• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Kingdom Hearts 2, FF: Crisis Core (PSP), Advent Children

http://psp.ign.com/articles/610/610043p1.html

May 4, 2005 - Producer Tetsuya Nomura is one of Square Enix's most respected producers, having great influence over many of the company's most highly anticipated titles. The latest issue of Japanese publication Dori Maga features a short interview with Nomura, touching upon Kingdom Hearts II and the Final Fantasy VII series.

The main focus of the interview is Kingdom Hearts II. Recently, Square Enix opened up an official Japanese website for the game following months of silence. This was followed by feature articles posted in Japan's largest game publications. Could a release date at last be nearing for the sequel?

Nomura reveals that yes, a release is indeed approaching. "The announcement of Kingdom Hearts II was actually too early," Nomura states in response to a question about the lack of information on the game. "It's not that delayed development has caused a delay in the release of the game. Recently, a release period has come into sight, and so we've started to release information."

Commenting on the current state of the game, Nomura reveals that the scenario is now complete. Voice recording has also finished, save for some fine tuning. The title isn't 100% complete, though, with Nomura revealing, "We're currently finishing up the main story -- the scenario featuring Sora and the black coated characters."

You may be bummed about the wait for Kingdom Hearts II, but based on Nomura's comments, there's a lot to look forward to. Asked about how much volume we can expect from the sequel, he responds, "Quite a bit. The volume of the story alone is about 2.5 times that of the original."

There's also quite a bit going into the animation data for the game. "For instance," explains Nomura, "when in Brave Form with red clothing and when in standard form with black clothing, the motion is completely different. This is, of course, true when fighting, but also when running. The motion for walking is about all that's shared. Of course, there are other forms besides black and red."

Nomura suggests, perhaps jokingly, that the game may actually take up more than one DVD.

Outside of these Kingdom Hearts II comments, Nomura offers an update on his other projects. First, regarding the mobile title Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII, he says, "We plan to increase the player characters by two. The story is heating up as the climax approaches, so please stick with us for a bit more."

Silencing recent worries about the state of the PSP's Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, he manages a few comments on the game. "I've drawn the art," he says with a laugh. "We're planning an interesting, previously unseen gameplay system. We announced [Crisis Core] as an action RPG, but I think it will end up as something that exceeds everyone's expectations. I personally want to get my hands on it quickly."

All has gone quiet on Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII since its unveiling for the PS2 at last year's Tokyo Game Show. "We should be able to release it earlier than most expect," assures Nomura. "It's a title that's been surrounded by a number of secrets until now, but at E3 you'll be able to get a taste of it and I think you'll be even more excited. For this game, I'm mainly doing character designs. The game is strongly influenced by Yoshinori Kitase (its producer).

Finally, Nomura offers a bit on the perpetually delayed DVD/UMD movie release, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: "We've kept you waiting, but we should be able to announce a number of things soon. Please look forward to it."

All the games (and media products) mentioned by Nomura should make a showing in some form at E3. We'll fill you in on what we learn next week or the week after.

Producer Tetsuya Nomura is one of Square Enix's most respected producers

Unless something's changed Nomura doesn't have the title of producer, although he is directing KH2 and co-directing Advent Children. The producers are Yoshinori Kitase and Shinji Hashimoto.

edit: and I realize how pointless it is to bother criticizing IGN writing, but

Silencing recent worries about the state of the PSP's Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Recent worries? The game was always planned for a 2006 release... where's the grounds for worry?

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Unless something's changed Nomura doesn't have the title of producer, although he is directing KH2 and co-directing Advent Children. The producers are Yoshinori Kitase and Shinji Hashimoto.

edit: and I realize how pointless it is to bother criticizing IGN writing, but

Recent worries? The game was always planned for a 2006 release... where's the grounds for worry?

we haven't heard jack shit about it, outside of a title, so there is SOME worry.

Top Bottom