• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

I got a little CRT! My Super Famicom looks great even in composite! But I can't get an image to stay still using RGB SCART. It's all wiggly wavey like... I'll see if I can get a video up, but I really need to fix this :/

Edit: Do only special CRTs take 240p? Could that be my problem?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Quick question about the framemeister: when you start up a system like the snes, does it display instantly upon starting it, or is there a delay before it shows anything?

brainpann

Thinking of getting this for my GC/PS2/Wii collection. Has anyone else used XRGB for those any of those three systems through component to an LED? I'm trying to get an idea if this is worth the $400 so that I can play these games on my HDTV without wretching. Poor Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, so many artifacts and washed out colors, someone help!!

I use mine periodically for my GC/PS2/Wii. It wouldnt be worth it to me, just to use those three system on it but I was never that bothered by using the component on the TV for them either. If it bothers you a lot, then Id suggest looking around the webs for others experiences. With that said, I LOVE my XRGB mini.

Quick question about the framemeister: when you start up a system like the snes, does it display instantly upon starting it, or is there a delay before it shows anything?

There is something like a one or two second delay. Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Is that a deal breaker?

A similar cable, but wired for SCART instead of JP21. They're the same shape, but the pins are very different.

The cable I got on eBay was labeled SCART JP21. *Sigh* I'm at a loss at this point. I'm not sure if my problem is the RGB modded SNES or the cable. :/

...but SCART and JP21 aren't the same thing. Who'd label it for both?

Well, if they labelled it as "JP21", it's probably that? I dunno.

Reclaimer

Time to get my Dreamcast hooked up to the Framemeister...

Can someone help me find the best way to get the DC's VGA output into this thing? It seems like it should be simple, but I'm not finding an great plug-n-play solutions out there.

I use mine periodically for my GC/PS2/Wii. It wouldnt be worth it to me, just to use those three system on it but I was never that bothered by using the component on the TV for them either. If it bothers you a lot, then Id suggest looking around the webs for others experiences. With that said, I LOVE my XRGB mini.

There is something like a one or two second delay. Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Is that a deal breaker?

Wait, is it not worth it because you don't like the 3 systems in general or because the XRGB doesn't help the picture quality very much for those 3 systems? My main interest in the XRGB for GC/PS2/Wii is removing artifacts and preventing chromashift as much as possible. So does the XRGB mini not to a good job of that for GC/PS2/Wii? Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your help.

Beckx

Time to get my Dreamcast hooked up to the Framemeister...

Can someone help me find the best way to get the DC's VGA output into this thing? It seems like it should be simple, but I'm not finding an great plug-n-play solutions out there.

You're going to have to get a VGA to component converter and then use the component to D-terminal adapter.

Reclaimer

Peagles

I got a little CRT! My Super Famicom looks great even in composite! But I can't get an image to stay still using RGB SCART. It's all wiggly wavey like... I'll see if I can get a video up, but I really need to fix this :/

Edit: Do only special CRTs take 240p? Could that be my problem?

Here's what I'm getting, any ideas from the experts here?

Hope this works:
rgbwavy.gif

I got an early release copy of Mother 22!

IrishNinja

goddamn, that's spazzing out almost like my PS2 over XRGB...really hoping it's the cable. shit is 3rd party & looks okay just plugged into the set, gonna pick up another official one and hope it resolves itself (literally nothing else pluggined into the upscaler dances like that either)

brainpann

Wait, is it not worth it because you don't like the 3 systems in general or because the XRGB doesn't help the picture quality very much for those 3 systems? My main interest in the XRGB for GC/PS2/Wii is removing artifacts and preventing chromashift as much as possible. So does the XRGB mini not to a good job of that for GC/PS2/Wii? Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your help.

I can't really comment on artifacts or chromashift. Check out Retrogaming Hazard. The link is in the OP.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FWIW, I actually have encountered old cheap CRTs that don't handle "240p" signals well. One in particular constantly flickered on and off when playing retro consoles or Wii Virtual Console games in 240p. That button code to switch between 240p and 480i on VC games actually remedied the issue for me.

No idea what's going on in that GIF though.

STG!

Here's what I'm getting, any ideas from the experts here?

Hope this works:

I got an early release copy of Mother 22!

Are you sending the RGB signal into component?

And yes, if you live here in the US, only higher end broadcast or professional monitors (not commercial sets) will have RGB inputs.

Beckx

Are you talking a simple cable adapter or a full circuit-in-a-box converter? If that's the case, it might be easier to just go straight VGA to HDMI (into the framemeister)

Something like this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Hammerhead-HDMI-Converter-1080p/dp/B006LP0FXA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379808050&sr=1-6&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter

Same principle, yep. Might check monoprice to see if they have a better price. I got my VGA to component there for $40 (of course, the component to d-terminal adapter adds enough cost for it to be a wash unless you need that for other inputs (wii, gamecube, etc.)).

Peagles

Are you sending the RGB signal into component?

And yes, if you live here in the US, only higher end broadcast or professional monitors (not commercial sets) will have RGB inputs.

Yes it's going through an RGB cable to a CSY-2100 transcoder then to component on the TV. I live in New Zealand though. Some TVs here have RGB SCART but they're hard to find in CRT form these days. That's why I bought a transcoder so I thought I could just use component, but I guess I'm missing something?

Any ideas on a remedy?

STG!

I'm not too familiar with how that particular transcoder works, so maybe another member who has used it would be able to help better. I'm guessing that's probably causing your issue here. Do other consoles that you have work with it?

I'd still look for a proper RGB SCART monitor though if you're going with a CRT, especially considering your location. :)

Peagles

I'm not too familiar with how that particular transcoder works, so maybe another member who has used it would be able to help better. I'm guessing that's probably causing your issue here. Do other consoles that you have work with it?

I'd still look for a proper RGB SCART monitor though if you're going with a CRT, especially considering your location. :)

I'm going to try my Mega Drive on it tonight, but I bought it off someone who used it for a Sky box (which turns RGB SCART to component) with no trouble so I'm guessing the transcoder works fine. It also seems to be the one recommended by all the RGB gaming forums elsewhere so I hope it isn't the transcoder that's the problem.

Been looking for one of those for a long time, no dice. Gave up :(
I've only got room for 14" too, dang apartment. Took me this long to find a 14" with component and s-video inputs! I bid on a 14" PVM once but they sell for so much cash it's crazy, retro gamers here must have already caught on to them.

Sync is going crazy on there.

So it's a sync problem? Any idea what causes that and how to fix it?

STG!

Sounds like a good idea trying the MD!

You might want to find some local businesses that deal with broadcast equipment sales. Might take some hunting around but I'm sure you'll find a PVM or BVM in that size.

Peagles

Sounds like a good idea trying the MD!

You might want to find some local businesses that deal with broadcast equipment sales. Might take some hunting around but I'm sure you'll find a PVM or BVM in that size.

Okay the Mega Drive works and looks great! Slightly off sync at the top at times but I can live with it.

So that means it's not the TV, or the SCART to component transcoder, so it must be the SFC itself or the cable I bought. I'm gonna test my PAL SNES to see if it does the same thing. I know it should theoretically need a slightly different cable but I'll see how it goes.

Edit: PAL SNES gets the same result and then goes black. I guess that still means it's the cable or both the SNES and SFC have broken RGB output (which I doubt). It's a shame cos I got both the MD and SNES cable from that same eBay lady everyone recommended. I'm still awaiting her reply after I asked for help. I guess now I can tell her that the MD cable works and the SNES one doesn't...

Edit 2: Now just trying out the SFC via s-video for fun, it looks damn good so I'm not too annoyed about the RGB for now.

My SNES is also relegated to S-Video since I don't have an RGB switch and it's hella inconvenient to disconnect my Saturn. Looks good enough, but I really need that switch.

Beckx

Oh man. That's a lot of "didn't receive item" feedback (though balanced by many positives - looks like maybe they sometimes sell items w/o having them in stock?). Well, time to hope for the best. :/

baphomet

again though, don't cheaper switches cause a drop in quality? that's what's kept me from buying one so far.

the really cheap ones are pure shit. i'm using mine to hold the scart cables not plugged into my hama switch. i paid about $25 for the hama one and it works great. i think where the difference comes from is the fact that they have physical switches so it's only 1 input at a time. i can't tell any difference in quality running through the hama or being plugged directly into the monitor.

I'd need a switch with a damn lot of inputs, though. I haven't bought an RGB cable yet, but it'd have to accomodate:

• A Genesis
  • A Saturn
  • Maybe a Dreamcast (not sure whether I'd just use the S-Video part of a VGA box or not for things that don't support VGA - not sure if I'm even gonna use VGA at all, really, depending on how easy it is to get it into a form the XRGB-mini can use)
  • Maybe an NES, depending on how this project fares
  • A SNES
  • An RGB-modded N64
Everything else can go component or HDMI, so I'm not fussed about those.

Beckx

The Hama comes highly rated both at RetroRGB and one of the detail sites linked to from there. I just hope I get mine. :D

However, tonight just threw a wrinkle into everything.

I got a Genesis 2 RGB cable from retro_console_accessories on eBay, and that came in about two weeks ago. I didn't even bother trying it with the RGB to mini-din adapter that came with the Framemeister, because the listing says all cables are Euro/SCART by default unless you request JP 21 wiring. Now, here's the thing: when I ordered off eBay, I had not noticed that language in the listing and included a note to the seller asking if the cable was JP21 or SCART (and mentioning in passing that if it was the latter, I'd be looking for an adapter cable).

Meanwhile, as posted above, I had ordered a SCART to mini-din cable from retrogamingcables.com. That arrived today, so I took it down to finally see how my Genesis looked on the Framemeister via RGB. I've been dying for this because the blurriness of composite really bummed me out, plus I get bad moire effects on some games even though I have a 3/4 motherboard Genesis 2, which is the one version that supposedly does not suffer the moire problem. (So, either there are variations on the composite quality of 3/4 MB Genesis 2s, *or* I'm seeing it because I have it blown up on a 120" projection screen.)

Plug in both cables, start up, and....nothing. The screen flashes black and then goes back to a blue screen with "no input" displaying. After unplugging and reconnecting everything a couple of times - to no avail - I start to wonder if it's compatibility. Swap out the SCART to Mini-din adapter for the original JP21 adapter that came with the Framemeister and voila! Everything works. So I got a JP21 cable from eBay - I guess my message was interpreted as a request for that type of cable instead.

Here's where the headache comes in. I have a SNES cable on order from retro_console_accessories too, and was planning on having everything go through the Hama. But with a JP21 Genesis cable and a SCART SNES cable that will get a bit more complicated. Hopefully there's enough time to contact the seller and get it wired for JP21.

EDIT: retro_console_accessories wrote back that they'll wire the SNES cable for JP21, so I'm good there.

tl;dr - RGB is hard. :)

ANYWAY, some pictures. I LOVE THIS. So happy right now with the results. Here's a couple of crappy phone pictures showing the difference in Target Earth via composite and then via RGB. You can see the moire effect and the blurry image quality of composite pretty easy. I knew it was going to be better but didn't expect it to be so striking.

Composite first/on the left, RGB second/on the right.

IrishNinja

I'd need a switch with a damn lot of inputs, though. I haven't bought an RGB cable yet, but it'd have to accomodate:

• A Genesis
  • A Saturn
  • Maybe a Dreamcast (not sure whether I'd just use the S-Video part of a VGA box or not for things that don't support VGA - not sure if I'm even gonna use VGA at all, really, depending on how easy it is to get it into a form the XRGB-mini can use)
  • Maybe an NES, depending on how this project fares
  • A SNES
  • An RGB-modded N64
Everything else can go component or HDMI, so I'm not fussed about those.

yeah, bout the same! i have DC over VGA to HDMI but still need another RGB slot for Turbo, otherwise same list. also that universal PPU project blog has been seeing some interesting updates recently, looking more & more promising at the moment!

so worth it though!
and yeah, good luck getting it switched out, retro takes a while to get back to you in time (my big order from her with the initial 4 cables i was waiting on a shipping quote, just said fuck it and overpaid like a week later). top-tier work but her comments on being flooded with mail must be true cause service is way behind...speaking of, i gotta go hit her up again cause i never got my replacement AES RGB cable

*edit does anyone remember me saying a couple months back i was bummed cause my XRGB remote stopped working? i just heard that my package came in while i was at work today, Solaris replacement finally came through! took a while (they were waiting on Micomsoft, also lemme not front - japanese postage is expensive and i paid for the slow option...) but im so happy its back! ive had the overlay waiting forever now, was so tired of drunkenly hitting the buttons all manual like to get scanlines or change the picture overlay.

Peagles

Amen to that!

I'm stoked with my Mega Drive but still stumped on the SNES stuff. All my experimenting points to the cable being the problem, but the Mega Drive one I also got from retro_console_accessories works great! Is it possible she overlooked the SNES one and wired something weird?

My next problem... I have to go to the resolution centre in 4 days if I have a problem. I don't want to be a meanie and open a claim but if they don't get back to me I might have to just to protect myself.

Still searching for an SNES RGB with RCA audio. Retro gaming cables said they would have some in November...but the wait x_x

I just got a SCART breakout adapter for my audio in the meantime, it works great and also extracts composite and s-video.

Teknoman

Still searching for an SNES RGB with RCA audio. Retro gaming cables said they would have some in November...but the wait x_x

baphomet

If youre just looking for Saturn cables with no rca audio out rob at console goods has them in stock. www.consolegoods.co.uk oddly enough when I looked to see if he had stock he has a customer comment from me on the cable. Ive had 0 problems with it and it looks great.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XThqpOZcsx8

I used a Genesis w/ RGB cable for the first test run of my new capture card. Other than Youtube butchering the frame rate (maybe I should just interpolate everything to 30fps beforehand?), it looks pretty nice.

I think I'll try streaming with it on Sunday if I have time. The latency on this thing is pretty low; I'm playing directly through the capture window for now and not having any issues.
I redid the above video to achieve arguably better results on Youtube. Click 480p or 720p for best results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqunMRCaFS8

I also did a couple more capture tests:
NES (480i composite): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Y_adtcy-c
Dreamcast (480p VGA): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGvmC-syHk

I'm also working on a 1080p 60fps HDMI Xbox 360 capture, but man, my computer is struggling with it. I think my hard drive is barely fast enough to save that much uncompressed footage on the fly without frame drops, but I can't tell for sure because my computer chokes when simply trying to play it back. It's going to take a minute to sort all of this out.

antibolo

Banned
Is retro_console_accessories sometimes slow in answering combined shipping invoice requests? I ordered 3 cables from her but it's been more than 48 hours now and my invoice request hasn't gotten a reply yet, and eBay is starting to pester me about unpaid items. I was going to send another message but I don't want to sound like an impatient jerk.

baphomet

Is retro_console_accessories sometimes slow in answering combined shipping invoice requests? I ordered 3 cables from her but it's been more than 48 hours now and my invoice request hasn't gotten a reply yet, and eBay is starting to pester me about unpaid items. I was going to send another message but I don't want to sound like an impatient jerk.

I also messaged her 2 days ago and she got back to me this morning. If youre sure you sent it Id just wait to hear from her. Maybe message her tomorrow if you dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom