• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: ’90s Arcade Racer and Wii U

Pikma

Banned
Everytime Nicalis is involved expect delays and delays and more unexplainable delays, and when the game comes out expect bugs and lots of unexplainable bugs... Yeah that doesn't make sense at all but it really is like that, always

I went to the Nicalis panel at Anime Expo in July and someone asked about the game they said it was in development still and they didn't have a release date yet. I can't remember what exactly they said (sorry, I have a dog shit memory) but it sounded like it wouldn't be until end of the year/early next.
Ok. Better than no news.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's Nicalis. Expect a bug-riddled release in 2017.

Sadly, you're not the one who has said this about Nicalis. A few people on another forum has also mentioned that these guys have won tournaments in delaying games.

Arkam

Cannot wait to get a hands on test with this game. So many good memories of Daytona in the arcade. I hope this delivers!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I kind of regret backing this up. It's now almost 1 year delayed and it will be even further probably. The worst decision ever was to take Nicalis as producer. It's like the seal of unreliability.

Colombo

Nicalis are trying thir hardest to make people forget about this, but thankfully they are failing. I hope we get a new update before the end of year despite the game being 'expected' to come out in 2014.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's Nicalis. Expect a bug-riddled release in 2017.

In the US.
EU will be in 2020 with a game-breaking bug which will make your car only drive in reverse

-_- sigh

As much as it pains me to say I felt cheated when Nicalis was brought in after the fact: I would have not backed the Kickstarter had I only known

AmyS

Finally an update (2 days ago):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/992614

We've received a few complaints from backers so for this update I would like to let people know exactly at what stage the game is right now.

The game's art, design and audio is pretty much complete and only in need of some polish which means we are behind when it comes to code, we had some trouble mainly with the AI and we had to scrap a lot of code and start fresh. Unfortunately for a small team like us that means a few months of work and a delayed release date.

Because of the advanced stage of the game's art and design during the summer I took on some contract work which ended last week, this is part of the reason why it's been so long since my last update and i apologise for that.

So braking things down here is where the projects stands now:

-The art and design is complete, all the tracks, frontend menus and items are in game.

-The audio is about 80% done, everything is in game and working but in need of some polish.

-The AI as mentioned above has given us a lot of problems, we decided to scrap the work done so far and start from scratch with a new programmer.

-Physics and car handling has been the most challenging part and we will continue to tweak and refine it until the game's release.

Considering how things have turned out for us it would be unwise to give another release date, but we will as soon as we are confident.

Doesn't sound too promising :/

Dicer

Banned
The game's art, design and audio is pretty much complete and only in need of some polish which means we are behind when it comes to code, we had some trouble mainly with the AI and we had to scrap a lot of code and start fresh. Unfortunately for a small team like us that means a few months of work and a delayed release date.

Never coming out...

Wow, so this is one of those games where they seem to know how to excite people with a bunch of cool art but don't know how to actually make a game. Yikes....

JDSN

Banned
Why would people back a KS that already scored a publisher? Specially one as ineffective as Nicalis?

Waiting for that moment where they release the game without the director's approval.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Go back and look at the KS pitch--they claimed they could make this game for only 10k GPB, which should have set off alarm bells from day one. There's no way in hell they'd ever finish this game without outside investment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They weren't involved at the beginning. :/

Yes, but they were before the kickstarter closing, so I would have had still time to back out, but I said "no, what can go wrong? This guy (Pelikan) seems passionat about it and there is quite a lot going already. It won't be 2013, but it will be 2014 for sure and Nicalis can't fuck this up so bad". And I was so damn wrong.

low-G

I really hope they actually had an actual game engine and not just mockups or something... They showed off really impressive assets from day one, but usually it doesn't work that way unless the art was just a mock-up. That level of polish is for a game nearing completion, not just starting.

I've been afraid for this game from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if there was smoke and mirrors all along...

sörine

Banned
Wasn't Nicalis specifically brought in to help with programming? No surprise that's what is holding things back then.

Don't be surprised if this game doesn't show up until 2016 with PS4, Vita and Xbox One versions all magically launching day one too.

Moofers

But these games had no colors

Uh huh. Ok.

split-second-velocity-pc-127_zps76308802.jpg

splitsecond1610_zpsd66ebea4.jpg

split-secondgameplay_zps98fd034b.jpg

motorstorm-pacific-rift-20080715042545698_640w_zpsc8f6adc5.jpg

msprscreenshot120310081024_zpscd78057e.jpg

255185-4_zps26a1e4df.jpg

mspr_beach_27_zps412d9418.jpg

rjc571

Banned
You're right. I've thrown my copies in the garbage and lit them on fire just to be safe.

Good, but there still may be traces of the 30 fps virus infecting your system. I recommend inoculating yourself with a heavy dosage of Outrun 2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, pretty scummy that he didn't aknowledge the situation with the code and him not mentioning putting the game on hiatus and taking contract work till now that he's done with that.

Not cool brah
That rubs me the wrong way, probably gonna ask for a refund. I was so excited for this game... :(

liquidtmd

Banned
God damnit. I called this would happen. February 3rd on Page 1, post 12 of this thread. Makes me sad however.

I think if this never appears, Im just bailing out if anything thread that says Kickstarter unless the project is done and out there. Its just an unamusing joke at this stage.

Because of the advanced stage of the game's art and design during the summer I took on some contract work which ended last week, this is part of the reason why it's been so long since my last update and i apologise for that.

'Because the game was almost done but not done I thought fuck it ill do something else that pays because Kickstarter money is lol and get back to it when I can be arsed'?

69wpm

God damnit. I called this would happen. February 3rd on Page 1, post 12 of this thread. Makes me sad however.

I think if this never appears, Im just bailing out if anything thread that says Kickstarter unless the project is done and out there. Its just an unamusing joke at this stage.

'Because the game was almost done but not done I thought fuck it ill do something else that pays because Kickstarter money is lol and get back to it when I can be arsed'?
I have to say I already stopped backing kickstarter projects. Most of them are completely unorganized. They have no schedule, no plan, nothing. I hope people like Adelman will make a difference.

ArjanN

I have to say I already stopped backing kickstarter projects. Most of them are completely unorganized. They have no schedule, no plan, nothing. I hope people like Adelman will make a difference.

IMO I think it's more a case of people don't like to see how the sausage is made...

Like 90% of AAA games get delayed as well, you just never hear the reason.

goomba

Banned
Why' not Just go with rubberband AI if that means the game actually comes out. 90s racers werent exactly famous for their AI anyway.

Dachande

I dunno, if the art and design (as in track and vehicle handling) parts are pretty much/mostly done and it's just the AI component that's holding them back, well... it's still going to come out, but probably not this year.

Steam release is still happening, yes? Early access beta with a time trial/ghost mode? If it's been delayed that much and backers are getting pissed, might be an idea...

Pikma

Banned
Nicalis = NOPE

No, seriously, I thought this particular project was going to be different, but nah, how naive of me, it's the typical Nicalis shit, it'll take another year to come out and when it does it'll be broken and, maybe, they'll fix it down the road.

Coreda

One thing I've noticed is if a Kickstarter project has a low goal that's somehow meant to fund an entire game to completion be a bit cautious. I've backed an arcade racer called Distance that already is on Early Access and is shaping up well. It had a more reasonable goal and was coming from a well-received previous game. Shovel Knight, Wasteland 2, Divinity: OS, and others have come out from KS so it's hardly a joke. I agree though that it can often seems the case projects promise more than they can deliver.

69wpm

IMO I think it's more a case of people don't like to see how the sausage is made...

Like 90% of AAA games get delayed as well, you just never hear the reason.

What I meant with the delay is localization, Shovel Knight is a good example. Everyone expected a world wide release, which didn't happen. Indies need to tell their backers stuff like this. Heck, indies need to think about this before launching a kickstarter.

Top Bottom