• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When other lives need you to be somewhere on time, yeah it matters. Dig up his past like this is karma for his past sins is nonsense.

It matters because he had patients to see on the other end of his flight.
That is far more important than a few United employees getting somewhere on time to avoid another flight delay or United having to pay other staff overtime.

It's his whole reason why he didn't want to go. He considered it, but after realizing that the next flight is the next day, decided he couldn't do it because of patients he had to see. And magically he was 'randomly' selected. I think his occupation had some relevance.

I guess what I'm more interested in is the way he was treated after being selected. The use of his occupation - I've seen used - more as a way of raising reader/viewers sympathy for the man. It gets very grey where we'd want to draw the line, doctors with patients are worth our sympathy but how about a daughter trying to go to a funeral? A couple trying to go to their honeymoon? A businessman trying to sign a deal with a partner? Etc. etc. I think it asks for moral judgment when we can just avoid it all together.

I think, we should be equally mad that some unfortunate customer, whether doctor or drug lord, asian or white, old or young, was yanked out of a seat he paid for because apparently airlines are allowed to do that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I guess what I'm more interested in is the way he was treated after being selected. The use of his occupation - I've seen used - more as a way of raising reader/viewers sympathy for the man. It gets very grey where we'd want to draw the line, doctors with patients are worth our sympathy but how about a daughter trying to go to a funeral? A couple trying to go to their honeymoon? A businessman trying to sign a deal with a partner? Etc. etc. I think it asks for moral judgment when we can just avoid it all together.

I think, we should be equally mad that some unfortunate customer, whether doctor or drug lord, asian or white, old or young, was yanked out of a seat he paid for because apparently airlines are allowed to do that.
All of the above should have precedent over flight crew. Him being a doctor or not has no bearing for me in the fact they grabbed, removed, and injured a paying customer. The airline was in the wrong and whether the written law agrees with them or not, public opinion has already turned against them.

Raonak

Banned
Explain exactly why that makes me a scumbag? They have a right to remove anyone, for any reason. It is their business. A shitty, horrible move, but their right as a private entity. How on earth does correctly asserting that they have that -legal- right make anyone a scumbag?

Are you concerned about the other 3 passengers who were asked to leave? I've not seen anyone point out how they were also ill treated for having to get off the plane, but because this passenger refused to, he had to be removed. I imagine the fact he is a doctor plays into this, as I imagine a hillbilly refusing to leave because "damn, I'm American!" wouldn't engender the same "Scumbag!" responses.

I mean, the fact many of the "defenders" have criticised United for the shitty move doesn't seem to register. I personally haven't been saying "Yeah! Do it, kick them off, you guys are amazing!"

It's disgusting that you're able to make sweeping generalisations about a person for pointing out that a company did a shitty thing, that by all legal means, they had the right to. Should they have done it? Probably not, but that isn't the point.

Legality is such a moot point, there are shitloads of shitty things people can legally do. Everybody understands that it was their plane, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't judge them for their shitty actions. This could've easily been avoided if the airline didn't fuck up their passenger management. They (like most corparations) value profits > people.

The defenders are people who just see it as a status quo. So jaded by the flying experience that it's a nonissue. You'll be fine. Just follow the rules. The "if you've got nothing to hide" mentality. Which is fine, if you don't see it as an issue, that's your prespective.

And honestly, the more people make a stink about this, the less likely such shitty practices will continue.

It sounds like they were offering vouchers. Fuck that, no wonder people didn't take it. They want to kick you off the plane you have a ticket for, costing you time, money, and whatever personal situation you were in, they need to offer cash. I would have been furious. $1500 in cash and someone would have taken it.

Perfect.

Mr. X

Today, the news will remind the world Asians are minorities in the USA

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...campaign=NYDailyNewsTw&utm_source=twitter.com

The beleaguered doctor — who was educated in Vietnam and later moved to the U.S. — was first arrested 14 years ago as part of an undercover investigation, documents indicate.

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure launched a probe — documentation of which surfaced online — which found Dao and accomplice Brian Case had been trading prescription drugs in exchange for sex.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/851914862401867778

C9JVSIjUQAExW47.jpg

Basically, the news trying the "no angel/karma" route.

Chumley

Banned
There really isn't any good reason to fly with these scumfucks ever again, it's not like they ever offer cheaper fares over competitors.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
There really isn't any good reason to fly with these scumfucks ever again, it's not like they ever offer cheaper fares over competitors.

Well, you're less likely to get bumped from a flight due to overbooking if nobody else is flying with them. So there's that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...campaign=NYDailyNewsTw&utm_source=twitter.com

Not sure if this tweet was just deleted or fake but in case it wasn't...

Oh, my god... it begins. Blame the victim for police brutality.

And I'm only now learning he's 69 years old. So yeah, brutalize the elderly and then smear them in the media.

Fuck this shit.

His crime? Buying a fucking airline ticket.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/851914862401867778

I was going to criticize them for their shoddy journalism, but when looking at their Twitter I stumbled upon this:

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/851916288603693057

WATCH: @RicFlairNatrBoy gets thrown out of Indiana bar after “acting like a moron” http://nydn.us/2nBhjfw

giphy.gif

I can't stay mad at you New York Daily News.

Hylian7

Sadly, I think this will be mostly forgotten in less than a week by most people once the next #viral story breaks.

Hey guys remember The Dress? What color was it again?
All the police murders were hardly forgotten, people still remember Ferguson.

I think there is a huge difference in an optical illusion vs a paying customer being brutally dragged off a plane.

catmincer

His past has literally no bearing on the situation and what they did.

I have an upcoming flight on united too, I intend for it to be my first and last.

I've had them ask for volunteers on a few flights after being seated, but every time someone would take the passes.

I think removing people after boarding is mostly weight restrictions. Dunno tho.

Yeah that's different than overbooking because it's safety related.

...Of course airlines who are smart (shady) would disguise having to remove someone due to overbooking as something else, like safety.

How much ad revenue do they get from United?

I honestly don't think it's money from United driving this, though the people pulling this shit probably deserve to be treated as if it was. They're just mining this story for all the clicks/ratings they can before people forget about it.

Gattsu25

Banned
The real news story is that people with a record are apparently fair game to have their faces smashed in.

You missed all the victim blaming from the Trayvon Martin murder? They tried to twist him having a pocket screwdriver as proof that he was a burglar (instead of, you know, a student in a shop class). They used that (and pictures of black teens THAT WEREN'T EVEN HIM) as evidence that he was a menace that needed to get murdered.

Anyway, fuck off ABC 7 and take your victim blaming hit piece somewhere else.

ColdPizza

Banned
NBC nightly news just said the doctor and his wife both agreed to the $800 compensation until they realized they wouldn't get back in time for work. Makes me wonder if United was like "too late. You volunteered "

They also mentioned his "checkered past"

NBC nightly news just said the doctor and his wife both agreed to the $800 compensation until they realized they wouldn't get back in time for work. Makes me wonder if United was like "too late. You volunteered "

Yeah it's pretty coincidental that their computer randomly selected him after that exchange. It almost makes me think that they are lying again.

Looks like UA promised the feds a few years back that every ticketed passenger on their planes would be guaranteed a seat, because the feds were about to implement consumer protections in response to an improper removal UA had done...

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-ca...lators-all-ticketed-passengers-are-guaranteed

It also looks like UA forgot to provide the man with the written statement of rights that federal law requires when involuntary denied boarding happens (I mean technically this was denied boarding, but removal so maybe they could try to make that argument lol).

Lol man if I took a picture of MY desk with all the sensitive legal documents I have on people, I'd be fired. She didn't even edit out the words.

Like lady wtf.

"Check out all this DIRT we dug up on the victim!"

I never took a journalism class but I'm 100% certain this is covered in some kind of ethics course.

Ovid

Yeah, I saw that. Has nothing to do with what happened at all.

SMH.

This story is so fucking infuriating. You get treated like fucking cattle and dragged out with people filming you, then they sell that shit to news media that proceeds to not only plaster this on loop for over 24 for MILLIONS to see, they also go OUT OF THEIR WAY to dig up dirt on you for that sweet "no angel" angle.

This fucking society, man, no respect whatsoever.

Zen Aku

I have a problem with him being addressed as a doctor a problem too. His occupation shouldn't matter this case.
The title of Doctor is a professional title earned by someone. If you called someone Mr. Johnson knowing full well that he's a doctor. By not calling him Dr. Johnson (even if he's not your personal doctor) is unprofessional. Especially in this case where he is a paying customer and his reason for not wanting to miss the flight is because he has to go see patients.

"Too late. You volunteered." would not likely work. If they didn't know the facts of the deal, there was no meeting of the minds and they obviously repudiated right after they were told they wouldn't get to their destination on time. Also this was volunteering by definition, I doubt anything had been signed to constitute a contract and since they were essentially selling their right to the seat, a statute of frauds (meaning you need a signed writing from both sides) would apply since the amount was for over $500.

Essentially even had they verbally agreed on the plane to take the compensation, this was one of those things they could have easily reneged and nobody could hold them to it.

Wereroku

This is insane who the fuck cares about what he did in the past. It has no bearing on his treatment. While he could have avoided some of this the sheer brutality on display is crazy. No person should be manhandled like this. Most of the other airlines just increase the compensation until someone bites that is the way it should be handled if they are overbooking as a way to increase profit.

ColdPizza

Banned
"Too late. You volunteered." would not likely work. If they didn't know the facts of the deal, there was no meeting of the minds and they obviously repudiated right after they were told they wouldn't get to their destination on time. Also this was volunteering by definition, I doubt anything had been signed to constitute a contract and since they were essentially selling their right to the seat, a statute of frauds (meaning you need a signed writing from both sides) would apply since the amount was for over $500.

You're trusting some impatient gate attendant to realize this?

You're trusting some impatient gate attendant to realize this?

Of course not. Just saying that it doesn't fly. Ignorance of the law isn't really an issue here.

On the other hand, I assume the news reported it at least partly to blame the couple by trying to say they backed out of a done deal. They should know better because they have legal correspondents and attorneys they can and should have consulted prior to reporting this to make sure it was even relevant.

ColdPizza

Banned
Of course not. Just saying that it doesn't fly. Ignorance of the law isn't really an issue here.

On the other hand, I assume the news reported it at least partly to blame the couple by trying to say they backed out of a done deal. They should know better because they have legal correspondents and attorneys they can and should have consulted prior to reporting this to make sure it was even relevant.

That's what I meant when I said United. Not the corporation but the crew working this flight.

That's what I meant when I said United. Not the corporation but the crew working this flight.

I understand, I'm just saying the crew can say that but it's really not relevant. The news should know better, but of course they don't care because nothing stops the smear campaign train.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if United has told certain news channels that they would direct advertising their way in exchange for victim-blaming stories. In addition to that, they get the juicy sordid tales of the man's past to get extra eyeballs too.

This situation has gotten me thinking.

As a brown person with a muslim name, is there any way I could argue with an airline screwing me that wouldn't result in me bleeding or arrested if both sides believe they're right?

I've been racking my brain and truly believe the answer is no.

As a brown person with a muslim name, is there any way I could argue with an airline screwing me that wouldn't result in me bleeding or arrested if both sides believe they're right?

JUST ACCEPT THE VOUCHERS AND NO ONE GETS HURT.

I think it would be especially tough because you'd never even get the courtesy of an "overbooking" excuse which is why this man has a great chance at a very large settlement.

For you, they'd likely use a safety concern related reason or the whole violent, belligerent, disruptive excuse.

It's messed up, but I have no doubt that's what would happen.

Makonero

http://www.latimes.com/business/laz...ed-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

Fearns, 59, is president of TriPacific Capital Advisors, an Irvine investment firm that handles more than half a billion dollars in real estate holdings on behalf of public pension funds. He had to fly to Hawaii last week for a business conference.

Fearns needed to return early so he paid about $1,000 for a full-fare, first-class ticket to Los Angeles. He boarded the aircraft at Lihue Airport on the island of Kauai, took his seat and enjoyed a complimentary glass of orange juice while awaiting takeoff.

Then, as Fearns tells it, a United employee rushed onto the aircraft and informed him that he had to get off the plane.

“I asked why,” he told me. “They said the flight was overfull.”

Fearns, like the doctor at the center of that viral video from Sunday night, held his ground. He was already on plane, already seated. He shouldn’t have to disembark.

“That’s when they told me they needed the seat for somebody more important who came at the last minute,” Fearns said. “They said they have a priority list and this other person was higher on the list than me.”

Apparently United had some mechanical troubles with the aircraft scheduled to make the flight. So the carrier swapped out that plane with a slightly smaller one with fewer first-class seats.

Suddenly it had more first-class passengers than it knew what to do with. So it turned to its “How to Screw Over Customers” handbook and determined that the one in higher standing — more miles flown, presumably — gets the seat and the other first-class passenger, even though he’s also a member of the frequent-flyer program, gets the boot.

“I understand you might bump people because a flight is full,” Fearns said. “But they didn’t say anything at the gate. I was already in the seat. And now they were telling me I had no choice. They said they’d put me in cuffs if they had to.”

You couldn’t make this up if you tried.

It shouldn’t make any difference where a passenger is seated or how much he or she paid for their ticket. But you have to admire the sheer chutzpah of United putting the arm on a full-fare, first-class traveler. If there’s anybody whose business you want to safeguard and cultivate, it’s that person.

So how could United possibly make things worse? Not to worry. This is the airline that knows how to add insult to injury.

A United employee, responding to Fearns’ complaint that he shouldn’t have to miss the flight, compromised by downgrading him to economy class and placing him in the middle seat between a married couple who were in the midst of a nasty fight and refused to be seated next to each other.

“They argued the whole way back,” Fearns recalled. “Nearly six hours. It was a lot of fun.”

United is a fucked up company.

norm9

I think you'll be fine as long as you've been bleeding before the transaction even started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom