• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

Ashour

temp said:
Holy shit that looks impossible. How can you read the notes that fast?
I think with a bit of practice this is manageable, after all this is the purpose of the mode me think.

The game still packs the drop-in/drop-out features so that friends and family can pop in whenever they feel like it, three-part harmony mics and the ability to have four drum sets or whatever kind of instrument combo you like; allowing for a total of seven players at once.

Um...probably already discussed but I think they are are confusing this with GH. RB has never had that feature. Also, IGN, get a fucking editor.

Using the pro-controller the game has guitar tabs.

Come on Harmonix, give us a way to upload the millions of tabs already existing.

No sound, I know, but hey, it would be cool.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Space Cadet said:
Um...probably already discussed but I think they are are confusing this with GH. RB has never had that feature. Also, IGN, get a fucking editor.
Still not as bad as the Gamespot article that said Sister Christian was by Foreigner. Maybe they meant 'Cold as Ice' instead. :0

RotBot

It's nice that I only need the $40 MIDI adapter for the keyboard part. But oh man, I don't want to think about how much the Squier Stratocaster is going to cost. Probably double what I paid for my regular Squier Strat.

EYEL1NER

Stuck said:
*High five*

The more plastic instruments that can be substituted for real ones at this point, the better. Lets just have Natal read everyone playing normal instruments by RB4.
Wow...I guess if that is what everyone else wants, then they should go for it, but fuck that. That is when I will stop playing music games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
rb3_box_art.jpg

Raistlin

Marty Chinn said:
My wife has a keyboard cuz she wanted to learn to play piano and I just looked to see that it has a MIDI out port. Is there any reason to have the peripheral over the midi box adapter at that point for someone who is a complete beginner?

Not that I'm aware of.

Minsc

Gold Member
Really excited for this! Will be grabbing the Fender Squier, looking forward to getting back in to guitar again (my old Carvin guitar is quite warped and a little weathered), glad I waited!

Although I still have to buy a lot of the older titles to get the songs in RB3, which a couple people replied to me earlier how to go about it, unless maybe they release a complete song upgrade disc for new RB3 players

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The ONLY thing preventing this from being the true GOTF is the fact that legacy pro guitar support is unlikely. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Space Cadet said:
Adding Pro guitar charts to all the existing DLC (1000+ songs).

Yea, they said in that interview they wanted to be very clear that that was NOT happening (only cymbal taps were going to be 100% legacy).

I wonder if they'd consider re-selling them (or at least the more awesome ones) as DLC w/ the pro tabs though?

Ridley327

Minsc said:
Yea, they said in that interview they wanted to be very clear that that was NOT happening (only cymbal taps were going to be 100% legacy).

I wonder if they'd consider re-selling them (or at least the more awesome ones) as DLC w/ the pro tabs though?

If I had to guess, they'll probably go and update the most popular songs with the new features and leave everything else alone. I can see them going back and doing stuff like the Boston or Who tracks, but the more obscure stuff will be left alone.

Ridley327 said:
If I had to guess, they'll probably go and update the most popular songs with the new features and leave everything else alone. I can see them going back and doing stuff like the Boston or Who tracks, but the more obscure stuff will be left alone.

This. "The Final Countdown" WILL get keyboard support eventually. :lol

I hate the box art; it goes with the new realistic direction, but goddamn is it ugly.

EazyB

Banned
Archie said:
The ONLY thing preventing this from being the true GOTF is the fact that legacy pro guitar support is unlikely. :(
No kidding, I completely understand why they couldn't just update the existing 1000 songs with new charts for Pro but it's going to make going back to those songs on guitar very lackluster. Really hope they go back and redo some of those songs and allow people to upgrade their download (hopefully at a discount).

I really want them to find a way that allows me to play the Beatles songs with the keyboard.

Stuck

EYEL1NER said:
Wow...I guess if that is what everyone else wants, then they should go for it, but fuck that. That is when I will stop playing music games.

Well it seems like Harmonix is pleasing all parties by letting people continue to use the old button-style controllers along with those venturing into the more realistic waters. And given how much they stressed the RB franchise being a 'platform' with backwards compatibility through hardware and imported songs, I just don't see them leaving anyone entirely behind.

But, instead of just releasing new songs into eternity using the current mechanics, I think RB had to evolve to keep things from slowly become stale. The luster of RB has certainly dropped off a bit in my circle of friends over time, and I'm very curious to see how this new direction will change things.

I'm personally really excited at the prospect of simultaneously having a blast playing Rock Band while also improving my musical chops, but I can totally understand why that might be way too much work for a lot of people. We will see if everyone can be happy, but I hope Harmonix just goes for it. Bring on the realism, yo.

J-Rzez

Big Ass Ramp said:

:lol

Welcome to really playing a guitar. :D

I didn't notice where it said there's a box to hook your own instruments up to this thing. If they somehow pulled this off to work flawlessly with the game color me impressed. I know there's a ton of software out there now that string/fret notes, mainly for trainers, but it's impressive if they get it to work smoothly with this game. I'll be rocking out on my ESP LTD for sure.

Apoc29

J-Rzez said:
:lol

Welcome to really playing a guitar. :D

I didn't notice where it said there's a box to hook your own instruments up to this thing. If they somehow pulled this off to work flawlessly with the game color me impressed. I know there's a ton of software out there now that string/fret notes, mainly for trainers, but it's impressive if they get it to work smoothly with this game. I'll be rocking out on my ESP LTD for sure.
You can't hook up any analog instrument; only MIDI instruments, e.g. keyboards, electronic drums.

The idea that we could become semi-competent musicians through use of a video game astounds me. This could be the single most ground breaking thing to happen in video games since, well, ever.

EYEL1NER

Stuck said:
Well it seems like Harmonix is pleasing all parties by letting people continue to use the old button-style controllers along with those venturing into the more realistic waters. And given how much they stressed the RB franchise being a 'platform' with backwards compatibility through hardware and imported songs, I just don't see them leaving anyone entirely behind.
I'm just worried that the actual 'video game' part of Rock Band will be lacking, that there will be more focus on the realism. And that maybe with RB4 or RB5, it won't be there at all. It will be real instruments and I am still unsure what I think of that.
I've been wanting to pick up a guitar on the cheap and learn to play since forever and plan to 'one of these days,' but I enjoy playing Rock Band the way it is currently.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
FlawlessCowboy said:
The idea that we could become semi-competent musicians through use of a video game astounds me. This could be the single most ground breaking thing to happen in video games since, well, ever.

I'm already a semi-competent drummer thanks to Rock Band.

Though, you did say "musicians".

Raide

FlawlessCowboy said:

I love the idea of Pro Mode. I also spotted a Midi connection on the Keyboard, so I will be able to transfer my skills over to real music. :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
EYEL1NER said:
I'm just worried that the actual 'video game' part of Rock Band will be lacking, that there will be more focus on the realism. And that maybe with RB4 or RB5, it won't be there at all. It will be real instruments and I am still unsure what I think of that.
I've been wanting to pick up a guitar on the cheap and learn to play since forever and plan to 'one of these days,' but I enjoy playing Rock Band the way it is currently.
The 'videogame' section of RB3 is essentially unchanged. I'm glad HMX is catering to both casuals and uber hardcores at the same time.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So for the idiot I am about real instruments, what will I need to get my RB Keyboard on my computer (or with real speakers)?

kodt

Banned
So it sounds like all RB1 + RB2 DLC will be playable in RB3 (just not pro mode).

But any word on Exporting RB1 + RB2 to your hard drive?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
kodt said:
So it sounds like all RB1 + RB2 DLC will be playable in RB3 (just not pro mode).

But any word on Exporting RB1 + RB2 to your hard drive?

