• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Western RPGs

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ok first off I love all RPGs.. I just have a soft spot for western ones.. In this thread I want to talk about upcoming western RPG titles.. I do not want this to turn into an East vs West debate.. if you like Japanese RPGs more that cool, just keep it out of my thread or there be be bannings.

With that being said what do we have on deck for the RPGs..

Two Worlds:
jul28two1.jpg

two-worlds-20070102011742414.jpg

Skills don't appear stat based either, though the rep we spoke to couldn't confirm that. A first level horseback rider can use mounts, but can't get them to go into a full gallop. Gain a few more levels and you'll be able to fight from the back of whatever steed you've found, of which there will be five varieties including horses and giant lizards.

The final feature we looked at was the reputation screen. Here you can see your standing with various guilds and groups found throughout the game, which may be more important than you think. Obviously, having good standing with a group of people will give you access to more important and higher reward quests, but it doesn't stop there. If you don't have a good enough standing, you certainly won't get an audience with a king or leader. Waltzing into a castle to talk with one of them will get you attacked in short order. Some entire towns may end up becoming off access to you if your reputation precedes you and those manning the gates don't like the cut of your gib.

Keeping an eye on this one.. Getting compared a lot to the Edler Scroll series.. I am not expecting greatness from it to be honest, but a lot of the game play features that I have read about just seem awesome!

Mass Effect:

mass-effect-20070126102359570.jpg

mass-effect-interview-20070119010127888.jpg

We wanted players to be really empowered. We wanted them to feel like they're somebody special even from the beginning, which is a challenge in a role-playing game. We wanted people to feel like all throughout the game they're somebody really important and special and to have that kind of feeling that when you arrive on a scene, people take notice. And you always have that kind of exciting level of intensity that you can bring to situations and it causes us to write bigger and better storylines as a result. So that was kind of the beginning, and then to satisfy a lot of these goals, that kind of created the essence of a story structure that could be painted across the scale and scope that we were going for.

There are a lot of conventions that we're trying to avoid. Like, you're running through an open area but up ahead you can see a character that looks like their purpose in life is that they will stop you and talk to you when you get close. After you play a few games like that it starts to drive you nuts because you see that character and you think, oh I'm not ready to have a conversation with that character yet. Whereas in Mass Effect, you can run past that character and they may call out to you with something that entices you to go over and talk to them. But we avoid having that character pull you into a conversation without you being able to just run past it. We want to make everything a result of decisions that you've made. Even if you're talking to a character about something, we always give you an out so you can say, "Alright, that's enough. Talk to you later."

This is the reason I bought the xbox360.. I have such high hopes for this game; everything I read has makes me believe it will be just amazing.

Avalon

The western RPG I'm most interest in right now is The Witcher.
Homepage = http://www.thewitcher.com/witcher.asp

I'm usually really turned off my action RPGs, but It really looks like thats the future of things and I better get use to it. The concept sounds really good though and I really like the style.

04a.jpg
Vizim2.jpg

There is also Jagged Alliance 3D which is looking really good. Hopefully it will just be a 3D face lift because that is all the game truly needs.

jagged-alliance-3d-20060808055418345.jpg

GhaleonEB

Mass Effect should be incredible. And not a full new game, but the Shivering Isles Oblivion expansion has me really excited.

Blackace

GhaleonEB said:
Mass Effect should be incredible. And not a full new game, but the Shivering Isles Oblivion expansion has me really excited.

yeah pretty pumped for that as well.. going to need that HDD upgrade soon MS...

No.1

The Witcher sounds and looks amazing. Can. Not. Wait.

I was following the game extensively throughout E3 - looked into the books the game is based off/around - but the developers have kept a little tight about progress.

Woman

It's neat to see how so many Western RPGs are in the Lord of the Rings-esque, Medieval style, and so many Japanese RPGs are in...well you know what I'm talking about. There doesn't seem to be much cross-over between the two.

Blackace

What's up with the Witcher? Have not heard to much about it.. the screens look hawt... Any more news about Dragon Age as well?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's still a ways off, but I'm getting interested in Sacred 2. It certainly looks good as far as action RPGs go. Witcher and Mass Effect have peaked my interest too.

The RPG of the year for me at least will be "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords"

And no, it's not Japanese (despite the artwork), it's actually Australian. It's done by the same people who make the Warlords games for the PC.

http://www.infinite-interactive.com/puzzlequest/

Initially it's going to be just for the PSP and DS, but later on will probably be for the 360 (via XBLA) and PC

PQ_PSP_11.jpg

PQ_PSP_03.jpg

Yes, you might think it looks like a simple Puzzle-RPG, but apparently it's been at least 2-3 years in the making, and has a huge amount of depth.

Blackace

jaundicejuice said:
No love for Bioshock? It's like THE rpg I'm looking forward to, outside of Mass Effect.

the odd thing about Bioshock is it doesn't even seem like an RPG... I know System Shock was.. but I have not read anything that makes me see RPG in it..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In addition to the Witcher and Two Worlds...

Hellgate London
Dragon Age
Drakensang: the Dark Eye (Realms of Arkania returns!)
Battle Lord (from the Space Rangers 2 guys)
Mythos (Diabloalike from the guys who made Fate)
Divine Divinity 2
Afterfall (Indie Post Apocalyptic RPG)
Sacred 2
Dungeon Runners
Silverfall (Diabloalike, saw a recent demo)
Not the Time for Dragons (RPG based on popular russion fantasy series)
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

Some other smaller indie projects in the works too but may not see the light of day. Of course if you're into MMORPG's there are 7000 more I could list.

Oh and course... Fallout 3.

No.1

Blackace said:
the odd thing about Bioshock is it doesn't even seem like an RPG... I know System Shock was.. but I have not read anything that makes me see RPG in it..

There's a lot of customisation in your abilities and etc. It's a hybrid, but I think there's a lot more focus on the fps side of things.

And I can't believe I forgot Titan Quest. I adored the original - while many overlooked it and called it crap (don't really see why, it was like Diablo II set in the medieval world!).

SPEA

god Mass Effect looks so good.

By the way. New Screenshots Tomorrow!! I was browsing the Mass Effect forums and this is posted in a sticky by the moderator:

As I mentioned in the Updates thread, we will be giving a new update on Monday to the Galactic Codex. And I've hinted at a new race of aliens, some hints about the Geth and a half dozen or so new screenshots.

Barring some truely unforseen circumstances, it should be ready to go before noon BST (BioWare Standard Time) Monday Feb 5th.
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=546612&forum=104

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Blackace said:

Well, the only thing I saw was that customization thing. I don't remember what it was or did. I think I might have some affect on your abilities though. Other than that, nothing really.

Avalon

jaundicejuice said:
No love for Bioshock? It's like THE rpg I'm looking forward to, outside of Mass Effect.

System Shock = RPG/FPS Hybrid
Bioshock = FPS with a lot of customization.

I'm excepting a lot of homage, but it I don't think anyone should be expecting System Shock 3.

Blackace

Oldschoolgamer said:
Well, the only thing I saw was that customization thing. I don't remember what it was or did. I think I might have some affect on your abilities though. Other than that, nothing really.

yeah that's all I remember as well.. going to get no doubt.. but wasn't screaming RPG to me..

Avalon said:
There is also Jagged Alliance 3D which is looking really good. Hopefully it will just be a 3D face lift because that is all the game truly needs.

Jagged Alliance is a strategy game series, not an RPG. A very good strategy series, but most definitely not an RPG one.

Anyway, Western RPGs I'm looking forward to...

First, playing more Guild Wars.
Then, once I have a good PC, getting Neverwinter Nights II.

... as for upcoming stuff... there really aren't many worth mentioning.

PC
-Fallout 3 -- if it's like Fallout and not TES, that is... Fallout was awesome, but TES games get tedious quickly. (X360 too?)
-Dragon Age -- I'm hoping for very good things. Baldur's Gate II is one of the best RPGs ever made... I don't know if it'll live up to those hopes, given that KotOR and NWN were dissapointing compared to the BG games (yes, BG1 is better than KotOR, definitely), but still, I'm hoping... and even if it's not BG-quality and is just as good as KotOR, it'll still be a great RPG.
-Whatever Obsidian is doing now (probably also on consoles)
-any future Guild Wars chapters
-Diablo III, whenever Blizzard gets around to making it
-Is D.W. Bradley/Heuristic Park working on anything? (He did Wizardry 5-7, then Wizards & Warriors and Dungeon Lords... Wizards & Warriors was a great RPG, but Dungeon Lords... well, I actually did like it at least, even if it wasn't very popular at all... but I haven't heard anything from the studio in some time now... his last couple of games took a long time each though, so maybe we will eventually.)

And that's about it... Silverfall, Dungeon Runners, Divine Divinity 2, etc could be somewhat entertaining, but I wouldn't exactly hope for great things from them to say the least... Hellgate London could be good, but it looks like more of an FPS than an RPG, so like Deus Ex or System Shock I wouldn't really count it in this genre. Same goes for Bioshock -- definitely not an RPG.

Console
-Bioware DS RPG
-whatever the Mazes of Fate team makes next (Argentina is definitely Western)
-Fable 2 (also PC)

PC RPG makers have never focused much on consoles (and I do not consider that a bad thing). This has changed some recently, but they are still clearly better and more numerous on PC.

Avalon

A Black Falcon said:
Jagged Alliance is a strategy game series, not an RPG. A very good strategy series, but most definitely not an RPG one.

I know the game is often looked at as a strategy game, but in all honestly I can't think of a better example of what a role-playing game should be. The game has a lot of deep role-playing elements, lots of customization, great cast of characters and a huge world to explore... If that isn't an RPG, what is? :p

Avalon said:
I know the game is often looked at as a strategy game, but in all honestly I can't think of a better example of what a role-playing game should be. The game has a lot of deep role-playing elements, lots of customization, great cast of characters and a huge world to explore... If that isn't an RPG, what is? :p

The core genre is strategy, however. Baldur's Gate has very deep strategic elements, almost RTS-ish at times, but that does not make it a strategy game... this is the same, just the other way.

Of course they have significant themes from that other genre present, which can be mentioned, but still, Jagged Alliance (or X-Com) are not RPGs.

Blackace

A Black Falcon said:
The core genre is strategy, however. Baldur's Gate has very deep strategic elements, almost RTS-ish at times, but that does not make it a strategy game... this is the same, just the other way.

Of course they have significant themes from that other genre present, which can be mentioned, but still, Jagged Alliance (or X-Com) are not RPGs.

Diablo?

And KoTOR is awesome btw

Avalon

A Black Falcon said:

I disagree, especially to the X-Com comparison. It's those specific role-playing elements that really set it apart from other strategy games like X-Com. I'm not going to say core genre is RPG, but calling it a strategy game would be like calling Metroid Prime a FPS.

Jagged Alliance is basically a tactical RPG with some strategy elements. The strategy bits are much shallower than X-com (no base building or research or managing UFO attacks) and the characters are more RPG like, with levels and names and personalities (as opposed to the ones in X-com which are basically just stats).

trancejeremy said:
Jagged Alliance is basically a tactical RPG with some strategy elements. The strategy bits are much shallower than X-com (no base building or research or managing UFO attacks) and the characters are more RPG like, with levels and names and personalities (as opposed to the ones in X-com which are basically just stats).

"Tactical RPGs" are all strategy games; the genre doesn't actually exist. ("tactical strategy" would be a better term, probably)

Of course it is a bit iffy because the first RPGs were spinoffs of wargames, (just using only a few units that gained in strength), while strategy games were wargames taken in another direction, but I do think that the distinction is more than large enough to easily be able to tell which genre a game is in, even if that really doesn't matter as far as fun is concerned...

Action-RPG... I can see how it'd be in an area of contention, for there are action games with some RPG elements like levelling (Gauntlet: Legends/Dark Legacy, for instance), but I think Diablo falls on the RPG side of things thanks to its deep skill system... though it's definitely an action-RPG and not a pure RPG, that's for sure.

And KoTOR is awesome btw

It's good, but nowhere near Baldur's Gate I or II good, mostly thanks to its console-inspired simplifications (combat system, inventory, etc).

Blackace

A Black Falcon said:
It's good, but nowhere near Baldur's Gate I or II good, mostly thanks to its console-inspired simplifications (combat system, inventory, etc).

I myself think KoTOR is their best work... but that is just my opinion

butsomuch

http://www.obsidianent.com/info.html

What game projects are you working on?
Obsidian is currently developing a game based on the Aliens film franchise for next-generation systems and the PC, as well as an unannounced RPG; both with SEGA®. Obsidian Entertainment has shipped Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® 2: The Sith Lords™ and Neverwinter Nights™ 2.

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on 2 RPG projects with Sega.
- Project Georgia (Obsidian's original IP)
- Project Connecticut (Aliens RPG)

Pray with me, Blackace...

Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.

Blackace

MightyHedgehog said:
Pray with me, Blackace...

Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.Wasteland remake from InXile.

oh hells yeah

I would love to see a true follow to it as well..

MegaTen

Banned
Two Worlds looks pretty interesting. I'm glad there will be a console port because I doubt my PC would've been able to handle it.

MegaTen said:
Two Worlds looks pretty interesting. I'm glad there will be a console port because I doubt my PC would've been able to handle it.

Though It was stated that it's most likely a MMO now....ugh.

Jade Empire is coming out the PC this month...never played the original for the xbox....but I heard they made tons of changes to accommodate the PC gaming style.

CorwinB

bigmit3737 said:
Jade Empire is coming out the PC this month...

Jade Empire is 9.9 awesome. :)
Seriously, though, I liked the cliched story of the first one a lot, as well as the whole design (graphics, music...).

Tokubetsu

Word's cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to Mass Effect, Dragon-Age and The Witcher. Especially the witcher, can't wait to get my hands on it. That said, I really wish more pc companies would make DnD games like the days of old (Im currently replaying Icewind Dale II and oh how i wish i could play something like this with core DnD mechanics but current gen graphics).

I am a really big huge WRPG fans and looking forward to lot of upcoming games

Castaway's first game
another RPG from ex-Blizzard guys
castaway.jpg

Aion
MMORPG developed in newly formed NCSoft Seul Studios
aion.jpg

Not the Time for Dragons
A classic party-centered RPG based on steam-punk fantasy series of novels by he game's based on a novel by popular Russian fantasy writers Nick Perumov and Sergei Lukyanenko.
nvdd.jpg

Hard to be God
Isometric RPG set in world created by Strugacki's brothers. Co-developed by Akella
hard.jpg

Sacred 2
Sequel hack and slash RPG that was propably the best DIablo2-like game(aside from Diablo itself ) ever released. This time Ascaron is making the game in in full 3D
sacred2.jpg

Divine Divinity2
Sequel to one of best action-rpgs ever
t_3.jpg

Dropship
A turn-based SF wargame with RPG elements developed by ex-Troika guys using the Source engine
dropship.jpg

Witcher
Amazing graphics, ambitious gameplay, incredible book license and Bioware's backing
38.jpg

Dragon Age
Bioware next epic
920668_20040518_screen003.jpg

Hellgate: London
A new game from makers of Diablo2
hellgate-london-20050610052948100.jpg

Bioshock
Spiritual successor of the masterpiece that System Shock 2 was.
bioshock.jpg

Overlord
An innovative RPG that turns the fantasy cliche by 180 degrees. In Overlord YOU are the big bad guy, who's goal is to dominate the peaceful land, destroy all that is good and to become " the nastiest bastard around". The game is developed by Triumph Studios(creators of Age of Wonders series,
overlord.jpg

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Action RPG set in KUF universe
kuf.jpg

Elveon
Unreal Engine 3.0 based RPG from 10Tacle
elv.jpg

Mass Effect
mass-effect-interview-20070119010127888.jpg

Fable 2
1160233706.jpg

firex

yeah, I'm looking forward to the TQ expansion, especially if they can add a better multiplayer mode, and a lot of the other games mentioned here. Mostly Mass Effect, Dragon Age, anything Obsidian works on, Bioshock, and the Witcher.

Top Bottom