotten off the flight.

C9EI3-cXkAAuYcg.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/united/status/851471781827420160

They know they're fucked.

I refuse to do business through United because of a horrible travel experience and the follow up "customer service" experience. This cements it. Im advising everyone i know against flying UA.

Plum

I can only imagine you are typing this with a "Rage Against The Machine" song playing in the background.

If you are asked by security to leave a fucking airplane, stand up like a big boy and leave the fucking airplane. It's not the lunch counter in Greensboro.

A grown man doesn't throw a tantrum over a god damn seat in a plane.

Jesus. Are you just spending your days screaming at cashiers that shortchange you a buck?

So what I'm getting from these kinds of posts is:

Protesting a bullshit decision non-violently = You're a baby having a tantrum

Resorting to violently beating an innocent person just because you can't handle a situation tactfully = You're a responsible adult

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
so just to be clear you think those rules are in place to protect the art of overbooking?

those rules are NOT in place to give the crew leeway if they think someone will cause trouble on the flight, make it less safe, could be a liability?

I never said anything about protecting the art of overbooking.

marrec

Banned
They know they're fucked.

But... I don't understand kitchenmotors, there are so many people in this thread telling me how United was well within their rights to have police physically assault this man.

Why is Mr. United offering this "$400 Voucher" of an apology if they were well within their rights?

You get a new flight plus the compensation so in effect, flight price + compensation. Or a refund of flight price + compensation

There are also tools like AirHelp that can help you get compensation really easily. Essentially you input a flight you've been on in the past 3 years, and they can tell you if you're owed money and do the whole process on the back end themselves. Really neat service.

No love for my Kunta Kinte Economy Saver ticket gag? Dang.

Why are people shocked by the constant attack human dignity has been under at airports since 9/11.

Theres a direct road map from what happened on this plane to back then.

Just think of all the people that have been racially profiled in the past that have had their assholes fingered for no other reason than being brown.

And now we are drawing a line?

Savitar

There should be laws against over booking flights, in Canada recently we had where one story where a person who booked months in advanced almost never got her seat due to over booking. Never escalated to this degree, rather disturbing they'd behave in such a way as you see in the video for this poor guy.

I hope the airline takes a good hit from this.

They deserve it.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
You fucking disgusting, corporate-cockgobbling, son of a motherfucker you. Do you have no respect for yourself?

Don't be ridiculous. If people choose to leave the flight no one cares but if a person chooses not to they don't deserve to be physically abused for it

Edit: I assumed it was sarcasm.....

This is pretty fucked up, and incredibly stupid of United/police. Do they ever think for a second that flying an employee is not worth this horrible viral video?

though I would never consider refusing to leave the plane if they asked. Get off the plane. Never fly United again. Shit companies happen at you. Get over it.

Would anyone else dare refuse and/or resist to get off the plane?

Kremzeek

i've flown nothing but Southwest for the past 15 years, and can't remember EVER getting the announcement that the flight was oversold.

does Southwest not do the overbooking thing? because if not, then that's yet another reason why i don't fly other airlines.

i've flown nothing but Southwest for the past 15 years, and can't remember EVER getting the announcement that the flight was oversold.

does Southwest not do the overbooking thing? because if not, then that's yet another reason why i don't fly other airlines.

They do, but they also know waaaaaay in advance

This is pretty fucked up, and incredibly stupid of United/police. Do they ever think for a second that flying an employee is not worth this horrible viral video?

though I would never consider refusing to leave the plane if they asked. Get off the plane. Never fly United again. Shit companies happen at you. Get over it.

Would anyone else dare refuse and/or resist to get off the plane?

Yeah I would. Especially just for the chance at this payday. Fighting for my principles and getting paid for it, I don't see why I wouldn't.

Jeez the heat is really turning up in this thread. The cops are ones we should really be mad at.

For one, I think those of us who live in the US are kind of numb to police misconduct and brutality at this point.

Secondly, people are rightfully mad at the airlines because there were multiple ways they could have handled this to prevent the police from ever having to get on that plane. A very easy one would have been to up the offer to say $1500 or $2000, someone would have taken it.

But... I don't understand kitchenmotors, there are so many people in this thread telling me how United was well within their rights to have police physically assault this man.

Why is Mr. United offering this "$400 Voucher" of an apology if they were well within their rights?

lol

Just because someone knows how to use a computer, sign up with their ISP or edu email, and post on this forum does not make them beyond making stupid comments.

The issue isn't overbooking, that allows carriers to charge cheaper ticket prices. And don't give some rant about corporate greed as airlines are a famously low profit industry. It's that they didn't offer enough incentives to get volunteers.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Stop trolling. Say you're really hungry and went to a buffet. Paid for your plate and got right up to the salad bar and the manager comes over and tells you to get out, what would you do? Just walk out and not eat, or tell him to fuck off? Say you tell him to fuck off and he then gets the mall cop to remove you, do you then just say ,"sorry, my bad" and leave?

Well if its a private business and they ask me to leave for now, so they wouldn't have to shut down the restaurant for being in violation of the fire code for example, and they offered to pay for a movie while I wait and gave me a voucher for 3 free meals. That they were sorry but a mistake had been made and there was no other choice.
I would leave.
If I refused and they called security to remove me..that would be on me.
i probably wouldn't support their business anymore and I would tell everyone I know how horrible the experience was.. hell if they chose me in such away as to seem bigoted or racially motivated I might even try to press charges or sue, but I wouldn't refuse to leave.

Menchi

Which is partly why they don't give a shit about your complaints and continue the practice. They already got what they wanted from you with no real fuss.

Oh, I'm from the UK. I'm not sure how prevalent over-booking is here, but once was enough for me to complain. I was very well compensated, above what was initially offered. Shitty customer service results in a valid complaint, which means you can push pretty hard.

This guy has a very valid complaint for the awful customer service and the way he was treated, but they have every right to do it, just they now need to deal with the backlash.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amazing that so may people in a workplace could combine their brains and have this be the outcome.

Nerokis

So what I'm getting from these kinds of posts is:

Protesting a bullshit decision non-violently = You're a baby having a tantrum

Resorting to violently beating an innocent person just because you can't handle a situation tactfully = You're a responsible adult

Yeah, basically.

United reduced the threshold for violence to "we overbooked a flight, and a customer refused to voluntarily leave." Isn't it obvious how this is problematic?

A stretcher!?

What the heck happened when he returned?

It's possible the stretcher was just a more convenient way to carry him out than dragging him along the floor.

Regiruler

Quickly reading over the OP and just looking at the links in the poll, this doesn't seem to even be in the top 5 of the shitometer.

This was a weird combination of bad practices and having to enforce practicality. The stuff in the poll is the assholism of legends (kicking a dog? I mean come on)

United is going to be paying this man a whole lot of money.

And hopefully after they do, they go out of business.

Nobody in their right mind should fly that airline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom