• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

Blizzard

Banned
I must be one of the only people who doesn't really care about tessellation in CE3, UE3, or UE4. I'd rather have better lighting or better performance than take the hit for tessellation, at least for the games I've seen it in. If it's used very sparingly and the performance is comparale to faking it, then maybe.

RedSwirl

I'm not impressed. It does look good though.

A remake of this flythrough with all this details would have been great instead of this demon crap!

Better yet, just show us what Gears or UT would look like in UE4. A good example would be that one character model they showed off in each version of UE. I guess they can do that once they start working on UT4 or something. I wonder if UT4 will be F2P...

Bombadil

Banned
Guys, this may not look impressive now, but you should wait to see what it will look like a couple of months down the line.

The UE3 demo that Epic demonstrated in 2005, or 2006 actually looked like crap compared to Gears of War.

I'm eagerly awaiting what Epic and other developers can do with UE4. I think they're going to knock it out of the park.

sky

In previous engines, one floating ember was enough to slow performance considerably; a shower of them was impossible.

Huh? Since when does one floating particle slow performance? Lolz...

The pics look awesome in and of themselves, but underwhelming for "next gen".

Huh? Since when does one floating particle slow performance? Lolz...

The pics look awesome in and of themselves, but underwhelming for "next gen".

inSg5URNiwRRh.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I find it ironic that people are underwhelmed by this considering tech demo's are quite often better than what you'd get through most of the systems life cycle. I mean just look at the UE3 tech demo, UE4 may not even end up looking this good.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep. As I've expected all along.
This Gen will be a minor leap at best.
Anyone expecting another PS2>PS3 jump will be disappointed.

scitek

"And most important, it will make the videogames that have defined the past decade look like puppet shows."

I LOL'ed.. more like I'm the puppet master and I pulled your strings. Shut these fucking geek wanna be "Avatar" gfx engine coders up!! For the past 5 years everything looks the same and with 1080p being the standard there is little to no room for improvement. If they really can prove reducing the time to create whatever it is by two years then fine, otherwise it's just PR at work.

So 480p games couldn't have looked any better than they did at the end of last gen, either? Resolution's all that matters? The hell?

This thread is great for spotting who doesn't know what the hell they are looking at.

This demo probably looks absurdly impressive in motion.

Coolwhip

Banned
It's funny how this would have blown people off their socks a few years ago. But now it's just an incremental improvement. Especially for people with good pcs, this isn't really all that special.

KKRT00

Seriously, even with super high resolution, I don't find those shot impressive. Looks like an actual gen game. I mean, look at BattleField 3 on PC, look at Crysis 2.

Those arent current gen games, rather something between gens.
Compare consoles games to this.

And still, i see so many things on those shots that arent even in C2, but of course cant say much about C3. For me C3 could be first next-gen game.

And if they add procedural destruction and displacement + some fuild/cloth simulation to this, it will be different than anything You saw lately.

they upgraded their lighting engine hurray. Its fake raytracing. Everything else is already available even the lighting in frostbite and ce3.5

UE4 represents nothing less than the foundation for the next decade of gaming. It may make Microsoft and Sony rethink how much horsepower they’ll need for their new hardware. It will streamline game development, allowing studios to do in 12 months what can take two years or more today. And most important, it will make the videogames that have defined the past decade look like puppet shows.

I'm perfectly fine with the incremental improvements if this is true(which it probably isn't).

The games industry desperately needs to be able to make games easier.

TUROK

they upgraded their lighting engine hurray. Its fake raytracing. Everything else is already available even the lighting in frostbite and ce3.5
Ugh. Rasterization by default is "fake raytracing." Please leave these sort of comments to the people who know what they're talking about.

Ugh. Rasterization by default is "fake raytracing." Please leave these sort of comments to the people who know what they're talking about.

I also know that but, mark rein was specifically saying lighting is bouncing a larger number of times then current gen. More times does not equal "real" it was just hyperbole. Everyone is still just faking raytracing with extra effects.

I find it ironic that people are underwhelmed by this considering tech demo's are quite often better than what you'd get through most of the systems life cycle. I mean just look at the UE3 tech demo, UE4 may not even end up looking this good.

This impresses me less than some current gen games. I'd say there's no way then, next gen wont look way better than this.

It's just a bad demo with few man hours spent on it is my guess. The original UE3 shots, were basically Gears of War game shots. So it had a real game behind it. This was just a few guys throwing together a demo.

Also I really think it will look a billion times better in motion. I can sort of imagine how impressive all those sparks would be in real time.

UE3 was not the best looking engine last gen, its not like this is the limit for next gen consoles, what we see right here in these screens. This is just a taste of the beginning of next gen stuff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This impresses me less than some current gen games. I'd say there's no way then, next gen wont look way better than this.

It's just a bad demo with few man hours spent on it is my guess. The original UE3 shots, were basically Gears of War game shots. So it had a real game behind it. This was just a few guys throwing together a demo.

If what you're saying is true there's no way they'd release it to the public now. You usually release things to build hype, not kill it.

squidyj

If that gold statue shot is truly on the fly without any sort of specialized production then that would be incredibly cool. I can't help but wish, though, that with the massive number of particles, they managed to find a way to properly blur them instead of having them get lost in the background DoF, ah well.

bomma_man

Not that I really care that much but people probably shouldn't pass too much judgment until we see something that doesn't look like it was designed by a 14 year old metal head. Although that doesn't really effect the technology as such a non-offensive artstyle will certainly help it shine.

Fezan

I think people will be very pleased seeing this in motion(no insider info here just a guess).
Looking at some of the screenshots like the eyes of that creature and one or two other it looks like UE4 is more focusing on particle effects and physics.just look ate eyes and imagine every particle emitting light and interacting with its own light with air and body.

It will be like comparing Lava Titan from GOW3 to that of wrath of titans

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
2 things I'm looking for in this engine over the previous.

Better lighting solutions
EDIT: Sounds like its gonna be good
Cliff said:
UE4 introduces dynamic lighting, which behaves in response to its own inherent properties rather than a set of preprogrammed effects. In other words, no more faking it. Every light in a scene bounces off every surface, creating accurate reflections. Colors mix, translucent materials glow, and objects viewed through water refract. And it’s all being handled on the fly, as it happens. That’s not realistic—that’s real.

Better normal map compression and calculations.

And I'm really looking forward to see the enhancements to the editors. Material, kismit and cascade <3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would like to officially go on the record stating that it was which1spink that broke all your monitors and html tables, not me. :lol

KingJ2002

Wow... now that's impressive for a first gen (next-gen) attempt

I think this is the generation where we will see diminishing returns in terms of graphical detail.

there should be a bigger focus on animation and immersion from UE4 onwards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think people will be very pleased seeing this in motion(no insider info here just a guess).
Looking at some of the screenshots like the eyes of that creature and one or two other it looks like UE4 is more focusing on particle effects and physics.just look ate eyes and imagine every particle emitting light and interacting with its own light with air and body.

It will be like comparing Lava Titan from GOW3 to that of wrath of titans
That's great because UE 3.0 titles typically have awful particle effects.

PewPewK

I honestly think that Good Samaritan looks more impressive than these stills. But I'll hold off final judgement until I can see a video of UE4 in action; it's likely that these stills just don't do the engine justice.

Top Bottom