• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unused Metroid Prime Kraid model

Odoul

I wa sactually hoping that Prime or Zero Mission remake would use 3d/updated versions of the original designs for Kraid and Ridley. Super Metroid made them both a lot more reptilian. Kraid looked like some sort of bizarre demon and Ridley looked like the xenomorphs from Alien. Although I did like the idea of them both being intelligen/ officers in the pirate army rather than just aggresive monsters/attack dogs.

akascream

Banned
I'm kinda glad Kraid wasn't in MP. They were trying real hard to be Super Metroid already (albeit in 3D), and it would have watered down the experience. Retro has some of the best bosses evar in MP, and ironically, Ridley isn't one of them.

That said, he looks great. :)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I don't care for the fact that the two side of the model and textures and blatantly mirrored, but other than that, looks like it could've been a cool boss. Also, if you notice the funky-looking mushrooms to the side of...it, it looks like they were planning on sticking Kraid in the Phazon Mines somewhere.

Trevelyon

Yes, as someone pointed out earlier. Plus it'd would've been a tad odd fighting a creature that you destroyed a few hours/days ago, as the Zero mission to Prime story goes.

ohamsie

Ridley, Kraid, and Crocomire always seemed like the generals of the space pirate army to me. I wouldn't mind if Ridley wasn't in Metroid Prime 2 if they had Kraid in it.

Sander said:
Looks like they were originally planning to include that fat bastard, wonder why he didn't make the cut:

beta_kraid.jpg

From here: http://www.mythicahq.com/gallery/genes_other_goods

"I had completely finished modeling and skinning Kraid. The level that he was to be included in was well underway to being designed. There just was not enough developement time remaining to fully implement all aspects of the scenario that were needed to pull off a highly polished\ fun gaming experience... animations\ effects\ programming\ etc. It was decided that Kraid was not imperative enough to the Metroid Prime project to run the risk of pushing up the release date in order to fit him in.

I'm sure the folks over at Retro are designing ways to fit Kraid in possible future Metroid titles." -Gene Kohler, May 11, 2004 (Mythicahq.com)

Hope Retro put it back in MP2.....

Gene- *knocks on Retro's door* C'mon guys, let me back in. C'mon. I got nudie books

Retro- First you gotta do the truffle shuffle.

ohamsie

This is a lot like how they found the unused Crocomire sprites in Metroid Zero Mission. So many possibilites wasted. :(

NR1

N-Sider has an article discussing the role of a number of employees, and they have a few tid-bits directly from Gene Kohler in relation to his Kraid model.

According to Mr. Kohler in an email to N-Sider, Kraid is said to have a metal plate covering his face due to it being a designed gameplay feature - an item that you had to overcome in your encounter against Kraid. Although, he said, if the model does appear in a future Metroid title, expect some modifications to be made as the older ideas become refined."

The article is located here, with the Kohler quotes on page three:

Team Metroid Prime

I'd love to see Kraidin Echoes somehow. It could provide an interesting segue into how he ended up in Super Metroid. I mean, it's not as if Samus has to actually kill Kraid in Echoes. He can get away just as Ridley escaped at the beginning of Prime. Plus it may be one of the few ways they can link the Space Pirates cohesively to echoes and have it smoothly transition into Super. All I know is I'm a Metroid fucking fanboy and I want my Kraid!

Top Bottom