• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Oregon students get out of hand, pelt professor's car with snowballs

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/08/unive...-as-professor-and-his-car-get-pelted-4222331/

Police are investigating whether a criminal offence took place after a group of students took a snowball fight one step too far.

The mammoth snowballing session was organised by a university’s football team and what began as friendly play-fighting soon escalated.

In a video posted on YouTube, a number of people can be seen hurling snowballs at passing cars and at one point a driver – believed to be a professor – opens his door to be covered with a bucketful of the stuff.

A statement from the University of Oregon in the US, where the incident occurred, said: ‘Police hope to determine the identities of those who were throwing snowballs, whether they are UO students and whether their actions constitute a criminal act.’

The university’s dean, Paul Shang, added: ‘Consequences are clear for those whose actions reflect poorly upon the university or violate its standards for student behaviour.’

As reported in the university’s newspaper, the Daily Emerald, a petition has also been created calling for ‘deep disciplinary action’ against those who took part in the incident, which happened on Friday afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUbx8XwOlU&feature=youtu.be

Disrespectful punks. I hope these guys get disciplined for this. I have to say the driver showed remarkable restraint in handling the situation.

pants

I watched that, and it looked like some kids trying to have fun. At the end of the video, they even approach the professor and have a conversation with him, presumably cause he was upset.

At least they we'rent off buttchugging somewhere.

Urge to kill.... rising

I watched that, and it looked like some kids trying to have fun. At the end of the video, they even approach the professor and have a conversation with him, presumably cause he was upset.

At least they we'rent off buttchugging somewhere.

I'd agree with that when its just the snowballs. But when it becomes people blocking off the car, dumping tubs of snow on the car, dunking snow on the passengers when the door opens, etc, they are a bunch of twats.

Rich!

Haven't watched the video, but from the thumbnail that guy looks like Walter White.

It's cool, he's gonna go all Heisenberg on their asses soon enough.

But seriously, I remember when we had a snow day back at high school about ten years ago. The school didn't close, but there were no lessons. Instead, everyone was invited to a massive fuck off snowball fight in the school field (good few acres). Teachers got right into it.

Considering the state of health and safety precautions here in the UK, I'm not sure how they got away with it. But it was awesome.

IISANDERII

I thought these American Universities were super expensive. And you have this poor professor driving a Nissan Verca.

Arcteryx

Change "students" to football players(lets be honest: they don't do much studying). I highly doubt anything will come of it. The school is so far up it's own ass with respect to sports that I wouldn't be surprised if the Prof. wasn't required to apologize for not gladly eating snow to the face. When I was at the school, the cops blatantly avoided handing out citations to football players at parties.

There's a difference between a snowball fight with willing participants and having your movement impeded as well as your view(in a car no less).

Entitled assholes. nuff said.

Change "students" to football players(lets be honest: they don't do much studying). I highly doubt anything will come of it. The school is so far up it's own ass with respect to sports that I wouldn't be surprised if the Prof. wasn't required to apologize for not gladly eating snow to the face. When I was at the school, the cops blatantly avoided handing out citations to football players at parties.

There's a difference between a snowball fight with willing participants and having your movement impeded as well as your view(in a car no less).

I didn't see that they were football players. I only read the article, I haven't seen the video yet.

RS4-

I've seen snowballs crack car and bus windows, so I'm glad that that wasn't the case here.

Still fucking dumb though.

Rafterman

Banned
Flawless Victory.

I'm glad I grew up in the time before people started taking everything so fucking seriously.

Throw snowballs as your shit head friends all day long, but throwing them at strangers, impeding their driving, and then hitting them when they get out of the car are dick moves.

TheMan

yeah, not that big of a deal. annoying yes, but they were just throwing snowballs. If they had been throwing rocks i'd be all for expelling the lot of them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah, not that big of a deal. annoying yes, but they were just throwing snowballs. If they had been throwing rocks i'd be all for expelling the lot of them.

Snowballs packed right enough can be as hard as rocks. They can also be ice in some instances

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I would be livid if someone threw a tub of snow into my car.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If only the faculty had been armed with snowballs of their own. This entire tragedy could have been prevented.

exceptional

OT: watched the video, not really sure what should be done in this case. It was clearly harmless, but also childish and stupid not to cut it out sooner.

Oh come the fuck on. Criminal charges? They were jerks, yeah. But they threw snow at someone. Maybe an apology, make them spend a couple hours doing community service at most.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
a snowball fight results in a police investigation.....

the fuck is wrong with you America

They basically assaulted the guy and his car. You don't get in the middle of the road and stop traffic and throw buckets of snow and expect to not have any consequences.

Dude Abides

Banned
This crossed the line from playful fun to wanton douchebaggery. They shouldnt be charged criminally but a small fine wouldnt be unreasonable.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
They basically assaulted the guy and his car. You don't get in the middle of the road and stop traffic and throw buckets of snow and expect to not have any consequences.

Why do people keep fixating on the bucket?

That was the most harmless thing they did to his car. It looked like some of those kids were going to tear a rotator-cuff throwing the snow balls. That can do actual damage.

sk3

Banned
Depending on how wet the snow is, a packed snowball can be just about as hard as a ball of ice. Fortunately in this instance the snow looked pretty dry and fluffy.

How many of you would be ok with people throwing balls of ice at you and your vehicle? When it is snowing hard and your windshield is obscured, can you tell the difference between a snowball and an iceball?

This is not ok. We need to start expecting college students act like adults. This is not high school, they are not minors.

Retro

Throw snowballs as your shit head friends all day long, but throwing them at strangers, impeding their driving, and then hitting them when they get out of the car are dick moves.

It hardly looks like heavy traffic. They're pelting cars as they pull out of a parking lot. And let's not forget, It's snow. Unless it's densely packed, it's usually pretty soft (it looks like most of it's turning to powder before it even hits the cars in the video) and if it gets in / on anything, it's just water. Does it really merit a police investigation? Is it going to be considered assault and vandalism?

I see a bunch of college kids goofing off in what looks like a parking lot on or just off campus. Give 'em the chair.

quickwhips

What a bunch of assholes. Hopefully they will get expelled. Everyone that was their was old enough to know better and shouldn't be doing what they were doing.

spaceboy

Banned

Entitled assholes. nuff said.

You understand that most universities have a mandatory study hall for their athletes, right?

It hardly looks like heavy traffic. They're pelting cars as they pull out of a parking lot. And let's not forget, It's snow. Unless it's densely packed, it's usually pretty soft (it looks like most of it's turning to powder before it even hits the cars in the video) and if it gets in / on anything, it's just water. Does it really merit a police investigation? Is it going to be considered assault and vandalism?

I see a bunch of college kids goofing off in what looks like a parking lot on or just off campus. Give 'em the chair.

Ugh "kids goofing off" is the dumbest response to assholes being assholes. They don't deserve jail, but they do deserve punishment.

Madness

a snowball fight results in a police investigation.....

the fuck is wrong with you America

The fuck is wrong with you? Snowballs hurt. They can break glass, leave dents. Plus the guy is a random passerby and a Professor to boot.

In high school, some moron a year younger started to throw snowballs at passing cars during lunch. One shattered this guy's passenger window. The driver got out and laid a solid asskicking on the kid.

Would you like it if some kids started pelting your car when you're trying to go home, you open the door and they throw snow in your car, hit you in the face?

Arcteryx

You understand that most universities have a mandatory study hall for their athletes, right?

Yes, a cushy baller place to "study" their special courses.

http://ssa.uoregon.edu/jaqua.html

lounge-arear2drz.jpg

Retro

Ugh "kids goofing off" is the dumbest response to assholes being assholes. They don't deserve jail, but they do deserve punishment.

If the college wants to punish them, that's understandable. They're being kinda dickish and they're likely on school property. But reading some of the comments in this thread you'd think they'd dragged some random passerby out of their car and violated them with an icicle and should get hauled away in handcuffs.

Nobody was hurt, nothing was damaged. "Oh my god, but you don't know snow! it totally could have-" No. Nothing happened. It's another harmless, stupid thing getting trumped up by the internet.

One of the kids was standing in front of the car so it couldn't drive away. Surprised the driver didn't run the kid over. Stupid kids

So you think vehicular assault is a reasonable response to... Class F Dancing with an intent to commit tomfoolery?

VASPER

Banned
Such a tragic event, People throwing snowballs put them all in jail for this horrific event. For real its not that big of a deal, get that underwear out your ass and have a little more fun with life.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Such a tragic event, People throwing snowballs put them all in jail for this horrific event. For real its not that big of a deal, get that underwear out your ass and have a little more fun with life.
If there is damage to the car charges should be filed. I wouldn't be outraged if assault/battery charges were brought up either.

Now if someone in the car panics and runs one of these dumb fucks over I'm gonna hear "Oh, they were just joshin'!".

Those fucking snowballs can hurt like fuck if they squeeze em nice and tight to compact the snow and really.

They're fucking assholes and I really hope charges get filed.

Balphon

Snow like that is pretty much unheard of in that part of Oregon, so I can understand why they got carried away. Doesn't excuse it, though. A few people in there probably deserve to be ticketed.
Assault charges, however, would be a bit much.

Doesn't give anyone the legal right to block traffic and impede someone from reaching their destination.

Have all the fucking fun in life you want but your fun ends the moment it impedes on someone else's right to travel unimpeded.

If they just threw some snowballs while he's driving that'd be one thing. But intentionally blocking traffic like that then hitting the guy when he gets out of his car isn't in the name of "fun."

Madness

Replace snowballs with rocks, what's the difference? Because it hurts less? People are thinking back to the day they had snowball fights with their friends or brothers. Snow, packed together hurts harder than a tennis ball at times. When I was in high school, a guy shattered someone's passenger window with a simple snowball.

It's not about underwear in the ass, as opposed to respect for others. The guy was a professor. Would you have liked it if they did that to you or your dad? I don't agree with jail time, but I do agree with disciplinary action, maybe make them do some service for the school.

What if this was high school, would you expect students to pelt the principal in the face with snowballs, throw snow in his car as he opens his door and prevent him from leaving and not be suspended or expelled?

I'm more shocked at the defense force. These are adults, not kids. They're in university ffs.

Liseda

Holy shit, what age are these "students"?
That's like 13 year old behavior and barely even that.
I can MAYBE understand "playfully" throw a snowball at a car that stands still (if you're 12 years old) but pouring snow inside and blocking his view? what the fuck.

Balphon

Doesn't give anyone the legal right to block traffic and impede someone from reaching their destination.

Have all the fucking fun in life you want but your fun ends the moment it impedes on someone else's right to travel unimpeded.

If they just threw some snowballs while he's driving that'd be one thing. But intentionally blocking traffic like that then hitting the guy when he gets out of his car isn't in the name of "fun."

Probably worth mentioning that the video was taken on campus, and while those roads are technically still "streets," they are primarily used for pedestrian traffic. Vehicle use is typically minor to nonexistent even in ideal weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom