• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US man held in UAE 'maximum security prison' for posting a parody video

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
BBC News said:
A rights group says a US man is being held in a maximum security prison in UAE accused of endangering national security after posting a parody video about youth culture in Dubai.

Shezanne Cassim, a consultant, is the first foreign national to be charged under a 2012 cybercrimes law, says the Emirates Centre for Human Rights.

Mr Cassim has been held since April without a trial date, says the centre.

It says the law has also been used to prosecute local political activists.

A number of other foreign nationals who took part in the video have also been detained, says the London-based Emirates Centre for Human Rights.

Shezanne Cassim, 29, moved to Dubai in 2006 after graduating from the University of Minnesota, and later became a business consultant in the aviation division of PricewaterhouseCoopers, said his brother Shervon.

An American citizen, born in Sri Lanka, he was arrested in April 2013 and had his passport seized by the authorities in Dubai, says the Emirates Centre for Human Rights.

The centre say the charges against Mr Cassim include violation of Article 28 of the cybercrimes law, which provides for imprisonment and a fine of up to 1m dirhams ($272,000) for anyone who uses information technology to publish caricatures that are "liable to endanger state security and its higher interests or infringe on public order".

[...]

Set in the Satwa district of Dubai, the video is a mock documentary about the Satwa Combat School, a fictional establishment in which students are taught to throw sandals as a form of weapon, and seek aid through the social media when in need of back-up.

In a statement, Mr Cassim's family said it poked fun at teenagers in Dubai who styled themselves as "gangstas" but were more known for their mild behaviour.

It opens with the explanatory text: "The following events are fictional and no offence was intended to the people of Satwa or UAE."

Shezanne Cassim had been refused bail on several occasions, said his family, adding that he was due to return to court on 16 December.

QQGu0D8.jpg

(Cassim seen far right in youtube video "Ultimate Combat System: The Deadly Satwa G's")

19-minute Youtube video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUk5CB9kaBY

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25137424

If you're into MMA/Deadliest Warrior/Street gangs style documentaries videos and you're familiar with UAE culture/customs then you will find this video hilarious (I laughed at hte 2pac/snoop part). However, it is still somewhat distressing to know that the person who created the video is locked up in jail. For a country and city that portrays itself as modern and forward in comparison to it's neighbours in the region, it is concerning to see that a person can be jailed for creating a harmless video intended for fun.

It's also confusing to understand why the Dubai authorities felt the need to arrest this person. The film did not contain any insults directed towards religion or the current rulers of the country...not that these reasons justifies putting someone in jail anyway. I certainly do not believe this man posed any threat to their state security and he certainly should not have been jailed.

GAF thoughts?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For a country and city that portrays itself as modern and forward in comparison to it's neighbours in the region, it is concerning to see that a person can be jailed for creating a harmless video intended for fun.

It's also confusing to understand why the Dubai authorities felt the need to arrest this person. The film did not contain any insults directed towards religion or the current rulers of the country...not that these reasons justifies putting someone in jail anyway. I certainly do not believe this man posed any threat to their state security and he certainly should not have been jailed.

GAF thoughts?
The UAE in general accepts no criticism at all and likes their foreigners shut and servile.

Dead Man

Endanger state security? LOL

Seriously though, don't poke totalitarian regimes unless you are prepared to pay. Fucked up shit from UAE, but it's par for the course. Anyone who goes there and acts like they are in a country with human rights is taking a chance.

Mohonky

What do you expect country is a shit hole trying desperately to get tourists money by advertising itself as a forward think, modern progressive society that is in reality as ass backward as any of the small towns surrounding it. I dont know why touritst advisories havent slammed the place as no go places for tourism and foreign workers.

Kurdel

Banned
I am visiting the UAE this week.

As a canadian, I have to say thatt his country is really awesome and I believe this story is a conspiracy to make the UAE look bad. And even if it is true, he looked for trouble IMO.

I will post more of my opinions on this incredible country when I have my feet back at home!

As a canadian, I have to say thatt his country is really awesome and I believe this story is a conspiracy to make the UAE look bad. And even if it is true, he looked for trouble IMO.

I will post more of my opinions on this incredible country when I have my feet back at home!

:lol

Dead Man

LOL :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

<3

Mohonky

He looked for trouble? You mean, he dared do what we in the free world do? Are you serious?

You havent been there yet and you already have an opinion formed on this incredible country?

xbhaskarx

I like old Soviet era jokes and this reminded me of one:

Two brothers, John, and Bob, who lived in America and were members of
the communist party, decided to emigrate to the USSR. Even though they
didn't believe the American media's negative reports on the conditions
in the USSR, they decided to exercise caution. First, only John would
go to Russia to test the waters. If, contrary to the media reports,
the living conditions were good, and the reports about
persecutions by the KGB false, than John would write a letter to Bob
using black ink whose color would signify that the letter is to be
taken at face value. If the situation in the USSR happened to
be bad, and John would be afraid of writing the truth, he would use
red ink thus indicating that whatever he says in the letter must not
be believed.
In three months John sent his first report. It was in black ink and
read, "Dear brother Bob! I'm so happy here! It's a beautiful country,
I enjoy complete freedom, and high standard of living. All the
capitalist press wrote was lies. Everything is readily available!
There is only one small thing of which there's a shortage, namely red
ink."

BigDug13

He looked for trouble? You mean, he dared do what we in the free world do? Are you serious?

You havent been there yet and you already have an opinion formed on this incredible country?

Reread everything he wrote, put it in the context of this story.

Kurdel

Banned

I have been here for 5 days and believe me it is enough time to form a solid opinion of this young and very culturally diverse country.

Expats come here for the economic freedom of no taxes and excellent jobs, if hey play with fire they will be burned.

I like old Soviet era jokes and this reminded me of one:

Hahah I like that story!

Of course here the only shortage I have to admit is alcohol! But you know what? Look at what they managed to build as a stone sober country. It really makes me think how my country would be if alcohol were prohibited too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom