• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

Blizzard

Banned
Didn't see these posted yet.

ue4_042fd3v.jpg
I really like that shot, if the soft shadowing on the ground is realtime and has awesum performance.

BurntPork

Banned
Sorry but I haven't seen any current PC game that can pull that off (texture wise) Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Maybe it's the terrible art throwing me off, or maybe my screen sucks, but a lot of the textures look blurry, especially that one of the demon's face.

I guess I can say that the shots overall are comparable to CG cutscenes, though.

Ya think so? Don't think it could be more obvious, lol

I am starting to appreciate the stills more than before. Those insanely high res screens show certain things we haven't seen in current gen game yet. Plus, if prebaked shadows are history then it leads me to believe dev time and cost not only being saved but also being more natural.

I am really liking how the light from the volcanic Mjolnir is reflected off of the demon's armour.

You'd be digging it literally and living large if you knew that one's made out of platinum and the other is gold.

lol.

King_Moc

Banned
Really can't tell from these shots. Needs to be seen in motion, especially lighting is as it is described. They should let us all download a tech demo after the E3 reveal. If only to hear people claim they can't tell the difference between that and last gen.

Blizzard

Banned
Why wouldn't the shadowing be real-time when they have been talking up that change?
I guess I feel like I'm supposed to caveat everything in this thread until we see a video. =P

The UDK -did- have some decent daytime shadows if you used that one giant sunlight, but if I recall correctly the performance sucked and the shadows might not have been so nice and soft.

nordique

I think it looks absolutely fantastic. I am really happy with these screens so far.

I hope people realize, those who are expecting a crazy quantum leap from the next gen home consoles (including Xbox next, Ps4, even those expecting such from Wii U) that this was likely done on the most powerful PC hardware using the best nVidia cards currently available.

So temper those next gen expectations. Keep them in check, get excited for the video of this not to mention the eventual true reveal at E3, and enjoy these screens as they are.

Those mountains are just wow.

I love how Epic makes it sound like all their own engines short-comings were universal to the whole industry. Let's ignore the fact that Cry Engine 2 did 100% dynamic lighting back in 2007.

Exactly.

Then the twist: Willard reveals that both the cinematic scene and the following tech demo haven’t been running off a game file but in real time from within UE4′s game editor. It’s like finding out that the actors on TV are actually tiny people living inside your set. It also helps him show that changes can be made to the game’s design and code, recompiled and executed nearly instantly—a technical feat that has been simply unheard-of in game development. And just like that, the silence in the room becomes reverent. The videogame industry has changed.

Again, hasnt cryengine already been doing this for awhile?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The UDK -did- have some decent daytime shadows if you used that one giant sunlight, but if I recall correctly the performance sucked and the shadows might not have been so nice and soft.

They had a whole tech demo centered around it (showed the entire day-night cycle). I suspect it was a bit brute force compared to the new implementation.

Yes, but they aren't used by a scary number of devs.

Blizzard

Banned
They had a whole tech demo centered around it (showed the entire day-night cycle). I suspect it was a bit brute force compared to the new implementation.
Yep, that was the one I was referring to. I spent a good bit of time removing stuff from that tech demo to try to get good performance. XD

*edit* Actually side note, I feel like that day night demo did not use many speed trees for some reason, but I could be wrong.

Blizzard

Banned
CryEngine presumably was, and to some extent even UE3/UDK had a play in editor window feature. However UE3 has been used by lots of developers, they try to have efficient toolchains to go from content creation tools to the editor, they may have had better support for developers than CryTek, etc.

Don't forget that when Crysis 2 came out, it was hammered by people for having the blurry temporal AA etc. etc. I seem to recall people complaining loudly about various things, so I think each engine and company has their own issues. Who knows, maybe Epic will be proved to have screwed over the Too Human company and will go bankrupt. :p

Yes, but they aren't used by a scary number of devs.

I wasn't speaking on how many devs use the engine, just on how in both quotes Epic and the more importantly the media are projecting as if this is an industry wide problem that only the great team at Epic has finally been able to crack.

The second quote is just all out repulsive. PR masquerading as journalism. It's pathetic.

lednerg

I think it's obvious Epic chose the wrong type of scene to introduce UE4 to the world. The reason Samaritan worked so well was because it had elements we are used to seeing in real life - an urban setting and a man's face. We already know what those things should look like, so it was easy to immediately gauge how photo-realistic it was. The UE4 demo, on the other hand, is based in a mythological D&D world where our only main points of reference are video games and Lord of the Rings. There are some elements like the ruins, mountains, and the particle effects which are obviously impressive, but the parts don't add up to an effective whole, unfortunately. I'm sure seeing it in motion will help greatly, but that shouldn't have been the case; Samaritan stills sure didn't have that problem.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wasn't speaking on how many devs use the engine, just on how in both quotes Epic and the more importantly the media are projecting as if this is an industry wide problem that only the great team at Epic has finally been able to crack.

The second quote is just all out repulsive. PR masquerading as journalism. It's pathetic.

Any dev with half a brain sees through the bullshit PR/journalism. However, when you are *required* to use Unreal engine, those features are something to look forward to.

And to any company that currently uses UE3, Epic has made sticking with UE a lot more appealing since they are now on par with the best alternatives out there in terms of feature set.

The fact that journalists are at the event is idiotic as they have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to this stuff and just end regurgitating PR bullshit.

jett

D-Member
Pretty dumb to release screens without a video. The thing they are trying to showcase here would look a heck of a lot better in motion.

Shikoro

Things are heating up with the new screenshots.

I like the focus on global illumination and soft shadows.
Need more displacement and tessellation, though. :D
In motion, of course.

injurai

Banned
How do I say "meh" x1000. Looks no better than current gen and Crytek3 already outclasses it. I know its probably just a bad demo with bad art assets but come one...

soultron

Banned
How do I say "meh" x1000. Looks no better than current gen and Crytek3 already outclasses it. I know its probably just a bad demo with bad art assets but come one...

It's running of existing technology. I think you're missing the point a bit.

Seeing things running in real-time and switching effects on/off will be impressive, no doubt. I'd love to see the new particle effect stuff they're talking about. That's going to be huge, in my opinion.

abasm

As good as Samaritan looks, it's the culmination of UE3, and required an unreasonable amount of computing power to run in real-time. UE4 may not look substantially improved now, but it appears to be both lowering the bar and raising the ceiling at the same time; that is to say, it appears to make Samaritan-level graphics easier to create and run, as well as bring the cutting-edge of CG within the realm of real-time rendering.

What I really want to see are system requirements for the first round of UE4 games...though I know we won't see any for at least a year.

jett

D-Member
However it is being achieved, the lighting definitely looks much better and more natural in these pictures than it did in the Samaritan, that's for sure.

It's running of existing technology. I think you're missing the point a bit.

Seeing things running in real-time and switching effects on/off will be impressive, no doubt. I'd love to see the new particle effect stuff they're talking about. That's going to be huge, in my opinion.

It's running on a single GTX 680. It's a foregone conclusion that next-gen consoles will feature a weaker GPU.

KKRT00

Top Bottom