Pro Mode Drums have many songs that will work over the years. They have been charting the DLC annimations correctly for years so those songs will work (maybe since early to mid 08' DLC)

Guitar / Keys won't work though as those haven't been programmed in.

As for exports RB1 is already exportable to the HD (all but 3 songs) and RB2 will probably follow suit one week before RB3 launches......that is unless you are on Wii....

kodt

Banned
Sp3eD said:
So for the idiot I am about real instruments, what will I need to get my RB Keyboard on my computer (or with real speakers)?

A Midi cable and midi interface on your computer.

Could probably find some midi-usb cable I'm sure.

There is a cool game you can play using a midi keyboard called Synthesia, basically is just Rock Band keyboard. You can play the included songs or play any .midi file you find on the internet.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Zachack said:
If the game is going to be essentially displaying guitar tabs I'd love a practice mode where the tabs scroll slowly so I can learn a song and at regular speed with the other instruments playing so I can play along using any of my guitars.

Same with drums, really.
HMX have been putting all of those features in their games since before RB1.

kodt

Banned
Ridley327 said:
RB2 exports are mentioned in the official PR for RB3, so they're definitely good to go.

Nice, Green Day Rock Band too?

I am assuming no go on Beatles: Rock Band for licensing reasons.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
robut said:
God damnit, I was cleaning house and tossed those "useless" cymbals last week!

They pretty much were useless, they never registered correctly for me.

kodt said:
Nice, Green Day Rock Band too?

I am assuming no go on Beatles: Rock Band for licensing reasons.
Yup. RB1, RB2, AC/DC, Lego: Rock Band and Green Day: Rock Band all export. We're all hoping that Beatles: Rock Band exports, but I wouldn't count on it.

EYEL1NER

Archie said:
The 'videogame' section of RB3 is essentially unchanged. I'm glad HMX is catering to both casuals and uber hardcores at the same time.
And I am glad too. I'm not such an asshole that I would lambast a feature many people want just because I don't, but for how long will they cater to both?
I see the video game aspect vanishing in the future or at least suffering quite a bit, like how single player games get pushed to the roadside in favor of shitty mulitplayer.

kodt

Banned
Wired All Wrong said:
Yup. RB1, RB2, AC/DC, Lego: Rock Band and Green Day: Rock Band all export. We're all hoping that Beatles: Rock Band exports, but I wouldn't count on it.

ah yes, forgot about Lego Rock Band :lol good thing I picked up a 250gb hard drive.

Raistlin

Apoc29 said:
You can't hook up any analog instrument; only MIDI instruments, e.g. keyboards, electronic drums.

There are MIDI guitars and you can actually add it to a standard guitar if so inclined ... however, I see no mention of it being supported by the break out box :(

Only keyboard and drums based on the info so far.

Stuck

TheGreatDave said:
The "video game" part of RB3 looks super awesome. Nothing to worry about there.

Totally.

RB is a video game franchise at its core and it owes a huge amount of its success to being a fun game for a lot of people. I haven't seen anything that would suggest that RB is going to morph into some sort of dry musical instruction software. Traditional methods of music appreciation and instruction obviously have their place (and rightfully so), but I'm happy to see RB growing with their more dedicated user base that have already experienced RB1/2 to the fullest and want a bit more.

I think it's more that Harmonix is raising the ceiling for those people, instead of cutting out the base and alienating those that are still digging the core game. If RB becomes a total niche product for people that want to invest tons of time and effort into doing something really difficult, I think it would really hurt sales and general mass appeal. They have to keep catering to both types of people, don't they?

EYEL1NER said:
And I am glad too. I'm not such an asshole that I would lambast a feature many people want just because I don't, but for how long will they cater to both?
I see the video game aspect vanishing in the future or at least suffering quite a bit, like how single player games get pushed to the roadside in favor of shitty mulitplayer.
Something like 10% (max) of RB players play on expert. The number playing Pro mode will probably be smaller. Harmonix would be dumb to switch focus.

Top Bottom