• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC-Slater

I was able to put a little bit of time in to the OSSC via my Saturn last night. Unfortunately, I was limited to the default settings (480p output) because I didn't have any AAA batteries for the included remote. I was really blown away with how crisp and vibrant everything was, but what surprised me the most was the difference the reduced (non-existent) input lag as a result of using the device. Previously I had been connecting the system to my Panasonic Pro Plasma via composite (because lazy) for very short burst of gameplay. Lord knows what it was doing with that 480i signal, but it wasn't great. Now, everything looks and feels fantastic and so responsive.

A few takeaways from my first hands-on impression:

-240p (which the OSSC seems to read at 263p[?]) stuff looks and feels sharp, stable and vibrant.

-Games that include resolution switches are painless, and very fast and responsive. This was a primary concern of mine, and I am elated with how well the OSSC handles this! I love that my television is oblivious to what's going on with the scaler, and is being sent a constant 480p signal, despite what's going on (very quickly, might I add) with the OSSC. Examples include SOTN (Saturn version) and Radiant Silvergun title/menu screens. It's also neat that the device's display is always letting you know the resolution and frequency of the source in realtime.

I'm going to put some real time in to it this weekend with my Dreamcast, Naomi and Mega Drive. I'll post some screens/videos.

I'll also try out some of the more advanced features, including the image masking (cropping) for the MD overseen, etc.

Peltz

I was able to put a little bit of time in to the OSSC via my Saturn last night. Unfortunately, I was limited to the default settings (480p output) because I didn't have any AAA batteries for the included remote. I was really blown away with how crisp and vibrant everything was, but what surprised me the most was the difference the reduced (non-existent) input lag as a result of using the device. Previously I had been connecting the system to my Panasonic Pro Plasma via composite (because lazy) for very short burst of gameplay. Lord knows what it was doing with that 480i signal, but it wasn't great. Now, everything looks and feels fantastic and so responsive.

A few takeaways from my first hands-on impression:

-240p (which the OSSC seems to read at 263p[?]) stuff looks and feels sharp, stable and vibrant.

-Games that include resolution switches are painless, and very fast and responsive. This was a primary concern of mine, and I am elated with how well the OSSC handles this! I love that my television is oblivious to what's going on with the scaler, and is being sent a constant 480p signal, despite what's going on (very quickly, might I add) with the OSSC. Examples include SOTN (Saturn version) and Radiant Silvergun title/menu screens. It's also neat that the device's display is always letting you know the resolution and frequency of the source in realtime.

I'm going to put some real time in to it this weekend with my Dreamcast, Naomi and Mega Drive. I'll post some screens/videos.

I'll also try out some of the more advanced features, including the image masking (cropping) for the MD overseen, etc.
This is phenomenal feedback. OSSC sounds like a pure miracle device. I love how minimalistic and pure it is conceptually.

Timu

They just posted this the other day on their twitter feed.

CoyrlatUAAETFPc.jpg
No way, I can't believe this is happening!!! I would like for a Sega Saturn one as well(that converts RGB to component of course).

Peltz

No way, I can't believe this is happening!!! I would like for a Sega Saturn one as well(that converts RGB to component of course).
That would make less sense... Your hdtv would still need to process the 240p signal. Might as well just pick up a SCART to Component transcoder if that's your goal.

The Dreamcast component cable makes more sense because most Dreamcast games support 480p output but HDTVs are no longer being made with VGA inputs.

Timu

That would make less sense... Your hdtv would still need to process the 240p signal. Might as well just pick up a SCART to Component transcoder if that's your goal.

The Dreamcast component cable makes more sense because most Dreamcast games support 480p output but HDTVs are no longer being made with VGA inputs.
But I use capture cards though, not HDTVs.=p

I'm not 100% on this but I BELIEVE they said they think they can just make an adaptor to work with their Genesis Component cables to work on the Saturn.

From what they've said they have a few products in the pipeline. I think their focus right now is getting more products made and out for the cables they do have, and doing some RnD for new stuff.

Timu

I'm not 100% on this but I BELIEVE they said they think they can just make an adaptor to work with their Genesis Component cables to work on the Saturn.

From what they've said they have a few products in the pipeline. I think their focus right now is getting more products made and out for the cables they do have, and doing some RnD for new stuff.
Ah that's cool, hope they do something in the future!

Even though this is an issue for so few games it has always been what kept me from getting the xrgb units.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Even though this is an issue for so few games it has always been what kept me from getting the xrgb units.

Me too. Well, I had the XRGB-3, and that wasn't too bad, but everything I'd heard about the Framemeister made it seem unacceptable. I think it was mostly the idea that, even if few games are affected, Chrono Cross is... and I don't want to pay money for a device that won't let me enjoy Chrono Cross.

Needless to say, I've been very happy with the OSSC on that front.

Me too. Well, I had the XRGB-3, and that wasn't too bad, but everything I'd heard about the Framemeister made it seem unacceptable. I think it was mostly the idea that, even if few games are affected, Chrono Cross is... and I don't want to pay money for a device that won't let me enjoy Chrono Cross.

Needless to say, I've been very happy with the OSSC on that front.

It's funny you say that since Chrono Cross was my main reason as well.

How many games even do that 480i menu thing? I know of:

Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana (just the save menu?)
Seiken Densetsu 3

I haven't really run into it as a problem in any game I've played in the last year and a half. I think Wild Arms' title screen was 480i as well, and the PS1's intro screen does that, but it's really not a big deal.

Timu

How many games even do that 480i menu thing? I know of:

Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana (just the save menu?)
Seiken Densetsu 3

I haven't really run into it as a problem in any game I've played in the last year and a half. I think Wild Arms' title screen was 480i as well, and the PS1's intro screen does that, but it's really not a big deal.
The Framemeister hates that though!=O

I didn't see it as a huge issue for the few games I had that did that. Really it was just a couple of PS1 games (for me), and my personal solution was to just play those few on my PS3.

Rich!

I never had any issues with Seiken Densetsu 3 when I used to own a framemeister, and I played that start to finish. The SNES's high resolution mode isn't an issue with it.

It's not 480i, for a start - it's 512x448.

Timu

I never had any issues with Seiken Densetsu 3 when I used to own a framemeister, and I played that start to finish. The SNES's high resolution mode isn't an issue with it.
I don't think SNES's high res mode has any real effect on it, but it definitely does for those PS1, Saturn and N64 games.

Yeah with SNES being 512x448 it won't affect it.

Galdelico

Any idea on how long people like me - who just got in the line for the OSSC - will have to wait, in order to be able to buy a unit? How likely is it going to happen within 2016?

Rich!

Any idea on how long people like me - who just got in the line for the OSSC - will have to wait, in order to buy a unit? How likely is it going to happen within 2016?

look at your subscription settings (link in your email.. there's a number in the URL.

I'm in the low 700s....not expecting it until at least xmas. I joined two to three months ago.

Galdelico

look at your subscription settings (link in your email.. there's a number in the URL.

I'm in the low 700s....not expecting it until at least xmas. I joined two to three months ago.
Haha, wow. If it's the first number after the 'c&nk=' I'm 1108. At least I've got plenty of time to upgrade my TV setup. Dang... Y_Y

Timu

That's interlaced, and like saying the 256x224 mode isn't 240p. It is, they're just not drawing anything on some lines at the top and bottom.
What matters is if the framemeister has issue with it, if it doesn't it's fine. It seems to have issue with 720x480i though than anything really.

dubc35

Looking for opinions, I have a PVM-1351Q and there is a good priced PVM-14N2U nearby I could pick up. Any reason to change? It ups the TVL from 450 to 500 (not sure I would notice). An inch larger screen as well. There are no knobs on the N2U so everything is done via service menu. Idk, I think waiting for a 19-20" would be a better use of my time but I'm by no means an expert on these. Am I missing a feature on the N2U chassis that is significantly better than my 1351Q?

Jinto

I stumbled upon a Sony PVM (20m2mdu) locally a couple of weeks ago when I was searching for a replacement CRT TV. The picture quality on this is amazing. It was pretty confusing at first figuring out what cables I needed and trying to understand what sync is. Still not sure I entirely get it. lol

Anyway, my Scart cables arrived, so I took some comparison pictures between my HD Retrovision component cables and the cables I just picked up from retrogamingcables. Pictures aren’t the best quality, so I apologize for that.

HD Retrovision component cables on my model 1 Genesis:

Scart cables:

I also picked up this Bandridge Scart Switch, and this RGB to BNC cable to go along with it. The cables appear to be good quality, but it seems like the switch has some mixed reviews.

Arzehn

Looking for opinions, I have a PVM-1351Q and there is a good priced PVM-14N2U nearby I could pick up. Any reason to change? It ups the TVL from 450 to 500 (not sure I would notice). An inch larger screen as well. There are no knobs on the N2U so everything is done via service menu. Idk, I think waiting for a 19-20" would be a better use of my time but I'm by no means an expert on these. Am I missing a feature on the N2U chassis that is significantly better than my 1351Q?

I believe the N2U lacks RGB out (passthrough), in case you're wanting to do capture, streaming, etc.

Mega

Banned

The screens are the same size. Something changed between the way screens were measured between the early-mid 1990s PVMs and the later models but 13/14 and 19/20 inches are the same. N2 and N6 models have RGB but lack Component which is a big deal in my opinion. The tiny bump in TVL isn't a bonus. The N line of PVMs in general are the budget line. They're perfectly good and brilliant quality (worth getting if you have nothing or a consumer set)... but if your current monitor has no problems, don't bother with this.

Ramune

I stumbled upon a Sony PVM (20m2mdu) locally a couple of weeks ago when I was searching for a replacement CRT TV. The picture quality on this is amazing. It was pretty confusing at first figuring out what cables I needed and trying to understand what sync is. Still not sure I entirely get it. lol

Anyway, my Scart cables arrived, so I took some comparison pictures between my HD Retrovision component cables and the cables I just picked up from retrogamingcables. Pictures aren’t the best quality, so I apologize for that.

HD Retrovision component cables on my model 1 Genesis:

Scart cables:

I also picked up this Bandridge Scart Switch, and this RGB to BNC cable to go along with it. The cables appear to be good quality, but it seems like the switch has some mixed reviews.

I have 2 Olympus OEV 203s I got from work, and they are pretty much this exact PVM, rebranded. Enjoy it! Awesome monitor! :)

dubc35

The screens are the same size. Something changed between the way screens were measured between the early-mid 1990s PVMs and the later models but 13/14 and 19/20 inches are the same. N2 and N6 models have RGB but lack Component which is a big deal in my opinion. The tiny bump in TVL isn't a bonus. The N line of PVMs in general are the budget line. They're perfectly good and brilliant quality (worth getting if you have nothing or a consumer set)... but if your current monitor has no problems, don't bother with this.
Thanks Mega! I appreciate the response, and thanks again for the heads up that lead me to getting my 1351Q!

leroidys

If you can get Dreamcast VGA cable, there's a cheap VGA to HDMI converter you can grab off Amazon. VGA will output 480p should work with most HD displays. I've used both a straight converter getting 480p as well as a scaler that converts to 720/1080p and both have worked on my TV and monitor.

Doesn't that lose you some resolution though? I found this info on an OSSC review:

"VGA to HDMI transcoders are dirt cheap (starting at $30) and usually work fine. The downside of these is that the analogue input signal gets sampled with VESA resolutions in mind (640x480p), meaning that you're losing some horizontal resolution, if your source does actually output in 720x480p instead. The Dreamcast does that and getting around it required you to get a VGA to component transcoder first and add a component to HDMI converter after that. Not exactly user-friendly (or cheap)."
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html
If you don't want added lag the OSSC is going to be your main choice. If you have patience, HDRetrovision is working on Component cables that do 480p, and there is an HDMI mod being worked on but nothing shown, nor a release date announced yet.

Oooh, awesome. So these component cables would be doing all the work, and I wouldn't need a vga box or scaler?

Rich!

The SNES can output 480i too - which I never knew before, but I don't think anything uses it aside from the 240p test suite which has an option for it.

The cables appear to be good quality, but it seems like the switch has some mixed reviews.

I own the auto-switch model of the Bandridge and have had zero issues. In any case, the issues I have heard about it don't affect the quality at all, it's more of a convenience issue with certain consoles only working on input 5. In any case, there are simple fixes for this.

Since there appears to be almost no info regarding SCART splitters, I've taken it upon myself to order a Shinybow SB-3715 distribution amp/splitter, as well as the cheapest piece of garbage splitter I could find on Amazon. Looking forward to playing with them. Rooting for the garbage splitter; go garbage products!!

Khaz

Any manual switch should work as a splitter. You wouldn't get dual display though, you'd have to choose one or the other.

Need dat dual display, want to play on my PVM and to my capture set up, too.

I wish the OBS profile I'm using got pushed through the output of my Elgato, but playing on the PVM will be even better.

Rich!

Just phoned Parcelforce who directed me to royal mail who directed me to HMRC who directed me to HWDC. My parcel is likely lost.

I am beyond fucking livid right now. £280 down the fucking drain. I contacted Solaris Japan and they said they can't do anything for another week, but even then I'm still fucked.

Peltz

Just phoned Parcelforce who directed me to royal mail who directed me to HMRC who directed me to HWDC. My parcel is likely lost.

I am beyond fucking livid right now. £280 down the fucking drain. I contacted Solaris Japan and they said they can't do anything for another week, but even then I'm still fucked.

Damn Rich. I really hope it turns up and everything works out.

That sucks :-/

Rich!

My avatar change has brought me nothing but bad luck

Wish I had subbed to the ossc list sooner - I would have gone for that rather than the xrgb, and I wouldn't have lost all my money as it would have shipped from within a two hour drive from my house

Sigh

Galdelico

That sucks, Rich, but don't give up yet. It's summertime, and by my personal experience, posting/handling/delivering mail and packages is usually a little bit slower than usual.
I didn't follow the whole story... Don't you have any tracking number to look up at?

Rich!

That sucks, Rich, but don't give up yet. It's summertime, and by my personal experience, posting/handling/delivering mail and packages is usually a little bit slower than usual.
I didn't follow the whole story... Don't you have any tracking number to look up at?

Tracking ends at overseas despatch from Tokyo. I've spoken to royal mail, parcelforce, hmrc and Japan post - they all say it is unusual to not have been scanned in yet, and would have been scanned even if in customs. They also said my tracking number would work all the way to final delivery.

Only reason it hasn't been updated is because it's lost. It should have reached Heathrow two weeks ago.

The only hope I have is that 1. I might have insurance via Japan post...maybe? 2. I paid for it via PayPal with the majority from my credit card, so I could go that route via claiming if lost I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom