• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

I also know that but, mark rein was specifically saying lighting is bouncing a larger number of times then current gen. More times does not equal "real" it was just hyperbole. Everyone is still just faking raytracing with extra effects.

Not sure how him saying UE4 is going to do more light bounces than UE3 (which isn't saying much) == Mark Rein saying UE4 does raytracing.

Nilaul

Two pics from before, but this time hi res version from CVG.

Story Behind this,

So the new final boss in Infinity blade castle decided to grow a volcano in the castle, cool but not as cool as carving out his face on the moon. :p

This is definitely not anywhere near avatar graphics though.

Also showing snowy mountains is the perfect way of masking any graphical short comings. Not much geometry, a lot is just hidden by snow. Also snowy mountains always look good.
Its a different story when you have these mountains covered with a never ending city, or jungle.

I think Epic needs to do something with there art director.

Did anyone have to say wait to see it in motion when they were unveiling last generation? Cause I'm pretty sure still screens showed it off pretty well.

Oh, and 20 bucks Sony will release pre-rendered CGI again and the Playstation fans will fall for it thinking its realtime again.

Tzeentch

REALLY looking forward to the better lighting system (Lightmass can blow me) and hopefully an improved Landscape tool.

I guess this explains why UDK missed last months update and this months is pretty lackluster.

Did anyone have to say wait to see it in motion when they were unveiling last generation? Cause I'm pretty sure still screens showed it off pretty well.

Oh, and 20 bucks Sony will release pre-rendered CGI again and the Playstation fans will fall for it thinking its realtime again.

Incredible. Simply incredible.

What the fuck does this have to with Epic and Unreal Engine 4?

They shouldn't have allowed this stuff to go public if they weren't prepared to let us see it in motion. That is where most of the advances should be most evident.

MrBig

Meh, these shots looks like a "current-gen" PC game.

There is no current gen pc game (discounting Crysis 2's ridiculously useless tess) that has the polycount as what has been shown in some of these scenes, and the particle count is immense as well as the realistically calculated lighting. The resolution of the textures, assuming that the demo was built with console restrictions in mind, suggests a vram limitation in the next gen PS360 though, they're pretty terrible.

pottuvoi

Banned
they upgraded their lighting engine hurray. Its fake raytracing. Everything else is already available even the lighting in frostbite and ce3.5
There is no fake ray tracing you either trace some rays or you do not.
I'm willing to belive that they do have some form of tracing going on. ;)

Mario007

Whether it was right or wrong to mention it in this thread, he is right.

I'm not falling for shit until a game is playable.

Also, I'm underwhelmed by the shots.

Well GG did spend most of this gen pretty much chasing that CGI trailer and they got pretty damn close.

Re UE4, to a lay person's naked eye this looks like stuff that's already possible. Nothing exciting. I mean there could be all this cool technical things going on, but it's not noticable enough for the 'wow' effect. I think Epic should have picked a human again for the demo, though. It's much easier to show off how impressive your engine is when you're showing humans as you can say its 'like real life'.

Also let's not forget that UE3 is not the best graphical engine for current gen so we can anticipate there will be engines that outperform UE4 as well

Well GG did spend most of this gen pretty much chasing that CGI trailer and they got pretty damn close.

Re UE4, to a lay person's naked eye this looks like stuff that's already possible. Nothing exciting. I mean there could be all this cool technical things going on, but it's not noticable enough for the 'wow' effect. I think Epic should have picked a human again for the demo, though. It's much easier to show off how impressive your engine is when you're showing humans as you can say its 'like real life'.

Also let's not forget that UE3 is not the best graphical engine for current gen so we can anticipate there will be engines that outperform UE4 as well

It's good that GG could come close to the trailer, but nothing forgives the bald face lie that it was actual in-game footage. The only worse offense was that there were dumbasses that believed it.

kevm3

From the screenshots I'm not all that impressed, but I need to see this in motion. The hugest things for me will be the lighting and shadows followed by physics (particles, etc.) If we get realistic lighting and no more blocky, pixelated shadows, that will be a significant upgrade. The mountain screenshots looks the best overall to me.

Demon Ice

Banned
DOF looks nice. Mountain shot is impressive, but when have games ever even come close to looking like these tech demos? And the fact that there are underwhelming textures IN A TECH DEMO does not bode well.

I must be one of the only people who doesn't really care about tessellation in CE3, UE3, or UE4. I'd rather have better lighting or better performance than take the hit for tessellation, at least for the games I've seen it in. If it's used very sparingly and the performance is comparale to faking it, then maybe.

tessellation is what allows for better performance. All it is is a smoother, more reliable and more flexible version to the LOD system we use today, with the added benefit of being able to render out actual geometry instead of normals.

Also, we're probably going to be looking at a dedicated hardware tessellator in the next consoles so it wont effect performance either way.

Developers either need to give every character a pair of goggles, visor, or glasses or they need to stop using lensflare, I don't get why it's become so popular lately. It doesn't happen in real-life unless you're constantly looking through a lense.

tessellation is what allows for better performance. All it is is a smoother, more reliable and more flexible version to the LOD system we use today, with the added benefit of being able to render out actual geometry instead of normals.

Also, we're probably going to be looking at a dedicated hardware tessellator in the next consoles so it wont effect performance either way.

That would be pretty great to get dedicated hardware tessellation.

What's the joke?

I don't get it either. I still think many games in 2005 on my PC look just fine. Counter Strike: Source look serviceable, as does Half-Life 2. The thing that sold most people this generation was resolution and image quality, but I already had that on my PC. And every year I get less and less impressed. Even Metro 2033 on high didn't wow me much in its heyday. Maybe he's agreeing with us?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Crappy art to show off your tech, and...well...it's screenshots. I can't really drool at that when half the tech wizardly looks best when in motion.

Exactly. I'm sure it looks incredible (far from totally shitting on Samaritan I'd guess) in motion, but we're at a point were is difficult to get excited at screenshots, in that regard we've hit a point of diminishing returns I think.
In motion, where it counts in fact, it'll be another story.

actually KZ3 looks better than that shitty CG reel from 2006.

actually no it doesnt

The thing that's amazing about that CG is the character models, faces, animation, etc. Those still havent really been touched this gen, even if we got closer than I would have expected to other parts.

killzone-2.jpg

Norml

Not very close actually. The feel? Yes. The tech? Not at all.
They nailed the feeling and I think it was pretty close in looks.
GSbOL.jpg

ELZiu.jpg

The bigger Unreal shots look much better,but I'm not digging the art at all.

just 5x better than the above KZ screens would be incredible though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
actually no it doesnt

The thing that's amazing about that CG is the character models, faces, animation, etc. Those still havent really been touched this gen, even if we got closer than I would have expected to other parts.

killzone-2.jpg

I agree about polycount, but not about animations.

mangaroo

Banned
After their port of the unreal engine (MK) to vita I'm extremely skeptical about the capabilities/quality expectations of unreal. Let's see how this runs on the peoples' hardware.

I think Epic should "leak" the video before E3. These screenshots did not make people "ooh" and "aah" like they expected, so if UE4 is really that much better in motion they have to show it. After all, if core gamers like the ones here @ GAF can't really tell the difference between UE3 and UE4, how does Epic, Microsoft and Sony expect to sell new consoles to the mainstream?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think Epic should "leak" the video before E3. These screenshots did not make people "ooh" and "aah" like they expected, so if UE4 is really that much better in motion they have to show it. After all, if core gamers like the ones here @ GAF can't really tell the difference between UE3 and UE4, how does Epic, Microsoft and Sony expect to sell new consoles to the mainstream?

There not like the people on GAF though, the there's an extremely high proportion of PC gamers in Gaf in comparison to the normal mainstream audience. These shots compared to current high end demanding games, isn't that much of an improvement but in comparison to average console player a large proprtion of which is more than willing to play Cod, it's still a pretty large jump.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"It also helps him show that changes can be made to the game’s design and code, recompiled and executed nearly instantly—a technical feat that has been simply unheard-of in game development. And just like that, the silence in the room becomes reverent. The videogame industry has changed."

"That's huge."

Sounds pretty similar to what Unity's already doing, that said, It's one of the features I love most about it.

its neat, but I don't want all the power of next gen consoles and PC GPUs to be sucked up rendering stuff in realtime that was faked before, just to make dev cycles shorter. There also needs to be a significant bump in graphics (noticable to normal people, not just pixel peepers)

pottuvoi

Banned
its neat, but I don't want all the power of next gen consoles and PC GPUs to be sucked up rendering stuff in realtime that was faked before, just to make dev cycles shorter. There also needs to be a significant bump in graphics (noticable to normal people, not just pixel peepers)
Depending the quality of the realtime solution, it can have huge impact on graphics.

Just think of a case where you have tight beam of light in a room and character is standing just by it, then touches the beam with his hand and thus lighting his face with a indirect light.
The change from faking things to do it properly will allow much more freedom and ability to iterate art a lot faster.

Top Bottom