• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega

Banned
Finally read through that refresh rate discussion. Nothing to add really, except that my head is spinning a little. Maybe flat panels will never reach CRTs but it will be good enough. It probably already is good enough for all but the most discerning individuals with the current gamer monitors.

Well, I've been really trying to narrow down how to make my XRGB Mini's scanlines look as BVM-like as possible. I truly think, for retro gaming, the BVM gets scanlines just right. I used photos like the one taken by Fudoh below for reference:

scan_bvm.jpg

Using FBX's SNES 4x integer scaling profile, input RGB via SCART, output at 1080p, without scanlines, the output looks like so:

After using the recommended settings for scanlines, INT_LINE: 80 and INT_SMOOTH: 100, the output gives pretty washed out scanlines:

After tweaking with the settings, setting INT_LINE: 0, INT_SMOOTH: 90, and boosting the Gamma to 30 to compensate for darkening of the image, I get these results:

Keep in mind these were all taken with a cell phone camera, but you can see that you can get very close to BVM-like scanlines by modifying these two scanline parameters.

I'll probably keep tweaking them, but for now I'm pretty happy with these results. Feel free to try these settings, and let me know if you have any additional tweaks!

Is that XRGB's scanline capabilities? Seems really lacking although you've done a nice job yourself to do it as good as possible. BVMs do produce thick scanlines but they don't come out looking like solid, even black lines throughout (except maybe in big blocks of solid color). They look more like pulse waves; the width throughout the line varies depending on the color and brightness being displayed on that particular vertical segment (TV line) of the horizontal line. The intensity (or lack thereof) makes the black scanlines above and below it look narrower or wider. The glow of the phosphors also adds a tinge to the neighboring black area itself. This gives the effect of the black parts being colored from just a couple of feet away from the screen. Take a look at the focused areas of the images below to see what a BVM looks like.

See the variable thickness of the horizontal lines, especially in the red and gray of the guy attacking.
Better shown in full size: http://i.imgur.com/DwADviZh.jpg
DwADviZh.jpg

Look at how the black lines in his hair are not pure black to the one's eyes.
Full size: http://i.imgur.com/OOxFslMh.jpg
OOxFslMh.jpg

I understand that the XRGB may be limited in what it can do, and flat panels can't imitate most of what I'm going on about (RetroArch with CRT shaders do come close). But it's for those reasons I think your "washed out lines" image is actually closer to a BVM than the final image you posted. More natural and analog over the digital look and exact precision of the latter image.

Re: BVMs being the "best," I now think they're sometimes too much of a good thing. The scanlines can simply be too thick in certain parts of certain games. I think a good example is Dr. Grant climbing across a rope in Jurassic Park (Genesis). At times he looks like an abstract collection of short spaced-out lines instead of a solid figure of a man. Then there's the sky in games like Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes looking dim/faded and less defined clouds in comparison to my other monitors -- because there are thick dark lines streaking across it. It doesn't always work and sort of underscores that these monitors weren't made for 240p games and vice-versa.

For those reasons I think a PVM with a slightly soft tube and about 500-600 TVL (20M2U, 20N6U, 14L2) may produce the most pleasant PVM/BVM-like image with nice glow and clear but not overpowering scanlines. In side by side tests, my lady helps me judge and always picks the 600-line 14L2, sharp with with clear subtle lines VS. two sharper BVMs with heavier lines. It's all personal choice of course, but some graphical stuff really does suffer from this very high-end monitor.

Kawika

So I am in the Market for a new TV. My gut reaction is to get a new 1080p set but I did notice that these 4K tvs are coming with built in upscalers. As a PVM owner, I am able to play input lag free on my 14" but I was curious to see if anyone has had any luck upscaling 240p/480i content without a XRGB on a 4K set. I have been dropping not-so-subtle hints to my wife about getting a XRGB mini for Christmas. I know most people upscale to 720p from 240p on HD displays. Anyone with a 4k set notice any weirdness when doing that?

Note: I have been checking the various sites for the least input lag 4k/1080p sets and since I mostly want the XRGB for playing RPGs I am not that concerned with input lag. Platformers and my PVM are BFFs.

Thanks guys, there is another listing for $30 something, I don't know why the particular one I linked is so high.
Speaking of Dreamcast I just wanted to vent that I have mistakenly missed 2 dream (pun intended) auctions by sleeping through one auction ending and my sniping app not working on another. So sad, want to play Shenmue.

Lettuce

So I am in the Market for a new TV. My gut reaction is to get a new 1080p set but I did notice that these 4K tvs are coming with built in upscalers. As a PVM owner, I am able to play input lag free on my 14" but I was curious to see if anyone has had any luck upscaling 240p/480i content without a XRGB on a 4K set. I have been dropping not-so-subtle hints to my wife about getting a XRGB mini for Christmas. I know most people upscale to 720p from 240p on HD displays. Anyone with a 4k set notice any weirdness when doing that?

Note: I have been checking the various sites for the least input lag 4k/1080p sets and since I mostly want the XRGB for playing RPGs I am not that concerned with input lag. Platformers and my PVM are BFFs.

Check out the Sony XBR55X810C

It should, it does 480i with svideo.
Last questions I promise lol, I've heard there are ways to force 240p on games that don't support 480p, does that work through S-video and with this box, and is there anything special you have to do or is it through the software? And what brand of male to male (I'm assuming this box is just a female VGA and S-video lead) S-video and VGA cables do you recommend? Usually I go 1st party but these are no 1st party male to male.

Timu

Last questions I promise lol, I've heard there are ways to force 240p on games that don't support 480p, does that work through S-video and with this box, and is there anything special you have to do or is it through the software? And what brand of male to male (I'm assuming this box is just a female VGA and S-video lead) S-video and VGA cables do you recommend? Usually I go 1st party but these are no 1st party male to male.
You can read about it here.

As for cables, shouldn't matter really as I even use a standard male vga that works perfectly.

Where did people get the idea that CRTs are super blurry from? I was reading a certain other thread about old games and this came up a few times.

Like 240p games are super crisp, even PS2/Xbox/GC 480i games all looked good, old TV/DVD at 480i on an SDTV looked totally fine. On my HDTV using PS2 at 480i looks pretty rough... is it coming from that and just a weird false memory that people project onto old TVs? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Most people on this board probably used RF or composite video signals, both of which are inherently blurry (RF moreso than composite, IIRC).

I know I sure as heck did, back in the day.

Peagles

I dunno, I used RF up until the Wii on pretty cheap TVs and none of them were blurry. Poor image quality sure but not that horrible blur that people seem to want to put on CRT filters.

Timu

The only system I used RF on was the Atari 2600, from NES to N64 eras I used composite and moved to svideo by Gen 6 and then component.

Mega

Banned
People have had their memories altered and are remembering incorrectly for the following reasons:

1. Playing SD games on HDTVs. Terrible built-in scalers on these sets, artifacts, bluriness, etc. The Wii is still fresh in people's minds and gave the impression that SD is "actually" ugly and has no place anywhere but the past.

2. Playing HD games on SDTVs. The display's lack of resolving power for HD content means hard to read text and unclear graphical details. The 3DS has this problem with complex-looking games like Xenoblade and Monster Hunter.

3. Watching 80s, 90s and early 2000s shows on network and cable television. I think most of these have been reformatted for HDTVs from 480i or 480p sources and can look pretty hazy and unappealing.

4. Watching 240p streams on Youtube and whatnot. "Ah 240p, my old nemesis." "Filmed on a potato." Looks horrific and cements that SD = crap.

Erroneous conclusion: "SD displays and 240p content always looked terrible, I just didn't know any better until the era of HD televisions and high resolutions opened my eyes."

I don't think it has anything to do with composite. I was playing 480i/composite Dreamcast while I wait for a cable and it looks really good. I had two young nephews playing 240p/S-video N64 and 480i/component Wii on CRTs and they were having a blast. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on Wii looks really good!

missile

I also don't think that RF needs to be blurry because the signal contains
enough bandwidth (up to 3.5 MHz luminance with some degraded colors, yet
phenomenological less noticeable) to produce a very good picture when treated
under the intended design conditions, i.e. when the TV has enough bandwidth to
reproduce the signal fully and when the picture is seen from little far away
(about 4x the physical height of the screen).

What really makes RF bad are weak filter circuits in a transmitter/receiver/
TV. You can imagine that there are quality differences all over the place. If
you will ever design an analog filter then you will see what effort can be
spend to build filters making the picture look very good. What really kills
picture quality are increased capacities in parallel to the video or HF
signal, they act sort of a low-pass filter with the result of lowering resp.
deforming the overall frequency response and pass-band for the video signal
and will as such lead to increased artifacts in the picture (blurring is just
one of those). When designing such filters you have to keep an eye on all the
capacities around including wires (should be very short) etc., they all have
an effect on the frequency response of an analog filter. On the other hand we
have component wear not easing the situation. However, most issues with analog
filters were solved using digital ones (the new king) leading to an increase
in picture quality right at the spot. However, it wasn't so easy to replace
all filters at once, because RF/HF digital filters are a bit more demanding.
Hence, while the video circuit filters were all digital, the tuner wasn't
right from the beginning. Anyhow, given that the CRT isn't at fault and if we
could turn back time replacing all the analog filters (even the tuner) with an
all digital solution (using very good digital filters), picture quality would
be much better on average given the same RF video signal.

Next to the filters, there is the CRT itself. There are so many things that
can go wrong here. No matter how good the filters might be, if the focus is
off, the picture too bright, or weak compensation of the non-linear magnetic
fields of the deflection coils (leading to an astigmatisms of the spot) you
will never get a good picture.

What's really fascinating about TVs etc. is, that it actually works at all. xD

Huggers

Finally got a scart distribution amplifier. Great for capturing footage whilst using a CRT without lag. Pretty hard to find these days

YUTSIvS.jpg

Huggers

That thing looks badass, like a piece of vintage musical equipment.

Yeah it weighs a ton for it's size too. Well pleased to get one because the only place I could find a new one was some company in the Czech Republic and it was really expensive. Even this second hand one cost me over £40

Yeah it weighs a ton for it's size too. Well pleased to get one because the only place I could find a new one was some company in the Czech Republic and it was really expensive. Even this second hand one cost me over £40
"Heavy is reliable, if it does not work you can always hit him with it." - Boris the Blade
"Is it heavy? Then it's expensive, put it away." - lawyer from Jurassic Park

woxel1

I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone in this thread for getting me interested in CRT technology. After playing some of these games on cruddy LCDs for so long – one 27" FV310 later – it's like seeing them again for the first time!

TVC 15

Neo Member
So I've managed to aquire what I think is the European equivalent of the Nec XP29 in the UK. I have a feeling this is rarer than rocking horse shit. Its labelled as the NEC GBM-70 and comes with a full compliment of VGA, S-Video and component inputs.

Thing is a bloody beast!

Ive tested my macbook pro through VGA and despite MAC OS x insistence on umderscanning the shit out of the image it looks fantastic.

So, questions...

I 'think' this is the euro XP29 but im not 100% sure. It has the old school Itallic NEC logo so may even predate it, the geometry controls are limited, so will habe to risk opening the case up? Also I can find the XM29 manual but no luck with anything for a gbm70.

I leave my questions to you rgb Gods and hope my pleas are answered. Feel like buying a matching nec pc engine, would look cute.

I 'think' this is the euro XP29 but im not 100% sure. It has the old school Itallic NEC logo so may even predate it, the geometry controls are limited, so will habe to risk opening the case up? Also I can find the XM29 manual but no luck with anything for a gbm70.
Could it be the DM-3000P? That's a 30 inch NEC with similar inputs and everything to teh XM series, just a lower end version.
Edit: Nevermind, the DM series doesn't have VGA inputs, so it can't be that.

TVC 15

Neo Member
Ill take some pics of the GBM and post after work tommorow. This is quite an odd duck I've found.

Edit: It also has a 9-pin dsub connector with a switch between it and the standard 15 VGA d-sub. I think older Quadra Macs used this.

And also a 9pin dsub for external remote control. This thing must have cost a bomb in the late 80s early 90s.

StereoVsn

Reposting from another thread. I have a pretty basic question.

What's the best way to hook up a PS2 to a modern TV set? I am already using component cables and it still looks blurry like hell on my Sony 1080p 55" set (Yakuza, SMT games, Rogue Legacy, etc). I am not going to go out and get a decent CRT set as I simply don't have the space. To boot my TV is fairly fast as far as lag goes and normally TV upscaler works fairly well for FIOS regular channels , much better then some LED LCD TVd I have seen.

Is there an external upscaler of some sort that can help? PS2 slim is set to 1080 in the console menu. As it is right now this is why I normally emulate as things look a lot better even with some minor artifacts. I have taken a look at Framemeister and that seems somewhat of an overkill for just PS2. Although I do have a Dreamcast as well I guess.

Another suggestion was getting original 60gb PS3.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Reposting from another thread. I have a pretty basic question.

What's the best way to hook up a PS2 to a modern TV set? I am already using component cables and it still looks blurry like hell on my Sony 1080p 55" set (Yakuza, SMT games, Rogue Legacy, etc). I am not going to go out and get a decent CRT set as I simply don't have the space. To boot my TV is fairly fast as far as lag goes and normally TV upscaler works fairly well for FIOS regular channels , much better then some LED LCD TVd I have seen.

Is there an external upscaler of some sort that can help? PS2 slim is set to 1080 in the console menu. As it is right now this is why I normally emulate as things look a lot better even with some minor artifacts. I have taken a look at Framemeister and that seems somewhat of an overkill for just PS2. Although I do have a Dreamcast as well I guess.

Another suggestion was getting original 60gb PS3.

Check and make sure that you're booting the games in 480p mode, when applicable. Some games have progressive scan support, but I think several of them require a button code to activate it when you boot them. A quick Google search should reveal the specifics. EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

The main problem with the PS2, though, is that its library does not have widespread progressive scan support in the first place. 480p support is more common on the DC, GCN, and Xbox, while a greater percentage of PS2 games are 480i only. 480i is always going to be a mess on flatscreen TVs in one way or another.

StereoVsn

Check and make sure that you're booting the games in 480p mode, when applicable. Some games have progressive scan support, but I think several of them require a button code to activate it when you boot them. A quick Google search should reveal the specifics. EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

The main problem with the PS2, though, is that its library does not have widespread progressive scan support in the first place. 480p support is more common on the DC, GCN, and Xbox, while a greater percentage of PS2 games are 480i only. 480i is always going to be a mess on flatscreen TVs in one way or another.

Yeah, unfortunately Yakuza 1 and 2 are 480i I believe. They have this pseudo 16x9 mode but I think it just cuts off top and bottom and zooms in.

Sixfortyfive

The PS2 is literally the one mainstream console that benefits the most from a CRT. Interlaced video just doesn't function right on anything else. A Framemeister would help a lot, but it's definitely an expensive option.

Sixfortyfive

i've heard the XRGB3 is actually a bit better for PS2. Obviously don't have one to compare, though.

Depends on what you're looking for. The XRGB-3 has two operating modes, and the way they handle deinterlacing is entirely different.

In B1 mode, it just handles each field separately, doubles the line count, and shifts the picture a little to tone down the "wobble" or "flicker" effect. It doesn't try to interpolate the missing field of each frame at all. This is lag-free and pleasant enough to look at, but it's also locked to 480p output only. It doesn't upscale to high resolutions.

In B0 mode, it functions as a full upscaler and actually does try to interpolate each field, but is a little bit laggier and from what I've been told does a worse job at this than what the Framemeister does.

In terms of pure video quality, I wouldn't be surprised if the Framemeister handles 480i deinterlacing better, but I'd prefer the XRGB-3 solely due to the lag-free option.

StereoVsn

Not sure about XRGB-3 as the setup sounded somewhat complicated and I really just need it for PS2 (got Dreamcast but have a VGA adapter). Heck even Freimeister is overkill considering pricing.

What about fat PS3 option? Not that I would "love" having two PS3 consoles but I can remove PS2 then.

Ramune

Not sure about XRGB-3 as the setup sounded somewhat complicated and I really just need it for PS2 (got Dreamcast but have a VGA adapter). Heck even Freimeister is overkill considering pricing.

What about fat PS3 option? Not that I would "love" having two PS3 consoles but I can remove PS2 then.

If your looking to play Yakuza 1 I think at one point, it actually froze on my "partial" BC-80GB PS3 (not sure the same would happen on a 60GB original), and had to play on my PS2 to get past it and one other part, but just a heads up and a call to see if anyone else experienced this...

As for where in particular:
When Kazuma escapes from the Tojo Clan (Jumps out a window or something)

Yazuka 2, I think, is perfectly playable though.

televator

Plus a 60GB PS3 is always on the verge of heat failure. It can be fixed but you really have to know what you are doing. I found out the hard way that the PS3 internals are frail, as you can break off tiny transistors easily.

Honestly I think the best budget solution for playing PS2 games outside of emulation is original hardware with component cables running in to whatever TV you're using. Just gotta suck up the IQ issues. If you've got a CRT, all the better, but even if you don't I think this is the best way to go unless you drop big bucks.

televator

Homebrew for native 480p and an HDMI mod would fix the PS2 IQ 110%, I think. It's strange that "The King of Consoles" lags in the modern mod scene.

Homebrew for native 480p and an HDMI mod would fix the PS2 IQ 110%, I think. It's strange that "The King of Consoles" lags in the modern mod scene.

tbf, it probably lags because most people find it acceptable. People seem less picky about that generation of consoles despite 480i and even 480p being beaten and abused by modern displays.

A swiss-esque solution would work for 2D games -- which suffer more than the 3D stuff for the most part.

Timu

I seriously wished more PS2 games were in 480p as it would make it a lot easier for me to record them instead of having to de-interlace almost all the ones I have.

I'm about to start playing the first Metal Gear Solid for the first time ever on my PS3, and I was hoping I could get some tips on how to maximize the image quality. I'm going to be playing on my 32" Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32FS13. Unfortunately, I only have Composite cables.

Tarin02543

Alright, after lurking months after months in this thread I've decided now is the time

I've just bidded 60 € for a 13cm Sony PVM, I hope i get it

Mega

Banned
^You bought one of those 5" PVMs? Or did you mean 13 inches? I have an 8" model as a fun curiosity but they're too small for regular console gaming.

I'm about to start playing the first Metal Gear Solid for the first time ever on my PS3, and I was hoping I could get some tips on how to maximize the image quality. I'm going to be playing on my 32" Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32FS13. Unfortunately, I only have Composite cables.

Get a cheap PS1 or PS2 for starters. PS3 only does PS1 software emulation with added lag and they're incorrectly presented at 480i.

Going by your TV's manual, get a Playstation S-video cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom