• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Thanks, really good to know as I was going to buy it because it's pretty cheap and in good condition. What do I need to look out for to ensure it's RGB compatible?

PVMs will actually have 4 ports on back: R, G, B, and Ext Sync. Like this:

pvm20m2u2011122d.jpg

See the bottom row which says RGB/Component? Those inputs accept both formats.

On this PVM, Video A and Video B accept composite, and Video C accepts s-video.

You're probably accustomed to seeing RCA style inputs for component/composite, but these are BNC style inputs. They work the same way but you need very common converters to use them. Like this:
BNC inputs are common in broadcast equipment and RCA is standard in home equipment. There is no difference between them.

To convert from SCART to BNC, you'll need one of these:

It's all very easy to acquire and set up. Just make sure you don't use JP21 cables on a Euro SCART style converter and nothing will go wrong.

Peagles

Master System II I presume.

Naturally. They seem to outnumber the first version here by about 50 to 1.

I was impressed my friend managed to get the console CIB though. She's amassing some good games too. As well as Miracle World we had a jam on Castle of Illusion and Sonic. I also let her borrow Moonwalker and Alex Kidd High Tech World (purely for the game over lols).

Lettuce

Naturally. They seem to outnumber the first version here by about 50 to 1.

I was impressed my friend managed to get the console CIB though. She's amassing some good games too. As well as Miracle World we had a jam on Castle of Illusion and Sonic. I also let her borrow Moonwalker and Alex Kidd High Tech World (purely for the game over lols).

Isnt the MSII RGB enabled out of the box??, if so if you got a correctly wires RGB scart cable you should be able to select 4:3

Khaz

The French SMS2 is pure RGBS. No composite, no RF, no mod or adapter. Rest of the world SMS2 are crap RF-only though.

PVMs will actually have 4 ports on back: R, G, B, and Ext Sync. Like this:

pvm20m2u2011122d.jpg

See the bottom row which says RGB/Component? Those inputs accept both formats.

On this PVM, Video A and Video B accept composite, and Video C accepts s-video.

You're probably accustomed to seeing RCA style inputs for component/composite, but these are BNC style inputs. They work the same way but you need very common converters to use them. Like this:

BNC inputs are common in broadcast equipment and RCA is standard in home equipment. There is no difference between them.

To convert from SCART to BNC, you'll need one of these:

It's all very easy to acquire and set up. Just make sure you don't use JP21 cables on a Euro SCART style converter and nothing will go wrong.
Thanks for this. I'm sure I'll be back here to check when I find another PVM to buy. Such a shame about the one I found, it's in great condition and super-cheap.

Are there any easy mods to force PS2 to 240p? I am interested in 480p also but currently have my PS2 hooked up to an SD TV.

I don't think there's a swiss-like solution for 240p. I believe there are solutions for widescreen and 480p, however. You'd probably have to use an external box like an extron product (I think that's the company).

D.Lo

I don't think there's a swiss-like solution for 240p. I believe there are solutions for widescreen and 480p, however. You'd probably have to use an external box like an extron product (I think that's the company).

There's the GS Mode Selector tool if you have Free McBoot.

It doesn't work with everything, but does with some things.

You can also hex-edit isos to force 240p if you're running an HD loader, but you need to know what you're doing.

D.Lo

My understanding is that it doesn't force real native 480p. It looked terrible from my experience with it.
It's all based on the internal resolution of the game, so varies widely. It's real if the internal resolution is 480p+. Same goes for hex editing, which is a better solution long term to avoid booting via a series of menus.

I can say for sure many PAL games which had a pro scan NTSC version render at at least 480p internally, and look much better forced to 480p. Gradius V is a world better on my plasma.

The 240p stuff works great too for some titles. I can't remember which I'd have to check.

Where it gets funny are the even higher resolutions. Just like GT4, they are indeed fake in most cases. There are some that seem to work for real, but if you go over 480p there are always side effects. I ran Silent Hill 3 in HD and it looked quite amazing - but ran at 1/4 speed!

I finally got round to testing the 2.0a firmware on the Framemeister.

It pretty much resolves the majority of the issues I had using the unit with my supergun and CPS2/CPS3, thanks to the scanline adjustability and the much improved synch options.

Shame (well not really) that I got a PVM though, because since getting that I have felt no urge to use my framemmeister.

yes

aw man
Yeah bummer. Do people sell modded PS2s with these capabilities and games loaded onto an HD? I was playing Katamari Damacy on my SD Trinitron and the flickering from 480i is pretty bad. I put in Mortal Kombat Trilogy and with the 240p it looked like the TV had been fixed from something as compared to the 480i.

Peltz

No, I'm pretty sure this game room wouldn't exist otherwise.

Don't be so sure. My last girlfriend demanded I display my amibo figures rather than keep them in a drawer. She also thought I needed some gaming art on my walls... but I don't really think it fits the decor.

I'm married and I keep all my game stuff out in our living room. I even have one of my Club Nintendo Platinum 2013 posters on the wall next to me, plus gunpla on display with game figures. It really depends on who you're with.

Are OEM SNES JP21 cables particularly rare? I need to make a list of hardware related stuff to hunt for in HardOff junk boxes and I was thinking that. I can't really think of anything else unfortunately.

Peltz

I'm married and I keep all my game stuff out in our living room. I even have one of my Club Nintendo Platinum 2013 posters on the wall next to me, plus gunpla on display with game figures. It really depends on who you're with.

Are SNES JP21 cables particularly rare? I need to make a list of hardware related stuff to hunt for in HardOff junk boxes and I was thinking that. I can't really think of anything else unfortunately.

I have a first party JP21 cable in with box if you're interested:

12469446_10101261306927710_819803403523486492_o.jpg

I'll give you a deal on it being a fellow Gaffer and all.

I've bought it before I realized that I wanted Euro SCART instead.

I have a first party JP21 cable in with box if you're interested. I'll give you a deal on it being a fellow Gaffer and all.

I'd take you up on that but I'm kinda hoping to run across one for like a dollar like I did some of my other cables. I'm actually not too displeased with my s-video cables at the moment, just want something to keep an eye out for.

Mike Golf

I have a first party JP21 cable in with box if you're interested:

12469446_10101261306927710_819803403523486492_o.jpg

I'll give you a deal on it being a fellow Gaffer and all.

If the other gaffer doesn't bite I actually bought a Euro SCART cable for SNES and need the JP one. It's not an official Nintendo branded cable so may not be a 1:1 trade, but just throwing it out there.

Mega

Banned

LOL @ the person who told the married woman "and no girlfriend," implying only a single guy who can't get a girl would have such a setup. A person with that mentality must be the insecure type who thinks you have to hide your games and shit (or not own any) in order to meet someone and have them accept you.

I'm at a dozen consoles, two gaming PCs, a few handhelds and 6 hefty CRTs in my place. I'm not single and alone. And I wouldn't waste my time with anyone who has a problem with my hobbies.

goldenpp72

LOL @ the person who told the married woman "and no girlfriend," implying only a single guy who can't get a girl would have such a setup. A person with that mentality must be the insecure type who thinks you have to hide your games and shit (or not own any) in order to meet someone and have them accept you.

I'm at a dozen consoles, two gaming PCs, a few handhelds and 6 hefty CRTs in my place. I'm not single and alone. And I wouldn't waste my time with anyone who has a problem with my hobbies.

In the end I should own 4000 games, something like 40-50 consoles and have 4 dedicated setups for the spread taking up one floor, all laced with a bunch of gaming decor and such.. My fiancee of 8 years has helped me the entire way to get it setup, and she's a pretty nice looker too. No need to settle on people who judge your hobbies poorly I say :p

Peltz

If the other gaffer doesn't bite I actually bought a Euro SCART cable for SNES and need the JP one. It's not an official Nintendo branded cable so may not be a 1:1 trade, but just throwing it out there.
Thanks, but all my SCART needs are currently being met at the moment.

RedSquare

Hmmm...

Just upgraded my childhood N64 with an rgb amp and everything worked out fine, but sheesh, N64 graphics are so blurry, it barely makes a difference on my PVM.

Mega

Banned
The clear RGB makes the texture smear filter and blurring clearer than ever, if that makes any sense. The solution is a CRT with modest amount of TV lines. N64 looks better on my 600 line 14 inch PVM than my 800- and 900-line BVMs. It's nuts.

Peltz

The clear RGB makes the texture smear filter and blurring clearer than ever, if that makes any sense. The solution is a CRT with modest amount of TV lines. N64 looks better on my 600 line 14 inch PVM than my 800- and 900-line BVMs. It's nuts.
Agreed. On XRGB Mini the smearing filter is even that much more prominent and it looks a bit gross.

N64 was absolutely made for a consumer grade CRT set.

Peagles

Anyone messed with the FBX XRGB Mini profiles? We found a microSD while tidying so I've upgraded the firmware and now giving these a shot. They look pretty good but don't take up much of the screen. I've read the instructions but if I choose no scaling from my TV it's pretty small. I can only get it close to full screen by using zoom functions on my TV (which don't look too bad) but I'd rather do it properly if there is a way.

Edit: UGH also the whole screen starts flashing green now when the XRGB Mini has been on for a few minutes, halp...

Edit 2: halp I am cry did I break my framemeister ?? :(((

D.Lo

Agreed. On XRGB Mini the smearing filter is even that much more prominent and it looks a bit gross.

N64 was absolutely made for a consumer grade CRT set.
I think some games were made with the display limitations in mind, just like Mega Drive dithering 'transparencies'.

Or some devs were lazy and thought it would be hidden under composite blur and CRT glow? Because it could do much better textures than many used.

But some games look good. EG most of Banjo, Mario 64 is super clean, Indiana Jones almost looks like a Dreamcast game.

Timu

...Yeah, I may stick with svideo for N64 through my upscaler.

Galdelico

Hey guys, does the 240p test suite work without any mod/Everdrive cart required, on a Mega CD? I have a Japanese MCD2, which is unmodded, so before I plop a CD-R in it and see it choking to death, I thought to ask. :p

I'm not looking for fine tuning a PVM/BVM, as I'm still rocking a pretty average 21" Sony Trinitron (with a very sublte curving issue in one corner that I doubt it can even be fixed through service mode settings), but since it still displays a great RGB picture, I'd like to get the best it can possibly do, especially in terms of geometry.

Hey guys, does the 240p test suite work without any mod/Everdrive cart required, on a Mega CD? I have a Japanese MCD2, which is unmodded, so before I plop a CD-R in it and see it choking to death, I thought to ask. :p

I'm not looking for fine tuning a PVM/BVM, as I'm still rocking a pretty average 21" Sony Trinitron (with a very sublte curving issue in one corner that I doubt it can even be fixed through service mode settings), but since it still displays a great RGB picture, I'd like to get the best it can possibly do, especially in terms of geometry.

As far as I know, Mega CD doesn't have copy protection so homebrew apps like the 240p test suite should work fine off CD-R. Mega CD is region locked though, so I would think you would need NTSC-Japan header info for it to work on your JP Mega CD.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Homebrew software for Sega consoles should be region-free, because it's really easy and straightforward to add the required information to the game header.

Just try it out.

Hey all, I couldn't find any info online about this so I thought I would ask here. I just got an XRGB mini and some scart cables this past month and things have been awesome. One thing I have noticed though so far is that during the intro to Link to the Past, the Triforce is kind of missing, with only maybe 1 or 2 sides of each Triforce showing up. Any thoughts? I've tried 3 different Link to the Past carts and it's all the same. This is a launch unit through RGB. Has anyone else experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom