• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey you guys ever had an order from Solaris Japan and had issues?

075nn3i.png

Normal to have it "processing" for like 15 days?

Contact/email them.

Nearing the end of my setup issues but the biggest remaining problem I have is trying to find a way to switch Scart connections. Is there any definitive way to get ones that don't degrade image quality? I have a need for i'd say 12 ports all together, so it would be nice to start figuring out how to handle this. I saw the one on Assembler but it seems to be stuck in preorder heaven so not practical right now.

I'm waiting on it too. Really seems like the best thing.

dhonk

i'd email them just to leave some feedback about it. it's something that can be improved.

I did actually email them twice, once saying that it was supposedly still "processing" and another saying I received the package. So helpfully that brings a bit more awareness to it there.

This thread is amazing, but all the extra knowledge has ultimately confused me! I'm on the look out for a PS2 AV-HDMI convertor so I can play PS2 games on my PC Monitor. Will I be fine to buy a standard one and be good to go?

D.Lo

This thread is amazing, but all the extra knowledge has ultimately confused me! I'm on the look out for a PS2 AV-HDMI convertor so I can play PS2 games on my PC Monitor. Will I be fine to buy a standard one and be good to go?
Your TV can almost certainly take 480i/480p via component, and in a lot of cases will have a better result than any crappy cheap box.

480p from Gamecube looks fantastic on my Panasonic. PS2 component isn't as good, but the image is as good as the console can output.

So get a component cable.

He's talking about a PC monitor that may not have component inputs. If it doesn't then the best thing for a PS2 would be a component cable output into a component to HDMI converter that would go into the PC monitor. This, of course, would entail input lag as the converter or monitor itself would have to upscale from 480i/p to its native resolution. If some lag isn't a big deal then that would probably give a pretty good image, better than composite out and conversion.

I have a question about SCART to YUV boxes. Let's say you want to hook up a Sega Saturn to a North American (no SCART or other RGB input) SD TV that has component inputs, would a SCART to YUV box do that with no lag and work properly? My understanding is that YUV means component at 15khz, and can handle 240p and 480i. Of course a 480i SD TV could not display 480p or anything @30khz anyway right?
Basically I keep kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap consumer Sony Trinitron and popping it into an arcade cabinet for a console/arcade hybrid. I would want at least s-video quality visuals from a consoles though and for Sega systems would need to convert SCART to something. And most importantly I don't want any input lag.

D.Lo

Apologies I must have mentally skipped the 'PC monitor' bit. In which case yes a component to HDMI box will be as good as you can get.

I have a question about SCART to YUV boxes. Let's say you want to hook up a Sega Saturn to a North American (no SCART or other RGB input) SD TV that has component inputs, would a SCART to YUV box do that with no lag and work properly? My understanding is that YUV means component at 15khz, and can handle 240p and 480i. Of course a 480i SD TV could not display 480p or anything @30khz anyway right?
Yes that will work perfectly with no lag (as the conversion is just colour transcoding). I did it for years to a Panasonic CRT.

He's talking about a PC monitor that may not have component inputs. If it doesn't then the best thing for a PS2 would be a component cable output into a component to HDMI converter that would go into the PC monitor. This, of course, would entail input lag as the converter or monitor itself would have to upscale from 480i/p to its native resolution. If some lag isn't a big deal then that would probably give a pretty good image, better than composite out and conversion.

Thanks, yeah it's to a PC Monitor. I still have a 'normal' TV kicking about, so that's not an issue. Thanks for all the help.

Apologies I must have mentally skipped the 'PC monitor' bit. In which case yes a component to HDMI box will be as good as you can get.

Yes that will work perfectly with no lag (as the conversion is just colour transcoding). I did it for years to a Panasonic CRT.
Do you have a converter recommendation? Anyone else?

shanafan

Mike from Cinemassacre's setup:
https://youtu.be/R6ZDMvGZcd4?t=10m6s

Curious, is he using the Framemeister right? Do you just plug in your composite cables and then an HDMI going out?

Looking at this setup, he has composite switches hooked up to more composite switches. Is the Framemeister that good that, even though the signal gets a little downgraded going from a switch to another switch, that the Framemeister is able to still up-res the image?

Madao

Curious, is he using the Framemeister right? Do you just plug in your composite cables and then an HDMI going out?

Looking at this setup, he has composite switches hooked up to more composite switches. Is the Framemeister that good that, even though the signal gets a little downgraded going from a switch to another switch, that the Framemeister is able to still up-res the image?

it can up res anything you feed it, even RF transcoded to composite.
now, getting an image that looks good is a different matter.
imo, using a FM with composite cables is a waste. spend $400 on FM but not the money needed to get s-Video or RGB cables? reminds me of the people who hook up HD consoles to HD TVs with composite cables.

Should I get this Sanyo for free:

Or drive half an hour and pay $30 for this Trinitron:

the one with component inputs. if both have them, the one with the flatter screen.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The Framemeister will improve latency and a couple other things but it really isn't going to substantially improve picture quality. Not with Composite. He'd get substantial improvements with RGB or even just S-Video.

I don't think the signal degradation between switch boxes is really worth mentioning.

genjiZERO

Apparently it's a KV-27FS120. This good enough?

Chances are I'm gonna be running a Wii U via component to it and a PS1 via composite or s-video

Not sure on that specific model, but Trinitrons are spectacular generally (I've had two over the years). Also the flat panel is much better than the beveled kind.

IMO, it's worth $20.

shanafan

I don't think the signal degradation between switch boxes is really worth mentioning.

Nice. So signal degradation between switch boxes isn't much of a thing? Good to hear. I am getting a component switch box soon based on the setup I am looking to achieve. I am hooking up an OG Xbox and Wii to one of my monitors.

I was looking into possible component to HDMI converters maybe instead, and really only came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VJ9RP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any other alternatives to a component to HDMI method?

dhonk

You can upscale composite but its a waste of time. Frankly he has no idea what hes talking about and hopefully he jumps on the RGB train someday. Otherwise he just wasted 300 bucks.

People who buy a Framemeister to improve composite signals baffle me...

I thought the goal is to minimize the lag and take your TV's scaler out of the picture, not to make it look better. Regardless, it will make any signal look better. Composite on my TV is hilariously shit and I noticed a big difference in the short time I had to use a composite signal with my framemeister. of course, there's no reason to stick with that cable. If you've bought the framemeister, you should buy the better cables too.

I didn't once consider lag reduction to be a function worth buying the unit for, but I don't have a big ass gaudy modern television. Power to him if he's satisfied with it but the XRGB series is primarily about making the best of RGB in my eyes.

I didn't once consider lag reduction to be a function worth buying the unit for, but I don't have a big ass gaudy modern television. Power to him if he's satisfied with it but the XRGB series is primarily about making the best of RGB in my eyes.

Yeah, if you're goal is to get no lag, the FM isn't really what you want.

baphomet

I thought the goal is to minimize the lag and take your TV's scaler out of the picture, not to make it look better. Regardless, it will make any signal look better. Composite on my TV is hilariously shit and I noticed a big difference in the short time I had to use a composite signal with my framemeister. of course, there's no reason to stick with that cable. If you've bought the framemeister, you should buy the better cables too.

The Framemeister would be the last thing you would want to reduce lag.

It will reduce lag compared to the vast majority of HD TV's upscalers being fed straight 240p or 480i. Of course no scaler itself can "reduce lag" it just tried to minimize the lag inherent in upscaling. I think of the Framemeister as a tax accountant, they charge you money but (hopefully) you pay less in the end cause they take out more from your original tax bill than they cost.

D.Lo

People who buy a Framemeister to improve composite signals baffle me...
That's a bit unfair. For non-modded native composite consoles (Famicom/NES, PC Engine models), the Framemeister is by far the best image you can get on a modern screen. And almost certainly lower lag too.

NES looks like absolute garbage on my Panasonic, a blurry, artifacty mess. Through the Framemesiter the only issue is dot crawl inherent in composite.

Now RGB is clearly the best use of the box, but if you really want a non-modded NES to look as good and perform as well as possible, it's the way to go.

goldenpp72

Hey again guys, I was wondering if anyone in here has info on Philips CDI? I don't plan to use the system much but I am hunting one down now, in the OP it shows that the S-video connection is yellow, which means on some models I guess, but the Scart is the same thing and from my research it shows RGB requires a mod to do so, so is a mod required to get S-video output too or is there some other means?

I know this is the obscure of obscure but, I can't find any resources for it..

Bodacious

Banned
General question -- if I have no plans or interest in watching actual television programs on my gaming display (to which I would be connecting the xrgb mini FM), am I actually better off using a computer monitor, so far as lag and bang/buck are concerned? I am basically starting from scratch on the display side (old CRT is done, and I'd rather buy a new/modern display plus FM than search for antiques). Large PC monitors don't really cost that much these days, and I'm expecting the lag issue might be much improved vs. a TV. (???)

I would be running SNES and Saturn through RGB SCART, AV Fami through composite until I get NESRGB mod, Gamecube through S-video for Gameboy Player only, and Wii through the FM's D-link input for Wii, Gamecube (nintendont), and emus.

KC-Slater

General question -- if I have no plans or interest in watching actual television programs on my gaming display (to which I would be connecting the xrgb mini FM), am I actually better off using a computer monitor, so far as lag and bang/buck are concerned? I am basically starting from scratch on the display side (old CRT is done, and I'd rather buy a new/modern display plus FM than search for antiques). Large PC monitors don't really cost that much these days, and I'm expecting the lag issue might be much improved vs. a TV. (???)

I would be running SNES and Saturn through RGB SCART, AV Fami through composite until I get NESRGB mod, Gamecube through S-video for Gameboy Player only, and Wii through the FM's D-link input for Wii, Gamecube (nintendont), and emus.

As long as you are comfortable with a display no bigger than about 27" and have external speakers or headphones, I'd say yes, a computer monitor would be a fantastic option.

baphomet

Hey again guys, I was wondering if anyone in here has info on Philips CDI? I don't plan to use the system much but I am hunting one down now, in the OP it shows that the S-video connection is yellow, which means on some models I guess, but the Scart is the same thing and from my research it shows RGB requires a mod to do so, so is a mod required to get S-video output too or is there some other means?

I know this is the obscure of obscure but, I can't find any resources for it..

It just means only certain models have svideo and scart. Scart is basically nonexistent on them though, and the only one that had it was a non consumer euro version I believe. Svideo is on most of the other sets, except those smaller more console looking ones. Those are composite only. I forget which one I have, but it was easily modded for RGB. It's the original looking one.

Bodacious

Banned
As long as you are comfortable with a display no bigger than about 27" and have external speakers or headphones, I'd say yes, a computer monitor would be a fantastic option.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking. This is gonna be set up in a small room, personal space, so the 27" range is suitable. Was just curious if the average PC monitor could be expected to outperform a TV in the same size/price range.

Madao

i really wish there was a big PC monitors category. i can't go back to small screens for my normal gaming but there's no HDTV with sub 1 frame of input lag yet and that bums me out.
also, i don't use anything else the TV has so if i replaced it with a Monitor, there wouldn't be any changes in my setup.

KC-Slater

Yeah that's what I've been thinking. This is gonna be set up in a small room, personal space, so the 27" range is suitable. Was just curious if the average PC monitor could be expected to outperform a TV in the same size/price range.

Their refresh rates and colour depth would be far better than a similarly-sized/priced television. Unfortunately beyond 27", PC monitors jump in price significantly/disproportionately, but if you're cool with that size, definitely go for it!

i really wish there was a big PC monitors category. i can't go back to small screens for my normal gaming but there's no HDTV with sub 1 frame of input lag yet and that bums me out.
also, i don't use anything else the TV has so if i replaced it with a Monitor, there wouldn't be any changes in my setup.

I have a 42" Panasonic Professional Plasma from 2013, and it's essentially a big monitor. (No tuner, no speakers, a wide array of input options.) These are great for gaming, and can be found for well under $1000 U.S. (I got mine for $350 Canadian IIRC) so that may be a viable option as well.

dhonk

I have a 42" Panasonic Professional Plasma from 2013, and it's essentially a big monitor. (No tuner, no speakers, a wide array of input options.) These are great for gaming, and can be found for well under $1000 U.S. (I got mine for $350 Canadian IIRC) so that may be a viable option as well.

Anymore info on something like this? Im in the market!

It will reduce lag compared to the vast majority of HD TV's upscalers being fed straight 240p or 480i. Of course no scaler itself can "reduce lag" it just tried to minimize the lag inherent in upscaling. I think of the Framemeister as a tax accountant, they charge you money but (hopefully) you pay less in the end cause they take out more from your original tax bill than they cost.

exactly what i was trying to say

goldenpp72

It just means only certain models have svideo and scart. Scart is basically nonexistent on them though, and the only one that had it was a non consumer euro version I believe. Svideo is on most of the other sets, except those smaller more console looking ones. Those are composite only. I forget which one I have, but it was easily modded for RGB. It's the original looking one.

Can it just generically use any Svideo cable or is there a designated cable for it, would help in the hunt to make sure I get the right one as it's the last console on my list for now. On a side note I finally just hooked up the N64 you sent me and it all looks good :p

I've spent the day trying to hook up various consoles and am finding them to have various levels of success. I guess i'm not sure just what I should be expecting out of the framemeister. For example, I hooked up a Wii to it and have it set to Auto for the aspect ratio, but it does not default the Wii to widescreen, I have to set it to 16:9 manually, is that normal or am I missing something?

Otherwise, I guess I should ask is there any direct captures of about what various consoles should look like running through this thing for reference on settings, I have a Sony KDL50W800B as well so, any tips on how to get the best image out of it and the framemeister would be greatly helpful. All in all so far the genesis seems to look most like how things should look based on my memory, but it's a lot of work only to not be sure if i've even set it up right. All the calibration settings I find for my TV don't have game mode which makes the input lag much better so i'd rather keep it on.

Edit: Also, when not tweaking anything quite a bit of the image isn't used and in the instance of the Genesis you see some noise around the non played areas, zooming in seems to correct the issue to some extent but it in turn seems to destroy the scanlines, is it an either/or situation?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It was pretty hard to find reliable information on the CD-i. Not only was it an obscure system to begin with, but it seemed to vary a lot between different models.

shanafan

I'd be keen to get some feedback on this or any other decent component to HDMI options too. Anyone have any experience of these? I'm thinking of GameCube.

I am going to pick up this month. I can let the thread know the results! Sounds like another user here has had success with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom