• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega

Banned
Are JVC monitors and PVMs generally considered good quality? I usually only see people talking about Sony monitors here. I have access to a few and want to jump on it.

That's because they're the most abundant and a little overhyped as a result. Well, the hype is honestly real and they're great. But if you're looking for a pro CRT monitor there's no need to stick to the Sonys.

I have the 17" JVC HD CRT. 240p looks very similar to the BVM. 480p is very clear and everything pops. I took a few shots of the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom intro but still need to get some good gameplay shots. It looks pretty damn nice.

ypedGqHh.jpg

U60cgOSh.jpg

d69pycOh.jpg

RK8MgTih.jpg

bFDMUich.jpg

Mega

Banned
Yeah, 10 years later, never once seen Wii games looking this good. Very vivid and clear especially in motion. Might be better than HD emulation too, because it's just soft enough so everything doesn't look so stark and exposed when it wasn't meant to be.

Nintendo blew it coming out with this system right when everyone was switching over to cheap LCDs that made all their sub-HD games look horrible. I remember going from 480i CRT to 720p Bravia LCD, both over component. That was a huge disappointment.

missile

I'll try and give your test a go over the weekend if i can :)
Nice. Take your time.
I think the Peaking Freq. coupled with the Peaking Level is a pre-emphasis
filter to rise the higher frequencies of the luma signal to counter the
not-so-steep/low-pole role-off of the luma filter. Hence, the picture should
get sharper when increasing the Peaking Level.

D.Lo

Yeah, 10 years later, never once seen Wii games looking this good. Very vivid and clear especially in motion. Might be better than HD emulation too, because it's just soft enough so everything doesn't look so stark and exposed when it wasn't meant to be.

Nintendo blew it coming out with this system right when everyone was switching over to cheap LCDs that made all their sub-HD games look horrible. I remember going from 480i CRT to 720p Bravia LCD, both over component. That was a huge disappointment.
Yeah it turned out to be a bad decision, in terms of IQ. I kept my Panasonic CRT for another 3 years (and played 360 and PS3 on it fine too over component) and Wii still looked great. When I finally went HD I got a relatively expensive Panasonic plasma which did quite a good job of the Wii too, though not as good as the CRT of course.

There was an unlikely rapid take-up of LCDs though, and people bought them not form image quality but 'flat screens' and space savings. I knew people with PS3s and DVD players hooked up to cheap LCD via composite.

Peagles

Is it hot?

No. Neither the unit or power pack is hot.

I had some issues with firebrands profiles. I think he sets them up for his TV but manually does some of the sync stuff. I had to set them back to auto, and eventually just rolled a few of my own that look good (720p though).

Yeah, FBX's profiles are great for scaling but you need to tweak the other stuff. I had issues with black levels and some other stuff.

Thanks, this is helpful to know.

I really like the profiles Implantgames shares on his how to xrgb series,

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ngkmg51Bea36_jKwc8cjf7fCVunV6MR

Will check these out, thank you!

--

Edit:
Well I changed it back to default settings. Thought I was in the clear but it must be the firmware because after 10-15 min it started flashing green again. Gonna try reflash with a lower firmware now.
Edit2:
Scratch that, there's a higher firmware now that just came out, so I'll try that instead.
Edit3: GAH still flashing on 2.02... Switched to 720p to see if that will help. Which sync option do I likely need to change? Up or down? Thanks you guys are awesome!
Edit4: Tried messing with all of them after it started flashing on 720p too. The only thing that made any different was turning Sync from Auto to Off. Let's see if that holds the image!

I think the best way to experiment with sync is just to keep a low number and move it around a bit.

Does it flash with every console? what about if there isn't a console?

so hey, this guy's got some good info - his tutorial on how to make a a profile was pretty detailed!

any chance anyone's saved his settings to a profile pack they'd be down to share?

I have a bunch of them saved as profiles, but I'm at work right now. I'll try to remember later today to upload them and share.

*edit*

These are the ones I can upload later today.

Sega Genesis
Super Nintendo
Neo Geo AES (slightly modified Neo Geo CD profile from him)
Sega Saturn
Xbox
Playstation 2
Gamecube (component cables profile)

I haven't done yet either because I don't have the console, the mod for it, or rgb cables for it yet.

Gameboy Player
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo 64
Sega Master System
Super Gameboy
Atari Jaguar
Playstation
Playstation on PS2
NES
Playstation Portable
Gamecube (S-Video)

I've done a bunch of comparisons between Implatngame's and FBX's profiles and for me personally I prefer Implantgame's profiles. They give me an image I'm happier with on my tv. It may be different for others.

Also yeah Implantgame's series on how to XRGB is great in general, really awesome how indepth he goes on the different settings and what they do.

Peltz

That's because they're the most abundant and a little overhyped as a result. Well, the hype is honestly real and they're great. But if you're looking for a pro CRT monitor there's no need to stick to the Sonys.

I have the 17" JVC HD CRT. 240p looks very similar to the BVM. 480p is very clear and everything pops. I took a few shots of the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom intro but still need to get some good gameplay shots. It looks pretty damn nice.
Damn. So good.

I'm still searching for my dream wide screen CRT that renders 480p natively. I had the chance to jump on a BVM like that at 300 bucks and I'm still kicking myself for passing. 300 is steep, but Wii is one of my favorite consoles so it would've been worth it in the end.

Mega

Banned
^That's rough. Was it the D24? I would snatch that up in a second at $300. Mine isn't a true widescreen tube but it has a 16:9 button and a matching widescreen bezel that fits on the screen. It's actually pretty nice if you don't mind the overall reduced display size in 16:9 mode.

Yeah it turned out to be a bad decision, in terms of IQ. I kept my Panasonic CRT for another 3 years (and played 360 and PS3 on it fine too over component) and Wii still looked great. When I finally went HD I got a relatively expensive Panasonic plasma which did quite a good job of the Wii too, though not as good as the CRT of course.

There was an unlikely rapid take-up of LCDs though, and people bought them not form image quality but 'flat screens' and space savings. I knew people with PS3s and DVD players hooked up to cheap LCD via composite.

Ugh yeah. Some years back, my cousin bought a huge LCD and I come to find him playing Arkham Asylum over PS3 composite. It was hideous and I had to wonder WHY! I think for a lot of buyers it was also the giant screensize/low weight ratio. 50+ inches, no problem to buy, carry alone, find a spot, etc. Exceed a meager 30 inches for CRT and you have problems you need to overcome with that beast.

Thanks, I think I might try that one out. It's hard for me to find them because I haven't been checking Euro eBay and there are very few SCART products on the American eBay. Do you have a recommendation for a male to male cable once I do get a switch?

Edit - Almost $100 for shipping wtf!?

Yeah it turned out to be a bad decision, in terms of IQ. I kept my Panasonic CRT for another 3 years (and played 360 and PS3 on it fine too over component) and Wii still looked great.
I recently tried PS3 hooked up component (1st part cable) to a Sony KV-32FV310 (480i) and thought it looked pretty bad.

Peagles

I think the best way to experiment with sync is just to keep a low number and move it around a bit.

Does it flash with every console? what about if there isn't a console?

Cheers. Which sync setting are you referring to there?

The only setting that seemed to help only allowed me to select Auto or Off. Changing numbers up and down on the other ones didn't help. I was doing this while the screen was actually flashing so it was kinda hard to see.

I'm moving house soon so most of my stuff is packed up. Right now I've only got the SNES out.

Tarin02543

Hello everyone,

I am proud to present my new toy, a Sony PVM-740 RGB OLED Monitor.

This thread has me fascinated for a long time, while I was browing ebay for a PVM I encountered an auction for this OLED monitor and I just had to have it. It is a small unit, here it is compared to my Panasonic LCD:

Inputs are composite BNC and HDMI (+SDI), my retro consoles are all connected via composite. The best way would ofcourse be a Framemeister but that would mean an extra 300 € investment + matching RGB cables.

Here I am running Shinobi Sega CD through composite:

TV:

One small problem with composite is that I can't get true blacks, everything is dark grey.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and I can't wait to find out what sort of things I'll be able to pull off with that OLED quality.

Hey all, quick question:

Are there any solid CRTs in the 15-17" range I can check out?

I need a couple for Smash, and 17" is about the largest I can fit in my car's back seats.

eEK!

Neo Member
Does anyone know if it is only mono or am i missing something?
Having looked at the sony BVM's they also only have one port for audio

Its mono only, which seems to be standard for most studio monitors.

Although SCART to BNC cables do tend to have stereo RCA plugs, so you could always connect the audio speakers or a headphone amp.

Cheers. Which sync setting are you referring to there?

The only setting that seemed to help only allowed me to select Auto or Off. Changing numbers up and down on the other ones didn't help. I was doing this while the screen was actually flashing so it was kinda hard to see.

I'm moving house soon so most of my stuff is packed up. Right now I've only got the SNES out.

I'll boot up my mini and check some things out, will edit this post.
Try messing with "SYNC_TIME" and "SYNC_LEVEL" under the "SYNC_SET" header. Hopefully your firmware is the same as mine lol.

I've heard SYNC_TIME can help some people with sega consoles that have sync issues, but I personally have always left it at 3.

My SYNC_LEVEL is at 9, which I believe is the default. Try moving it upwards a handful of units and see if that changes anything.

If neither of these things help, I'm inclined to say there's a hardware flaw, honestly. You could try posting in the shmups forum thread, since those guys are way more serious about the device and upscalers in general than I am, but your issue really does seem odd if it persists through a setting reset (Assuming you've done that, it's under DATA on my firmware).

Oh, and you should probably leave SYNC_MODE at auto. I believe OFF corresponds to the NTSC standard.

Mega

Banned
Hey all, quick question:
Are there any solid CRTs in the 15-17" range I can check out?
I need a couple for Smash, and 17" is about the largest I can fit in my car's back seats.

There are a lot of CRTs at 13-14" and 19-20". Not that many at 15-17". I think the 14" PVMs have a perfect size and weight for moving around (as do others in that range). There is the 17" JVC I have and a Panasonic variant -- but they're uncommon, usually expensive and require video cards for RGB/Component and Composite/S-video. I'll admit the screen size is perfect and dimension-wise very close to the 13" sets... no idea why they weren't more 15KHz CRT monitors around this size.

I put some listings you may be interested below. Whatever you decide, talk to the seller and try to avoid UPS as there's a very good chance your monitor will get wrecked. USPS or FedEx only.

Look for "pvm 13" and "pvm 14" and see what looks good with RGB plugs on the back (some are limited to s-video/composite). A lot of hype around Sony PVMs now, may be wise to avoid since with all the unnecessary high price listings. This auction is OK but who knows what the high bid will be near the end.
www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PVM-14M2U-14-COLOR-MONITOR-Rare-Retro-Gaming-Monitor-/361461958444

Ikegami 14" monitor. There are a bunch of TM-14 listed. I want one of these someday.
www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-Ikegami-TM1...deo-Monitor-Display-Good-Screen-/331747088074

JVC 14", cheap and has RGB.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Monitor-TM-R14U-EL-/131609669870?hash=item1ea48c30ee:g:~wAAAOSwmrlUsBD1

JVC 14". Only S-video and composite, but not bad at that the price.
www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-1400SU-Professional-Color-Monitor-/221982011514

I recently tried PS3 hooked up component (1st part cable) to a Sony KV-32FV310 (480i) and thought it looked pretty bad.

Many PS3/X360 games are 720p native resolution (barely) and made to look good for 1080p upscaling on a fixed pixel HD display. A 480i consumer TV doesn't have the fine resolving power to do those games justice. Text is difficult to read and important details may be lost with the low flickery res. As you know, Wii has simpler graphics and lies firmly in the sub-HD/CRT camp with PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

The low resolution (and quality) of the 3DS is why I think certain new games and even Wii ports have no business being on that handheld (MH4U, DKCR, Xenoblade). The scant 240p for games like this seems worse than a big 480i screen. Definitely should have been 480p minimum.

Many PS3/X360 games are 720p native resolution (barely) and made to look good for 1080p upscaling on a fixed pixel HD display. A 480i consumer TV doesn't have the fine resolving power to do those games justice. Text is difficult to read and important details may be lost with the low flickery res. As you know, Wii has simpler graphics and lies firmly in the sub-HD/CRT camp with PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.
Yeah it's pretty obvious when I was playing there was something off about it. If you care about IQ I don't think 480i is an option for PS3/Xbox 360 and later.

There are a lot of CRTs at 13-14" and 19-20". Not that many at 15-17". I think the 14" PVMs have a perfect size and weight for moving around (as do others in that range). There is the 17" JVC I have and a Panasonic variant -- but they're uncommon, usually expensive and require video cards for RGB/Component and Composite/S-video. I'll admit the screen size is perfect and dimension-wise very close to the 13" sets... no idea why they weren't more 15KHz CRT monitors around this size.

I put some listings you may be interested below. Whatever you decide, talk to the seller and try to avoid UPS as there's a very good chance your monitor will get wrecked. USPS or FedEx only.

Look for "pvm 13" and "pvm 14" and see what looks good with RGB plugs on the back (some are limited to s-video/composite). A lot of hype around Sony PVMs now, may be wise to avoid since with all the unnecessary high price listings. This auction is OK but who knows what the high bid will be near the end.

Sweet, thanks! These all being box like in shape would be nice too, as I'm used to carrying the massive, unwieldy CRTs that I've found from people wanting to get rid of them.

Dumb question, but how would I hook up a Wii console to those inputs? They don't look like S-Video. Or am I just not looking at the photos right / they're hidden behind a panel usually?

*EDIT* Wait, am I an idiot? Do I just buy BNC to RCA adapters?

Mega

Banned
If it's a monitor with RGB, get a component cable and BNC-to-RCA adapters. Make sure the monitor actually supports component (YPbPr). NTSC Wii doesn't output RGB.

I think the JVC I posted before doesn't as the connectors are only labeled R G B, but the PVM, Ikegami and this JVC should.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-COLOR-VIDEO-MONITOR-BM-H1300SU-/231572021605

edit:
16" JVC with RGB/Component, pricey tho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-1650SDU-A-16-SECURITY-COLOR-MONITOR-TESTED-/200739531558

Ah, that makes sense why I don't see more of these higher end CRTs at tournaments then. So to make sure this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221982011514?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Even if I bought S-video composite connectors, would not work with a Wii due to the RGB output issue?
There doesn't seem to be any Wii component S-video cables.

Peagles

I'll boot up my mini and check some things out, will edit this post.
Try messing with "SYNC_TIME" and "SYNC_LEVEL" under the "SYNC_SET" header. Hopefully your firmware is the same as mine lol.

I've heard SYNC_TIME can help some people with sega consoles that have sync issues, but I personally have always left it at 3.

My SYNC_LEVEL is at 9, which I believe is the default. Try moving it upwards a handful of units and see if that changes anything.

If neither of these things help, I'm inclined to say there's a hardware flaw, honestly. You could try posting in the shmups forum thread, since those guys are way more serious about the device and upscalers in general than I am, but your issue really does seem odd if it persists through a setting reset (Assuming you've done that, it's under DATA on my firmware).

Oh, and you should probably leave SYNC_MODE at auto. I believe OFF corresponds to the NTSC standard.

Thanks for your advice, I love this thread :)))

Those are the ones I tried messing with while it was flashing to no avail, but I'll turn it back to Auto and give it a shot. I'm afraid it'll come back if I set the sync back to Auto. Despite living in NZ all my systems and games are NTSC if that matters.

I did set it back to default under the data part of the menu, yes. My best guess is that the original firmware it came with maybe had different sync settings on it by default, and now that I've updated to the latest there's something different, hence it only happened after a firmware update. Either that or a bad flash has damaged the hardware somehow :(((

Thanks for your advice, I love this thread :)))

Those are the ones I tried messing with while it was flashing to no avail, but I'll turn it back to Auto and give it a shot. I'm afraid it'll come back if I set the sync back to Auto. Despite living in NZ all my systems and games are NTSC if that matters.

I did set it back to default under the data part of the menu, yes. My best guess is that the original firmware it came with maybe had different sync settings on it by default, and now that I've updated to the latest there's something different, hence it only happened after a firmware update. Either that or a bad flash has damaged the hardware somehow :(((

I would think the thing that matters if you're NTSC for sync mode would be your television if I'm interpreting things right, but I haven't had sync issues with any of my systems so I'm not sure. Honestly if none of those options are doing anything I don't think it's a sync issue. I don't understand the XRGB's hardware well enough to recommend any sort of further action outside of the obvious reflashing firmware/different firmware/power cycling/resetting to defaults/etc..

Though writing this, it occurs to me to ask: did you flash it using the proper method? It's been a while, but I think the process is a little bit obtuse. it's possible there was an issue there. it's a weird symptom to be having for something like that, though.

Again, I'd recommend heading to the shmups thread or looking for help from solaris or something.

Mega

Banned
Ah, that makes sense why I don't see more of these higher end CRTs at tournaments then. So to make sure this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221982011514?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Even if I bought S-video composite connectors, would not work with a Wii due to the RGB output issue?
There doesn't seem to be any Wii component S-video cables.

There are no S-video composite connectors nor component s-video cables. S-Video, Composite, Component and RGB are four different kinds of video signals. The Wii supports composite, s-video and component. Composite is the one yellow RCA plug, Component has the three, and S-video is a connector with pins.

I would hold out for a cheap 13-14" set with RGB, Component (and S-video as backup) rather than get that monitor with FUTURE flexibility in mind. Also because RGB and Component are a big step up in quality. But if your budget is that tight or you really need it now, go for it. Confirm with the seller that the screen has no burn-in or other nasty/unusual problems. If you do get it, you need a cable like this for the best signal quality:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L16ZBI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Okay, I'm curious. Was this set expensive?

There's little to no reason to buy a PVM of this nature, especially if you want to play retro on it IMO.

Have to agree. You have room on that thing for a little CRT. That OLED is incredibly small and likely doesn't support proper 240p.

Peagles

I would think the thing that matters if you're NTSC for sync mode would be your television if I'm interpreting things right, but I haven't had sync issues with any of my systems so I'm not sure. Honestly if none of those options are doing anything I don't think it's a sync issue. I don't understand the XRGB's hardware well enough to recommend any sort of further action outside of the obvious reflashing firmware/different firmware/power cycling/resetting to defaults/etc..

Though writing this, it occurs to me to ask: did you flash it using the proper method? It's been a while, but I think the process is a little bit obtuse. it's possible there was an issue there. it's a weird symptom to be having for something like that, though.

Again, I'd recommend heading to the shmups thread or looking for help from solaris or something.

Cheers. Yeh I used the proper method. And I've also redone it with 2.02 just to make sure, and the problem persisted. Maybe I should try go back to the oldest one? It honestly seems fine with Sync set to Off now though.

My TV is PAL but it does all modes. Unlike NTSC TVs ours have supported everything for the longest time. Only super old TVs from the 80s don't do NTSC here. Whether that affects the sync though I'm unsure.

I'll sign up to shmups and see how I go anyway. I assume Solaris doesn't have English language support? Hope I'm wrong!

that list is awesome, appreciate it whenever you can man!

Here are the ones I have right now. It's just 5 for now, it seems I accidentally erased my PS2 and Saturn profiles. I'll remake them this weekend though. Hope this file hosting site is ok, if not I can change it tomorrow.

I'm going to try and create some more based on his stuff this weekend if anyone is interested.

http://www.megafileupload.com/ectH/XRGBProfiles.rar

I'm heading to bed now so sorry if that file hosting is not ok by the site or for you guys. If a mod sees it and it's not right please feel free to change it. If you guys need it somewhere else I can reupload it tomorrow.

Tarin02543

Okay, I'm curious. Was this set expensive?

There's little to no reason to buy a PVM of this nature, especially if you want to play retro on it IMO.

Yes, it was expensive but it was still only the fraction of the current retailprice for a brand new set (PVM 740) which is 3000 $. I won't say how much I paid, so that I won't be treated as a fool around here.

Truth is, I'm a monitor nerd who's obsessed with display technologies. As a matter of fact, my next tv will probably be a sony PVM-250A. I hope to buy one second hand in about 4 to 5 years, obviously I can't afford one now as it's 5000 $.

I'm just happy to own an OLED display which is lightyears ahead of the LG WOLED tv's, no matter how small (7 inch) it is.

Cheers. Yeh I used the proper method. And I've also redone it with 2.02 just to make sure, and the problem persisted. Maybe I should try go back to the oldest one? It honestly seems fine with Sync set to Off now though.

My TV is PAL but it does all modes. Unlike NTSC TVs ours have supported everything for the longest time. Only super old TVs from the 80s don't do NTSC here. Whether that affects the sync though I'm unsure.

I'll sign up to shmups and see how I go anyway. I assume Solaris doesn't have English language support? Hope I'm wrong!
Solaris is basically an import store, so I would be stunned if they don't have english support. In fact, I think I've emailed them before when I was getting my framemeister.

Email: support@solarisjapan.com

Goodluck!
Unrelated, I've actually gone back to my framemeister again recently after quite a hiatus. I still can't figure out how I want my PS2 games to look. tweaking things around to finagle a proper look but I can't manage to balance softness and sharpness. to be honest, though, I was using 480i via scart which isn't optimal. If I was less lazy I would've just immediately moved to my slim -- hooked up via component -- and messed with it there.

On the bright side, I've got a pretty fantastic PSX-via-PS2 setting now.

There are no S-video composite connectors nor component s-video cables. S-Video, Composite, Component and RGB are four different kinds of video signals. The Wii supports composite, s-video and component. Composite is the one yellow RCA plug, Component has the three, and S-video is a connector with pins.

I would hold out for a cheap 13-14" set with RGB, Component (and S-video as backup) rather than get that monitor with FUTURE flexibility in mind. Also because RGB and Component are a big step up in quality. But if your budget is that tight or you really need it now, go for it. Confirm with the seller that the screen has no burn-in or other nasty/unusual problems. If you do get it, you need a cable like this for the best signal quality:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L16ZBI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Alright, thanks for all the advice!

The PVM-14M2Us look perfect in terms of size and features, but the Ikegami monitors look great too. I put in bids for a couple of the less exorbitantly priced ones, but even with the price it'll be worth it to have dedicated travel / tournament monitors and not have to recycle the crap ones I find around town.

Besides, finally playing on component wouldn't be too bad either.

catabarez

Finally got some shelves and a better entertainment center so now I can display all of my consoles. The only one I can't properly display is my Genesis because the CD attachment makes it slightly too big for the shelf. I'm gonna need to get a Model 1 CD pretty soon.

IrishNinja

Here are the ones I have right now. It's just 5 for now, it seems I accidentally erased my PS2 and Saturn profiles. I'll remake them this weekend though. Hope this file hosting site is ok, if not I can change it tomorrow.

I'm going to try and create some more based on his stuff this weekend if anyone is interested.

http://www.megafileupload.com/ectH/XRGBProfiles.rar

I'm heading to bed now so sorry if that file hosting is not ok by the site or for you guys. If a mod sees it and it's not right please feel free to change it. If you guys need it somewhere else I can reupload it tomorrow.

ah, much appreciated - unfortunately yeah, chrome won't let me download that...any other spots, maybe dropbox? no hurry!

Solaris is basically an import store, so I would be stunned if they don't have english support. In fact, I think I've emailed them before when I was getting my framemeister.

again, my reply took a little bit but they fixed my issue right up, great guys!

baphomet

Yes, it was expensive but it was still only the fraction of the current retailprice for a brand new set (PVM 740) which is 3000 $. I won't say how much I paid, so that I won't be treated as a fool around here.

Truth is, I'm a monitor nerd who's obsessed with display technologies. As a matter of fact, my next tv will probably be a sony PVM-250A. I hope to buy one second hand in about 4 to 5 years, obviously I can't afford one now as it's 5000 $.

I'm just happy to own an OLED display which is lightyears ahead of the LG WOLED tv's, no matter how small (7 inch) it is.

Ok, gotcha. This thread is mainly for older CRT BVM/PVMs to be used for RGB retro gaming. As long you didn't purchase the OLED BVM thinking it was going to be the best for that purpose then you're gold.

Teknoman

So if I got my PC engine duo RGB modded, i'd be able to use the cable with the usual Scart to component converter right? No different cables or incompatibilities?

Galdelico

Thanks guys.
Downloaded the suite following the link in the OP, and I found out there are all the three ISOs - American, European and Japanese - into the zip file, so I'll just burn the JP one and give it a try.
Self-quote just to confirm that everything worked fine. Burned the Japanese ISO at 1x speed - as suggested on the 240p Suite page - and plopped it into my Japanese Mega-CD 2. All good. Funnily enough, I found out that my previous settings (done through TV's service menu) were pretty much good to go, and I had to make very little adjustments to ultimately tweak the picture frame.

That said, I couldn't do anything to completely rectify the subtle geometry issue I have with my CRT (it's like a slight horizontal bowing at the bottom right corner of the screen, that becomes more apparent during smooth, vertical scrolling action), which I've read being a common flaw with Sony Trinitron flatscreens. So yeah, I think I'm set, until I'll be able to find a second TV from another manufacturer (Panasonic I believe), or a PVM at a decent price.

Tarin02543

No need to explain yourself. Your money, your decision.

NTSC or PAL?

PAL. It has an interlace mode so it can display 576i correctly in the same manner a PAL CRT would. As a matter of fact it has multiple progressive and interlace modes, I still need to study its deep menus.

Not only are the blacks black, but the motion resolution on this screen is insane. Especially in fast moving 2D games like Sonic CD it is noticable that the image stays clean and sharp at very fast speeds. In my opinion it is this what gives it the image a CRT like quality.

Here are some more shots, I will focus on retro games as this thread is made for that:

Sonic CD, PC version via Steam (Whitehead port), using a retro mode:

Metal Slug, Steam version. Running at 720p, using scanline filter (50%)

Super Mario World, emulated on Snes9x using TV3X filter (light scanlines):

Super Mario World, emulated on Snes9x using custom CRT distortian filter + snes9x scanline filter:

Super Metroid:

Once again, this unit is rather small but the picture quality and picture speed make up for that. Although I'm happy that the OLED market is starting to emerge thanks to LG, their WOLED panels still use colour filters and use a sample-and-hold image technique which is similar to LCD. So you do get those coveted black levels but moving pictures still show blur.

Any questions, Please contact me. i'll be happy to help.

Tarin02543

That looks like an interesting curiosity. Blacks look black.
Does it have a 4/3 mode?
Could you install it on a car?

Yes, you have up to seven F (function) keys which you can assign to several modes, including aspect.

The base of the unit has two different mountings, used with standard tripods. So yes, if your car has that you could fit it.

here's 4:3. Notice how the bars left and right are OFF

edit: some more, all emulated through snes9x. Keep in mind that for each rom I own the physical cartridge.

Hagane (this game is HARD):

Dracula X aka Vampire's Kiss in Europe:

4:3

Full

Terranigma

Snes9x is IMO the best SNES emulator out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom