• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Yep:

https://twitter.com/emirates/status/851845063999188994

rEhgvB1.gif

mid83

He rightfully deserves a payday, but it's also kinda insane to think how a couple people doing ridiculously bad at their job can cost a company a fortune. That's a little scary to me to be honest.

To be honest we have people on here who want an entire company to go under, which leaves tens of thousands out of a job, over the awful conduct of the involved employees, the security folks and the United CEO.

To be honest we have people on here who want an entire company to go under, which leaves tens of thousands out of a job, over the awful conduct of the involved employees, the security folks and the United CEO.

It's not a couple of people it's an entire company and their policies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

United Airlines Net Income for 2015
"UAL reported full-year net income of $4.5 billion, or $11.88 per diluted share, excluding special items. Including special items, UAL reported full-year net income of $7.3 billion. These results include a nonrecurring $3.1 billion non-cash benefit associated with the reversal of the company's income tax valuation allowance. "

Whatever they settle for, will not even put a dent in their wallet.

It's more like flying is a required means of transportation, rather than a max-mix profit scheme. With continually rising prices, decreasing costs of oil, and reduction down to passengers satisfaction. So hopefully if they eat a fist sandwich on this. They'll actually decide to solve the issues. That's what most people want. Also, ejecting their CEO is a damn good idea after this fiasco. He has a damn stupid mouth.

But of course, that is the defense typically they put off that has people crying about how they are being villainized. Poor billion dollar company for treating passengers like shit.

Audioboxer

Doesn't matter, it's just blowing off steam. Happens every time there is a company scandal, people asking for the whole thing to go under and everyone to pay, even if you're working on an aeroplane 100 miles away its "your fault" too for working for UA. They ain't gonna go under, far too profitable and successful. Best that can be done is pressure for the business to learn, change and never do anything like this again.

CEO needs to go, security staff need to go (they aren't part of UA), manager on the aeroplane arguably needs to go, and that's it really. The coin needs flipped that someone else will come in and somehow do better with the brand. Bloodlust for everyone to lose their jobs and contribute to the unemployment figures is just anger getting stated. You can hate a company but most people don't want Joe Bloggs unemployed because of his manager/CEO. Hence the higher ups are the ones who should take the fall.

I have a friend who works for United posting all kinds of inflammatory shit about customers this week and defending the airline.

I'm thinking I should tell them they are one screenshot away from ending up in the national news cycle and out of a job.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I have a friend who works for United posting all kinds of inflammatory shit about customers this week and defending the airline.

I'm thinking I should tell them they are one screenshot away from ending up in the national news cycle and out of a job.

Pls do. The better the picture of if it's a company cultural problem or just shitty individuals the better the chances for improvement.

mid83

United Airlines Net Income for 2015
"UAL reported full-year net income of $4.5 billion, or $11.88 per diluted share, excluding special items. Including special items, UAL reported full-year net income of $7.3 billion. These results include a nonrecurring $3.1 billion non-cash benefit associated with the reversal of the company's income tax valuation allowance. "

Whatever they settle for, will not even put a dent in their wallet.

It's more like flying is a required means of transportation, rather than a max-mix profit scheme. With continually rising prices, decreasing costs of oil, and reduction down to passengers satisfaction. So hopefully if they eat a fist sandwich on this. They'll actually decide to solve the issues. That's what most people want. Also, ejecting their CEO is a damn good idea after this fiasco. He has a damn stupid mouth.

But of course, that is the defense typically they put off that has people crying about how they are being villainized. Poor billion dollar company for treating passengers like shit.

I'm not talking about people hoping they get sued. If they lose a lawsuit, they deserve it. I'm referring to the people who are calling for the company to literally go out of business which would cause more more damage to innocent people more than anything else.

The reply below yours gets it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Even if it was him it was utterly and entirely fucking irrelevant in the first place. There's videos of what happened, he was simply refusing to get up out of the seat he paid for, not pulling a fucking gun on these morons.
Truth. I still haven't read up on what United's lawyers dredged up because IT'S NOT IMPORTANT TO THE ISSUE IN THE OP OF THIS THREAD. It's irrelevant.

mid83

Not owned by white people, that's what he meant.

Not sure why every single comment always has to be tied to race.

It has to do with the fact that American based airlines are having to compete with all these foreign airlines who are often subsidized by tax dollars.

Slayven

He rightfully deserves a payday, but it's also kinda insane to think how a couple people doing ridiculously bad at their job can cost a company a fortune. That's a little scary to me to be honest.
They left a man broken and bleeding over 800 dollars.

Any consumer-facing industry is only worth as much as its product offering and customer service. Your employee selection and policies should reflect your commitment to both.

The problem with commoditized industries is that they take for granted that customers need their services, which leads to abusive price gouging, poor, rarely improving features, and a culture of anti-customer piling on. Basically Comcast, in a nutshell. This attitude starts at the top and bleeds into the employee base.

There is no incentive to improve in a heavily subsidized, anti competitive market. So it's only when these horrible practices make the news that they do any introspection. Remember the bank that had hundreds of employees creating fake accounts for customers to get their numbers up for promotions? Why should the bank not suffer for fostering that kind of atmosphere?

The part I still dont understand is why they couldnt find another way to get these employees to Louisville. I did some research:

- This flight was scheduled to either board or take off at 540pm.
- They had to be there for work the next day, not a matter of hours.
- The drive between the two airports is roughly 6 hours.

Yet they were offering 3 grand in accommodations to get those seats. These United employees seem to lack common sense.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The part I still dont understand is why they couldnt find another way to get these employees to Louisville. I did some research:

Yet they were offering 3 grand in accommodations to get those seats. These United employees seem to lack common sense.

Pretty much. No one wanted to make the margin call and call on a decision without bypassing the roadblocks with common sense. Instead they decided to make a scene and it's caused a giant uproar in today's society where everyone has a camera and the ability to spread news quicker than lightning.

Slayven

Pretty much. No one wanted to make the margin call and call on a decision without bypassing the roadblocks with common sense. Instead they decided to make a scene and it's caused a giant uproar in today's society where everyone has a camera and the ability to spread news quicker than lightning.

That shit comes from the top, bet there is some bullshit policy that folks are told to follow or get fired.

marrec

Banned
They left a man broken and bleeding over 800 dollars.

Moreover, it was the terrible policies at place in United that lead to this being a possibility in the first place. Sure there were only a few employees directly involved, but this is what they were trained to do. So much so that the CEO's first response was to congratulate them on a job fuckin' well done.

Doctor isn't going to need to be a doctor anymore and rightfully so. Hopefully this leads to actual change at United from the top down.

Slayven

Which will potentially cost them millions more in lost business. Should have just raised the offer until someone bit.

Moreover, it was the terrible policies at place in United that lead to this being a possibility in the first place. Sure there were only a few employees directly involved, but this is what they were trained to do. So much so that the CEO's first response was to congratulate them on a job fuckin' well done.

Doctor isn't going to need to be a doctor anymore and rightfully so. Hopefully this leads to actual change at United from the top down.

Lets not forget what started this, a multinational, multi-billion dollar transportation company didn't have 4 people where they needed to be. And this ends with a man broken and bleeding over 800 dollars.

Interesting that United have now openly admitted that the man was not at fault.

Yeah, I think they were looking for loopholes but didn't find any

Their army of lawyers probably figured it is quicker to get it to go away than to fight it

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Their army of lawyers probably figured it is quicker to get it to go away than to fight it

Openly admitting this sort of thing puts them at a major disadvantage when negotiating a settlement, though. Guess they're trading off damage done in bad PR every time their CEO opens his mouth against the increased cost of settling.

Slayven

Openly admitting this sort of thing puts them at a major disadvantage when negotiating a settlement, though. Guess they're trading off damage done in bad PR every time their CEO opens his mouth against the increased cost of settling.

Between Pepsi and United, I think PR consultants are about to get paid.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So was the "no angel" smear campaign fake news, or was the "the got the wrong guy" fake news?

I can't tell which fake news is not fake and which not fake news is not not fake anymore.

SpartanN92

Banned
Man them getting the wrong guy is bad but if I am correct isn't Newsworthiness a defense against proving NYT Actual Malice?

News outlets have some protection for getting things wrong in the heat of the moment when the news is fresh and I bet that covers mistaken identities though it doesn't look good.

Any attorneys on the board care to answer this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom