• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhonk

Yeah, that looks way better. It's actually more similar than I expected. The speed changes accounted for, the homebrew definitely seems like the way to go.

Yeah if I had compared Gameboy Player WITHOUT 240p forced, GBI would have absolutely destroyed it in terms of image quality. But I figure if someone is considering the homebrew, then they can probably use Swiss to force 240p on the regular old Gameboy Player.

Also worth noting is my XRGB settings I didnt really mess with. Im sure someone out there can come up with some superior settings. (Im still very new to the XRGB mini!)

Yeah if I had compared Gameboy Player WITHOUT 240p forced, GBI would have absolutely destroyed it in terms of image quality. But I figure if someone is considering the homebrew, then they can probably use Swiss to force 240p on the regular old Gameboy Player.

Yeah, I figure it's not worth comparing the vanilla GBP since anyone who can use the homebrew launcher can use swiss anyway, and there's no advantage to not using one of them.

If you have the means to record high quality 60 fps video of it running I'd be interested in a video comparison, but I'm not sure if you have the hardware or a means to upload it. Not sure it'd be worth bothering with if it's not 60fps at least.
I've been needing to check out that GameBoy Interface. Doesn't it also force 240p without the need for Swiss?

Also, is there an ISO of it? That would be much easier to just boot a disc of.

Yes to both, though I'm not sure where to find the ISO I've seen people mention finding it in a couple places iirc

baphomet

I've been needing to check out that GameBoy Interface. Doesn't it also force 240p without the need for Swiss?

dhonk

It does default to 240p apparently, but not with Component cables? Kind of odd, but its what I gathered from the thread over at GC-Forever. Not sure why that is. Also I couldnt get swiss to work with it, loading via SDGecko. THis seems to be a known thing.

Also yes people have made ISO versions.

If you have the means to record high quality 60 fps video of it running I'd be interested in a video comparison, but I'm not sure if you have the hardware or a means to upload it. Not sure it'd be worth bothering with if it's not 60fps at least.

Could try the Elgato at 720p 60fps in a bit. Bapho has a similar setup I think when he does youtube videos.

dhonk

Perfect, thanks guys.

What's the difference between the low latency and ultra low latency versions?

LdcDO1p.png

So Ultra low latency version is really intended for BVMs PVMs I take it, and low latency version is for displays that the Ultra low latency version doesnt work for. (Neither versions worked on my display through XRGB for what its worth.)

The regular version has more features and is probably fine for most people. Myself included.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So Ultra low latency version is really intended for BVMs PVMs I take it, and low latency version is for displays that the Ultra low latency version doesnt work for. (Neither versions worked on my display through XRGB for what its worth.)

The regular version has more features and is probably fine for most people. Myself included.
I actually do have component cables as well *BUT* I'm using SCART for GBI. It defaults to 240p when using RGB, I've found.

Also, the ultra low latency and low latency versions work perfectly (and slightly better than the regular version) over RGB. Using the normal version I get slight blurring on scrolling but the image is sharper in motion using UL and ULL. Most importantly, the input lag is almost completely eliminated. It feels super responsive using ULL. I was pretty stunned.

dhonk

I actually do have component cables as well *BUT* I'm using SCART for GBI. It defaults to 240p when using RGB, I've found.

Also, the ultra low latency and low latency versions work perfectly (and slightly better than the regular version) over RGB. Using the normal version I get slight blurring on scrolling but the image is sharper in motion using UL and ULL. Most importantly, the input lag is almost completely eliminated. It feels super responsive using ULL. I was pretty stunned.

Ok interesting, might be worth picking up Gamecube SCART just to try out the low latency version then!

EDIT: Is the official SCART cable the only one worth a damn? They are kind of expensive, and theres lots of cheaper ones.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ok interesting, might be worth picking up Gamecube SCART just to try out the low latency version then!

EDIT: Is the official SCART cable the only one worth a damn? They are kind of expensive, and theres lots of cheaper ones.
1) Yes. Every other SCART cable I've tested produces an awful picture on GC. You end up with lots of dithering and artefacts. The official cable cleans that up. It should be possible to duplicate but I've yet to find a third party cable that was able to do so.

2) Just in case, I should mention that it only works with PAL GC systems.

Bodacious

Banned
Same. Are people who are saying it's difficult trying to blob solder it directly onto the board?

I did the 'short wire' method and it came out ok, but I thought it was very close work. I mean the XenoGC's footprint isn't even half the size of a postage stamp, all the work is done within about 1/3 of that area and there are 6 points to solder IIRC, and the potential for shorts is high. Well, being over 45 with worn out eyes doesn't help either (if you're under 40 look up "presbyopia." You might as well know what it is, it's gonna happen to you, too.)

If you're not familiar with the short wire method, see here .

Ok that explains why your screens using the official disk look so good. The GBI image quality is still edging it, but I was confused at first cuz running the Gameboy Player 'stock' it looks horrendously worse than that.

Also if you haven't tried the Low Latency version, do. Yeah, it's a fixed window, but it's a nice step up on clarity beyond the standard GBI software. And I can see that using S-video into a CRT.
Edit: just saw above where the LL version didn't work for you? That's odd - it's awesome for me with my dinosaur s-vid to regular CRT connection. ULL was a no-go though.

baphomet

I'm not able to get the GBI to run at 240p with component cables for some reason. There doesn't seem to be any sort of options using the ISO. Not only that, but I can't change any of the options using Swiss either.

Are you sure you're getting 240p with the component cables using GBI?

*Edit, I see that you're running GBI in roughly 480p. Well that really blows that you can't use GBI with component cables and get 240p.

dhonk

I'm not able to get the GBI to run at 240p with component cables for some reason. There doesn't seem to be any sort of options using the ISO. Not only that, but I can't change any of the options using Swiss either.

Are you sure you're getting 240p with the component cables using GBI?

*Edit, I see that you're running GBI in roughly 480p. Well that really blows that you can't use GBI with component cables and get 240p.

Yes unfortunately this seems to be the case according to the developer. Not sure how swiss manages it, but GBI does not. :(

VbuOcLP.png

Im not sure what to think of the explanation, surely it can be forced to output no matter what the EDTV spec wants? (Going to be upscaled with an upscaler anyway.) Weird.

dhonk

I couldnt get any version to launch through swiss. I didnt know if that was an issue on my end or not. And there is no 16:9 specific version, I just made a DOL with that argument patched in basically.

baphomet

I couldnt get any version to launch through swiss. I didnt know if that was an issue on my end or not. And there is no 16:9 specific version, I just made a DOL with that argument patched in basically.

Also, how are you even getting this to output progressive? I literally can't get it to boot to anything other than 480i even when attempting to force it via swiss.

dhonk

Also, how are you even getting this to output progressive? I literally can't get it to boot to anything other than 480i even when attempting to force it via swiss.

I used this guy's program here to patch the DOL to include some arguments that the OP listed. His post is pretty self explanatory for the most part, just grab the devkitpro installer thingy he mentioned and install that. --nointerlaced is the command that forced 480p for me.

qe8hn5x.png

Stuff to change is highlighted. Note his program comments. Kind of a bummer that we cant get 240p out of component currently, Im hoping that will change.

dhonk

And hey, more experimenting. The ULL version of Gameboy Interface sent to my Gamecube via PSOLoader but I only get audio and no video from my XRGB mini. I suspect this is a sync issue but I cant change my sync level?

Anyone know why?

EDIT: Nvm, I dont think the gamecube is outputting video at all through the digital port when using the ULL version of GBI. Damn shame.

that is nice. I have an open one with glass shelves and there's just cords fucking everywhere. the problem is I'm constantly switching consoles in and out.

dhonk

The top looks brighter, the bottom maybe more detail? Reminds me of what I'm going through with comparing composite to S-video for N64.

A good thing to look at is the leaf shading on the bottom left side. You can see how much detail is muddied by the Gameboy Player.

I'm pretty sure GBI is supposed to be able to output 240p over component
Read through this thread
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46769&start=240

Which posts suggest that? I can't really find any.

shanafan

So, I have a question, and I hope I don't get people carrying pitchforks towards my way!

I have watched a few videos about the Framemeister, as well as videos showing consoles outputting RGB like the NES. I have a Retron5, but not a Framemeister. The image quality is pretty good with the Retron5. Better than a NES running composite.

Has anyone seen comparisons between the Retron5 and the Framemeister outputting in RGB? Does the Retron5 hold up pretty well in such a comparison?

Timu

So, I have a question, and I hope I don't get people carrying pitchforks towards my way!

I have watched a few videos about the Framemeister, as well as videos showing consoles outputting RGB like the NES. I have a Retron5, but not a Framemeister. The image quality is pretty good with the Retron5. Better than a NES running composite.

Has anyone seen comparisons between the Retron5 and the Framemeister outputting in RGB? Does the Retron5 hold up pretty well in such a comparison?
Retron 5 can't do RGB.

If the Retron can't get an image better than the framemeister, that's embarrassing as fuck, seeing as it's an emulation box. I cannot understand why anyone would buy one, though, given a laptop (let alone desktop PC) can do everything it does better and without stealing code.

televator

As I understand it, the GBP adds some sort of filter that looks bad. The homebrew launcher removes that.

Homebrew launcher also fixes the clock speed and a few other issues with the GBP, so it's preferable to Swiss in every way afaik.

**It might actually be bad scaling. I can't recall.

Here's a link to the dev thread: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2782

I fucking called that this would happen! Boom! Thank you hacking scene.
2662703-2884554368-25269.gif

Randomizer

Um, isn't the HDMI out of the Retron5 RGB? Not 15kHz sure, but still RGB.

You are correct HDMI is RGB as are Component, DVI and VGA. Yeah he is referring to 15Khz, 240p RGB. From the reviews I've read the Framemeister is leagues better than the Retron5. The Retron5 is only good if you want one console to play your older games due to clutter.

Example of how Framemeister looks(must watch in 720p)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNeKlWoLy6Y

You have to consider cost, though. It isn't a surprise that the Retron5 is inferior, it is aiming at a certain demographic that aren't so heavily invested in their retro gaming.

Madao

GBI is such an interesting improvement to GBP usability that i'm going to build my own SD Gecko converter to use SD Cards on GC in a few days (need to get parts and help to do it). might even record videos of the process for documentation since it seems to be a rather simple job.

btw, if i get the SD Gecko adapter made, all i need is to download homebrew stuff and put it in the SD Card to make GBI work, right?

dhonk

GBI is such an interesting improvement to GBP usability that i'm going to build my own SD Gecko converter to use SD Cards on GC in a few days (need to get parts and help to do it). might even record videos of the process for documentation since it seems to be a rather simple job.

btw, if i get the SD Gecko adapter made, all i need is to download homebrew stuff and put it in the SD Card to make GBI work, right?

You need something to boot homebrew first. I use the broadband adapter with PSOLoad, but there are other ways to do it. Stuff like SD Media Launcher works too.

Also, SD Gecko is pretty simple. Heres mine I made a couple weeks ago! Just used a Micro SD card adapter, so this is pretty much a micro sd adapter. You can seek out a regular SD card slot thing, with the push click but I have so many of these adapters around I sacrificed one.

H7zJXUsl.jpg

On the GBI front. Its just not possible to use the low latency versions with XRGB mini. It wont recognize the weird refresh rate. And no 240p out of Component either. Fuckin bummer!! You need a PVM / CRT for the low latency version it seems.

Madao

You need something to boot homebrew first. I use the broadband adapter with PSOLoad, but there are other ways to do it. Stuff like SD Media Launcher works too.

Also, SD Gecko is pretty simple. Heres mine I made a couple weeks ago! Just used a Micro SD card adapter, so this is pretty much a micro sd adapter. You can seek out a regular SD card slot thing, with the push click but I have so many of these adapters around I sacrificed one.

H7zJXUsl.jpg

On the GBI front. Its just not possible to use the low latency versions with XRGB mini. It wont recognize the weird refresh rate. And no 240p out of Component either. Fuckin bummer!! You need a PVM / CRT for the low latency version it seems.

i ended up ordering a SDML because there's no other easy way for me to get homebrew loaded on GC (modding the machine itself is out of the question because my country is completely devoid of any place to do that and shipping the machine would be far more expensive than the SDML and getting PSO + BBA is also more expensive)
i've got a CRT since i got one recently so that should be good for now until there's more options available.

this should at least provide some fun with comparisons and stuff.

BONKERS

BazookaBen said:
donhonk said:
bobrocks95 said:
donhonk said:
Has anyone gotten Gameboy Interface to run in 240p over Component? The dev makes it sound like this isn't possible.

The ultra-low-lag version over S-Video can't be in color, that might be what you're thinking of.

VbuOcLP.png

This is where I get this from actually

The post you quoted was from months ago, BEFORE he created the ULL player. So they're talking about the standard GBI + Swiss + who knows what else, I'm not going to keep reading.

But I can confirm that the ULL does in fact play at 240p over component cables. I played Metroid Fusion from start to finish with it on a PVM CRT over the past couple weeks. Picture proof a couple pages back. Your problem is somewhere else in the chain.

^^^

Metroid Fusion running at 240p over GBI
IMG0261zpsvyp2gegg.jpg

televator

You are correct HDMI is RGB as are Component, DVI and VGA. Yeah he is referring to 15Khz, 240p RGB. From the reviews I've read the Framemeister is leagues better than the Retron5. The Retron5 is only good if you want one console to play your older games due to clutter.

Example of how Framemeister looks(must watch in 720p)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNeKlWoLy6Y

Actually component isn't RGB. Its YPbPr. Its a way of compressing RGB so it ends up a bit different. I believe the black level is also different than full RGB. Speaking of full RGB, its not a guarantee that you'll get full RGB via HDMI. You might actually get limited RGB which has a different black level . Or you might actually get the digital form of component as YCbCr.

dhonk

Yea, directly booting the LL GBI disc starts in 240p for me as well. It's just the main disc that doesn't seem to work with 240p and component cables.

!!

What kind of display are you guys using? Im guessing not an HDTV. D: Gotta find a PVM...

baphomet

!!

What kind of display are you guys using? Im guessing not an HDTV. D: Gotta find a PVM...

Running it through my mini the LL version is working just fine. Haven't checked the ULL version yet.

Edit - Yea, there's no reason not to spend the $10 to put a XenoGC in there.

dhonk

Running it through my mini the LL version is working just fine. Haven't checked the ULL version yet.

Edit - Yea, there's no reason not to spend the $10 to put a XenoGC in there.

Damn, not sure why but I do not get picture at all. But at least theres hope. Any guesses as to why Im not getting any picture?

D.Lo

I actually installed a XenoGC years ago and couldn't get it to work. I seem to remember you had to wait for a certain colour light?

Anyway my modding skills are likely worse now too. Maybe I'll give it another try and do it wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom