• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unused Metroid Prime Kraid model

Sander

Looks like they were originally planning to include that fat bastard, wonder why he didn't make the cut:

beta_kraid.jpg

From here: http://www.mythicahq.com/gallery/genes_other_goods

mattx5

What in the good name of fuck! Where'd this come from? You sure this shit was actually supposed to be in MP and that it's not just a fan creation??

PUT IN MP2 PLEASE!

explodet

Jumping off of Kraid's belly spikes would have been HARD to do in 3D, I think - and the face doesn't say "Kraid" to me... That does look awesome, though.

Well, this is gene kohler:

genekohler01.jpg

And yes, he does work Graphic Designer at Retro. Whether or not this is legit is still questionable I would say though.

Tenguman

mattx5 said:
What in the good name of fuck! Where'd this come from? You sure this shit was actually supposed to be in MP and that it's not just a fan creation??
Gene Kohler worked on Metroid Prime character models

Tritroid

Culex said:
How would Kraid of been in MP anyway? There's no Brinstar anymore.
Well Kraid was technically a part of the Space Pirate regime, so it's not like he's specifically restricted to one area on one planet. (Even though he always has been. :\)

They could have easily explained his difference in appearance through Phazon mutation.

Sander

JasoNsider said:
Well, this is gene kohler:

genekohler01.jpg

And yes, he does work Graphic Designer at Retro. Whether or not this is legit is still questionable I would say though.
He is now working on Mythica (his profile) which explains why it's hosted on that site.

Tritroid

Judging by the mushrooms, it looks like they were planning to put him in the Phazon Mines.

Jesus imagine running into this thing down there in the dark. @_@

Mashing

It looks like that may have originally been the boss for the Phazon Mines instead of the Omega Pirate... that is the only level I can think of (well, maybe Thardus' lair) that would be large enough to fight him in.

Kuramu

Looks great. I wonder why Kraid has been green or greenish in every rendition of him since the original, when in the original he was yellow/orange which i think looks more evil.

edit: ok, he did have green hair or whatever that is.... so where did his mane go

why do i get the feeling that to fight him, you'd have to roll around on his belly, wait for the spikes to go down and drop bombs down into those holes?

jarrod

Banned
arter_2 said:
Those other scenes look like raven blade models. Man i soooooooooooo wanted that game badly :(
Speaking of which, I wonder if any of Retro's sidelined projects will ever show up again? Thunder Rally could make a good launch title for Revolution...

huzkee said:
Looks nice but what the hell happened to his head?!

Probably blowed away in the first metroid games, so they thought, hummm maybe a metal head will solve the fact that kraid was always an easy boss.....kidding who knows but it sure looks badass....

jarrod said:
Speaking of which, I wonder if any of Retro's sidelined projects will ever show up again? Thunder Rally could make a good launch title for Revolution...

Well one of the guys who actually revelead the RE4 trailer, the portuguese one, was told by someone who worked on a portuguese affiliate of the war-zone website that Raven Blade was actually not dead......so take that as you will....but it wont take too much time to see if they're really working on any of those, Game informer apparentely has an exclusive regarding a Nintendo developer and it seems that the developer is really Retro, so maybe we will get any news on this.

Wow. I really hope that does make it into MP2.

Does anyone have a shot of what he looked like in Metroid NES? I can't quite remember.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Socreges said:
Why did they have to fuck with his head?

kraid2.gif
Because you shot missles into it before? just a guess.

Also maybe it isn't the old kraid, but of the same species. I think it would be dumb to make kraid a sentient recurring "character" but I don't mind it being a race that the pirates keep around as a big ass security dog.

Maybe it wore that fat cap to keep metroids off of his dome.

Who knows really.

EDIT: woooo hooo this post memberized me!! \m/

Socreges

Banned
That question was actually rhetorical. They in fact changed his head because they are retarded and thought it wouldn't be creative enough if they simply put him in 3D.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Socreges said:
That question was actually rhetorical. They in fact changed his head because they are retarded and thought it wouldn't be creative enough if they simply put him in 3D.
Thats fine ;) my answer was rhetorical as well.

I belive in actuality it was part your answer, part "lets make him edgy!"

Kuramu

Socreges said:

in that case, you could complain that they went too far in altering kraid for Super Metroid, adding a tail, losing the mane, and giving him a green lizard complexion. Actually, i will complain about that. I much prefer the original design, even if it was 8 bit

Socreges

Banned
You could, but that wouldn't be "in that case". What I'm saying isn't quite as simple as 'CHANGE ALONE IS BAD'.

In taking 8-bit Kraid from a mess of several sprites to something distinguishable, you have to expect progression and no obligation to retain the original design. But bringing a well-designed and revered Kraid into 3D, as a different developer no less, I find it stupid that they would retain so delicately everything about Kraid, save the head. And, in fact, try to add such a bogus element [the machine-state] in order to make the resurrection more special.

Kuramu

i don't personally think the SM Kraid's design was all that great to begin with. Specifically, i don't like how small and far back his head is, giving him that double chin. to each his own. I actually think the metal head is kinda cool, assuming it is explained by his head being blown off prior. Like Alien, monsters without eyes look scarier to me.

Top Bottom