• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: ’90s Arcade Racer and Wii U

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing I've noticed is if a Kickstarter project has a low goal that's somehow meant to fund an entire game to completion be a bit cautious. I've backed an arcade racer called Distance that already is on Early Access and is shaping up well. It had a more reasonable goal and was coming from a well-received previous game. Shovel Knight, Wasteland 2, Divinity: OS, and others have come out from KS so it's hardly a joke. I agree though that it can often seems the case projects promise more than they can deliver.

This had a reduced scope, like several tracks and several cars. It wasn't supposed to be some big game. A one man project.

liquidtmd

Banned
This had a reduced scope, like several tracks and several cars. It wasn't supposed to be some big game. A one man project.

Exactly. For those saying 'well big devs delay games', its not the same at all. A) Money hasnt already been laid down and B) big publishers have accountability. Its been 18 months since announcement, if not earlier.

These kickstarters just shrugging and saying 'meh we ran into difficulty' and then not updating their page for another six months is bloody stupid when backers put money down in good faith. A bunch of children playing business.

Coreda

Sure, it was more in response to those wondering why things may get delayed or not completed, as it's a much smaller budget, which doesn't help when the last update on the AI was to 'scrap the work done so far and start from scratch with a new programmer'. It's apparently more than the one person on the team. The Distance team has three and was likewise a labor of love, so not too dissimilar to compare with.

I wish them the best of luck though, a nostalgia-inducing Sega-like racer would be super fun.

EBreda

I'm still hyped for this game, only because the genre is simply forgotten by other devs. If anyone else had come up with something similar I would have probably forgotten this in a second.

How long this have been, at least 3 years? Some people will say it's Nicalis fault, but I actually wonder where this project would be without a publisher to lend a hand...

I'm still waiting for it, hopefully we can get it this year. All the best to the devs, concept is still awesome.

Edit: actually KS went up on January 18th, 2013.

Update on KS: (backers only)
May 13

Mega Update #10, 60fps Wii U gameplay video and more details

GWX

Game looks great! Count me in for the Wii U version =)

edit: shouldn't we have a new thread for the gameplay footage?

Yeah I think I'll be buying this.
I like what I am seeing, not quite sure about the micro machines type course though. Also I thought I noticed some hitches in frame rate here or there and not sure if it was truly 60 fps, but it didn't seem like it. I will get this game when it hits Steam though. More types of these racers need to come out as I am just not into realism/ race sims.

Top Bottom